Oyster sauce substitute?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oyster sauce substitute?

What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
hand?
I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.

It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote on Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:04:38 -0700 (PDT):

What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't
have it on hand?
I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.

It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

Look around; I've seen both regular and vegetarian oyster sauce in
ordinary grocery stores.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 12-06-2010, 09:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 4:22*pm, "James Silverton"
wrote:
*Kalmia *wrote *on Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:04:38 -0700 (PDT):

What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't
have it on hand?
I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.
It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

Look around; I've seen both regular and vegetarian oyster sauce in
ordinary grocery stores.

No, by 'on hand', I meant didn't have it in the house.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" wrote

What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
hand?
I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.
It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

Teriyaki and Hoisin mixed. It won't be the same, but it will do.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote
"Kalmia" wrote

What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
hand?
I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.
It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

Teriyaki and Hoisin mixed. It won't be the same, but it will do.

Forgot to give a guide. I'd start with 2 parts teriyaki and 1 part hoisin
then taste.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 16:31:46 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

"cshenk" wrote
"Kalmia" wrote

What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
hand?
I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.
It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

Teriyaki and Hoisin mixed. It won't be the same, but it will do.

Forgot to give a guide. I'd start with 2 parts teriyaki and 1 part hoisin
then taste.

I'd do soy and hoisin. Add a paste of garlic, ginger and onion to it
also. As you said, it'll be good, but it won't be the same.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in
:

"Kalmia" wrote

What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
hand?
I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.
It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

Teriyaki and Hoisin mixed. It won't be the same, but it will do.

I was going to go the soy and hoisin mixed.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Pain is your friend, your ally, it will tell you when you are seriously
injured, it will keep you awake and angry, and remind you to finish the job
and get the hell home. But you know the best thing about pain?

It lets you know you're not dead yet!
Old 13-06-2010, 12:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Kalmia wrote:

What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
hand?
I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.

It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

There really is no substitute. I'd try mixing a bit of Hoisin and
Teryaki. Got any worcestershire? If so, I'd add that too.
--
Peace! Om

Old 13-06-2010, 03:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"PL" wrote
"cshenk" wrote
"Kalmia" wrote

What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
hand?
I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.
It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

Teriyaki and Hoisin mixed. It won't be the same, but it will do.

I was going to go the soy and hoisin mixed.

Not enough 'kick'. SF adds a paste of garlic, onion and ginger which might
be good too. For me, I stuck where the texture would match up fairly close.
Now, if i didnt mind a texture change and wanted to close in on the flavor,
I'd open a tin of smoked oysters and add one to the blender then pulse until
smooth.

I'd also have tamari vice teriyaki sauce. I've adjusted asian recipes on
the fly around ingredients for ages it seems.

What I recall of the few Thai oyster sauces is they were a little thinner.
This may be just the brands I tried though. Current one is a Malaysian
brand called Dynasty. Fairly thick as they go.

Old 13-06-2010, 03:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote
Kalmia wrote:

What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
hand?
I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.

It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

There really is no substitute. I'd try mixing a bit of Hoisin and
Teryaki. Got any worcestershire? If so, I'd add that too.

Lol! That would also be a good addition but yes, you can sub.

In my cabinet is a Kimlan (Taiwan) vegetarian mushroom 'oyster' sauce. No
oysters in it, this time it's a texture thing that drives the name. I have
an entire cabinet dedicated to 'sauces and vinegars' here. Don and I like
to play with different flavors in marinades. I also have a new bannana hot
sauce from Mexico to try.

Old 13-06-2010, 04:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-06-13, cshenk wrote:

What I recall of the few Thai oyster sauces is they were a little thinner.
This may be just the brands I tried though. Current one is a Malaysian
brand called Dynasty. Fairly thick as they go.

I have some Dynasty oyster sauce. Pretty common and carried by most
mkts.

I really want to try some Lee Kum Kee oyster sauce. I was surprised
to learn, from a recent tv program, that LKK, now a huge Asian food
condiment producer, began as the originator of oyster sauce. In fact,
they still make it the same old way, using oysters they still farm and
process themselves. I've taken a renewed interest in LKK and their
products and have been buying them whenever I run across them.

nb
Old 13-06-2010, 05:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:32:42 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

I also have a new bannana hot sauce from Mexico to try.

That might be different! What's the brand? I usually see the same
ole, same ole.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Old 13-06-2010, 05:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in
:

"PL" wrote
"cshenk" wrote
"Kalmia" wrote

What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
hand?
I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.
It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

Teriyaki and Hoisin mixed. It won't be the same, but it will do.

I was going to go the soy and hoisin mixed.

Not enough 'kick'.

Promite and water ;-P

Old 13-06-2010, 05:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

I also have a new bannana hot sauce from Mexico to try.

That might be different! What's the brand? I usually see the same
ole, same ole.

Milagros and it's more of a Mole with banana puree. Looks interesting!

Old 13-06-2010, 06:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 12:54:00 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

"sf" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

I also have a new bannana hot sauce from Mexico to try.

That might be different! What's the brand? I usually see the same
ole, same ole.

Milagros and it's more of a Mole with banana puree. Looks interesting!

It's sounding more and more interesting. Do you plan to use it as a
mole and not as a banana sauce? I dip lumpia in banana sauce.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.