Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What beef cut do you prefer for makign Pho?

It's been a while I made this Vietnamese pho soup and I didn't really
follow the recipe strictly. Now, I have bought a paackage of season -
all raw spices - and would like to make a pot of Pho using beef . I
am not interesting is boiling the meat for LONG hours, sifting tis and
that. I just want the simplest way to make it.

I only have tritip and sirloin steak in the freezer. So, I'd need to
go buy some meat for this. A busy week head for me and a pot of this
soup would be handy especially since I have bean sprout, basil, mints
and cilantro that can be used for garnishing.

Which beef cut would you suggest tat would not give me lots of fat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 8:12*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> It's been a while I made this Vietnamese pho soup and I didn't really
> follow the recipe strictly. *Now, I have bought a paackage of season -
> all raw spices - and would like to make a pot of Pho using beef . *I
> am not interesting is boiling the meat for LONG hours, sifting tis and
> that. *I just want the simplest way to make it.
>
> I only have tritip and sirloin steak in the freezer. *So, I'd need to
> go buy some meat for this. *A busy week head for me and a pot of this
> soup would be handy especially since I have bean sprout, basil, mints
> and cilantro that can be used for garnishing.
>
> Which beef cut would you suggest tat would not give me lots of fat?

Round

But if you think the beef in pho is boiled for long hours UR doin it
RONG.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap wrote:

>> It's been a while I made this Vietnamese pho soup and I didn't really
>> follow the recipe strictly. Now, I have bought a paackage of season - all
>> raw spices - and would like to make a pot of Pho using beef . I am not
>> interesting is boiling the meat for LONG hours, sifting tis and that. I
>> just want the simplest way to make it.
>>
>> I only have tritip and sirloin steak in the freezer. So, I'd need to go
>> buy some meat for this. A busy week head for me and a pot of this soup
>> would be handy especially since I have bean sprout, basil, mints and
>> cilantro that can be used for garnishing.
>>
>> Which beef cut would you suggest tat would not give me lots of fat?

> Round
>
> But if you think the beef in pho is boiled for long hours UR doin it RONG.

Depends on what cut of meat you're using. Tendon and tripe cuts *are* cooked
for long hours, albeit they're not boiled that whole time.

The tri-tip and sirloin in her freezer would make a perfectly servicable
pho. Trim the tri-tip, cut it into cubes, and simmer it with ginger, garlic,
and star anise to make the broth, and then cut the sirloin VERY thinly and
put it in raw just before serving: The heat of the broth will cook the
sirloin pieces as much as they need to cook.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 9:32*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> spamtrap wrote:
> >> It's been a while I made this Vietnamese pho soup and I didn't really
> >> follow the recipe strictly. Now, I have bought a paackage of season - all
> >> raw spices - and would like to make a pot of Pho using beef . I am not
> >> interesting is boiling the meat for LONG hours, sifting tis and that. I
> >> just want the simplest way to make it.

> >> I only have tritip and sirloin steak in the freezer. So, I'd need to go
> >> buy some meat for this. A busy week head for me and a pot of this soup
> >> would be handy especially since I have bean sprout, basil, mints and
> >> cilantro that can be used for garnishing.

> >> Which beef cut would you suggest tat would not give me lots of fat?

> > Round

> > But if you think the beef in pho is boiled for long hours UR doin it RONG.

> Depends on what cut of meat you're using. Tendon and tripe cuts *are* cooked
> for long hours, albeit they're not boiled that whole time.
>
> The tri-tip and sirloin in her freezer would make a perfectly servicable
> pho. Trim the tri-tip, cut it into cubes, and simmer it with ginger, garlic,
> and star anise to make the broth, and then cut the sirloin VERY thinly and
> put it in raw just before serving: The heat of the broth will cook the
> sirloin pieces as much as they need to cook.
>
> Bob

I do have plenty of ginger, garlic, and star anise. Should I use
ginger as round thing slice and garlic as cloves and cut these up in
small pieces?

I got a "1.6 oz" pack of 'Mixed Spices for Pho" with these
ingredients not in powder form: star anise, cardamon. Clove, Cinnamon,
Licorice, and Pepper.

Do you think these spices would be too strong? I can use this some
other time since I just want to make a quick pot today. BTW, for
all that 1.6 oz of mixed spice, how many pounds of beef could be
used?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 11, 8:12 am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> It's been a while I made this Vietnamese pho soup and I didn't really
> follow the recipe strictly. Now, I have bought a paackage of season -
> all raw spices - and would like to make a pot of Pho using beef . I
> am not interesting is boiling the meat for LONG hours, sifting tis and
> that. I just want the simplest way to make it.
>
> I only have tritip and sirloin steak in the freezer. So, I'd need to
> go buy some meat for this. A busy week head for me and a pot of this
> soup would be handy especially since I have bean sprout, basil, mints
> and cilantro that can be used for garnishing.
>
> Which beef cut would you suggest tat would not give me lots of fat?

First, if you ever want to make the real stuff, read this rather long
recipe and set of tips:
http://steamykitchen.com/271-vietnam...-soup-pho.html

But since you want simple and fast you'll have to use some kind of
prepared beef broth. It can work if you're lucky.

For the beef to be placed in the broth at the last minute the sirloin
thinly sliced is fine. Flank steak is a common choice, too. For a
showpiece you can even use thinly sliced ribeye.

The garnishes you mention are okay but incomplete. Where are the
chiles? -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 10:46*am, aem > wrote:
> On Jul 11, 8:12 am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
>
> > It's been a while I made this Vietnamese pho soup and I didn't really
> > follow the recipe strictly. *Now, I have bought a paackage of season -
> > all raw spices - and would like to make a pot of Pho using beef . *I
> > am not interesting is boiling the meat for LONG hours, sifting tis and
> > that. *I just want the simplest way to make it.

> > I only have tritip and sirloin steak in the freezer. *So, I'd need to
> > go buy some meat for this. *A busy week head for me and a pot of this
> > soup would be handy especially since I have bean sprout, basil, mints
> > and cilantro that can be used for garnishing.

> > Which beef cut would you suggest tat would not give me lots of fat?

> First, if you ever want to make the real stuff, read this rather long
> recipe and set of tips:http://steamykitchen.com/271-vietnam...-soup-pho.html

I know about the real version. It will never hapen if I try making
that version.

> But since you want simple and fast you'll have to use some kind of
> prepared beef broth. *It can work if you're lucky.

I do have Kitchen Basic beef stock. Would that work?

> For the beef to be placed in the broth at the last minute the sirloin
> thinly sliced is fine. *Flank steak is a common choice, too. *For a
> showpiece you can even use thinly sliced ribeye.
>
> The garnishes you mention are okay but incomplete. *Where are the
> chiles? * *

I forgot to mention that. I have serrano pepper and kind of old Thai
chilies. I also have limes.

-aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-11, aem > wrote:

> The garnishes you mention are okay but incomplete. Where are the
> chiles? -aem

Who or what are you, aem? I see "aem some good bones" in the pic of
bone marrow. Are you Jaden Hair? Coincidence? Secret cooking term?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 11, 11:47 am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2010-07-11, aem > wrote:
>
> > The garnishes you mention are okay but incomplete. Where are the
> > chiles? -aem

> Who or what are you, aem? I see "aem some good bones" in the pic of
> bone marrow. Are you Jaden Hair? Coincidence? Secret cooking term?

Hah, you made me look. I'm pretty sure that says "dem some good
bones." At any rate, I have nothing to do with that site. It just
happens to have a pretty knowledgeable take on this dish. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 10:46*am, aem > wrote:
> On Jul 11, 8:12 am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
>
> > It's been a while I made this Vietnamese pho soup and I didn't really
> > follow the recipe strictly. *Now, I have bought a paackage of season -
> > all raw spices - and would like to make a pot of Pho using beef . *I
> > am not interesting is boiling the meat for LONG hours, sifting tis and
> > that. *I just want the simplest way to make it.

> > I only have tritip and sirloin steak in the freezer. *So, I'd need to
> > go buy some meat for this. *A busy week head for me and a pot of this
> > soup would be handy especially since I have bean sprout, basil, mints
> > and cilantro that can be used for garnishing.

> > Which beef cut would you suggest tat would not give me lots of fat?

> First, if you ever want to make the real stuff, read this rather long
> recipe and set of tips:http://steamykitchen.com/271-vietnam...-soup-pho.html

I looked at that recipe, and seeing the pics, feel compelled to make
it but not today cus I have to prepare a demo for my job interview
tomorrow. My bean spout's best use date was yesterday. If it'd
still be good on Tuesay, I will follow this recipe except I will use
udon noodle or chinese noodle that looks white instead of rice stick.

> But since you want simple and fast you'll have to use some kind of
> prepared beef broth. *It can work if you're lucky.
>
> For the beef to be placed in the broth at the last minute the sirloin
> thinly sliced is fine. *Flank steak is a common choice, too. *For a
> showpiece you can even use thinly sliced ribeye.
>
> The garnishes you mention are okay but incomplete. *Where are the
> chiles? * * -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-11, aem > wrote:

> happens to have a pretty knowledgeable take on this dish. -aem

How about you? Are you a pho broth guru?

I once read a review of my favorite pho noodle place down in Sunnyvale
and it said one could really appreciate the subtle duck flavors in the
broth. I know spit about making pho broth, but know what good broth
tastes like. This place didn't really taste like a beef only broth.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 10:46:48 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

> First, if you ever want to make the real stuff, read this rather long
> recipe and set of tips:
> http://steamykitchen.com/271-vietnam...-soup-pho.html

I subscribe to steamy kitchen, but I usually have a problem with her
recipes when they are already a regular in *my* kitchen. However, I'd
be willing to say that marrow must be the secret because I make kick
ass stock, that as rich as it is (roasted bones and mirepoix simmered
8 hours or more), still lacks the beefy flavor of a good pho.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 11, 12:28 pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2010-07-11, aem > wrote:
>
> > happens to have a pretty knowledgeable take on this dish. -aem

> How about you? Are you a pho broth guru?

I'm a pho-eater, not a pho-maker. I've made it a couple of times but
it has joined the (always growing) list of things I think are too
labor-intensive for me unless required by a special occasion. Here in
SoCal the challenge is not finding pho, it's finding the best of
thousands of places that serve it. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> The garnishes you mention are okay but incomplete. Where are the
> chiles?

PS: Not everyone adds chilies to their pho, so if she's cooking for
herself and doesn't like chilies in her soup, it's called personal
preference to leave it out.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 12:54:36 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

> Here in
> SoCal the challenge is not finding pho, it's finding the best of
> thousands of places that serve it. -aem

I feel your pain, aem!

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Jul 11, 12:28 pm, notbob > wrote:
>> On 2010-07-11, aem > wrote:
>>
>>> happens to have a pretty knowledgeable take on this dish. -aem

>> How about you? Are you a pho broth guru?

> I'm a pho-eater, not a pho-maker. I've made it a couple of times but
> it has joined the (always growing) list of things I think are too
> labor-intensive for me unless required by a special occasion. Here in
> SoCal the challenge is not finding pho, it's finding the best of
> thousands of places that serve it. -aem

Good point, esp. when one wants a variety of meats in it. (I
especially like tendon and tripe, but also want a bit of sliced
beef of some sort--maybe flank.) I was thinking one could
probably get small quantities of them at a Korean store and need
to check that out. But then the weather here in New England is so
steamy, I have no desire to make it in the near future.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> On Jul 11, 8:12*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> > It's been a while I made this Vietnamese pho soup and I didn't really
> > follow the recipe strictly. *Now, I have bought a paackage of season -
> > all raw spices - and would like to make a pot of Pho using beef . *I
> > am not interesting is boiling the meat for LONG hours, sifting tis and
> > that. *I just want the simplest way to make it.
> >
> > I only have tritip and sirloin steak in the freezer. *So, I'd need to
> > go buy some meat for this. *A busy week head for me and a pot of this
> > soup would be handy especially since I have bean sprout, basil, mints
> > and cilantro that can be used for garnishing.
> >
> > Which beef cut would you suggest tat would not give me lots of fat?

> Round
>
> But if you think the beef in pho is boiled for long hours UR doin it
> RONG.

I recently used top sirloin for Pho'. Placed it in the bowl raw with the
noodles and greens and bean sprouts, then poured the boiling chicken
stock over it.

Let it sit for a few minutes and it was perfection. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 10:46:48 -0700 (PDT), aem >
> wrote:
>
> > First, if you ever want to make the real stuff, read this rather long
> > recipe and set of tips:
> > http://steamykitchen.com/271-vietnam...-soup-pho.html

> I subscribe to steamy kitchen, but I usually have a problem with her
> recipes when they are already a regular in *my* kitchen. However, I'd
> be willing to say that marrow must be the secret because I make kick
> ass stock, that as rich as it is (roasted bones and mirepoix simmered
> 8 hours or more), still lacks the beefy flavor of a good pho.

Have you tried adding MSG?
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best Bones for Pho

On Jul 11, 10:46*am, aem > wrote:
> On Jul 11, 8:12 am, Manda Ruby > wrote:

> > Which beef cut would you suggest tat would not give me lots of fat?

> First, if you ever want to make the real stuff, read this rather long
> recipe and set of tips:http://steamykitchen.com/271-vietnam...-soup-pho.html

At that link was
"Best Bones for Pho
Leg and knuckle bones are the best to make the stock. See that
wonderful yellow marrow below in the photo? That’s pure flavoring that
makes your Pho taste full, meaty and rich. But let’s say that you
can’t find leg/knuckle bones. Go ahead and use whatever beef bones
your supermarket has and just supplement with some oxtail bones or a
pound of beef meat (rump, chuck, brisket, etc.) for extra flavor.
Bones are parboiled first for a good 10 minutes in rapidly boiling
water – this gets rid of the yucky impurities like blood particles and
extra fat. You’ll see gray foam float up to the surface as you boil.
After 10 minutes, dump out all of the water, rinse out your pot, rinse
the bones, and refill with clean, cool water. I know it’s an extra
step, but this will give you the pure, clean-tasting broth.

This is just after blanching – the golden gelatinous goodness is where
all the flavor and body is.

UPDATE 4/11/2010 I started getting comments of the broth being too
greasy — and after 8 pots of testing, I found out why. When I normally
make pho broth, I use a combination of knuckle and leg bones, normally
with 20% of the bones having the marrow (below photo). When I started
increasing the % of bones with marrow – the broth started getting too
fatty. I guess too much of a good stuff is not a good thing! The
fattiness is easy to remedy. Refrigerate overnight and just discard
the layer of fat that accumulates on top. For best results though,
keep the bones with marrow to 20%."

Well, I asked and was told (at Safeway) that they have cow feet. So,
I'd just use that cow feet along with 1 lb of "Beef Chuck Top Blade".
They cut it for me when I asked to slice thin not knowing what hape I
should cut them for boiling. I am thinking to remove the fat out befor
eboiling. Or should I just remove the fat by letting the broth sit in
the frige overnight? I also wonder whether brisket would be better
instead of chuck.

About "very fine mesh strainer" to remove the scum, I saw very fine
ones at the Asian store and was wondering how they're use. I kind of
guessed, because of the sahpe, that it was for soup .. I likw this one
http://www.amazon.com/CIA-Masters-Co.../dp/B000HV9HQ0
but I want a longer handle.

There is the crock pot section at that link.

Well, after reading all that, I realized that it would need to wait a
bit for me to go through all that work. May be I'll wait till my
brothre visits town again. For now, I am better off using the beef
stock and cook quickly to have my low fat meals.

In the one I made the other day (Friday, I think), I just used tri-
tip and beef stock to make broth using star anise, ginger and garlic.
Didn't even toast the spice. Net time, I am using the spice package I
got.