Weber charcoal grill replacement/repair parts?

Old 23-05-2010, 05:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Weber charcoal grill replacement/repair parts?

We cleaned up and fired up an old Weber charcoal grill last evening,
but found that the bottom louver controls were rusted off, leaving the
bottom louvers open and uncontrollable. I looked on the Weber website
and here's a pic of what should be in the bottom of this Weber kettle:

http://www.weber.com/assets/en-us/fe...d18_diff_2.jpg

I searched the Weber site for repair parts but found nada.

Anyone have experience repairing such a problem? What approach did you
use (besides buying a whole new Weber kettle) and where did you get
parts?

Thanks,

John Kuthe...
Old 23-05-2010, 05:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 May 2010 09:28:43 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
wrote:

We cleaned up and fired up an old Weber charcoal grill last evening,
but found that the bottom louver controls were rusted off, leaving the
bottom louvers open and uncontrollable. I looked on the Weber website
and here's a pic of what should be in the bottom of this Weber kettle:

http://www.weber.com/assets/en-us/fe...d18_diff_2.jpg

I searched the Weber site for repair parts but found nada.

Anyone have experience repairing such a problem? What approach did you
use (besides buying a whole new Weber kettle) and where did you get
parts?

I'm surprised that part rusted out before the kettle did. My
experience was just the opposite. Check your kettle carefully for
holes, you probably need a whole new unit.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Old 23-05-2010, 05:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
We cleaned up and fired up an old Weber charcoal grill last evening,
but found that the bottom louver controls were rusted off, leaving the
bottom louvers open and uncontrollable. I looked on the Weber website
and here's a pic of what should be in the bottom of this Weber kettle:

http://www.weber.com/assets/en-us/fe...d18_diff_2.jpg

I searched the Weber site for repair parts but found nada.

Anyone have experience repairing such a problem? What approach did you
use (besides buying a whole new Weber kettle) and where did you get
parts?

I'm surprised that part rusted out before the kettle did. *My
experience was just the opposite. *Check your kettle carefully for
holes, you probably need a whole new unit.

Well, from the bottom visualizing from outside the kettle, the
external adjustment arm and shaft to inside the kettle looks all rusty
and is immobile, but I'm not sure about the actual metal of the
kettle. If the kettle metal (which is supposed to be ceramic glazed
and rustproof) is OK, then all I'll need is a replacement louver and
control assembly. Or so I'd think.

I'm just not in a position right now to dig into it to find out. Too
much drinking last evening, and recovering slowly! Getting old sucks,
but it beats the alternative! :-)

John Kuthe...
Old 23-05-2010, 06:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" wrote in message
We cleaned up and fired up an old Weber charcoal grill last evening,
but found that the bottom louver controls were rusted off, leaving the
bottom louvers open and uncontrollable. I looked on the Weber website
and here's a pic of what should be in the bottom of this Weber kettle:

http://www.weber.com/assets/en-us/fe...d18_diff_2.jpg

I searched the Weber site for repair parts but found nada.

Anyone have experience repairing such a problem? What approach did you
use (besides buying a whole new Weber kettle) and where did you get
parts?

Thanks,

John Kuthe...

Weber has excellent customer service. All parts from old Weber grills are
available at in addition to what's on theWeber site. That's been my
experience. Call the Customer Service Line: 1-800-446-1071. Their prices and
shipping are reasonable.

Kent

Old 23-05-2010, 06:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 May 2010 09:44:21 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
wrote:

Well, from the bottom visualizing from outside the kettle, the
external adjustment arm and shaft to inside the kettle looks all rusty
and is immobile, but I'm not sure about the actual metal of the
kettle. If the kettle metal (which is supposed to be ceramic glazed
and rustproof) is OK, then all I'll need is a replacement louver and
control assembly. Or so I'd think.

Maybe all it needs is a little WD40 or whatever it is that you'd spray
on something that's rusty.

I'm just not in a position right now to dig into it to find out. Too
much drinking last evening, and recovering slowly! Getting old sucks,
but it beats the alternative! :-)

Yeah, creeping age does something to our ability to consume alcohol
with no side effects. We're all getting rusty.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Old 23-05-2010, 06:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

We cleaned up and fired up an old Weber charcoal grill last evening,
but found that the bottom louver controls were rusted off, leaving the
bottom louvers open and uncontrollable. I looked on the Weber website
and here's a pic of what should be in the bottom of this Weber kettle:

http://www.weber.com/assets/en-us/fe...d18_diff_2.jpg

I searched the Weber site for repair parts but found nada.

Anyone have experience repairing such a problem? What approach did you
use (besides buying a whole new Weber kettle) and where did you get
parts?

That's a tough one -- the bottom vent is the failure point you
may not be able to do anything about. But if it is stuck in the open
position, you can still use the grill, the main drawback being
it will waste charcoal by continuing to burn when you're finished
grilling.

A large hardware store that carries Weber products is your
best shot at trying to order a replacement. (Not Home Depot
or similar, a real hardware store.)

Steve
Old 23-05-2010, 08:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 12:00*pm, "Kent" wrote:
"John Kuthe" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Kent. That's what I'll do, once I get the time and mind to dig
into the grill a little further.

John Kuthe...
Old 23-05-2010, 09:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 12:55*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
John Kuthe wrote:

We cleaned up and fired up an old Weber charcoal grill last evening,
but found that the bottom louver controls were rusted off, leaving the
bottom louvers open and uncontrollable. I looked on the Weber website
and here's a pic of what should be in the bottom of this Weber kettle:

http://www.weber.com/assets/en-us/fe...d18_diff_2.jpg

I searched the Weber site for repair parts but found nada.

Anyone have experience repairing such a problem? What approach did you
use (besides buying a whole new Weber kettle) and where did you get
parts?

That's a tough one -- the bottom vent is the failure point you
may not be able to do anything about. *But if it is stuck in the open
position, you can still use the grill, the main drawback being
it will waste charcoal by continuing to burn when you're finished
grilling.

Yeah, it's the three bladed adjustable louver shown he

http://www.weber.com/assets/en-us/fe...d18_diff_2.jpg

All three blades (inside the grill) have rusted off, and the mechanism
of adjustment from the outside is rusted solid anyway. The grill has
been sitting outside for several years. And with all three blades
rusted off, the vent louvers are wide open which makes the charcoal
burn like a raging inferno! That's my mail problem, I had a slab of
ribs on there yesterday and I had to move each rib segment to the
outside/periphery of the grill to keep them from getting incinerated!

The louver adjustment is not only for shutting off and extinguishing
the charcoal, they are also for adjusting the burn rate and
consequently the temperature of grilling. I know how to use a Weber
kettle, as a buddy of mine has one.

A large hardware store that carries Weber products is your
best shot at trying to order a replacement. *(Not Home Depot
or similar, a real hardware store.)

I hear ya! I know the difference between a real hardware store and a
Home Depot/Lowes chain store. ;-)

John Kuthe...
Old 23-05-2010, 09:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

The louver adjustment is not only for shutting off and extinguishing
the charcoal, they are also for adjusting the burn rate and
consequently the temperature of grilling. I know how to use a Weber
kettle, as a buddy of mine has one.

This is true in practice, but the instructions that came with my Weber
state to always leave the bottom louvre completely open when
the kettle is in use. In practice, I almost always do, unless
it is exceptionally windy (which can cause the Weber to burn its
fuel too fast).

A large hardware store that carries Weber products is your
best shot at trying to order a replacement. *(Not Home Depot
or similar, a real hardware store.)

I hear ya! I know the difference between a real hardware store and a
Home Depot/Lowes chain store. ;-)

Yep. ;-)

S.
Old 23-05-2010, 10:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
[...]

After 20 years, the bottom of our Smokey Joe just rusted into
unusability. That was the model with three separate vents as well as a
lid with a real wooden handle, which I would steel wool and touch up
with tung oil every so often. Its passing hurt.

The replacements have a single vent, and an ugly grey plastic lid
handle.

I thought the three-legged gizmo you show was just for sweeping ashes
out the bottom. If you just wanted the bottom airflow adjuster, could
you fabricate one out of sheet metal, with tin snips and a nibbler?
Maybe a hole saw and a file, too? Then you could attach it with a nut,
bolt, two flat washers, and a split ring to hold the tightness.

My Smokey Joe airflow adjusters survived the demise of the kettle
itself. But they were scaled down for the Smokey Joe's kettle size.
Old 23-05-2010, 11:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
[...]

I used to use a Smokey Joe for years. Yeah, mine had the real wood
handle too. And it had adjustable louvers top and bottom just like the
bigger Weber kettles, but unlike this full sized one the Smokey Joe
louver adjustment was outside the kettle wall metal. Made a whole lot
better send to me too than the "ash sweeper" adjuster on this full
sized kettle.

John Kuthe...
Old 24-05-2010, 01:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I used to use a Smokey Joe for years. Yeah, mine had the real wood
handle too. And it had adjustable louvers top and bottom just like the
bigger Weber kettles, but unlike this full sized one the Smokey Joe
louver adjustment was outside the kettle wall metal. Made a whole lot
better send to me too than the "ash sweeper" adjuster on this full
sized kettle.

John Kuthe...

I have one the kids got me for my birthday last year that I only used once,
without much success. I couldn't keep the charcoal burning long enough to
grill a couple of strip steaks. I meant to do some research to figure out
what I was doing wrong but never got to it. It's just easier to fire up the
gas Weber.

Jon

Old 24-05-2010, 02:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 7:15*pm, "Zeppo" wrote:
I used to use a Smokey Joe for years. Yeah, mine had the real wood
handle too. And it had adjustable louvers top and bottom just like the
bigger Weber kettles, but unlike this full sized one the Smokey Joe
louver adjustment was outside the kettle wall metal. Made a whole lot
better send to me too than the "ash sweeper" adjuster on this full
sized kettle.

John Kuthe...

I have one the kids got me for my birthday last year that I only used once,
without much success. I couldn't keep the charcoal burning long enough to
grill a couple of strip steaks. I meant to do some research to figure out
what I was doing wrong but never got to it. It's just easier to fire up the
gas Weber.

Jon

Did you have the bottom vents closed? I'm assuming for strip steaks
you'd have the lid off the Smokey Joe for grilling them. But
still...maybe it was the charcoal.

OBCooking/Food: I just had some of the ribs I'd cooked using my too-
hot Weber with wide open bottom vents/louvers and they ROCK! Too much
garlic, if there is such a thing though. Just before removing from the
Weber I dribble-basted them with bourbon and let the alcohol cook off
before putting the ribs in a foil pan, covering with some BBQ sauce
thinned with a little wine (to rinse out the BBQ sauce bottle), and
then minced too much garlic on them, covered and baked at 275 for 1.5
hours. Mmmmmmmm!!!! :-)

John Kuthe...
Old 24-05-2010, 04:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 5:15*pm, "Zeppo" wrote:
I used to use a Smokey Joe for years. Yeah, mine had the real wood
handle too. And it had adjustable louvers top and bottom just like the
bigger Weber kettles, but unlike this full sized one the Smokey Joe
louver adjustment was outside the kettle wall metal. Made a whole lot
better send to me too than the "ash sweeper" adjuster on this full
sized kettle.

John Kuthe...

I have one the kids got me for my birthday last year that I only used once,
without much success. I couldn't keep the charcoal burning long enough to
grill a couple of strip steaks. I meant to do some research to figure out
what I was doing wrong but never got to it. It's just easier to fire up the
gas Weber.

My new one didn't work very well till I used it for a while. A Weber
rep I once asked said that people are more likely to have trouble with
the similar "tuck and carry" models, which have two vents halfway up,
making air less likely to flow through the fire.
Old 24-05-2010, 05:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" wrote in message
On May 23, 7:15 pm, "Zeppo" wrote:
[...]

The ribs sound wonderful. No such thing as too much garlic.

I have the Smokey Joe Silver, not the tuck and carry. I'm pretty sure the
vents were wide open, so It might have been the charcoal. I'm really out of
practice using a charcoal grill and I've never used one so small. I started
them in a charcoal chimney filled to the top, and dumped them into the grill
when they were pretty much grey all over. The first side went well, but it
seems like fat and juices dripping off the steaks put out the charcoal. The
second side never got a char. Course, this was almost a year ago so I can't
be sure I'm remembering it right.

Jon