Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dried Mangos

Lin sent me a CARE package which contained (among other items) a package of
Sunsweet dried mango slices. WOW those things are good! They're soft but
slightly chewy, sweet, tangy, and full-flavored. I'm trying to come up with
culinary uses for them when I get back.

Besides eating as is (which is superb), I'm thinking of cutting them
crosswise and putting them on skewers with marinated chicken. Or putting
them onto sushi rice with octopus and a strip of preserved lemon. Or putting
into a banh mie with roast pork and pickled ginger. Or putting them into a
tropical cole slaw.

What else would you do with them?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Lin sent me a CARE package which contained (among other items) a package
> of Sunsweet dried mango slices. What else would you do with them?

My kid sent me those once. I ate them when I was reading in bed. They
aren't messy!

I would use them in that Iranian - Persian rice dish with the layers of
fruit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 16, 4:51*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Lin sent me a CARE package which contained (among other items) a package of
> Sunsweet dried mango slices. WOW those things are good! They're soft but
> slightly chewy, sweet, tangy, and full-flavored. I'm trying to come up with
> culinary uses for them when I get back.

Wow! Never seen dried mango, it sounds delicious! I'll have to look
for them

I've been eating mangoes for years now. They are quite delicious! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/16/2010 5:00 AM, Giusi wrote:
> "Bob > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Lin sent me a CARE package which contained (among other items) a package
>> of Sunsweet dried mango slices. What else would you do with them?

> My kid sent me those once. I ate them when I was reading in bed. They
> aren't messy!
>
> I would use them in that Iranian - Persian rice dish with the layers of
> fruit.

I use the dried mangoes, papaya, and pineapple to make a sweet bread I
call "Jungle Fever." Most folks like it quite well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> I use the dried mangoes, papaya, and pineapple to make a sweet bread I
> call "Jungle Fever." Most folks like it quite well.

<cough cough> Recipe, please?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Lin sent me a CARE package which contained (among other items) a package of
> Sunsweet dried mango slices. WOW those things are good! They're soft but
> slightly chewy, sweet, tangy, and full-flavored. I'm trying to come up with
> culinary uses for them when I get back.
>
> Besides eating as is (which is superb), I'm thinking of cutting them
> crosswise and putting them on skewers with marinated chicken. Or putting
> them onto sushi rice with octopus and a strip of preserved lemon. Or putting
> into a banh mie with roast pork and pickled ginger. Or putting them into a
> tropical cole slaw.
>
> What else would you do with them?
>
> Bob

I've seen a recipe for apricot sorbet that uses dried apricots in
addition to fresh. I'm thinking that mango sorbet is sounding mighty
tantalizing....

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> I've seen a recipe for apricot sorbet that uses dried apricots in addition
> to fresh. I'm thinking that mango sorbet is sounding mighty
> tantalizing....

Maybe I could do that now.... I ate enough mango ice cream once in Kuwait
for me not to want it for a while. It's been 10 years, so maybe I can
contemplate the stuff again.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

> I got some in my Christmas exchange package from Koko and added
> some hot chile powder w/citric acid. Very addictive. Hot, sour,
> sweet.

That was one of the things I considered, but I'm trying to come up with
something more like an entree or substantial appetizer. As a snack, I can
just eat the things by themselves!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Lin sent me a CARE package which contained (among other items) a
>> package of Sunsweet dried mango slices. WOW those things are good!
>> They're soft but slightly chewy, sweet, tangy, and full-flavored. I'm
>> trying to come up with culinary uses for them when I get back.
>>
>> Besides eating as is (which is superb), I'm thinking of cutting them
>> crosswise and putting them on skewers with marinated chicken. Or
>> putting them onto sushi rice with octopus and a strip of preserved
>> lemon. Or putting into a banh mie with roast pork and pickled ginger.
>> Or putting them into a tropical cole slaw.
>>
>> What else would you do with them?
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I've seen a recipe for apricot sorbet that uses dried apricots in
> addition to fresh. I'm thinking that mango sorbet is sounding mighty
> tantalizing....

I wonder if they could be used to make a mango gelato. I used to be
able to get Hagen Daaz mango gelato and it was great, but I can't find
that stuff anymore. I tried making it myself but it is really hard to
find nice ripe mangoes here, and I tried it with canned mangoes, but it
was bland.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Also consider a mango chutney.

That might be a good idea. I love mango chutney and use it for a chicken
dish that is simple and easy, just fry chicken (thin) chicken breasts in
butter, remove and keep warm, then toss on some chopped onion to soften
and then some red pepper strips. Then add some heavy cream, Dijon
mustard, red wine vinegar and mango chutney. Thicken the sauce,put the
chicken back in to warm and serve on rice. It is a favourite dish in
our house.

Here is a recipe for apricot and cilantro chutney that uses dried apricots.

Apricot Cilantro Chutney

1 large yellow onion cut into quarters
3-4 Tbls. pickled Jalapeno peppers slices
1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
8 oz. dried apricots
¼ tsp. ground cloves
4 Tbls. grated fresh ginger
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup light brown sugar
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly grated black pepper
1 cup water

Place onion, jalapeno and cilantro in the bowl of a food processor and
pulse until just diced. Add apricots and pulse 10-15 times or until well
chopped. Transfer the mixture to a medium sauce pan and stir in
remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat
to low and cook until liquid is mostly evaporated, about 12 minutes.
Chutney should be thick and gooey. Allow to cool to room temperature. It
can be kept in the refrigerator for several weeks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dried mangos would be good on a green salad with walnuts or pecans. I
wonder how they would be as an accompaniment to curry. I love the
kind of rice that has almonds and currants in it. I bet mango would
make an interesting substitution for the currants.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> Apricot Cilantro Chutney
>>
>> 1 large yellow onion cut into quarters
>> 3-4 Tbls. pickled Jalapeno peppers slices
>> 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
>> 8 oz. dried apricots
>> ¼ tsp. ground cloves
>> 4 Tbls. grated fresh ginger
>> 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
>> ¼ cup light brown sugar
>> ½ tsp. salt
>> ¼ tsp. freshly grated black pepper
>> 1 cup water
>>
>> Place onion, jalapeno and cilantro in the bowl of a food
>> processor and pulse until just diced. Add apricots and pulse 10-15
>> times or until well chopped. Transfer the mixture to a medium
>> sauce pan and stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer
>> over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook until liquid is
>> mostly evaporated, about 12 minutes. Chutney should be thick and
>> gooey. Allow to cool to room temperature. It can be kept in the
>> refrigerator for several weeks.
>>

> Both recipes sound really good, Dave. Copied and saved! Thanks!

Here is the Mango Chicken recipe. I have been making this for years
without consulting the recipe and realized that I has been forgetting
the garlic and ginger. It was still good, but I guess that explains why
it wasn`t quite as zesty as the first time.

MANGO CHUTNEY

2 Tablespoons butter
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 onion chopped
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
2 gloves garlic minced
1 Red pepper thinly sliced
1 cup 35% cream
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/3 cup mango (or peach) chutney
3 green onions thinly sliced
¼ cup coarsely chopped cashews (optional)

Melt butter in frying pan over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt
and pepper and add to pan. Cook, turning once, until golden brown (4-5
minutes per side). Remove chicken to platter, cover loosely with foil.

Add onion, red pepper, ginger and garlic to pan, and stir for one
minute. Whisk in cream, mustard, vinegar and chutney. Bring sauce to a
boil and simmer until slightly thickened.

Reduce heat and return chicken to pan. Stir in green onions and sprinkle
cashew pieces.

Serves 6

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> Dried mangos would be good on a green salad with walnuts or pecans.

That was one of my first thoughts, but I believe they might be a bit too
chewy. That's why I moved on to the idea of coleslaw; cabbage is sturdy
enough for the mango chewiness not to be an issue.

> I wonder how they would be as an accompaniment to curry. I love the
> kind of rice that has almonds and currants in it. I bet mango would
> make an interesting substitution for the currants.

NOW you're talking! That's a great idea; thanks.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Lin sent me a CARE package which contained (among other items) a package of
> Sunsweet dried mango slices. WOW those things are good! They're soft but
> slightly chewy, sweet, tangy, and full-flavored. I'm trying to come up with
> culinary uses for them when I get back.
>
> Besides eating as is (which is superb), I'm thinking of cutting them
> crosswise and putting them on skewers with marinated chicken. Or putting
> them onto sushi rice with octopus and a strip of preserved lemon. Or putting
> into a banh mie with roast pork and pickled ginger. Or putting them into a
> tropical cole slaw.
>
> What else would you do with them?
>
> Bob

Chop finely and put in muffins. Cut into strips and add to a chicken
stir fry. Rehydrate in OJ and use with fresh apricots to make a
kick-a$$ jam. (I think the latter was suggested by Mme. Schaller a
while back.)

Costco has delicious dried mangoes by the bag from the Philippines.
The flavor is as you describe.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I love em in a blender shake with banana, strawberries and lots of
tangy yogurt.

Mangos!!! zydecogary General Cooking 1 08-06-2011 07:18 PM
something with mangos Stormmee Asian Cooking 9 21-05-2009 03:30 PM
Mangos & Plans (long) The Joneses[_1_] Preserving 4 26-06-2007 05:43 PM
Manilla mangos Dee Randall General Cooking 0 12-08-2005 05:03 PM
Recipe for mango wine (from dried mangos) Harry Colquhoun Winemaking 5 15-08-2004 02:19 PM