FoodBanter.com

-   -   Unflavored Gelatin Expiration date (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/397745-unflavored-gelatin-expiration-date.html)

Janet Wilder[_1_] 18-06-2010 06:58 PM

Unflavored Gelatin Expiration date

I've got everything to make the key lime pie for DH's Bday on Monday. I
remebererd I had a box of unopened unflavored gelatin in the pantry. I
just looked at it and it seems to have expired 12/21/08

What could be in it to have it expire? Do y'all think I can still use
it. It's not the cost but the bother of going to the store.

TIA
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Giusi 18-06-2010 07:10 PM

"Janet Wilder" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> I've got everything to make the key lime pie for DH's Bday on Monday. I
> remebererd I had a box of unopened unflavored gelatin in the pantry. I
> just looked at it and it seems to have expired 12/21/08
>
> What could be in it to have it expire? Do y'all think I can still use it.
> It's not the cost but the bother of going to the store.

According to David Lebovitz, whom I trust, gelatin never goes bad.

sf[_9_] 18-06-2010 07:33 PM

Unflavored Gelatin Expiration date

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:58:36 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I've got everything to make the key lime pie for DH's Bday on Monday.

I went to Trader Joe's last night. They didn't have key limes and
rarely have them, in fact the produce guy couldn't recall ever having
them in stock. I asked if it was just that store and he said TJ is
uniform so if others have key limes, they will too.

> I remebererd I had a box of unopened unflavored gelatin in the pantry. I
> just looked at it and it seems to have expired 12/21/08
>
> What could be in it to have it expire? Do y'all think I can still use
> it. It's not the cost but the bother of going to the store.

I've never thought about gelatin expiring. Yeast I'd worry about, but
not gelatin. I'm sure I've used gelatin from the Jurassic age in the
past, because I don't use it very often.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Kajikit[_2_] 18-06-2010 07:57 PM

Unflavored Gelatin Expiration date

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 20:10:10 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>"Janet Wilder" > ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..
>> I've got everything to make the key lime pie for DH's Bday on Monday. I
>> remebererd I had a box of unopened unflavored gelatin in the pantry. I
>> just looked at it and it seems to have expired 12/21/08
>>
>> What could be in it to have it expire? Do y'all think I can still use it.
>> It's not the cost but the bother of going to the store.

>According to David Lebovitz, whom I trust, gelatin never goes bad.

The only thing that might be wrong with it is if moisture has gotten
into it. If it's still a nice light powder, it's fine. I don't think
you can ever get all the lumps out if moisture has seeped in though.
(mama had a jar of gelatin and eventually it turned into a solid
lump...)

sf[_9_] 18-06-2010 07:59 PM

Unflavored Gelatin Expiration date

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:50:01 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> As to yeast, I only buy the granular form and keep it in the freezer.
> I've never had a problem with it working regardless the age.

You think ahead, I don't. So it sits there until it's past the
expiration date and *then* I use it. The only time I had trouble was
with yeast that was at least two years past expiration. That's why I
always proof yeast first. It's usually good, but every now and then
it's not.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Becca[_5_] 18-06-2010 08:28 PM

On 6/18/2010 12:58 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> I've got everything to make the key lime pie for DH's Bday on Monday.
> I remebererd I had a box of unopened unflavored gelatin in the pantry.
> I just looked at it and it seems to have expired 12/21/08
>
> What could be in it to have it expire? Do y'all think I can still use
> it. It's not the cost but the bother of going to the store.
>
> TIA

Mine was expired also, I made it yesterday and it came out fine. I used
lemon this time instead of lime, it tasted pretty good. I only did that
because I forgot the key lime juice.

Becca

gloria.p 18-06-2010 08:30 PM

Janet Wilder wrote:
> I've got everything to make the key lime pie for DH's Bday on Monday. I
> remebererd I had a box of unopened unflavored gelatin in the pantry. I
> just looked at it and it seems to have expired 12/21/08
>
> What could be in it to have it expire? Do y'all think I can still use
> it. It's not the cost but the bother of going to the store.
>
> TIA

I can't imagine it going bad. Unless it has caked into a solid mass,
I'd use it. Jam pectin also has an expiration date but I have used
packages of it years after the date and it has been fine. Yeast, too,
but I keep it refrigerated.

gloria p

brooklyn1 18-06-2010 08:47 PM

Unflavored Gelatin Expiration date

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:58:36 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>I've got everything to make the key lime pie for DH's Bday on Monday. I
>remebererd I had a box of unopened unflavored gelatin in the pantry. I
>just looked at it and it seems to have expired 12/21/08
>
>What could be in it to have it expire? Do y'all think I can still use
>it. It's not the cost but the bother of going to the store.
>
>TIA

You'll know as soon as you open the envelope... if it's all shrunken
bits it expired... sugar free gelatin desserts don't have a very long
shelf life, I've learned not to stock up.

sf[_9_] 18-06-2010 09:44 PM

Unflavored Gelatin Expiration date

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:58:36 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I've got everything to make the key lime pie for DH's Bday on Monday.

Would you please post that recipe? TIA

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 18-06-2010 10:50 PM

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:58:36 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> I've got everything to make the key lime pie for DH's Bday on Monday.

> Would you please post that recipe? TIA

It was the one Becca posted the other day.

sf[_9_] 19-06-2010 12:59 AM

Unflavored Gelatin Expiration date

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 16:50:56 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:58:36 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I've got everything to make the key lime pie for DH's Bday on Monday.

> > Would you please post that recipe? TIA
> >

> It was the one Becca posted the other day.

Didn't save it. I only have two key lime pie recipes in my file,
neither one is by Becca and neither one calls for gelatin. :(

I found a bag of (teeny tiny) key limes for $1.99 at Safeway today!
They weren't near the limes, they were near the kumquats.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

sf[_9_] 19-06-2010 06:53 AM

Unflavored Gelatin Expiration date

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 23:26:18 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I'm making an almond meal pie crust to keep the carb count low.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Key Lime Pie from Becca

TY for the recipe repeat, I appreciate it. I bought almond meal
yesterday and plan to make a crust with that. What is your recipe?
Do you use butter? A friend says you need to add a tablespoon of all
purpose flour to each cup of almond meal to make it stick together,
but I want to make the crust gluten free - so that's out.

TIA

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.