Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
Hungarian paprika recommended. Any ideas on what to substitute?

By the by, while I stared at the spice section, I I saw something
amazing --tiny bullets of a few spices on a cardboard card - geared
for various cuisines. The unit price on one of em was 89 dollars a
pound! I put this in the same category as shake and bake and other
expensive convenience stuff one can whip up at home for a song.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 6, 4:42*pm, Kalmia wrote:
There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
Hungarian paprika recommended. *Any ideas on what to substitute?

By the by, while I stared at the spice section, I I saw something
amazing --tiny bullets of a *few spices on a cardboard card - geared
for various cuisines. *The unit price on one of em was 89 dollars a
pound! *I put this in the same category as shake and bake and other
expensive convenience stuff one can whip up at home for a song.

You can use regular mild paprika.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:42:52 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
wrote:

There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
Hungarian paprika recommended. Any ideas on what to substitute?

Regular paprika.

By the by, while I stared at the spice section, I I saw something
amazing --tiny bullets of a few spices on a cardboard card - geared
for various cuisines. The unit price on one of em was 89 dollars a
pound! I put this in the same category as shake and bake and other
expensive convenience stuff one can whip up at home for a song.

Yeah, somebody (koko?) posted about that a few months ago. I never
remember to look for them when I'm at the grocery store, so I haven't
noticed them yet.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Kalmia wrote:

There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
Hungarian paprika recommended. Any ideas on what to substitute?

Spanish and generic paprika do *not* have the same flavor as Hungarian
paprika.
You can get it online but the shipping will double the cost at the
least. But, it does come in 5oz. cans and that will last a while. The
brand I'm talking about is Pride of Szeged Sweet Paprika from Hungary.
(they also ship the hot variety) You can find it at some major
supermarkets here in N.California, so you might search a little more.
You should at least try it to see the difference.

D.M.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2010 7:42 PM, Kalmia wrote:
There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
Hungarian paprika recommended. Any ideas on what to substitute?

By the by, while I stared at the spice section, I I saw something
amazing --tiny bullets of a few spices on a cardboard card - geared
for various cuisines. The unit price on one of em was 89 dollars a
pound! I put this in the same category as shake and bake and other
expensive convenience stuff one can whip up at home for a song.

If you're in a place that they ship to, Penzeys has it. If you're in
the US check their Web site and see if they have a store near you.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:

On 7/6/2010 7:42 PM, Kalmia wrote:

There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
Hungarian paprika recommended. Any ideas on what to substitute?

By the by, while I stared at the spice section, I I saw something
amazing --tiny bullets of a few spices on a cardboard card - geared
for various cuisines. The unit price on one of em was 89 dollars a
pound! I put this in the same category as shake and bake and other
expensive convenience stuff one can whip up at home for a song.

If you're in a place that they ship to, Penzeys has it. If you're in
the US check their Web site and see if they have a store near you.

I only bought Hungarian paprika once and, while it was better
than national-brand (e.g. Schilling) paprika, it was no better
than paprika available at the nearby Mexican store for a lot less.

Maybe I should give the stuff another try.

Steve
Old 07-07-2010, 07:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Subject

It makes a difference, BUT it has a shelf life,

Try to buy smaller quantities for best results.

Lew

Old 07-07-2010, 03:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 6, 7:42*pm, Kalmia wrote:
There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
Hungarian paprika recommended. *Any ideas on what to substitute?

By the by, while I stared at the spice section, I I saw something
amazing --tiny bullets of a *few spices on a cardboard card - geared
for various cuisines. *The unit price on one of em was 89 dollars a
pound! *I put this in the same category as shake and bake and other
expensive convenience stuff one can whip up at home for a song.

I just looked at ebay - a lot of it there, but of course the shipping
will exceed the price of the item. Still...

There IS another market other side of town which might carry it - I'll
look there for the real deal.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
Hungarian paprika recommended. *Any ideas on what to substitute?

Sweet paprika is primarilly for color... any mild paprika will work...
no one can tell where paprika peppers were grown in a cooked dish
anyway... most paprika is a blend.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Don Martinich wrote:
Kalmia wrote:

There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
Hungarian paprika recommended. Any ideas on what to substitute?

Spanish and generic paprika do *not* have the same flavor as Hungarian
paprika.

Some people are very sensative to differences in paprika and think it
hot. Some people are very insensative to difference in paprika and
think it a pretty red with a slight and subtle aroma. The first time I
encountered someone senative to paprika I thought his head was going to
explode when he tasted my stew.

If the members of your family are insensative to the type of heat in
paprika the exact type is not all that important. The fresh and smoked
types have a nice richer aroma but any version works. The hot and sweet
types aren't all that different to the unsensative folks but they are
very different to the sensative folks.

It also works to use a different type of dried ground red pepper.
Definitely not the same but if you try a hot type you'll find out what
it's like to be someone sensative to the heat of paprika.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz blathered:

Sweet paprika is primarilly for color... any mild paprika will work...
no one can tell where paprika peppers were grown in a cooked dish
anyway... most paprika is a blend.

YOU can't tell the difference. More discerning people (i.e., people with a
functioning sense of smell) can.

Bob

Old 08-07-2010, 02:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Subject

It makes a difference, BUT it has a shelf life,

Try to buy smaller quantities for best results.

Lew

Keeping dried capsicum products in the refrigerator will greatly extend
their flavor.

D.M.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Don Martinich wrote:

Keeping dried capsicum products in the refrigerator will greatly extend
their flavor.

Interesting, I have never tried that, although it seems obvious.
Thanks.

S.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
isw

In article ,
"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz blathered:

Sweet paprika is primarilly for color... any mild paprika will work...
no one can tell where paprika peppers were grown in a cooked dish
anyway... most paprika is a blend.

YOU can't tell the difference. More discerning people (i.e., people with a
functioning sense of smell) can.

I would be interested to know the exact brand(s) for which you can tell
a difference. I can distinguish between "sweet" (i.e. not much taste to
speak of), "smoked", and "hot".

If there are brands that are superior, I'd like to know about them; I've
never been satisfied with the taste of my paprikashes.

Isaac
Old 08-07-2010, 04:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
isw

In article 7,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Tue 06 Jul 2010 08:39:56p, Steve Pope told us...

J. Clarke wrote:

[...]

Steve, the difference is barely noticeable in dishes that only use a
very small amount of papr8ika. However, in dishes like chicken or
veal paprikas or Hungarian guylas, the amount used is significant and
the flavor is very evident. Ordinary paprika just doesn't give the
right flavor.

Please share what brands or types you use that *do* give the "right"
flavor.

Isaac