Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default CA's Stater Bros.

Whatinheck has happened to Stater Bros. meat department? They built
their reputation on their meat dept. and that's been my go-to market
for meat. I went in yesterday to get a couple of NY strips and a
couple of belts of baby back ribs for the weekend and the offering in
the case and the wrapped stuff in the cooler looked pathetic. The NY
strips were maybe 1/2" thick, nowhere near the 1" I prefer, and the
baby backs looked like they'd dried out a bit. Upon inquiring, I was
told that there was nothing in the back to cut for a thicker steak.

I also bought a pound of their applewood smoked bacon, which I fried
up this morning. That, I'm happy to say, was worth the side trip to
Stater Bros. I'll give them another shot, hoping it was just an off
day and they were down to the nubbins from Memorial Day weekend,
because I don't like Ralph's or Vons' meats particularly (inconsistent
as hell) and Gelson's is nine prices.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-06-05, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> Whatinheck has happened to Stater Bros. meat department?

Can't rightly say, as I've successfully avoided SoCal for 35 yrs.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> Whatinheck has happened to Stater Bros. meat department? They built
> their reputation on their meat dept.

I would have asked.

They replaced a few Albertsons in the S.D. area and I could never
understand their reputation for great meat because we never saw it.
I think Daughter transfered her loyalty to Henry's/Boney's when
the change occured.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 4:08*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> Whatinheck has happened to Stater Bros. meat department? They built
> their reputation on their meat dept. and that's been my go-to market
> for meat. I went in yesterday to get a couple of NY strips and a
> couple of belts of baby back ribs for the weekend and the offering in
> the case and the wrapped stuff in the cooler looked pathetic. The NY
> strips were maybe 1/2" thick, nowhere near the 1" I prefer, and the
> baby backs looked like they'd dried out a bit. Upon inquiring, I was
> told that there was nothing in the back to cut for a thicker steak.
>
> I also bought a pound of their applewood smoked bacon, which I fried
> up this morning. That, I'm happy to say, was worth the side trip to
> Stater Bros. *I'll give them another shot, hoping it was just an off
> day and they were down to the nubbins from Memorial Day weekend,
> because I don't like Ralph's or Vons' meats particularly (inconsistent
> as hell) and Gelson's is nine prices.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --
>
> "If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
> if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
> and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
> it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines
>
> To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

i believe their main offices is in san bernardino. give them a call &
complain about the store.

Harriet & critters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> Whatinheck has happened to Stater Bros. meat department? They built
> their reputation on their meat dept. and that's been my go-to market
> for meat. I went in yesterday to get a couple of NY strips and a
> couple of belts of baby back ribs for the weekend and the offering in
> the case and the wrapped stuff in the cooler looked pathetic. The NY
> strips were maybe 1/2" thick, nowhere near the 1" I prefer, and the
> baby backs looked like they'd dried out a bit. Upon inquiring, I was
> told that there was nothing in the back to cut for a thicker steak.
>
> I also bought a pound of their applewood smoked bacon, which I fried
> up this morning. That, I'm happy to say, was worth the side trip to
> Stater Bros. I'll give them another shot, hoping it was just an off
> day and they were down to the nubbins from Memorial Day weekend,
> because I don't like Ralph's or Vons' meats particularly (inconsistent
> as hell) and Gelson's is nine prices.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Nuts. I'll have to check the store in Santa Clarita that used to be the
only place I could get St. Luis Cut Ribs.

My favorite cut.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 07:44:52 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>Nuts. I'll have to check the store in Santa Clarita that used to be the
>only place I could get St. Luis Cut Ribs.
>
>My favorite cut.

They had the St. Louis cuts when I went in on Friday, but as I said in
the original post, they looked dried out.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> Nuts. I'll have to check the store in Santa Clarita that used to be the
> only place I could get St. Luis Cut Ribs.
>
> My favorite cut.
>
> Dimitri

Make your own from spareribs using only two cuts! (1) Cut off the flap
on the bone side of the ribs. Remove and discard the tough, silvery
membrane on the bone side by slipping a dull knife under the edge. Use
pliers or a paper towel to grab it and peel it off the bones. This will
remove the tough, inedible part and allow the seasonings to work on the
bone side also. Grab the long sides of the ribs in both hands and flex
them to find where the bone ends. (2) Cut through them right at this
line. Often there's a line of fat at the same place. Don't be surprised
if the rib bones are only a third the size of the store cut. You will
have three pieces -- the boneless flap, the (St. Louis style) ribs and
the brisket, which is mostly cartilage and fat.