Default Cube Steaks

OK, I admit....for me, the greatest joy in cooking is the raves I get.
Cooking for just me.....I rarely bother - just make some eggs, a
sandwich, or anything that requires minimal effort.

However, I feel it's time to start eating better, and I've been making
pots of stew, soups or whatever, and freezing them in individual
portions.

I got some cube steaks on sale - should be quick and easy - but I'm
tired of them plain, with onions. Anyone have any suggestions for cube
steak dishes for one?

Thanks!

Smother with mushrooms and onions....yum!

Smother with mushrooms and onions....yum!

Gregory Morrow

> Smother with mushrooms and onions....yum!

Or make chicken - fried steak with them )

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

> Smother with mushrooms and onions....yum!

Or make chicken - fried steak with them )

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

> Smother with mushrooms and onions....yum!

Or make chicken - fried steak with them )

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

> Smother with mushrooms and onions....yum!

Or make chicken - fried steak with them )

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

> Smother with mushrooms and onions....yum!

Or make chicken - fried steak with them )

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

> Smother with mushrooms and onions....yum!

Or make chicken - fried steak with them )

--
Best
Greg

PENMART01

>> I got some cube steaks on sale - should be quick and easy - but I'm
>> tired of them plain, with onions. Anyone have any suggestions for cube
>> steak dishes for one?

Swiss Steak:
http://www.therecipeforcooking.com/swiss-steak.html

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>> I got some cube steaks on sale - should be quick and easy - but I'm
>> tired of them plain, with onions. Anyone have any suggestions for cube
>> steak dishes for one?

Swiss Steak:
http://www.therecipeforcooking.com/swiss-steak.html

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Steve Calvin

PENMART01 wrote:

> Swiss Steak:
> http://www.therecipeforcooking.com/swiss-steak.html

HEY, they stole my recipe! Only they changed round steak (that's what I
use) to cube steak! ;-) If using round steak, when you coat the steak
with flour prior to browning, pound the steak with a meat tenderizer.
(I'd recommend doing this step outside if possible ;-) )

I'd also recommend Crisco (the one in the can) for the oil. I don't know
what it is about it but it doesn't come out the same if you use other
oils. I also add mushrooms. One of my all-time favorite meals.

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

Steve Calvin

PENMART01 wrote:

> Swiss Steak:
> http://www.therecipeforcooking.com/swiss-steak.html

HEY, they stole my recipe! Only they changed round steak (that's what I
use) to cube steak! ;-) If using round steak, when you coat the steak
with flour prior to browning, pound the steak with a meat tenderizer.
(I'd recommend doing this step outside if possible ;-) )

I'd also recommend Crisco (the one in the can) for the oil. I don't know
what it is about it but it doesn't come out the same if you use other
oils. I also add mushrooms. One of my all-time favorite meals.

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

PENMART01

>Melba's Jammin'

>> > I got some cube steaks on sale - should be quick and easy - but I'm
>> > tired of them plain, with onions. Anyone have any suggestions for
>> > cube steak dishes for one?

>> ....And, I just happened to cook one with onions for supper tonight.
>> Funny you should be bored with them. I just rediscovered them. I'm
>> thinking fried bell and jalapeno peppers and onions with my next
>> grilled cube steak sanwich.

>> nb

>What's the right way to cook a cube steak, nb? Fast or slow? I've not
>had good success, and it's been years (like 15-20) since I've cooked one.

If you know for sure it's a fairly tender cut then grilling or pan frying works
well, but if you're uncertain about how tender your meat is then swissing
(braising) is the way to go.. I much prefer swiss steak, oven braised with lots
of onions, 'shrooms, and beefy gravy, and lotsa wide egg noodles, or potato
nic.

Heat a large heavy covered skillet. Pound your meat with seasoned flour. Brown
meat and add lots of onions to sweat, then shrooms, s n' p, jug o wine, cover
and cook in a slow oven till tender, 'bout 2-3 hours.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Melba's Jammin'

>> > I got some cube steaks on sale - should be quick and easy - but I'm
>> > tired of them plain, with onions. Anyone have any suggestions for
>> > cube steak dishes for one?

>> ....And, I just happened to cook one with onions for supper tonight.
>> Funny you should be bored with them. I just rediscovered them. I'm
>> thinking fried bell and jalapeno peppers and onions with my next
>> grilled cube steak sanwich.

>> nb

>What's the right way to cook a cube steak, nb? Fast or slow? I've not
>had good success, and it's been years (like 15-20) since I've cooked one.

If you know for sure it's a fairly tender cut then grilling or pan frying works
well, but if you're uncertain about how tender your meat is then swissing
(braising) is the way to go.. I much prefer swiss steak, oven braised with lots
of onions, 'shrooms, and beefy gravy, and lotsa wide egg noodles, or potato
nic.

Heat a large heavy covered skillet. Pound your meat with seasoned flour. Brown
meat and add lots of onions to sweat, then shrooms, s n' p, jug o wine, cover
and cook in a slow oven till tender, 'bout 2-3 hours.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Mpoconnor7

>I got some cube steaks on sale - should be quick and easy - but I'm
>tired of them plain, with onions. Anyone have any suggestions for cube
>steak dishes for one?

You could dredge them in some eggwash and flour and or cornmeal and fry them in
1/2 inch of oil; make some country fried steak. Serve with some country gravy
and mashed potatoes and biscuits and put the gravy over everything.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"I actually thought about voting for John Kerry before I decided to vote
against him."

Mpoconnor7

>I got some cube steaks on sale - should be quick and easy - but I'm
>tired of them plain, with onions. Anyone have any suggestions for cube
>steak dishes for one?

You could dredge them in some eggwash and flour and or cornmeal and fry them in
1/2 inch of oil; make some country fried steak. Serve with some country gravy
and mashed potatoes and biscuits and put the gravy over everything.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"I actually thought about voting for John Kerry before I decided to vote
against him."
notbob

On 2004-10-21, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> What's the right way to cook a cube steak, nb? Fast or slow? I've not
> had good success, and it's been years (like 15-20) since I've cooked one.

Yeah, I pretty much abandoned them years ago, myself. But, with the price
of beef through the roof and pre-ground burger a crapshoot, cubes seemed a
neat way to satisfy that rare but insistent cow craving the sneaks up on me.
And, since modern beef is just about tasteless anyway, I don't feel bad
about fixing cheap eats with added flavor gimmicks. I cook mine in bacon
grease on med high, just below smokin' ...IOW, hot and fast... but then I
like seeing red in the middle. I often throw some Worcestershire on it about 20
seconds before yanking it off the heat. I also eat 'em just like a burger,
throwing a slice of plasti-cheese on top.

The cubes we have out here have been run through those cutter type
tenderizers that leave the meat about a micromesh away from being true
ground meat. In fact, I had one weird piece that was so bizarrely shaped, I
just took a chefs knife to it and made it into ground and reshaped it. This
can be a good move with poorer quality cubes. The one I had last night was
very good quality and was very tender. Not like some that, despite the
severe cut-tenderizing, are like chewing on a dish rag.

nb
notbob

On 2004-10-21, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> What's the right way to cook a cube steak, nb? Fast or slow? I've not
> had good success, and it's been years (like 15-20) since I've cooked one.

Yeah, I pretty much abandoned them years ago, myself. But, with the price
of beef through the roof and pre-ground burger a crapshoot, cubes seemed a
neat way to satisfy that rare but insistent cow craving the sneaks up on me.
And, since modern beef is just about tasteless anyway, I don't feel bad
about fixing cheap eats with added flavor gimmicks. I cook mine in bacon
grease on med high, just below smokin' ...IOW, hot and fast... but then I
like seeing red in the middle. I often throw some Worcestershire on it about 20
seconds before yanking it off the heat. I also eat 'em just like a burger,
throwing a slice of plasti-cheese on top.

The cubes we have out here have been run through those cutter type
tenderizers that leave the meat about a micromesh away from being true
ground meat. In fact, I had one weird piece that was so bizarrely shaped, I
just took a chefs knife to it and made it into ground and reshaped it. This
can be a good move with poorer quality cubes. The one I had last night was
very good quality and was very tender. Not like some that, despite the
severe cut-tenderizing, are like chewing on a dish rag.

nb
notbob

On 2004-10-21, jmcquown > wrote:

> Make a nice buttermilk
> batter with egg, salt, pepper. Dredge the cube steak in some seasoned flour
> then dip it in the batter and fry the suckers over medium-high heat in a
> little vegetabke oil (or melted vegetable shortening) until crispy. Top
> with cream gravy and be sure to put some on the mashed potatoes, too.

Geez Jill, yer killin' me, here! Your post after I ate my last cube
borders on beef brutality.

nb
notbob

On 2004-10-21, jmcquown > wrote:

> Make a nice buttermilk
> batter with egg, salt, pepper. Dredge the cube steak in some seasoned flour
> then dip it in the batter and fry the suckers over medium-high heat in a
> little vegetabke oil (or melted vegetable shortening) until crispy. Top
> with cream gravy and be sure to put some on the mashed potatoes, too.

Geez Jill, yer killin' me, here! Your post after I ate my last cube
borders on beef brutality.

nb

Thanks everyone!

"I was going to suggest that, then I re-read the OP. Eating "better"
would suggest to me, healthier. Chicken fried steak is wonderful but not
particularly healthy. Oh what the hell. Go for it. Make a nice
buttermilk batter with egg, salt, pepper. Dredge the cube steak in some
seasoned flour then dip it in the batter and fry the suckers over
medium-high heat in a little vegetabke oil (or melted vegetable
shortening) until crispy. Top with cream gravy and be sure to put some
on the mashed potatoes, too.
Jill"

So that's what a chicken fried steak is! I have a friend in TX who
keeps telling me I MUST have one, but when I saw it on the menu at a
local cafe, it said something about milk in the gravy....and being
lactose intolerant, I can't handle that. But, I reckon I can try the
steaks without the gravy....or is that sacrilege? )

I hadn't had cube steaks in years, then one of the local supermarkets
had them on sale for $1.99 a pound - and the quality is quite good!
So, I got a large package, and a bunch of these little suckers in my
freezer, waiting for me to do something interesting to them.

jmcquown

notbob wrote:
> On 2004-10-21, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Make a nice buttermilk
>> batter with egg, salt, pepper. Dredge the cube steak in some
>> seasoned flour then dip it in the batter and fry the suckers over
>> medium-high heat in a little vegetable oil (or melted vegetable
>> shortening) until crispy. Top with cream gravy and be sure to put
>> some on the mashed potatoes, too.

> Geez Jill, yer killin' me, here! Your post after I ate my last cube
> borders on beef brutality.
>
> nb

Sorry, nb - didn't mean to be so cruel! ;p

Jill

Cube(d) Steaks - eeeeeek! jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 9 06-03-2015 01:27 AM
Cube Steaks jmcquown General Cooking 13 09-05-2008 05:42 PM
Cube steaks? † cal General Cooking 12 29-05-2007 03:55 AM
Salsa Cube Steaks Kathy Recipes (moderated) 0 19-01-2006 09:21 AM
Ideas for using venison cube steaks zxcvbob General Cooking 1 15-01-2005 08:43 PM