Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I finally made the "Rhubarb-Braised Chicken"

recipe which was posted here a while back.

Being a lover of rhubarb I thought it sounded good,
but I was very disappointed. It doesn't taste bad,
but it doesn't taste that good either. And the rhubarb
is wasted in this dish. It really doesn't work for me.
I'm now regretting I made it as I could have used that
rhubarb for another Rhubarb Custard Cake! Oh, well,
I'll be eating it for the rest of the week and this will
be one of the times when I *will* mind leftovers. But
one can't waste food. Oh,well.

I've still got lots over rhubarb in the freezer from by
visit to my friend Jackie back in June. She has a large
patch and always lets me pick as much as I want. I got
about 13 cups of diced rhubarb out this trip.

I have a couple of new recipes to try.

One is a Lithuanian Rhubarb Cake which is a crumb
crust with the rhubarb strewn on top (mixed with flour
and sugar and then some more of the crumbs sprinkled
over that. Pretty simple and I don't see how it can
go wrong.

The other other is a Finnish Rhubarb Pie but it similar
to a kuchen. A sweat yeast dough topped with the rhubarb
and then with a custard of quark, cream, eggs, sugar.

I'm really jonesing for some good rhubarb desserts.

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 13, 2:10*pm, Kate Connally > wrote:
> recipe which was posted here a while back.
>
> Being a lover of rhubarb I thought it sounded good,
> but I was very disappointed. *It doesn't taste bad,
> but it doesn't taste that good either. *And the rhubarb
> is wasted in this dish. *It really doesn't work for me.
> I'm now regretting I made it as I could have used that
> rhubarb for another Rhubarb Custard Cake! *Oh, well,
> I'll be eating it for the rest of the week and this will
> be one of the times when I *will* mind leftovers. *But
> one can't waste food. *Oh,well.
>
> I've still got lots over rhubarb in the freezer from by
> visit to my friend Jackie back in June. *She has a large
> patch and always lets me pick as much as I want. *I got
> about 13 cups of diced rhubarb out this trip.
>
> I have a couple of new recipes to try.
>
> One is a Lithuanian Rhubarb Cake which is a crumb
> crust with the rhubarb strewn on top (mixed with flour
> and sugar and then some more of the crumbs sprinkled
> over that. *Pretty simple and I don't see how it can
> go wrong.
>
> The other other is a Finnish Rhubarb Pie but it similar
> to a kuchen. *A sweat yeast dough topped with the rhubarb
> and then with a custard of quark, cream, eggs, sugar.
>
> I'm really jonesing for some good rhubarb desserts.
>
> Kate
> --
> Kate Connally
> “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.”
> Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,
> Until you bite their heads off.”
> What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?

You have Barb Schaller's, right?

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 13, 1:10*pm, Kate Connally > wrote:
> recipe which was posted here a while back.
>
> Being a lover of rhubarb I thought it sounded good,
> but I was very disappointed. *It doesn't taste bad,
> but it doesn't taste that good either. *And the rhubarb
> is wasted in this dish. *It really doesn't work for me.
> I'm now regretting I made it as I could have used that
> rhubarb for another Rhubarb Custard Cake! *Oh, well,
> I'll be eating it for the rest of the week and this will
> be one of the times when I *will* mind leftovers. *But
> one can't waste food. *Oh,well.
>
> I've still got lots over rhubarb in the freezer from by
> visit to my friend Jackie back in June. *She has a large
> patch and always lets me pick as much as I want. *I got
> about 13 cups of diced rhubarb out this trip.
>
> I have a couple of new recipes to try.
>
> One is a Lithuanian Rhubarb Cake which is a crumb
> crust with the rhubarb strewn on top (mixed with flour
> and sugar and then some more of the crumbs sprinkled
> over that. *Pretty simple and I don't see how it can
> go wrong.
>
> The other other is a Finnish Rhubarb Pie but it similar
> to a kuchen. *A sweat yeast dough topped with the rhubarb
> and then with a custard of quark, cream, eggs, sugar.
>
> I'm really jonesing for some good rhubarb desserts.
>
> Kate
> --
> Kate Connally
> “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.”
> Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,
> Until you bite their heads off.”
> What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?

==
So where are these two wonderful recipes that we might try as well?
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Jul 13, 1:10 pm, Kate Connally > wrote:
>> recipe which was posted here a while back.
>>
>> Being a lover of rhubarb I thought it sounded good,
>> but I was very disappointed. It doesn't taste bad,
>> but it doesn't taste that good either. And the rhubarb
>> is wasted in this dish. It really doesn't work for me.
>> I'm now regretting I made it as I could have used that
>> rhubarb for another Rhubarb Custard Cake! Oh, well,
>> I'll be eating it for the rest of the week and this will
>> be one of the times when I *will* mind leftovers. But
>> one can't waste food. Oh,well.
>>
>> I've still got lots over rhubarb in the freezer from by
>> visit to my friend Jackie back in June. She has a large
>> patch and always lets me pick as much as I want. I got
>> about 13 cups of diced rhubarb out this trip.
>>
>> I have a couple of new recipes to try.
>>
>> One is a Lithuanian Rhubarb Cake which is a crumb
>> crust with the rhubarb strewn on top (mixed with flour
>> and sugar and then some more of the crumbs sprinkled
>> over that. Pretty simple and I don't see how it can
>> go wrong.
>>
>> The other other is a Finnish Rhubarb Pie but it similar
>> to a kuchen. A sweat yeast dough topped with the rhubarb
>> and then with a custard of quark, cream, eggs, sugar.
>>
>> I'm really jonesing for some good rhubarb desserts.
>>
>> Kate
>> --
>> Kate Connally
>> “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.”
>> Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,
>> Until you bite their heads off.”
>> What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?
>>

> ==
> So where are these two wonderful recipes that we might try as well?

Oh yes! Please post them, Kate

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> recipe which was posted here a while back.
>
> Being a lover of rhubarb I thought it sounded good,
> but I was very disappointed. It doesn't taste bad,
> but it doesn't taste that good either. And the rhubarb
> is wasted in this dish. It really doesn't work for me.
> I'm now regretting I made it as I could have used that
> rhubarb for another Rhubarb Custard Cake! Oh, well,
> I'll be eating it for the rest of the week and this will
> be one of the times when I *will* mind leftovers. But
> one can't waste food. Oh,well.
>
> I've still got lots over rhubarb in the freezer from by
> visit to my friend Jackie back in June. She has a large
> patch and always lets me pick as much as I want. I got
> about 13 cups of diced rhubarb out this trip.

Kate, do you find a lot of liquid in the bowl when you thaw the rhubarb?
Or do you use it while still frozen. I have a bag of frozen that I want to
make a bread pudding or a cobbler with....thanks........Sharon in Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2010 3:16 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2:10 pm, Kate > wrote:
>> recipe which was posted here a while back.
>>
>> Being a lover of rhubarb I thought it sounded good,
>> but I was very disappointed. It doesn't taste bad,
>> but it doesn't taste that good either. And the rhubarb
>> is wasted in this dish. It really doesn't work for me.
>> I'm now regretting I made it as I could have used that
>> rhubarb for another Rhubarb Custard Cake! Oh, well,
>> I'll be eating it for the rest of the week and this will
>> be one of the times when I *will* mind leftovers. But
>> one can't waste food. Oh,well.
>>
>> I've still got lots over rhubarb in the freezer from by
>> visit to my friend Jackie back in June. She has a large
>> patch and always lets me pick as much as I want. I got
>> about 13 cups of diced rhubarb out this trip.
>>
>> I have a couple of new recipes to try.
>>
>> One is a Lithuanian Rhubarb Cake which is a crumb
>> crust with the rhubarb strewn on top (mixed with flour
>> and sugar and then some more of the crumbs sprinkled
>> over that. Pretty simple and I don't see how it can
>> go wrong.
>>
>> The other other is a Finnish Rhubarb Pie but it similar
>> to a kuchen. A sweat yeast dough topped with the rhubarb
>> and then with a custard of quark, cream, eggs, sugar.
>>
>> I'm really jonesing for some good rhubarb desserts.
>>
>> Kate
>> --
>> Kate Connally
>> “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.”
>> Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,
>> Until you bite their heads off.”
>> What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?
>>

> You have Barb Schaller's, right?

Well, I don't know. The attribution that I saved with it says
"by Amy Wisniewski". I don't remember who posted it to rfc.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default rhubarb recipes (was I finally made the "Rhubarb-Braised Chicken")

On 7/13/2010 3:36 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Jul 13, 1:10 pm, Kate > wrote:
>> I have a couple of new recipes to try.
>>
>> One is a Lithuanian Rhubarb Cake which is a crumb
>> crust with the rhubarb strewn on top (mixed with flour
>> and sugar and then some more of the crumbs sprinkled
>> over that. Pretty simple and I don't see how it can
>> go wrong.
>>
>> The other other is a Finnish Rhubarb Pie but it similar
>> to a kuchen. A sweat yeast dough topped with the rhubarb
>> and then with a custard of quark, cream, eggs, sugar.
>>
>> I'm really jonesing for some good rhubarb desserts.
>>
>> Kate
>> --
>> Kate Connally
>> “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.”
>> Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,
>> Until you bite their heads off.”
>> What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?
>>

> ==
> So where are these two wonderful recipes that we might try as well?
> ==

Well, I haven't tried them yet. I was going to wait until I made
them to see if I liked them before posting. But I can post them
now if you like. You'll have to do the conversions on the Finnish
recipe. I haven't done them yet. This recipe seems very similar to
a couple of kuchen recipes I have. Especially the plum kuchen that
I made for the 2001 CT cook-in that Margaret likes so much.

FINNISH RHUBARB PIE
(Raparperipiirakka)

Dough:
5 dl milk
2 dl sugar
50 g yeast
200 g butter
~1 kg flour
1 egg
1 t. salt
1 T. cardamom

Filling:
5 dl sliced rhubarb
2 dl cream
2 dl quark
1 dl sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla sugar

Dissolve the yeast into lukewarm milk in a mixing bowl. Add the sugar,
salt, cardamom, and egg and stir ingredients together. Add half of the
flour and knead into a soft dough. Mix soft butter into the dough and
add as much of the remaining flour as is needed. The dough is ready
when it no longer sticks to the bowl or to your fingers. Cover the
mixing bowl with a kitchen towel and prove in a warm place for
approximately 30 minutes. Pour the dough onto a floured baking board,
knead, and roll out with a rolling pin into a thin sheet (slightly
bigger than a baking tray). Place the sheet onto a baking tray covered
with a greaseproof paper. Trim the edges. (From the extra dough you
can form crosswise strips to decorate the top of the pie). Prove for 30
minutes. Place the rhubarb slices onto the sheet. Stir together the
sour cream, quark, sugar, vanilla sugar, and eggs in a mixing bowl and
pour the mixture over the rhubarbs. Raise the edges. Decorate the top
of the pie with crosswise stripes. Brush the dough with beaten egg.
Bake the pie at 175C-200C for approximately 30 minutes, until the crust
is golden brown. Serve the Rhubarb Pie cold with a cup of tea.

I may make this one tonight even though I don't usually cook during the
week - but it seems so easy I can practically make it while I'm heating
my dinner in the mv.

LITHUANIAN RHUBARB CAKE

1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. soda
3 c. flour

Melt butter gently. Meanwhile, mix sugar, baking soda, and flour. Add
butter and crumble. Divide in half and press ½ out to line bottom of 9"
square pan.

Filling:
5 tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. sugar
4 c. rhubarb, cut in 1" pieces (2 lbs.)

Combine ingredients, except rhubarb. When mixed, pour over rhubarb and
toss to coat well. Place in pan with crumb crust and sprinkle remaining
crust on top. Bake 1 hour in preheated 350F oven. Sprinkle with
powdered sugar and cut in squares and serve. May be served with ice
cream. (By Joe Ames)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate posted:

> FINNISH RHUBARB PIE
> (Raparperipiirakka)
>
> Dough:
> 5 dl milk
> 2 dl sugar
> 50 g yeast
> 200 g butter
> ~1 kg flour
> 1 egg
> 1 t. salt
> 1 T. cardamom
>
> Filling:
> 5 dl sliced rhubarb
> 2 dl cream
> 2 dl quark
> 1 dl sugar
> 2 eggs
> 1 t. vanilla sugar
>
> Dissolve the yeast into lukewarm milk in a mixing bowl. Add the sugar,
> salt, cardamom, and egg and stir ingredients together. Add half of the
> flour and knead into a soft dough. Mix soft butter into the dough and add
> as much of the remaining flour as is needed. The dough is ready when it
> no longer sticks to the bowl or to your fingers. Cover the mixing bowl
> with a kitchen towel and prove in a warm place for approximately 30
> minutes. Pour the dough onto a floured baking board, knead, and roll out
> with a rolling pin into a thin sheet (slightly bigger than a baking tray).
> Place the sheet onto a baking tray covered with a greaseproof paper. Trim
> the edges. (From the extra dough you can form crosswise strips to
> decorate the top of the pie). Prove for 30 minutes. Place the rhubarb
> slices onto the sheet. Stir together the sour cream, quark, sugar,
> vanilla sugar, and eggs in a mixing bowl and pour the mixture over the
> rhubarbs. Raise the edges. Decorate the top of the pie with crosswise
> stripes. Brush the dough with beaten egg. Bake the pie at 175C-200C for
> approximately 30 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Serve the
> Rhubarb Pie cold with a cup of tea.

Very interesting! I bet the rhubarb and cardamom go together fantastically.
Thanks!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/14/2010 8:24 AM, biig wrote:
> "Kate > wrote in message
>> recipe which was posted here a while back.
>>
>> Being a lover of rhubarb I thought it sounded good,
>> but I was very disappointed. It doesn't taste bad,
>> but it doesn't taste that good either. And the rhubarb
>> is wasted in this dish. It really doesn't work for me.
>> I'm now regretting I made it as I could have used that
>> rhubarb for another Rhubarb Custard Cake! Oh, well,
>> I'll be eating it for the rest of the week and this will
>> be one of the times when I *will* mind leftovers. But
>> one can't waste food. Oh,well.
>>
>> I've still got lots over rhubarb in the freezer from by
>> visit to my friend Jackie back in June. She has a large
>> patch and always lets me pick as much as I want. I got
>> about 13 cups of diced rhubarb out this trip.
>>

> Kate, do you find a lot of liquid in the bowl when you thaw the rhubarb?
> Or do you use it while still frozen. I have a bag of frozen that I want to
> make a bread pudding or a cobbler with....thanks........Sharon in Canada

Hi Sharon,
I have experimented with this when making my yearly or twice
yearly Rhubarb Custard Cake. At first I thawed the rhubarb
completely and there was a lot of water in the bag. That made
the cake too soggy on the bottom if you included the water. If
not then the rhubarb lost flavor and texture.

I tried using it still frozen and that may work with some things but it
doesn't work for the Rhubarb Custard Cake. What happens is the rhubarb
doesn't sink to the bottom like it's supposed too.

So now I just let it thaw in the fridge over night. It's still
partially frozen but the water has not oozed out yet. That works
well for the RCC. I would think it would also be the best way to
use it in other recipes.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 14, 11:12*am, Kate Connally > wrote:
> Kate
>
> --
> Kate Connally
> “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.”
> Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,
> Until you bite their heads off.”
> What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?

==
Thanks Kate for the recipes...will try them both.
==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:
> recipe which was posted here a while back.
>
> Being a lover of rhubarb I thought it sounded good,
> but I was very disappointed. It doesn't taste bad,
> but it doesn't taste that good either. And the rhubarb
> is wasted in this dish. It really doesn't work for me.
> I'm now regretting I made it as I could have used that
> rhubarb for another Rhubarb Custard Cake! Oh, well,
> I'll be eating it for the rest of the week and this will
> be one of the times when I *will* mind leftovers. But
> one can't waste food. Oh,well.
>
> I've still got lots over rhubarb in the freezer from by
> visit to my friend Jackie back in June. She has a large
> patch and always lets me pick as much as I want. I got
> about 13 cups of diced rhubarb out this trip.
>
> I have a couple of new recipes to try.
>
> One is a Lithuanian Rhubarb Cake which is a crumb
> crust with the rhubarb strewn on top (mixed with flour
> and sugar and then some more of the crumbs sprinkled
> over that. Pretty simple and I don't see how it can
> go wrong.
>
> The other other is a Finnish Rhubarb Pie but it similar
> to a kuchen. A sweat yeast dough topped with the rhubarb
> and then with a custard of quark, cream, eggs, sugar.
>
> I'm really jonesing for some good rhubarb desserts.
>
> Kate

I have probably mentioned that the only time I tried rhubarb in a
savory dish, it was very disappointing. I thought it would at
least be interesting, but it wasn't. Such a waste of lovely rhubarb.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote:

> I cannot imagine using rhubarb in anything that wasn't sweetened,
> even a chutney. Unsweetened, it's a very sour taste but regardless,
> a fairly delicate flavor. I would never bother to try a savory dish
> with it. I think it's best on its own as stewed, in a pie, sauce,
> cake, or in a fool, etc.

Iranians eat rhubarb raw, dipped in salt. But Iranian cuisine favors lots of
different sour flavors.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> On 7/14/2010 8:24 AM, biig wrote:
>> "Kate > wrote in message
>>> recipe which was posted here a while back.
>>>
>>> Being a lover of rhubarb I thought it sounded good,
>>> but I was very disappointed. It doesn't taste bad,
>>> but it doesn't taste that good either. And the rhubarb
>>> is wasted in this dish. It really doesn't work for me.
>>> I'm now regretting I made it as I could have used that
>>> rhubarb for another Rhubarb Custard Cake! Oh, well,
>>> I'll be eating it for the rest of the week and this will
>>> be one of the times when I *will* mind leftovers. But
>>> one can't waste food. Oh,well.
>>>
>>> I've still got lots over rhubarb in the freezer from by
>>> visit to my friend Jackie back in June. She has a large
>>> patch and always lets me pick as much as I want. I got
>>> about 13 cups of diced rhubarb out this trip.
>>>

>> Kate, do you find a lot of liquid in the bowl when you thaw the
>> rhubarb?
>> Or do you use it while still frozen. I have a bag of frozen that I want
>> make a bread pudding or a cobbler with....thanks........Sharon in Canada

> Hi Sharon,
> I have experimented with this when making my yearly or twice
> yearly Rhubarb Custard Cake. At first I thawed the rhubarb
> completely and there was a lot of water in the bag. That made
> the cake too soggy on the bottom if you included the water. If
> not then the rhubarb lost flavor and texture.
>
> I tried using it still frozen and that may work with some things but it
> doesn't work for the Rhubarb Custard Cake. What happens is the rhubarb
> doesn't sink to the bottom like it's supposed too.
>
> So now I just let it thaw in the fridge over night. It's still partially
> frozen but the water has not oozed out yet. That works
> well for the RCC. I would think it would also be the best way to
> use it in other recipes.
>
> Kate

Thanks Kate, I'll give that a try.....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Wayne wrote:
>
>> I cannot imagine using rhubarb in anything that wasn't sweetened,
>> even a chutney. Unsweetened, it's a very sour taste but regardless,
>> a fairly delicate flavor. I would never bother to try a savory dish
>> with it. I think it's best on its own as stewed, in a pie, sauce,
>> cake, or in a fool, etc.

> Iranians eat rhubarb raw, dipped in salt. But Iranian cuisine favors lots of
> different sour flavors.
>
> Bob

IIRC, the savory dish I made many years (decades) ago, was from Iran.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I cannot imagine using rhubarb in anything that wasn't sweetened,
> even a chutney. Unsweetened, it's a very sour taste but regardless,
> a fairly delicate flavor. I would never bother to try a savory dish
> with it. I think it's best on its own as stewed, in a pie, sauce,
> cake, or in a fool, etc.

Well, some people are smarter than I am!

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I made the Lithuanian Rhubarb Cake last night (was rhubarb recipes

On 7/14/2010 1:12 PM, Kate Connally wrote:
> [...]

> my dinner in the mv.
>
> LITHUANIAN RHUBARB CAKE
>
> 1/2 c. butter
> 1 c. sugar
> 1/2 tsp. soda
> 3 c. flour
>
> Melt butter gently. Meanwhile, mix sugar, baking soda, and flour. Add
> butter and crumble. Divide in half and press ½ out to line bottom of 9"
> square pan.
>
> Filling:
> 5 tbsp. flour
> 1/4 tsp. salt
> 1 1/2 c. sugar
> 4 c. rhubarb, cut in 1" pieces (2 lbs.)
>
> Combine ingredients, except rhubarb. When mixed, pour over rhubarb and
> toss to coat well. Place in pan with crumb crust and sprinkle remaining
> crust on top. Bake 1 hour in preheated 350F oven. Sprinkle with powdered
> sugar and cut in squares and serve. May be served with ice cream. (By

It turned out pretty good. I think I'll fiddle around with it a little
if I make it again. Hopefully next weekend I'll try the Finnish one.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 19:59:57 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> On Thu 15 Jul 2010 06:14:25a, Jean B. told us...
>
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> I cannot imagine using rhubarb in anything that wasn't sweetened,
> >> even a chutney. Unsweetened, it's a very sour taste but
> >> regardless, a fairly delicate flavor. I would never bother to
> >> try a savory dish with it. I think it's best on its own as
> >> stewed, in a pie, sauce, cake, or in a fool, etc.
> >>

> > Well, some people are smarter than I am!
> >

> I wouldn't say that, Jean. Everyone has different tastes. I'm sure a
> savory dish that included rhubarb might well be enjoyed by many.

I still like the sounds of that dish, but hubby hates rhubarb so I'll
never give it a try. Going by what Jean said, it probably needed some
sweetness to appeal to our western taste. That's why we like peaches
with chicken so much.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:12:30 -0400, Kate Connally
> wrote:

> > LITHUANIAN RHUBARB CAKE
> >
> > 1/2 c. butter
> > 1 c. sugar
> > 1/2 tsp. soda
> > 3 c. flour
> >
> > Melt butter gently. Meanwhile, mix sugar, baking soda, and flour. Add
> > butter and crumble. Divide in half and press ½ out to line bottom of 9"
> > square pan.
> >
> > Filling:
> > 5 tbsp. flour
> > 1/4 tsp. salt
> > 1 1/2 c. sugar
> > 4 c. rhubarb, cut in 1" pieces (2 lbs.)
> >
> > Combine ingredients, except rhubarb. When mixed, pour over rhubarb and
> > toss to coat well. Place in pan with crumb crust and sprinkle remaining
> > crust on top. Bake 1 hour in preheated 350F oven. Sprinkle with powdered
> > sugar and cut in squares and serve. May be served with ice cream. (By
> > Joe Ames)

> It turned out pretty good. I think I'll fiddle around with it a little
> if I make it again. Hopefully next weekend I'll try the Finnish one.
>
> Kate

What thoughts do you have about altering the recipe?

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2010 7:48 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:12:30 -0400, Kate Connally
> > wrote:
>
>>> LITHUANIAN RHUBARB CAKE
>>>
>>> 1/2 c. butter
>>> 1 c. sugar
>>> 1/2 tsp. soda
>>> 3 c. flour
>>>
>>> Melt butter gently. Meanwhile, mix sugar, baking soda, and flour. Add
>>> butter and crumble. Divide in half and press ½ out to line bottom of 9"
>>> square pan.
>>>
>>> Filling:
>>> 5 tbsp. flour
>>> 1/4 tsp. salt
>>> 1 1/2 c. sugar
>>> 4 c. rhubarb, cut in 1" pieces (2 lbs.)
>>>
>>> Combine ingredients, except rhubarb. When mixed, pour over rhubarb and
>>> toss to coat well. Place in pan with crumb crust and sprinkle remaining
>>> crust on top. Bake 1 hour in preheated 350F oven. Sprinkle with powdered
>>> sugar and cut in squares and serve. May be served with ice cream. (By
>>> Joe Ames)

>> It turned out pretty good. I think I'll fiddle around with it a little
>> if I make it again. Hopefully next weekend I'll try the Finnish one.
>>
>> Kate

> What thoughts do you have about altering the recipe?

Well, I think it needs either more butter or less flour for the
"dough". I think the ratio is off and it's a little too dry and
crumbly. Also perhaps adding a small amount of liquid (milk, water?)
would help. You still want it crumbly but sticking together a little
more than it does. Also, I think the rhubarb filling was a little
sweeter than it needed to be (and believe me I love sweet but I wanted a
little more of the tartness of the rhubarb to contrast with the dough
which was pretty sweet.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 12:31:28 -0400, Kate Connally
> wrote:

> On 7/15/2010 7:48 PM, sf wrote:

> >> It turned out pretty good. I think I'll fiddle around with it a little
> >> if I make it again. Hopefully next weekend I'll try the Finnish one.
> >>
> >> Kate

> > What thoughts do you have about altering the recipe?

> Well, I think it needs either more butter or less flour for the
> "dough". I think the ratio is off and it's a little too dry and
> crumbly. Also perhaps adding a small amount of liquid (milk, water?)
> would help. You still want it crumbly but sticking together a little
> more than it does. Also, I think the rhubarb filling was a little
> sweeter than it needed to be (and believe me I love sweet but I wanted a
> little more of the tartness of the rhubarb to contrast with the dough
> which was pretty sweet.

I see. I thought the "dough" looked more like shortbread but thought
that's the way the recipe should be - translation issues. Maybe it
needed a little more cooking? As far as the filling - I like it on
the tart side too, so I'll make a note of both comments. Thanks!

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:
> [...]

>> 3 c. flour
>>
>> Melt butter gently. Meanwhile, mix sugar, baking soda, and flour. Add
>> butter and crumble. Divide in half and press ½ out to line bottom of 9"
>> square pan.
>>
>> Filling:
>> 5 tbsp. flour
>> 1/4 tsp. salt
>> 1 1/2 c. sugar
>> 4 c. rhubarb, cut in 1" pieces (2 lbs.)
>>
>> Combine ingredients, except rhubarb. When mixed, pour over rhubarb and
>> toss to coat well. Place in pan with crumb crust and sprinkle remaining
>> crust on top. Bake 1 hour in preheated 350F oven. Sprinkle with powdered
>> sugar and cut in squares and serve. May be served with ice cream. (By
>> Joe Ames)

> It turned out pretty good. I think I'll fiddle around with it a little
> if I make it again. Hopefully next weekend I'll try the Finnish one.

Thanks for the report. I saved the recipe and think I'd add
spices to the crumb mixture.

--
Jean B.