Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Focaccia experiment

I made up my no knead sourdough recipe this morning and as I was
rising I had the thought "why not make focaccia out of it".

So after it's 4 hour rise I took it out of the oven, punched it down
and put it on an oiled
half sheet while the oven heated up to 450.

After about 30 minutes or so I made all the dimples in the dough and
brushed on a mixture
of fresh chopped oregano, summer savory and thyme in a couple of
tablespoons of evoo. I sprinkled on some kosher salt and a bit of
fresh cracked black pepper and set it to baking.

When it looked ready I took it out of the oven to let it cool.

After it cooled I cut it into about 4" squares and put some in the
freezer and some to
eat this week.

The flavor is really good. The texture is properly chewy outside and
tender inside.The only thing I would do differently next time is not
press the dough out quite as thinly as I did. I would have preferred
the focaccia be a bit thicker.

All in all, a very easy way to make a good focaccia bread.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara80...18637928042210

The knife in the last picture is 18" long. It has a 12 1/2" blade. I
have two....leftovers from
the restaurant. They are workhorses. Great for cuttting pizza,
hard blocks of cheese and
things like Hubbard squashes and watermelons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> I made up my no knead sourdough recipe this morning and as I was
> rising I had the thought "why not make focaccia out of it".

Sounds great! I'm not a bread baker but I want to pick it up at some point.
My mom loves baking bread, and I love eating it when we all get together.

> http://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara80...18637928042210
>
> The knife in the last picture is 18" long. It has a 12 1/2" blade. I
> have two....leftovers from
> the restaurant. They are workhorses. Great for cuttting pizza,
> hard blocks of cheese and
> things like Hubbard squashes and watermelons.

Cool!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> > I made up my no knead sourdough recipe this morning and as I was
> > rising I had the thought "why not make focaccia out of it".

> Sounds great! I'm not a bread baker but I want to pick it up at some point.
> My mom loves baking bread, and I love eating it when we all get together.
> >
> > http://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara80...48501863792804
> > 2210
> >
> > The knife in the last picture is 18" long. It has a 12 1/2" blade. I
> > have two....leftovers from
> > the restaurant. They are workhorses. Great for cuttting pizza,
> > hard blocks of cheese and
> > things like Hubbard squashes and watermelons.

> Cool!

Nice series. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 17:46:14 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> The knife in the last picture is 18" long. It has a 12 1/2" blade. I
> have two....leftovers from
> the restaurant. They are workhorses. Great for cuttting pizza,
> hard blocks of cheese and
> things like Hubbard squashes and watermelons.

I have a knife like that too and I use it for the same things you do.
I think I paid $3 for it "way back when" and it has been virtually
indestructible.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 20, 11:04*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 17:46:14 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>
> > wrote:
> > The knife in the last picture is 18" long. *It has a 12 1/2" blade. *I
> > have two....leftovers from
> > the restaurant. * They are workhorses. * Great for cuttting pizza,
> > hard blocks of cheese and
> > things like Hubbard squashes and watermelons.

> I have a knife like that too and I use it for the same things you do.
> I think I paid $3 for it "way back when" and it has been virtually
> indestructible.
>
> --
> Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

I have them hanging on a magnetic knife bar in my kitchen. When
people see them for the first time they are
taken aback and ask me if I use them for swords or something. They
are a bit scary looking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
ImStillMags > wrote:

> On Jun 20, 11:04*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 17:46:14 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > The knife in the last picture is 18" long. *It has a 12 1/2" blade. *I
> > > have two....leftovers from
> > > the restaurant. * They are workhorses. * Great for cuttting pizza,
> > > hard blocks of cheese and
> > > things like Hubbard squashes and watermelons.

> > I have a knife like that too and I use it for the same things you do.
> > I think I paid $3 for it "way back when" and it has been virtually
> > indestructible.

> I have them hanging on a magnetic knife bar in my kitchen. When
> people see them for the first time they are
> taken aback and ask me if I use them for swords or something. They
> are a bit scary looking.

Dexter?

http://www.dexter1818.com/Item_Detai...?id=820&line=B

The workhorses of the commercial kitchen. I've seen a lot of them.
They do the job, are sanitary and durable.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/20/2010 7:46 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> The flavor is really good. The texture is properly chewy outside and
> tender inside.The only thing I would do differently next time is not
> press the dough out quite as thinly as I did. I would have preferred
> the focaccia be a bit thicker.
>
> All in all, a very easy way to make a good focaccia bread.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara80...18637928042210
>
> The knife in the last picture is 18" long. It has a 12 1/2" blade. I
> have two....leftovers from the restaurant. They are workhorses. Great for cuttting pizza, hard blocks of cheese and things like Hubbard squashes and watermelons.

Looks wonderful. <drooling>

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 21, 9:34*am, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *ImStillMags > wrote:
> > On Jun 20, 11:04*pm, sf > wrote:
> > > On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 17:46:14 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags

> > > I have a knife like that too and I use it for the same things you do.
> > > I think I paid $3 for it "way back when" and it has been virtually
> > > indestructible.

> > I have them hanging on a magnetic knife bar in my kitchen. *When
> > people see them for the first time they are
> > taken aback and ask me if I use them for swords or something. *They
> > are a bit scary looking.

> Dexter?
>
> http://www.dexter1818.com/Item_Detai...?id=820&line=B
>
> The workhorses of the commercial kitchen. *I've seen a lot of them. *
> They do the job, are sanitary and durable.
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

Yup that's the one.

Focaccia Serene Vannoy General Cooking 40 12-04-2011 06:51 AM
Focaccia nancy Sourdough 13 12-11-2005 02:06 PM
Focaccia nancy Sourdough 0 10-11-2005 01:16 PM
Focaccia L Sourdough 8 28-11-2004 08:22 PM
Focaccia Ernie Sourdough 2 28-11-2004 05:47 PM