Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default good eats this weekend - curried goat

I finally got around to making my Jamaican goat curry.
Last summer I finally found a source of goat meat in the
area. There a farm that raises goats for meat and last
summer they had a stand at one of the local farmers
markets. I got me some goat. Only a pound. Boneless.
They had it packed up in vacuum-sealed bags.

So, I kept meaning to cook it all fall and winter but
other things kept coming up. So I finally said, "I'm
cooking it this weekend come hell or high water!".

I used the recipe in Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz' Caribbean
Cooking. Jamaican Curried Kid.

I made the same quantity of sauce - just used less meat.
Served it over rice. Made fried plantains on the side.
Awesome.

2 T. oil
3 lb. kid, cut into serving pieces
2 lg. onions, finely chopped
3 T. curry powder
1 fresh hot red pepper, chopped
bay leaf
1/2 t. allspice
1 c. coconut milk
beef or chicken stock
salt
pepper
juice 1/2 lime

Brown meat in oil. Remove meat to casserole and saute onions
in fat until transparent. Add curry, hot pepper, and saute a
few minutes. Add to casserole with meat. Add bay leaf, allspice,
coconut milk, and enough stock to cover meat. Season with salt
and pepper, cover, and simmer gently until tender, about 2 hours.
Just before serving add lime juice cook 2-3 minutes longer.
Serves 6.

I didn't have Jamaican-style curry so I used plain Indian
curry (not maharajah). Also I forgot to pick, up a fresh
hot red pepper so I just used crushed red pepper flakes.

I bought green plantains and sliced them and fried them in
butter. Sprinkled them with salt and pepper.

Nothing fancy here, just really tasty food. I accompanied my
meals with Goya pineapple and coconut sodas.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
>I finally got around to making my Jamaican goat curry.
> Last summer I finally found a source of goat meat in the
> area. There a farm that raises goats for meat and last
> summer they had a stand at one of the local farmers
> markets. I got me some goat. Only a pound. Boneless.
> They had it packed up in vacuum-sealed bags.
>
> So, I kept meaning to cook it all fall and winter but
> other things kept coming up. So I finally said, "I'm
> cooking it this weekend come hell or high water!".
>
> I used the recipe in Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz' Caribbean
> Cooking. Jamaican Curried Kid.
>
> I made the same quantity of sauce - just used less meat.
> Served it over rice. Made fried plantains on the side.
> Awesome.
>
> 2 T. oil
> 3 lb. kid, cut into serving pieces
> 2 lg. onions, finely chopped
> 3 T. curry powder
> 1 fresh hot red pepper, chopped
> bay leaf
> 1/2 t. allspice
> 1 c. coconut milk
> beef or chicken stock
> salt
> pepper
> juice 1/2 lime
>
> Brown meat in oil. Remove meat to casserole and saute onions
> in fat until transparent. Add curry, hot pepper, and saute a
> few minutes. Add to casserole with meat. Add bay leaf, allspice, coconut
> milk, and enough stock to cover meat. Season with salt
> and pepper, cover, and simmer gently until tender, about 2 hours.
> Just before serving add lime juice cook 2-3 minutes longer.
> Serves 6.
>
> I didn't have Jamaican-style curry so I used plain Indian
> curry (not maharajah). Also I forgot to pick, up a fresh
> hot red pepper so I just used crushed red pepper flakes.
>
> I bought green plantains and sliced them and fried them in
> butter. Sprinkled them with salt and pepper.
>
> Nothing fancy here, just really tasty food. I accompanied my
> meals with Goya pineapple and coconut sodas.
>
> Kate
>
> --
> Kate Connally
> “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.”
> Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,
> Until you bite their heads off.”
> What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?

Get down with your bad self, mon......let the islands take you away. Now if
you could just get a decent zombie these days to clean up after you, you'd
have it made.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate wrote:

> I didn't have Jamaican-style curry so I used plain Indian
> curry (not maharajah).

Jamaican Curry Powder

1 tbsp cumin seeds (15 ml)
1 tbsp mustard seeds (15 ml)
1 tbsp fenugreek seeds (15 ml)
1 tbsp anise seed (15 ml)
1 tbsp black peppercorns (15 ml)
1 tbsp coriander seeds (15 ml)
1/2 tbsp whole allspice (7 ml)
1 tbsp paprika or ground red pepper
1 tbsp turmeric powder (15 ml)

Grind everything together.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate wrote:

> 2 lg. onions, finely chopped
> 3 T. curry powder
> 1 fresh hot red pepper, chopped
> bay leaf
> 1/2 t. allspice
> 1 c. coconut milk
> beef or chicken stock
> salt
> pepper
> juice 1/2 lime

Given the allspice, I wonder if this is close enough to jerk seasoning for a
habanero or red savina chile to work as the "hot red pepper."

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ginny wrote:

> Get down with your bad self, mon......let the islands take you away. Now
> if you could just get a decent zombie these days to clean up after you,
> you'd have it made.

Fido (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457572/) is one of Lin's favorite movies.

Bob