Grilled Cheese - Mayo on the outside

Old 02-06-2010, 04:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grilled Cheese - Mayo on the outside

Somebody here recently mentioned putting mayo instead of butter on
the outside of the bread before you fry/toast it.

In theory, I thought, it should work just fine. Mayo has about
the same fat content as real butter or margarine, and mayo is
kinda rich like butter, and is easier to apply - so why not? Just
lower the heat a little to account for the egg solids cooking too
fast.

So it really does work acceptably, except that it makes the bread
slightly chewy, probably due to a higher water content in the
mayo. And I forgot my own advice to lower the heat so the first
side was a little scorched after a few seconds.

It's not ever going to become a fad, but it works in a pinch and
it's easier. I will use it again if ever out of butter. But it
didn't reduce my craving for a crispy, oily (unhomogenized)
grilled cheese; I'll have to make another one later tonight.

Grilled cheese tips: Never use any "spread" that is less than 70%
oil content. And instead of waiting for the butter to soften,
just heat a tablespoon of of cold butter in a pan, swish evenly to
coat bottom of small bread-size pan, then drop your pieces of
perfectly flat bread (not scrunched) in to the oil for 1.5 second,
lift and rotate bread 90 degrees and repeat. When you get good at
it, you can use as little as a table spoon of butter for both
pieces of bread (which is less than you'd use spreading it).

-sw
Old 02-06-2010, 04:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
Somebody here recently mentioned putting mayo instead of butter on
the outside of the bread before you fry/toast it.

In theory, I thought, it should work just fine. Mayo has about
the same fat content as real butter or margarine, and mayo is
kinda rich like butter, and is easier to apply - so why not? Just
lower the heat a little to account for the egg solids cooking too
fast.

So it really does work acceptably, except that it makes the bread
slightly chewy, probably due to a higher water content in the
mayo. [snip]

In that case, you are using too much.

Bob
Old 02-06-2010, 01:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
Somebody here recently mentioned putting mayo instead of butter on
the outside of the bread before you fry/toast it.

In theory, I thought, it should work just fine. Mayo has about
the same fat content as real butter or margarine, and mayo is
kinda rich like butter, and is easier to apply - so why not? Just
lower the heat a little to account for the egg solids cooking too
fast.

So it really does work acceptably, except that it makes the bread
slightly chewy, probably due to a higher water content in the
mayo. And I forgot my own advice to lower the heat so the first
side was a little scorched after a few seconds.

(snippage)

When my mother made grilled cheese she put the mayo on the inside and
buttered the outside. Makes more sense, if one wants mayo on a grilled
cheese sandwich. I don't.

Jill

Old 02-06-2010, 02:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 1, 11:00*pm, Sqwertz wrote:
Somebody here recently mentioned putting mayo instead of butter on
the outside of the bread before you fry/toast it. *

That's a southern thing in our family...started that tradition back in
the 60's when we made grilled pimento cheese sandwiches. Boy, they
were good!

Old 02-06-2010, 03:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 08:50:35 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
Somebody here recently mentioned putting mayo instead of butter on
the outside of the bread before you fry/toast it.

In theory, I thought, it should work just fine. Mayo has about
the same fat content as real butter or margarine, and mayo is
kinda rich like butter, and is easier to apply - so why not? Just
lower the heat a little to account for the egg solids cooking too
fast.

So it really does work acceptably, except that it makes the bread
slightly chewy, probably due to a higher water content in the
mayo. And I forgot my own advice to lower the heat so the first
side was a little scorched after a few seconds.

(snippage)

When my mother made grilled cheese she put the mayo on the inside and
buttered the outside. Makes more sense, if one wants mayo on a grilled
cheese sandwich. I don't.

I always melt butter in the pan, I've never buttered the bread, never
thought to, makes no sense... when you fry eggs do you butter the raw
yolks...
Old 02-06-2010, 03:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 06:59:01 -0700 (PDT), "Mr. Bill"
wrote:

On Jun 1, 11:00*pm, Sqwertz wrote:
Somebody here recently mentioned putting mayo instead of butter on
the outside of the bread before you fry/toast it. *

That's a southern thing in our family...started that tradition back in
the 60's when we made grilled pimento cheese sandwiches. Boy, they
were good!

Seems southerners never figured out to melt butter in the pan.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
Somebody here recently mentioned putting mayo instead of butter on
the outside of the bread before you fry/toast it.

In theory, I thought, it should work just fine. Mayo has about
the same fat content as real butter or margarine, and mayo is
kinda rich like butter, and is easier to apply - so why not? Just
lower the heat a little to account for the egg solids cooking too
fast.

So it really does work acceptably, except that it makes the bread
slightly chewy, probably due to a higher water content in the
mayo. And I forgot my own advice to lower the heat so the first
side was a little scorched after a few seconds.

(snippage)

When my mother made grilled cheese she put the mayo on the inside and
buttered the outside. Makes more sense, if one wants mayo on a grilled
cheese sandwich. I don't.

You've mentioned that before and I tried it. It was pretty weird.

Lou
Old 02-06-2010, 04:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
[...]

What do eggs have to do with grilled cheese sandwiches?!

Jill

Old 02-06-2010, 05:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Jun 1, 11:00*pm, Sqwertz wrote:
Somebody here recently mentioned putting mayo instead of butter on
the outside of the bread before you fry/toast it. *

That's a southern thing in our family...started that tradition back in
the 60's when we made grilled pimento cheese sandwiches. Boy, they
were good!

It's not a southern thing. I'll use it (sparingly) for grilled
sandwiches if I'm out of butter or when butter is refrigerator hard.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I learned from a friend how good some mustard is on the inside of the
bread. Try that for a nice crisp taste.
Nan in DE

Old 02-06-2010, 09:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

wrote:

On Jun 1, 11:00*pm, Sqwertz wrote:
Somebody here recently mentioned putting mayo instead of butter on
the outside of the bread before you fry/toast it. *

That's a southern thing in our family...started that tradition back in
the 60's when we made grilled pimento cheese sandwiches. Boy, they
were good!

It's not a southern thing. I'll use it (sparingly) for grilled
sandwiches if I'm out of butter or when butter is refrigerator hard.

We have done that, too. I prefer it with butter, but a thin spread
of mayo tastes alright, too, when it's cooked up on the stove.

Never tried it, but I often use olive oil for frying. I like the flavor
just as well as butter, and I figure I get enough dairy in the cheese.
I like to put some meat inside, also. Salami (hard) is my favorite, but
I'll put in whatever I can find.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 02-06-2010, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 22:45:10 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

Sqwertz wrote:

So it really does work acceptably, except that it makes the bread
slightly chewy, probably due to a higher water content in the
mayo. [snip]

In that case, you are using too much.

No, I didn't. You couldn't have used any less than I did. It was
less than a TB, just enough to oil up the toast so it didn't burn
or have any dry spots.

If anything, I needed to use more. Maybe that's why it didn't get
crispy.

-sw
Old 02-06-2010, 10:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 08:50:35 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

When my mother made grilled cheese she put the mayo on the inside and
buttered the outside. Makes more sense, if one wants mayo on a grilled
cheese sandwich. I don't.

That wasn't the point of the experiment. I didn't want mayo on my
sandwich.

-sw
Old 02-06-2010, 10:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 06:59:01 -0700 (PDT), Mr. Bill wrote:

On Jun 1, 11:00*pm, Sqwertz wrote:
Somebody here recently mentioned putting mayo instead of butter on
the outside of the bread before you fry/toast it. *

That's a southern thing in our family...started that tradition back in
the 60's when we made grilled pimento cheese sandwiches. Boy, they
were good!

Don't remind me. Somebody mentioned pimento cheese here a few
months ago, and when I looked for it at the store, there was only
one brand that wasn't made from imitation cheese: Price's.

And even that was some nasty-assed shit. Shredded cheddar cheese
(60%) mixed with miracle whip and red food coloring (the other
40%).

-sw
Old 02-06-2010, 10:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...
| "brooklyn1" wrote in message
| On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 08:50:35 -0400, "jmcquown"
| wrote:
|
| "Sqwertz" wrote in message
| Somebody here recently mentioned putting mayo instead of butter on
| the outside of the bread before you fry/toast it.
|
| In theory, I thought, it should work just fine. Mayo has about
| the same fat content as real butter or margarine, and mayo is
| kinda rich like butter, and is easier to apply - so why not? Just
| lower the heat a little to account for the egg solids cooking too
| fast.
|
| So it really does work acceptably, except that it makes the bread
| slightly chewy, probably due to a higher water content in the
| mayo. And I forgot my own advice to lower the heat so the first
| side was a little scorched after a few seconds.
|
| (snippage)
|
| When my mother made grilled cheese she put the mayo on the inside and
| buttered the outside. Makes more sense, if one wants mayo on a grilled
| cheese sandwich. I don't.
|
| I always melt butter in the pan, I've never buttered the bread, never
| thought to, makes no sense... when you fry eggs do you butter the raw
| yolks...

It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Separate the yolk and white,
and have some warmish melted butter around. Put some of the melted
butter in the palm of one hand and slide the yolk into it, swirl around
gently and voila! a buttered egg yolk. The trick is getting the whites
and the buttered yolk together again to fry them, the whites tend to
reject the buttered yolk.

pavane