Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Feliz Cinco De Mayo

>OK....before we even start...I KNOW that Cinco de Mayo is not for
>three days...yes..that is right it is Wednesday.

In Minneapolis, the celebration is today -- the same day as the May Day
Parade.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2010 5:08 PM, dsgood wrote:

>> OK....before we even start...I KNOW that Cinco de Mayo is not for
>> three days...yes..that is right it is Wednesday.

> In Minneapolis, the celebration is today -- the same day as the May Day
> Parade.

Last May Day celebration I attended was in Istanbul, the soldiers were
busy hunting Communists who had adopted May Day as their own holiday. I
asked a Turk soldier what they did when they caught one decorating a
statue of Ataturk and he told me they usually just killed them. We shook
hands and parted. May 1, 1985.

As an aside, when I was a kid in the late forties, early fifties we
always had a Maypole at school and danced around it and a mini-carnival,
sort of an end to the cold winter holiday. Haven't seen that in a very
long time. I must be getting really old.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-02 15:36:23 -0700, George Shirley said:

> Last May Day celebration I attended was in Istanbul, the soldiers were
> busy hunting Communists who had adopted May Day as their own holiday. I
> asked a Turk soldier what they did when they caught one decorating a
> statue of Ataturk and he told me they usually just killed them.

Those Turks--what kidders! "Hello, Johnny; what is your name?"

> We shook hands and parted. May 1, 1985.
>
> As an aside, when I was a kid in the late forties, early fifties we
> always had a Maypole at school and danced around it and a
> mini-carnival, sort of an end to the cold winter holiday. Haven't seen
> that in a very long time. I must be getting really old.

You've just skewed the mean age here up by 20 minutes.
--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll