Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Left the eggs in the car

overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they safe
to eat?

thanks
sharkman

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I suspect it was over 90 in the car..

--

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
rg.pbz...

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, sharkman wrote:
>
>> overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they
>> safe to eat?

> how warm is "pretty warm"?
>
> If it were me, I wouldn't worry, but I'm not you. I'd probably cook them
> all into hard boiled if I was a little worried.
>
> I mean, hell, they sit around under hens, and how "warm" is it under
> there?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sharkman wrote:
> overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they
> safe to eat?
>
> thanks
> sharkman

Should be fine. If you are worried about it, just don't eat them
raw. HTH :-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> sharkman wrote:
>> overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they
>> safe to eat?
>>
>> thanks
>> sharkman
>>

> Should be fine. If you are worried about it, just don't eat them raw.
> HTH :-)
>
> Bob

Just had two... seemed ok.. thanks all

sharkman

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sharkman wrote:
> overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they
> safe to eat?
>
> thanks
> sharkman

They'd be in my trash can. The risk/reward ratio here - $2 for eggs,
and the monstrous inconvenience of food poisining - makes this a simple
choice for me.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sharkman" > wrote in message
> overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they safe
> to eat?

One word - soufflé.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:06:22 -0400, sharkman wrote:

> overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they safe
> to eat?
>
> thanks
> sharkman

safe to eat? hell, they may already be cooked.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sharkman"wrote:

> overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they safe
> to eat?

No warmer than under the hen. All eggs should be cooked to a minimum
safe temperature, of course most do not.

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguideli.../chapter10.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2010 7:06 AM, sharkman wrote:
> overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they
> safe to eat?

The do fine over ninety overnight under a chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 30, 5:06*am, "sharkman" > wrote:
> overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they safe
> to eat?
>
> thanks
> sharkman
>
> --

Cook 'em all scrambled or boiled and freeze what you don't eat. Do it
now, don't wait...the little pathogens are multiplying like mad. Kill
'em quick.
==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> sharkman wrote:
> > overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they
> > safe to eat?

> They'd be in my trash can. The risk/reward ratio here - $2 for eggs,
> and the monstrous inconvenience of food poisining - makes this a simple
> choice for me.

This is the only sensible answer so far.
How much is your life worth vs. how much
did you pay for the eggs?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2010 6:06 AM, sharkman wrote:
> overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they
> safe to eat?
>
> thanks
> sharkman

Chickens sit on eggs for 3 weeks and they seem fine. ;-) Refrigerate
the eggs now, and make sure they are fully cooked to destroy any
bacteria. I am going to boil a carton of fresh eggs, so they have been
sitting on the kitchen for about 3 days. Some countries never
refrigerate their eggs, and my mother never refrigerated eggs or butter
while I was growing up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sharkman" > wrote in message
> overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they safe
> to eat?
>
> thanks
> sharkman

Eat them! What's the worst that could happen from trying to save 99 cents?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"sharkman" > wrote:

> overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they safe
> to eat?
>
> thanks
> sharkman

Yes.

Eggs are good at room temp for up to two weeks ime, but ymmv as always...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"J. Clarke" > wrote:

> On 7/30/2010 7:06 AM, sharkman wrote:
> > overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they
> > safe to eat?

> The do fine over ninety overnight under a chicken.

For hatching, my target temp was 101 degrees F. in an incubator.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ema Nymton > wrote:

> On 7/30/2010 6:06 AM, sharkman wrote:
> > overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they
> > safe to eat?
> >
> > thanks
> > sharkman
> >

> Chickens sit on eggs for 3 weeks and they seem fine. ;-) Refrigerate
> the eggs now, and make sure they are fully cooked to destroy any
> bacteria. I am going to boil a carton of fresh eggs, so they have been
> sitting on the kitchen for about 3 days. Some countries never
> refrigerate their eggs, and my mother never refrigerated eggs or butter
> while I was growing up.

I get easier peeling for hard boiled eggs if I let them sit at room temp
for a day or three as well. It really makes a drastic difference.

And the eggs are fine as long as there are no damaged shells. I do
inspect them!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 30, 6:06*am, "sharkman" > wrote:
> overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they safe
> to eat?

It's not terribly cool inside a chicken!

Sure!! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sharkman" > wrote in message
> overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they safe
> to eat?
>
> thanks
> sharkman
>
> --

If you ever had food poisoning, you wouldn't ask the question.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2010 8:17 AM, Kswck wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they safe
>> to eat?
>>
>> thanks
>> sharkman
>>
>> --
>>

> If you ever had food poisoning, you wouldn't ask the question.

But why would someone get food poisoning from eggs that were sitting at
normal egg temperature?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:
> On 8/1/2010 8:17 AM, Kswck wrote:
>> > wrote

>>> overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are
>>> they safe to eat?

>> If you ever had food poisoning, you wouldn't ask the question.

> But why would someone get food poisoning from eggs that were sitting
> at normal egg temperature?

I don't know the answer to the OP's question, but the eggs weren't
at room temperature, they were in a hot car. FWIW.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 10:56:09 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>J. Clarke wrote:

>>> If you ever had food poisoning, you wouldn't ask the question.

>> But why would someone get food poisoning from eggs that were sitting
>> at normal egg temperature?

>I don't know the answer to the OP's question, but the eggs weren't
>at room temperature, they were in a hot car. FWIW.

Normal egg temperature is substantially higher than normal room
temperature.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2010 10:56 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> J. Clarke wrote:

>>> If you ever had food poisoning, you wouldn't ask the question.

>> But why would someone get food poisoning from eggs that were sitting
>> at normal egg temperature?

> I don't know the answer to the OP's question, but the eggs weren't
> at room temperature,

Neither is a chicken.

> they were in a hot car. FWIW.

Chicken temperature is 108F. The normal condition of an egg in nature
is to be inside or underneath a chicken for 21 days. If you want
fertilized eggs to hatch in an incubator you keep it at about 100
degrees F. If the conditions inside an egg were such that toxins
sufficient to cause food poisoning developed in 24 hours at chicken
temperature then the chicken would long since have become extinct.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke:

> Chicken temperature is 108F. The normal condition of an egg in nature is
> to be inside or underneath a chicken for 21 days. If you want fertilized
> eggs to hatch in an incubator you keep it at about 100 degrees F. If the
> conditions inside an egg were such that toxins sufficient to cause food
> poisoning developed in 24 hours at chicken temperature then the chicken
> would long since have become extinct.

Well, chickens are obviously not affected by salmonella the way people are.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:
> On 8/1/2010 10:56 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> J. Clarke wrote:

>>> But why would someone get food poisoning from eggs that were sitting
>>> at normal egg temperature?

>> I don't know the answer to the OP's question, but the eggs weren't
>> at room temperature,

> Neither is a chicken.

I'm just responding to what you said, room temperature.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2010 12:50 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> J. Clarke wrote:

>>> I don't know the answer to the OP's question, but the eggs weren't
>>> at room temperature,

>> Neither is a chicken.

> I'm just responding to what you said, room temperature.

Where did I say "room temperature"? I said "normal egg temperature".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2010 12:40 PM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> J. Clarke:
>
>> Chicken temperature is 108F. The normal condition of an egg in nature is
>> to be inside or underneath a chicken for 21 days. If you want fertilized
>> eggs to hatch in an incubator you keep it at about 100 degrees F. If the
>> conditions inside an egg were such that toxins sufficient to cause food
>> poisoning developed in 24 hours at chicken temperature then the chicken
>> would long since have become extinct.

> Well, chickens are obviously not affected by salmonella the way people are.

So you're saying that something that is harmless to a chicken embryo is
dangerous to an adult human? Try again.

(a) Most eggs do not contain salmonella. There is one rare strain that
can infect an intact egg, but only if the parent chicken's ovaries are
infected. It is estimated that one in 20,000 eggs are so affected.

(b) Egg white contains several mechanisms that inhibit bacterial
growth--a reasonably fresh egg, even if infected, is resistant to
bacterial growth.

(c) In any case, cooking an egg will kill all salmonella present in the egg.

(d) Unlike botulism, which does not affect intact eggs, salmonella
leaves no residual toxins--salmonella only makes you sick if you get a
pretty good dose of the live bacteria.

(e) If you're really that worried about it, put all your eggs in a 145
degree water bath, stick a thermometer into one of them and when it's
read over 140 for three minutes you've got pasteurized eggs.

Of course if you have AIDS or some other immune system deficiency you
need to be more careful--in that case you probably shouldn't be buying
any eggs that aren't factory-pasteurized to begin with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
> On 8/1/2010 8:17 AM, Kswck wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> overnight... And I'm sure the temperature was pretty warm... Are they
>>> safe
>>> to eat?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> sharkman
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> If you ever had food poisoning, you wouldn't ask the question.

> But why would someone get food poisoning from eggs that were sitting at
> normal egg temperature?

I HAD A BRAINSTORM! GAWD, I AM SMART!

I Googled "salmonella in raw eggs." I found out two things, which seem to
contradict each other. One is that the occurrence of salmonella is so low
that the average person is exposed to one salmonella contaminated egg every
84 years.

Second, temperatures in a car in the sun are highly conducive to the growth
of salmonella IF IT IS THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Google is your friend. Become an expert on salmonella in raw eggs in an
hour or less. Impress your friends.

I learned that salmonella is not very common among healthy chickens, and the
incidents of salmonella contaminated eggs are not very common.

But for a dollar, why take the chance.

Salmonella poisoning can kill you.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

barbie gee wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2010, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> J. Clarke wrote:

>>> But why would someone get food poisoning from eggs that were sitting
>>> at normal egg temperature?

>> I don't know the answer to the OP's question, but the eggs weren't
>> at room temperature, they were in a hot car. FWIW.

> it was only overnight, and if the eggs weren't in any way broken, I'm
> still not convinced this would be an issue. I still want to know,
> how HOT was it? Was the car in the shade til the sun set, or what?

The OP said it got to over 90 in the car.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

barbie gee wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2010, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> J. Clarke wrote:

>>> But why would someone get food poisoning from eggs that were sitting
>>> at normal egg temperature?

>> I don't know the answer to the OP's question, but the eggs weren't
>> at room temperature, they were in a hot car. FWIW.

> it was only overnight, and if the eggs weren't in any way broken, I'm
> still not convinced this would be an issue. I still want to know,
> how HOT was it? Was the car in the shade til the sun set, or what?

The OP said it got to over 90 in the car.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> The OP said it got to over 90 in the car.

I'm willing to bet his life on it that
they are safe to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

barbie gee wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Aug 2010, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >>
> >> The OP said it got to over 90 in the car.

> > I'm willing to bet his life on it that
> > they are safe to eat.
> >

> exactly. we (humans, inside us) are always at 98.6 plus/minus a tad, and
> as someone else mentioned, it's 108 deg. F under a chicken.

Actually, I'm pretty much willing to bet someone else's
life on darn near anything. Live life close to the edge,
that's what I say, as long as it's not your own.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> The OP said it got to over 90 in the car.

> I'm willing to bet his life on it that
> they are safe to eat.

(laugh) Yeah, so long as it's not your life.

Personally, I'd toss the eggs out, I'm not big on taking
bad food chances. Just that one case of food poisoning did
it for me.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:

>> Well, chickens are obviously not affected by salmonella the way people
>> are.

> So you're saying that something that is harmless to a chicken embryo is
> dangerous to an adult human? Try again.
>
> (a) Most eggs do not contain salmonella. There is one rare strain that
> can infect an intact egg, but only if the parent chicken's ovaries are
> infected. It is estimated that one in 20,000 eggs are so affected.
>
> (b) Egg white contains several mechanisms that inhibit bacterial growth--a
> reasonably fresh egg, even if infected, is resistant to bacterial growth.
>
> (c) In any case, cooking an egg will kill all salmonella present in the
> egg.
>
> (d) Unlike botulism, which does not affect intact eggs, salmonella leaves
> no residual toxins--salmonella only makes you sick if you get a pretty
> good dose of the live bacteria.
>
> (e) If you're really that worried about it, put all your eggs in a 145
> degree water bath, stick a thermometer into one of them and when it's read
> over 140 for three minutes you've got pasteurized eggs.
>
> Of course if you have AIDS or some other immune system deficiency you need
> to be more careful--in that case you probably shouldn't be buying any eggs
> that aren't factory-pasteurized to begin with.

None of those points actually challenged what I wrote. I didn't say anything
about the health of a chicken embryo. I didn't say anything about methods of
killing the salmonella bacterium. I didn't say anything about the prevalence
of salmonella in the chicken population.

The CHICKEN WHICH LAID THE SALMONELLA-INFECTED EGG was obviously infected
with salmonella. Chickens (along with turtles, iguanas, and doubtless
numerous other species) routinely carry around salmonella with no apparent
ill effects. That's what I wrote, and what you failed to address. Try again.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2010 5:27 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> barbie gee wrote:

>>> I don't know the answer to the OP's question, but the eggs weren't
>>> at room temperature, they were in a hot car. FWIW.

>> it was only overnight, and if the eggs weren't in any way broken, I'm
>> still not convinced this would be an issue. I still want to know,
>> how HOT was it? Was the car in the shade til the sun set, or what?

> The OP said it got to over 90 in the car.

Which is cooler than the inside of a chicken. The yolk has been at
chicken temperature for a day or so before the egg is laid, and if the
egg is going to have salmonella inside it goes in when the yolk is formed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2010 9:12 PM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> J. Clarke wrote:
>
>>> Well, chickens are obviously not affected by salmonella the way people
>>> are.

>> So you're saying that something that is harmless to a chicken embryo is
>> dangerous to an adult human? Try again.
>>
>> (a) Most eggs do not contain salmonella. There is one rare strain that
>> can infect an intact egg, but only if the parent chicken's ovaries are
>> infected. It is estimated that one in 20,000 eggs are so affected.
>>
>> (b) Egg white contains several mechanisms that inhibit bacterial growth--a
>> reasonably fresh egg, even if infected, is resistant to bacterial growth.
>>
>> (c) In any case, cooking an egg will kill all salmonella present in the
>> egg.
>>
>> (d) Unlike botulism, which does not affect intact eggs, salmonella leaves
>> no residual toxins--salmonella only makes you sick if you get a pretty
>> good dose of the live bacteria.
>>
>> (e) If you're really that worried about it, put all your eggs in a 145
>> degree water bath, stick a thermometer into one of them and when it's read
>> over 140 for three minutes you've got pasteurized eggs.
>>
>> Of course if you have AIDS or some other immune system deficiency you need
>> to be more careful--in that case you probably shouldn't be buying any eggs
>> that aren't factory-pasteurized to begin with.

> None of those points actually challenged what I wrote. I didn't say anything
> about the health of a chicken embryo. I didn't say anything about methods of
> killing the salmonella bacterium. I didn't say anything about the prevalence
> of salmonella in the chicken population.
>
> The CHICKEN WHICH LAID THE SALMONELLA-INFECTED EGG was obviously infected
> with salmonella. Chickens (along with turtles, iguanas, and doubtless
> numerous other species) routinely carry around salmonella with no apparent
> ill effects. That's what I wrote, and what you failed to address. Try again.

Fine, live your life in terror of food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2010 4:04 PM, Steve B wrote:

>>> If you ever had food poisoning, you wouldn't ask the question.

>> But why would someone get food poisoning from eggs that were sitting at
>> normal egg temperature?

> I HAD A BRAINSTORM! GAWD, I AM SMART!
>
> I Googled "salmonella in raw eggs." I found out two things, which seem to
> contradict each other. One is that the occurrence of salmonella is so low
> that the average person is exposed to one salmonella contaminated egg every
> 84 years.
>
> Second, temperatures in a car in the sun are highly conducive to the growth
> of salmonella IF IT IS THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
>
> Google is your friend. Become an expert on salmonella in raw eggs in an
> hour or less. Impress your friends.
>
> I learned that salmonella is not very common among healthy chickens, and the
> incidents of salmonella contaminated eggs are not very common.
>
> But for a dollar, why take the chance.
>
> Salmonella poisoning can kill you.

Driving to the store to get more eggs is sixty times more likely to kill
you. Most cases of salmonella don't even result in a doctor visit. For
it to kill you you have to already have somethine else wrong with you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Just to follow up, I took a chance and tried the eggs and I survived so
fa......arggggggghhhhh...

thanks
sharkman
--

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message

>>> So you're saying that something that is harmless to a chicken embryo is
>>> dangerous to an adult human? Try again.
>>>
>>> (a) Most eggs do not contain salmonella. There is one rare strain that
>>> can infect an intact egg, but only if the parent chicken's ovaries are
>>> infected. It is estimated that one in 20,000 eggs are so affected.
>>>
>>> (b) Egg white contains several mechanisms that inhibit bacterial
>>> growth--a
>>> reasonably fresh egg, even if infected, is resistant to bacterial
>>> growth.
>>>
>>> (c) In any case, cooking an egg will kill all salmonella present in the
>>> egg.
>>>
>>> (d) Unlike botulism, which does not affect intact eggs, salmonella
>>> leaves
>>> no residual toxins--salmonella only makes you sick if you get a pretty
>>> good dose of the live bacteria.
>>>
>>> (e) If you're really that worried about it, put all your eggs in a 145
>>> degree water bath, stick a thermometer into one of them and when it's
>>> read
>>> over 140 for three minutes you've got pasteurized eggs.
>>>
>>> Of course if you have AIDS or some other immune system deficiency you
>>> need
>>> to be more careful--in that case you probably shouldn't be buying any
>>> eggs
>>> that aren't factory-pasteurized to begin with.

>> None of those points actually challenged what I wrote. I didn't say
>> anything
>> about the health of a chicken embryo. I didn't say anything about methods
>> of
>> killing the salmonella bacterium. I didn't say anything about the
>> prevalence
>> of salmonella in the chicken population.
>>
>> The CHICKEN WHICH LAID THE SALMONELLA-INFECTED EGG was obviously infected
>> with salmonella. Chickens (along with turtles, iguanas, and doubtless
>> numerous other species) routinely carry around salmonella with no
>> apparent
>> ill effects. That's what I wrote, and what you failed to address. Try
>> again.

> Fine, live your life in terror of food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/2/2010 7:23 AM, sharkman wrote:
> Just to follow up, I took a chance and tried the eggs and I survived
> so fa......arggggggghhhhh...
>
> thanks
> sharkman

It is nice to know you lived, thanks for letting us know that you are
fine.... so far. ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking