Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oyster sauce substitute?

What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
hand?
I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.

It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote on Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:04:38 -0700 (PDT):

> What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't
> have it on hand?
> I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.

> It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

Look around; I've seen both regular and vegetarian oyster sauce in
ordinary grocery stores.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 4:22*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *Kalmia *wrote *on Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:04:38 -0700 (PDT):
>
> > What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't
> > have it on hand?
> > I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.
> > It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

> Look around; I've seen both regular and vegetarian oyster sauce in
> ordinary grocery stores.

No, by 'on hand', I meant didn't have it in the house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" wrote

> What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
> hand?
> I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.
> It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

Teriyaki and Hoisin mixed. It won't be the same, but it will do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote
> "Kalmia" wrote

>> What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
>> hand?
>> I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.
>> It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

> Teriyaki and Hoisin mixed. It won't be the same, but it will do.

Forgot to give a guide. I'd start with 2 parts teriyaki and 1 part hoisin
then taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 16:31:46 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote
> > "Kalmia" wrote

> >> What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
> >> hand?
> >> I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.
> >> It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

> > Teriyaki and Hoisin mixed. It won't be the same, but it will do.

> Forgot to give a guide. I'd start with 2 parts teriyaki and 1 part hoisin
> then taste.

I'd do soy and hoisin. Add a paste of garlic, ginger and onion to it
also. As you said, it'll be good, but it won't be the same.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in
:

> "Kalmia" wrote
>
>> What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
>> hand?
>> I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.
>> It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

> Teriyaki and Hoisin mixed. It won't be the same, but it will do.

I was going to go the soy and hoisin mixed.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Pain is your friend, your ally, it will tell you when you are seriously
injured, it will keep you awake and angry, and remind you to finish the job
and get the hell home. But you know the best thing about pain?

It lets you know you're not dead yet!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
> hand?
> I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.
>
> It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

There really is no substitute. I'd try mixing a bit of Hoisin and
Teryaki. Got any worcestershire? If so, I'd add that too.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PL" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote
>> "Kalmia" wrote

>>> What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
>>> hand?
>>> I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.
>>> It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

>> Teriyaki and Hoisin mixed. It won't be the same, but it will do.

> I was going to go the soy and hoisin mixed.

Not enough 'kick'. SF adds a paste of garlic, onion and ginger which might
be good too. For me, I stuck where the texture would match up fairly close.
Now, if i didnt mind a texture change and wanted to close in on the flavor,
I'd open a tin of smoked oysters and add one to the blender then pulse until
smooth.

I'd also have tamari vice teriyaki sauce. I've adjusted asian recipes on
the fly around ingredients for ages it seems.

What I recall of the few Thai oyster sauces is they were a little thinner.
This may be just the brands I tried though. Current one is a Malaysian
brand called Dynasty. Fairly thick as they go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote
> Kalmia wrote:

>> What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
>> hand?
>> I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.

>> It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

> There really is no substitute. I'd try mixing a bit of Hoisin and
> Teryaki. Got any worcestershire? If so, I'd add that too.

Lol! That would also be a good addition but yes, you can sub.

In my cabinet is a Kimlan (Taiwan) vegetarian mushroom 'oyster' sauce. No
oysters in it, this time it's a texture thing that drives the name. I have
an entire cabinet dedicated to 'sauces and vinegars' here. Don and I like
to play with different flavors in marinades. I also have a new bannana hot
sauce from Mexico to try.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-06-13, cshenk > wrote:

> What I recall of the few Thai oyster sauces is they were a little thinner.
> This may be just the brands I tried though. Current one is a Malaysian
> brand called Dynasty. Fairly thick as they go.

I have some Dynasty oyster sauce. Pretty common and carried by most
mkts.

I really want to try some Lee Kum Kee oyster sauce. I was surprised
to learn, from a recent tv program, that LKK, now a huge Asian food
condiment producer, began as the originator of oyster sauce. In fact,
they still make it the same old way, using oysters they still farm and
process themselves. I've taken a renewed interest in LKK and their
products and have been buying them whenever I run across them.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:32:42 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

> I also have a new bannana hot sauce from Mexico to try.

That might be different! What's the brand? I usually see the same
ole, same ole.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in
:

> "PL" wrote
>> "cshenk" wrote
>>> "Kalmia" wrote

>>> Teriyaki and Hoisin mixed. It won't be the same, but it will do.

>> I was going to go the soy and hoisin mixed.

> Not enough 'kick'.

Promite and water ;-P

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Pain is your friend, your ally, it will tell you when you are seriously
injured, it will keep you awake and angry, and remind you to finish the job
and get the hell home. But you know the best thing about pain?

It lets you know you're not dead yet!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

>> I also have a new bannana hot sauce from Mexico to try.

> That might be different! What's the brand? I usually see the same
> ole, same ole.

Milagros and it's more of a Mole with banana puree. Looks interesting!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 12:54:00 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

> "sf" wrote
> > "cshenk" wrote:

> >> I also have a new bannana hot sauce from Mexico to try.

> > That might be different! What's the brand? I usually see the same
> > ole, same ole.

> Milagros and it's more of a Mole with banana puree. Looks interesting!

It's sounding more and more interesting. Do you plan to use it as a
mole and not as a banana sauce? I dip lumpia in banana sauce.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 16:31:46 -0400, cshenk wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote
>> "Kalmia" wrote

>>> What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
>>> hand?
>>> I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.
>>> It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

>> Teriyaki and Hoisin mixed. It won't be the same, but it will do.

> Forgot to give a guide. I'd start with 2 parts teriyaki and 1 part hoisin
> then taste.

i was thinking of mushroom soy.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:32:42 -0400, cshenk wrote:

> "Omelet" wrote
>> Kalmia wrote:

>>> What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
>>> hand?
>>> I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.

>>> It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

>> There really is no substitute. I'd try mixing a bit of Hoisin and
>> Teryaki. Got any worcestershire? If so, I'd add that too.

> Lol! That would also be a good addition but yes, you can sub.
>
> In my cabinet is a Kimlan (Taiwan) vegetarian mushroom 'oyster' sauce. No
> oysters in it, this time it's a texture thing that drives the name.

that's why i was thinking mushroom soy. texture and umami.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> > That might be different! What's the brand? I usually see the same
>> > ole, same ole.

>> Milagros and it's more of a Mole with banana puree. Looks interesting!

> It's sounding more and more interesting. Do you plan to use it as a
> mole and not as a banana sauce? I dip lumpia in banana sauce.

Dunno! Never done 'mole' so I was gonna open it, sniff, then decide. Yeah,
I'm an odd cook like that. I don't particularily care about how something
is traditionally used, just what tastes nice to us.

Mostly I cook an asian-southern fusion. Try diping french fries in Banana
sauce! even better, add a pinch of wasabi powder and mix that in. Heaven!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

> I have some Dynasty oyster sauce. Pretty common and carried by most
> mkts.

Yup, decent stuff.

> I really want to try some Lee Kum Kee oyster sauce. I was surprised
> to learn, from a recent tv program, that LKK, now a huge Asian food
> condiment producer, began as the originator of oyster sauce. In fact,
> they still make it the same old way, using oysters they still farm and
> process themselves. I've taken a renewed interest in LKK and their
> products and have been buying them whenever I run across them.

I have tried quite a few of them and normally been pretty happy! Not a bad
brand to center on when not sure of some item. I think of them as a decent
centerline for all but soy sauces and patis. I upscale my patis and soys to
other types due to specific taste preferences.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> In my cabinet is a Kimlan (Taiwan) vegetarian mushroom 'oyster' sauce.
>> No
>> oysters in it, this time it's a texture thing that drives the name.

> that's why i was thinking mushroom soy. texture and umami.

Yes, it will come closer! She didnt have it though and hasnt replied to the
thread.

I'm curious what she did?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:16:34 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> i was thinking of mushroom soy.

I have a container that I never use. Good concept, but the saltiness
overwhelms any mushroom flavor.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:24:45 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:32:42 -0400, cshenk wrote:

> >> There really is no substitute. I'd try mixing a bit of Hoisin and
> >> Teryaki. Got any worcestershire? If so, I'd add that too.

> > Lol! That would also be a good addition but yes, you can sub.
> >
> > In my cabinet is a Kimlan (Taiwan) vegetarian mushroom 'oyster' sauce. No
> > oysters in it, this time it's a texture thing that drives the name.

> that's why i was thinking mushroom soy. texture and umami.

Oh, ok... yours has texture? None in mine, it's just flavored
(actually more smell, which disappears when cooked, than taste) soy.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 15:34:15 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

> >> Milagros and it's more of a Mole with banana puree. Looks interesting!

> > It's sounding more and more interesting. Do you plan to use it as a
> > mole and not as a banana sauce? I dip lumpia in banana sauce.

> Dunno! Never done 'mole' so I was gonna open it, sniff, then decide. Yeah,
> I'm an odd cook like that. I don't particularily care about how something
> is traditionally used, just what tastes nice to us.

Banana mole sounds unusual to me! I'd go with that first, see what it
tastes like and if it inspires me to do other things with it.

> Mostly I cook an asian-southern fusion. Try diping french fries in Banana
> sauce! even better, add a pinch of wasabi powder and mix that in. Heaven!

I've already tried that. I'm too white bread for that... still prefer
my beloved Heinz ketchup for fries.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

> It's sounding more and more interesting. Do you plan to use it as a
> mole and not as a banana sauce? I dip lumpia in banana sauce.

What's your lumpia filling?

MartyB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote
cshenk wrote:

>> > It's sounding more and more interesting. Do you plan to use it as a
>> > mole and not as a banana sauce? I dip lumpia in banana sauce.

>> Dunno! Never done 'mole' so I was gonna open it, sniff, then decide.
>> Yeah,
>> I'm an odd cook like that. I don't particularily care about how
>> something
>> is traditionally used, just what tastes nice to us.

> Banana mole sounds unusual to me! I'd go with that first, see what it
> tastes like and if it inspires me to do other things with it.

Was thinking to just baste some chicken with it and see what develops.

>> Mostly I cook an asian-southern fusion. Try diping french fries in
>> Banana
>> sauce! even better, add a pinch of wasabi powder and mix that in.
>> Heaven!

> I've already tried that. I'm too white bread for that... still prefer
> my beloved Heinz ketchup for fries.

Heheh at least you tried!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> > Mostly I cook an asian-southern fusion. Try diping french fries in Banana
> > sauce! even better, add a pinch of wasabi powder and mix that in. Heaven!

> I've already tried that. I'm too white bread for that... still prefer
> my beloved Heinz ketchup for fries.

Have you tried dipping fries in ranch dressing yet? <eg>
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2010-06-13, cshenk > wrote:
> >
> > What I recall of the few Thai oyster sauces is they were a little thinner.
> > This may be just the brands I tried though. Current one is a Malaysian
> > brand called Dynasty. Fairly thick as they go.

> I have some Dynasty oyster sauce. Pretty common and carried by most
> mkts.
>
> I really want to try some Lee Kum Kee oyster sauce. I was surprised
> to learn, from a recent tv program, that LKK, now a huge Asian food
> condiment producer, began as the originator of oyster sauce. In fact,
> they still make it the same old way, using oysters they still farm and
> process themselves. I've taken a renewed interest in LKK and their
> products and have been buying them whenever I run across them.
>
> nb

That's the only brand we ever use, other than its sister brand 'Panda'.
My current bottle of Panda brand says 'made in the US'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-06-13, Omelet > wrote:

> Have you tried dipping fries in ranch dressing yet? <eg>

Not even at gunpoint.

I hate ranch dressing. I despise ranch dressing. If salad dressings
were africa, ranch dressing would be aids. The biggest abomination in
the salad dressing world is taking ranch dressing, adding some blue
cheese bits, and calling it blue cheese dressing. What makes it so
horrific is, nine out of ten restaurants do just that! Ranch
dressing is the chicken mcnuggets of the salad dressing world.

I speeet on yew, ranch dressing. Ptui!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-06-13, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > Have you tried dipping fries in ranch dressing yet? <eg>

> Not even at gunpoint.
>
> I hate ranch dressing. I despise ranch dressing. If salad dressings
> were africa, ranch dressing would be aids. The biggest abomination in
> the salad dressing world is taking ranch dressing, adding some blue
> cheese bits, and calling it blue cheese dressing. What makes it so
> horrific is, nine out of ten restaurants do just that! Ranch
> dressing is the chicken mcnuggets of the salad dressing world.
>
> I speeet on yew, ranch dressing. Ptui!
>
> nb

<lol> Ok, I can respect that... :-)

While I will make my own fresh Ranch for a veggie dip, fries are eaten
nekkid. No dips! Just a bit of seasoning salt...

Salads get herbed oil and vinegar or a mustard dressing!
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> notbob wrote:
>>
>> On 2010-06-13, cshenk > wrote:
>> >
>> > What I recall of the few Thai oyster sauces is they were a little
>> > thinner.
>> > This may be just the brands I tried though. Current one is a Malaysian
>> > brand called Dynasty. Fairly thick as they go.

>> I have some Dynasty oyster sauce. Pretty common and carried by most
>> mkts.
>>
>> I really want to try some Lee Kum Kee oyster sauce. I was surprised
>> to learn, from a recent tv program, that LKK, now a huge Asian food
>> condiment producer, began as the originator of oyster sauce. In fact,
>> they still make it the same old way, using oysters they still farm and
>> process themselves. I've taken a renewed interest in LKK and their
>> products and have been buying them whenever I run across them.
>>
>> nb

> That's the only brand we ever use, other than its sister brand 'Panda'.
> My current bottle of Panda brand says 'made in the US'.

LKK is good stuff. But be aware that of the 4 or 5 different incarnations
of LKK oyster sauce, only the Premium (full color picture of couple in a
boat on label) lists "oyster extract" as the *first* ingredient. That's the
one you want. Panda and the others I've seen in varioust Asian stores
don't list it first.

Boli

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> I hate ranch dressing. I despise ranch dressing. If salad dressings
> were africa, ranch dressing would be aids. The biggest abomination in
> the salad dressing world is taking ranch dressing, adding some blue
> cheese bits, and calling it blue cheese dressing. What makes it so
> horrific is, nine out of ten restaurants do just that! Ranch
> dressing is the chicken mcnuggets of the salad dressing world.
>
> I speeet on yew, ranch dressing. Ptui!

You have some issues there.
Ranch dressing is not my favourite, but it's not bad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 18:44:39 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > > Mostly I cook an asian-southern fusion. Try diping french fries in Banana
> > > sauce! even better, add a pinch of wasabi powder and mix that in. Heaven!

> > I've already tried that. I'm too white bread for that... still prefer
> > my beloved Heinz ketchup for fries.

> Have you tried dipping fries in ranch dressing yet? <eg>

Yes. I prefer to dip chicken nuggets in Ranch.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 18:44:39 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:

> > > I've already tried that. I'm too white bread for that... still prefer
> > > my beloved Heinz ketchup for fries.

> > Have you tried dipping fries in ranch dressing yet? <eg>

> Yes. I prefer to dip chicken nuggets in Ranch.

I'll have to try that. I usually dip those in Marinara. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:19:11 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2010-06-13, Omelet > wrote:
>>
>> > Have you tried dipping fries in ranch dressing yet? <eg>

>> Not even at gunpoint.
>>
>> I hate ranch dressing. I despise ranch dressing. If salad dressings
>> were africa, ranch dressing would be aids. The biggest abomination in
>> the salad dressing world is taking ranch dressing, adding some blue
>> cheese bits, and calling it blue cheese dressing. What makes it so
>> horrific is, nine out of ten restaurants do just that! Ranch
>> dressing is the chicken mcnuggets of the salad dressing world.
>>
>> I speeet on yew, ranch dressing. Ptui!
>>
>> nb

><lol> Ok, I can respect that... :-)
>
>While I will make my own fresh Ranch for a veggie dip, fries are eaten
>nekkid. No dips! Just a bit of seasoning salt...
>
>Salads get herbed oil and vinegar or a mustard dressing!

I've made salad dressings using plain fat free yogurt as a base that
got raves; in a quart mayo jar to a pint of yogurt add grainy mustard,
honey, dill weed, granulated garlic, s n'p, apple cider vinegar, thin
to consistancy of choice with beer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:19:11 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > notbob > wrote:

> >> Not even at gunpoint.
> >>
> >> I hate ranch dressing. I despise ranch dressing. If salad dressings
> >> were africa, ranch dressing would be aids. The biggest abomination in
> >> the salad dressing world is taking ranch dressing, adding some blue
> >> cheese bits, and calling it blue cheese dressing. What makes it so
> >> horrific is, nine out of ten restaurants do just that! Ranch
> >> dressing is the chicken mcnuggets of the salad dressing world.
> >>
> >> I speeet on yew, ranch dressing. Ptui!
> >>
> >> nb

> ><lol> Ok, I can respect that... :-)
> >
> >While I will make my own fresh Ranch for a veggie dip, fries are eaten
> >nekkid. No dips! Just a bit of seasoning salt...
> >
> >Salads get herbed oil and vinegar or a mustard dressing!

> I've made salad dressings using plain fat free yogurt as a base that
> got raves; in a quart mayo jar to a pint of yogurt add grainy mustard,
> honey, dill weed, granulated garlic, s n'p, apple cider vinegar, thin
> to consistancy of choice with beer.

Sounds interesting, but I'd skip the honey. I really do not care for
sweet dressings for the most part (altho' raspberry dressings are a
class all their own!).

Yogurt as a base is a good idea.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 12:49:51 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:24:45 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:32:42 -0400, cshenk wrote:
>>
>>> "Omelet" wrote

>>> Lol! That would also be a good addition but yes, you can sub.
>>>
>>> In my cabinet is a Kimlan (Taiwan) vegetarian mushroom 'oyster' sauce. No
>>> oysters in it, this time it's a texture thing that drives the name.

>> that's why i was thinking mushroom soy. texture and umami.
>>

> Oh, ok... yours has texture? None in mine, it's just flavored
> (actually more smell, which disappears when cooked, than taste) soy.

it's maybe not as thick as oyster sauce, but it has thickness.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 22:57:15 -0400, bolivar wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
>>

>> notbob wrote:

>>> I have some Dynasty oyster sauce. Pretty common and carried by most
>>> mkts.
>>>
>>> I really want to try some Lee Kum Kee oyster sauce. I was surprised
>>> to learn, from a recent tv program, that LKK, now a huge Asian food
>>> condiment producer, began as the originator of oyster sauce. In fact,
>>> they still make it the same old way, using oysters they still farm and
>>> process themselves. I've taken a renewed interest in LKK and their
>>> products and have been buying them whenever I run across them.
>>>
>>> nb

>> That's the only brand we ever use, other than its sister brand 'Panda'.
>> My current bottle of Panda brand says 'made in the US'.

> LKK is good stuff. But be aware that of the 4 or 5 different incarnations
> of LKK oyster sauce, only the Premium (full color picture of couple in a
> boat on label) lists "oyster extract" as the *first* ingredient. That's the
> one you want. Panda and the others I've seen in varioust Asian stores
> don't list it first.
>
> Boli

sound advice.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:43:34 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> it's maybe not as thick as oyster sauce, but it has thickness.

OK, mine's completely different. Maybe I'll give it another try if I
notice mushroom soy again.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bolivar wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > notbob wrote:

> >> I have some Dynasty oyster sauce. Pretty common and carried by most
> >> mkts.
> >>
> >> I really want to try some Lee Kum Kee oyster sauce. I was surprised
> >> to learn, from a recent tv program, that LKK, now a huge Asian food
> >> condiment producer, began as the originator of oyster sauce. In fact,
> >> they still make it the same old way, using oysters they still farm and
> >> process themselves. I've taken a renewed interest in LKK and their
> >> products and have been buying them whenever I run across them.
> >>
> >> nb

> > That's the only brand we ever use, other than its sister brand 'Panda'.
> > My current bottle of Panda brand says 'made in the US'.

> LKK is good stuff. But be aware that of the 4 or 5 different incarnations
> of LKK oyster sauce, only the Premium (full color picture of couple in a
> boat on label) lists "oyster extract" as the *first* ingredient. That's the
> one you want. Panda and the others I've seen in varioust Asian stores
> don't list it first.
>
> Boli

TY but I know that LOL. The Panda brand is for when the income is lower

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> bolivar wrote:

>> > That's the only brand we ever use, other than its sister brand 'Panda'.
>> > My current bottle of Panda brand says 'made in the US'.

>> LKK is good stuff. But be aware that of the 4 or 5 different
>> incarnations
>> of LKK oyster sauce, only the Premium (full color picture of couple in a
>> boat on label) lists "oyster extract" as the *first* ingredient. That's
>> the
>> one you want. Panda and the others I've seen in varioust Asian stores
>> don't list it first.
>>
>> Boli

> TY but I know that LOL. The Panda brand is for when the income is lower

Rats!! Sorry, Arri, that was meant for nb, and I see now that I didn't
"address" him. lol
I figured you knew that.

Boli

Oyster Sauce & Fish Sauce xxtamxx General Cooking 11 09-09-2011 05:23 PM
Beef In Oyster Sauce James Lanka Recipes (moderated) 0 14-12-2008 12:30 AM
recommendation for best Oyster sauce Dee Randall Asian Cooking 9 17-11-2006 12:34 AM
Oyster Sauce Chicken Duckie ® Recipes 0 11-06-2005 12:02 AM
oyster sauce + MSG David Downie Asian Cooking 46 24-02-2005 04:13 AM