FoodBanter.com

-   -   Adding Gluten to All-Purpose Flour (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/396013-adding-gluten-all-purpose.html)

Damaeus[_3_] 25-04-2010 11:01 PM

Adding Gluten to All-Purpose Flour

I've got some all-purpose flour and I also have some gluten. Could I get
similar results adding some gluten to the all-purpose flour for baking
bread? How much would one need to add?

Damaeus
--
"Marijuana inflames the erotic impulses and leads to revolting sex
crimes"

brooklyn1 25-04-2010 11:07 PM

Some... you ****ing MOROON!

Mark Thorson 25-04-2010 11:11 PM

Damaeus wrote:

> I've got some all-purpose flour and I also have some gluten. Could I get
> similar results adding some gluten to the all-purpose flour for baking
> bread? How much would one need to add?

No, you cannot get similar results that way.
That would only make sense if you were adding
gluten to cake flour or (god forbid) potato flour.

Damaeus[_3_] 25-04-2010 11:48 PM

Adding Gluten to All-Purpose Flour

In news:rec.food.cooking, brooklyn1's pussy >
posted on Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:07:44 -0400 the following:

> Damaeus wrote:
>
> > I've got some all-purpose flour and I also have some gluten. Could I
> > get similar results adding some gluten to the all-purpose flour for
> > baking bread? How much would one need to add?

> Some... you ****ing MOROON!

Who are you? Do you reply to everyone like this?

Damaeus

Arri London 26-04-2010 12:10 AM

Damaeus wrote:

> I've got some all-purpose flour and I also have some gluten. Could I get
> similar results adding some gluten to the all-purpose flour for baking
> bread? How much would one need to add?
>
> Damaeus

We usually add 1 tbs of powdered gluten to the flour needed to make a
1.5 loaf of bread. That amounts to about 3--3.5 cups of flour. You could
add more and see what the texture turns out to be.

Boron Elgar[_1_] 26-04-2010 12:11 AM

Adding Gluten to All-Purpose Flour

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:11:26 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Damaeus wrote:
>>
>> I've got some all-purpose flour and I also have some gluten. Could I get
>> similar results adding some gluten to the all-purpose flour for baking
>> bread? How much would one need to add?

>No, you cannot get similar results that way.
>That would only make sense if you were adding
>gluten to cake flour or (god forbid) potato flour.

You are incorrect. You can get excellent results adding it to all
purpose.

All purpose flours are generally lower in protein content than bread
flours. Adding a bit of vital wheat gluten to all purpose flour can be
quite beneficial in some bread making. Making this a smart move,
though, depends greatly on the recipe and the texture results one is
seeking. It is wonderful for heavy, whole grain breads if one is
unfamiliar with handling complicated doughs and wants to give a lift
to the texture and rise.

Some bread bakers never use VWG as an additive and insist that a
proper bread flour be used when the recipe calls for it, but unless
one is a frequent bread baker, often AP is the only flour around. VWG
lasts forever in the freezer.

Cake flour is not generally used for breads, and I wouldn't bother
trying to correct its very low protein level with VWG to make bread.
Potato flour is usually added as only part of the flour load in bread,
and recipes are more likely to call for potato, rather than potato
flour.

About one tablespoon per loaf. Note results and adjust as necessary
the next time the recipe is used.

Boron

Damaeus[_3_] 26-04-2010 12:11 AM

Adding Gluten to All-Purpose Flour

In news:rec.food.cooking, Arri London > posted on Sun, 25
Apr 2010 17:10:40 -0600 the following:

> Damaeus wrote:
>
> > I've got some all-purpose flour and I also have some gluten. Could I
> > get similar results adding some gluten to the all-purpose flour for
> > baking bread? How much would one need to add?

> We usually add 1 tbs of powdered gluten to the flour needed to make a
> 1.5 loaf of bread. That amounts to about 3--3.5 cups of flour. You
> could add more and see what the texture turns out to be.

A French Bread recipe I'm going to try calls for 3.5 to 4 cups of flour,
so I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Damaeus

Kalmia 26-04-2010 12:13 AM

On Apr 25, 6:01*pm, Damaeus > wrote:
> I've got some all-purpose flour and I also have some gluten. *Could I get
> similar results adding some gluten to the all-purpose flour for baking
> bread? *How much would one need to add?
>
> Damaeus
> --
> "Marijuana inflames the erotic impulses and leads to revolting sex
> crimes"
> -Daily Mirror (1924)

I use 1 T. to 1C all purpose flour when I am out of bread flour. Mix
well.
I haven't noticed much difference.

I never priced it out, so I can't say which is cheaper.

Joe[_22_] 26-04-2010 12:20 AM

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> I've got some all-purpose flour and I also have some gluten. Could I get
> similar results adding some gluten to the all-purpose flour for baking
> bread? How much would one need to add?
>
> Damaeus
> --
> "Marijuana inflames the erotic impulses and leads to revolting sex
> crimes"
> -Daily Mirror (1924)

30% all purpose 36% gluten and 34% marijuana should work well for you

dsi1[_9_] 26-04-2010 12:23 AM

On 4/25/2010 12:01 PM, Damaeus wrote:
> I've got some all-purpose flour and I also have some gluten. Could I get
> similar results adding some gluten to the all-purpose flour for baking
> bread? How much would one need to add?

I've baked bread using gluten and all-purpose flour. The results were
loaves that were crispy and shiny. It's a pretty neat additive. I think
I used one or two tablespoons for 4 cups of flour. These days I just use
AP flour - my results are still good enough for me.

Graham 26-04-2010 12:40 AM

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> In news:rec.food.cooking, Arri London > posted on Sun, 25
> Apr 2010 17:10:40 -0600 the following:
>
>> Damaeus wrote:
>>
>> > I've got some all-purpose flour and I also have some gluten. Could I
>> > get similar results adding some gluten to the all-purpose flour for
>> > baking bread? How much would one need to add?

>> We usually add 1 tbs of powdered gluten to the flour needed to make a
>> 1.5 loaf of bread. That amounts to about 3--3.5 cups of flour. You
>> could add more and see what the texture turns out to be.

> A French Bread recipe I'm going to try calls for 3.5 to 4 cups of flour,
> so I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Funnily enough, French bread flours are lower in gluten and are closer to AP
than N.American bread flours.
Graham

Melba's Jammin' 26-04-2010 12:42 AM

Adding Gluten to All-Purpose Flour

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> I've got some all-purpose flour and I also have some gluten. Could I get
> similar results adding some gluten to the all-purpose flour for baking
> bread? How much would one need to add?
>
> Damaeus

Similar to what?

Bread was baked for a very long time by home bakers before anyone ever
heard of bread flour, high protein flour, or any of the myriad types of
flour on the supermarket shelves today.

I bake white bread with all purpose flour. I bake whole wheat bread
with a mixture of whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, and some vital
wheat gluten if I think about including it.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Damaeus[_3_] 26-04-2010 02:59 AM

Adding Gluten to All-Purpose Flour

In news:rec.food.cooking, "graham" > posted on Sun, 25
Apr 2010 17:40:25 -0600 the following:

> Funnily enough, French bread flours are lower in gluten and are closer to AP
> than N.American bread flours.

Well, if I can get a loaf of bread to turn out lighter than pound cake,
I'll be happy. I've got pizza crust, pancakes, biscuits and muffins down.
The last frontier is a loaf of bread that tastes as good as it makes the
house smells when it's baking.

Damaeus

dsi1[_9_] 26-04-2010 03:10 AM

On 4/25/2010 3:59 PM, Damaeus wrote:
> In news:rec.food.cooking, > posted on Sun, 25
> Apr 2010 17:40:25 -0600 the following:
>
>> Funnily enough, French bread flours are lower in gluten and are closer to AP
>> than N.American bread flours.

> Well, if I can get a loaf of bread to turn out lighter than pound cake,
> I'll be happy. I've got pizza crust, pancakes, biscuits and muffins down.
> The last frontier is a loaf of bread that tastes as good as it makes the
> house smells when it's baking.

If you're making a French or Italian loaf, the addition of gluten will
help considerably. If you're making an American-style white bread, not
so much - in which case, I'd forget about it.

Damaeus[_3_] 26-04-2010 03:10 AM

Adding Gluten to All-Purpose Flour

In news:rec.food.cooking, Melba's Jammin' >
posted on Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:42:53 -0500 the following:

> In article >,
> Damaeus > wrote:
>
> > I've got some all-purpose flour and I also have some gluten. Could I
> > get similar results adding some gluten to the all-purpose flour for
> > baking bread? How much would one need to add?

> Similar to what?

French bread.

> Bread was baked for a very long time by home bakers before anyone ever
> heard of bread flour, high protein flour, or any of the myriad types of
> flour on the supermarket shelves today.

Yeah, that's what I thought...and either their bread was crappy, though
nobody complained because it was better than going hungry...or somehow
they made bread just as good from all-purpose flour and today's bakers
just take the easy way out by baking with special varieties of flour. I've
got no problem with shopping for flour, but I'd rather stick to
all-purpose because I have a huge tub I keep it in that makes it easy to
scoop out what I need without making a mess over even a large canister.

> I bake white bread with all purpose flour. I bake whole wheat bread
> with a mixture of whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, and some vital
> wheat gluten if I think about including it.

I'll be happy with white bread for now. heh

Damaeus

Melba's Jammin' 26-04-2010 04:50 AM

Damaeus > wrote:

> In news:rec.food.cooking, Melba's Jammin' >
> posted on Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:42:53 -0500 the following:
>
> > In article >,
> > Damaeus > wrote:
> >
> > > I've got some all-purpose flour and I also have some gluten. Could I
> > > get similar results adding some gluten to the all-purpose flour for
> > > baking bread? How much would one need to add?

> > Similar to what?

> French bread.
>
> > Bread was baked for a very long time by home bakers before anyone ever
> > heard of bread flour, high protein flour, or any of the myriad types of
> > flour on the supermarket shelves today.

> Yeah, that's what I thought...and either their bread was crappy, though
> nobody complained because it was better than going hungry...or somehow
> they made bread just as good from all-purpose flour and today's bakers
> just take the easy way out by baking with special varieties of flour.

I think it's more complicated than that.

Giusi 26-04-2010 09:22 AM

Adding Gluten to All-Purpose Flour

"Damaeus" scritto nel messaggio
Melba's Jammin' >

>> Bread was baked for a very long time by home bakers before anyone ever>>
>> heard of bread flour, high protein flour, or any of the myriad types of
>> flour on the supermarket shelves today.

> Yeah, that's what I thought...and either their bread was crappy, though>
> nobody complained because it was better than going hungry...or somehow
> they made bread just as good from all-purpose flour and today's bakers>
> just take the easy way out by baking with special varieties of flour.

Bread was also made a long time before you could buy flour. What people
want from bread altered over time and is now most recently becoming "all the
kinds of bread ever made anywhere" rather than what your culture is used to.
So yeah, you can make bread from what you have and buying specialty flours
to make other kinds is not IMO taking the easy way out, but widening what
you're willing to do.

brooklyn1 26-04-2010 05:06 PM

Adding Gluten to All-Purpose Flour

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 22:50:41 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Damaeus > wrote:
>
>> In news:rec.food.cooking, Melba's Jammin' >
>> posted on Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:42:53 -0500 the following:

>> > Similar to what?

>> French bread.
>>
>> > Bread was baked for a very long time by home bakers before anyone ever
>> > heard of bread flour, high protein flour, or any of the myriad types of
>> > flour on the supermarket shelves today.

>> Yeah, that's what I thought...and either their bread was crappy, though
>> nobody complained because it was better than going hungry...or somehow
>> they made bread just as good from all-purpose flour and today's bakers
>> just take the easy way out by baking with special varieties of flour.

>I think it's more complicated than that.

It's a lot more complicated, but a whole lot simpler too... breads
from as little as 50 years ago were baked from flours far coarser than
what's used today... most young folks today have never eaten *real*
bread, not anywhere on the planet. The finast bakeries on the planet
aren't producing much better than Wonder. That's part of why folks
comment about their ABMs... ewww, it makes hocky pucks, I hafta chew!
Ahahahahahahaha. . . .

Arri London 27-04-2010 12:04 AM

Damaeus wrote:

> In news:rec.food.cooking, "graham" > posted on Sun, 25
> Apr 2010 17:40:25 -0600 the following:
>
> > Funnily enough, French bread flours are lower in gluten and are closer to AP
> > than N.American bread flours.

> Well, if I can get a loaf of bread to turn out lighter than pound cake,
> I'll be happy. I've got pizza crust, pancakes, biscuits and muffins down.
> The last frontier is a loaf of bread that tastes as good as it makes the
> house smells when it's baking.
>
> Damaeus

Use a wetter/sloppier dough for the French-type bread. Also only make it
with flour, water, yeast and salt. Anything else will drag the bread
down, as it were.

Motzarella[_2_] 27-04-2010 03:34 AM

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Damaeus wrote:
>>
>> In news:rec.food.cooking, "graham" > posted on Sun, 25
>> Apr 2010 17:40:25 -0600 the following:
>>
>> > Funnily enough, French bread flours are lower in gluten and are closer
>> > to AP
>> > than N.American bread flours.

>> Well, if I can get a loaf of bread to turn out lighter than pound cake,
>> I'll be happy. I've got pizza crust, pancakes, biscuits and muffins
>> down.
>> The last frontier is a loaf of bread that tastes as good as it makes the
>> house smells when it's baking.
>>
>> Damaeus

> Use a wetter/sloppier dough for the French-type bread. Also only make it
> with flour, water, yeast and salt. Anything else will drag the bread
> down, as it were.

Type 55 French flour is not high gluten flour. It is especially good for
baguettes. Thus, you should be using a good American A/P flour when making
baguettes in America. Enough with the high gluten flour. Use it if you want
to make bagels.

Alan