Scary Easter Candy

Old 25-03-2010, 03:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Scary Easter Candy

I was eating some Easter candy, reading the ingredients (bad move), and
came across a few ingredients I've never heard of before. This was one of
them:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q="white+dispersion+of+titan ium+dioxide"

Not only is it a cured polyurethane composition containing epoxy resin,
but it's also an Easter candy as well!

-sw
Old 25-03-2010, 03:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Better link included:

http://tinyurl.com/yzg7mrx

Old 25-03-2010, 04:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
Better link included:

Sqwertz wrote:
I was eating some Easter candy, reading the ingredients (bad move), and
came across a few ingredients I've never heard of before. This was one
of them:

http://tinyurl.com/yzg7mrx

Not only is it a cured polyurethane composition containing epoxy

resin, but it's also an Easter candy as well!

-sw

All it is is an inert white pigment.

Bob
Old 25-03-2010, 05:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:30:01 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

Sqwertz wrote:
Better link included:

Sqwertz wrote:
I was eating some Easter candy, reading the ingredients (bad move), and
came across a few ingredients I've never heard of before. This was one
of them:

http://tinyurl.com/yzg7mrx

Not only is it a cured polyurethane composition containing epoxy
resin, but it's also an Easter candy as well!

All it is is an inert white pigment.

Uhh, I'm pretty sure they're vegetarian!

-sw
Old 25-03-2010, 05:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:30:01 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

Sqwertz wrote:
Better link included:

Sqwertz wrote:
I was eating some Easter candy, reading the ingredients (bad move), and
came across a few ingredients I've never heard of before. This was one
of them:
http://tinyurl.com/yzg7mrx

Not only is it a cured polyurethane composition containing epoxy
resin, but it's also an Easter candy as well!

All it is is an inert white pigment.

Uhh, I'm pretty sure they're vegetarian!

-sw

I said pigment, not pigmeat. ;-) (or "pig mint", /Mentha sus/)

Bob
Old 25-03-2010, 06:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

All it is is an inert white pigment.

Uhh, I'm pretty sure they're vegetarian!

I said pigment, not pigmeat. ;-) (or "pig mint", /Mentha sus/)

Ahh. I have Freudian vision.

heh.

-sw
Old 25-03-2010, 07:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/25/2010 1:03 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:30:01 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

Sqwertz wrote:
Better link included:

Sqwertz wrote:
I was eating some Easter candy, reading the ingredients (bad move), and
came across a few ingredients I've never heard of before. This was one
of them:

http://tinyurl.com/yzg7mrx

Not only is it a cured polyurethane composition containing epoxy
resin, but it's also an Easter candy as well!

All it is is an inert white pigment.

Uhh, I'm pretty sure they're vegetarian!

It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. The stuff
when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

Old 25-03-2010, 08:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:
On 3/25/2010 1:03 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:30:01 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

Sqwertz wrote:
Better link included:

Sqwertz wrote:
I was eating some Easter candy, reading the ingredients (bad
move), and came across a few ingredients I've never heard of
before. This was one of them:

http://tinyurl.com/yzg7mrx

Not only is it a cured polyurethane composition containing epoxy
resin, but it's also an Easter candy as well!

All it is is an inert white pigment.

Uhh, I'm pretty sure they're vegetarian!

It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. The stuff
when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

There's an additive that makes buttercream whiter that contains the same
stuff.

Factory-made candy will almost always contain "fake" ingredients.

Old 25-03-2010, 09:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

On 3/25/2010 1:03 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:30:01 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

Sqwertz wrote:
Better link included:

Sqwertz wrote:
I was eating some Easter candy, reading the ingredients (bad move), and
came across a few ingredients I've never heard of before. This was one
of them:

http://tinyurl.com/yzg7mrx

Not only is it a cured polyurethane composition containing epoxy
resin, but it's also an Easter candy as well!

All it is is an inert white pigment.

Uhh, I'm pretty sure they're vegetarian!

It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. The stuff
when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

The production process is a little more
complex than that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titaniu...ide#Production
Old 26-03-2010, 02:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. The stuff
when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

Titanium dioxide is what I use to make my beeswax white for my egg
decorating. It is very very white.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Angel Food Dessert, March 23, 2010
Old 26-03-2010, 12:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/25/2010 9:19 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In ,
"J. wrote:

It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. The stuff
when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

Titanium dioxide is what I use to make my beeswax white for my egg
decorating. It is very very white.

We have a plant here that makes the stuff. They take titanium ore and
treat it with several chemicals and turn out a pure, harmless coloring
agent. They're known as Louisiana Pigments, aka LAPIG. Large payroll,
well-treated employees, very low accident rate. I used to consult with
them on occasion. Pretty nice folks with lots of money tied up in
environmental controls.
Old 26-03-2010, 12:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

* "J. *wrote:

It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. *The stuff
when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

Titanium dioxide is what I use to make my beeswax white for my egg
decorating. *It is very very white.

We have a plant here that makes the stuff. They take titanium ore and
treat it with several chemicals and turn out a pure, harmless coloring
agent. They're known as Louisiana Pigments, aka LAPIG. Large payroll,
well-treated employees, very low accident rate. I used to consult with
them on occasion. Pretty nice folks with lots of money tied up in
environmental controls.

Ok, so as ethical consumers, we can still eat foods that include this
ingredient.
;-)

maxine in ri
Old 26-03-2010, 01:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. wrote:

It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. The stuff
when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

Titanium dioxide is what I use to make my beeswax white for my egg
decorating. It is very very white.

We have a plant here that makes the stuff. They take titanium ore and
treat it with several chemicals and turn out a pure, harmless coloring
agent. They're known as Louisiana Pigments, aka LAPIG. Large payroll,
well-treated employees, very low accident rate. I used to consult with
them on occasion. Pretty nice folks with lots of money tied up in
environmental controls.

Good. Now I know where I can get some powdered pigment. It's hard to
find up here in the art stores.

Angel Food Dessert, March 23, 2010
Old 26-03-2010, 02:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:26:28 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "J. Clarke"
wrote,
It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. The stuff
when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

The first foodstuff I ever saw it in was quarts of non-fat non-dairy
"coffee whitener" cream substitute. Carnation is one brand.
Old 26-03-2010, 02:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke" wrote,

It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. The stuff
when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

I don't think anyone wnats to eat titanium ore.
Methinks you mean titanium dioxide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium