Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Scary Easter Candy

I was eating some Easter candy, reading the ingredients (bad move), and
came across a few ingredients I've never heard of before. This was one of
them:

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q="white+dispersion+of+titan ium+dioxide">

Not only is it a cured polyurethane composition containing epoxy resin,
but it's also an Easter candy as well!

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Better link included:

http://tinyurl.com/yzg7mrx

> Not only is it a cured polyurethane composition containing epoxy resin,
> but it's also an Easter candy as well!

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Better link included:
>
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> I was eating some Easter candy, reading the ingredients (bad move), and
>> came across a few ingredients I've never heard of before. This was one
>> of them:

> http://tinyurl.com/yzg7mrx
>
> > Not only is it a cured polyurethane composition containing epoxy

> resin, > but it's also an Easter candy as well!
>
> -sw

All it is is an inert white pigment.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:30:01 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> Better link included:
>>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>> I was eating some Easter candy, reading the ingredients (bad move), and
>>> came across a few ingredients I've never heard of before. This was one
>>> of them:

>> http://tinyurl.com/yzg7mrx
>>
>> Not only is it a cured polyurethane composition containing epoxy
>> resin, but it's also an Easter candy as well!

> All it is is an inert white pigment.

Uhh, I'm pretty sure they're vegetarian!

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:30:01 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>> Better link included:

>>> http://tinyurl.com/yzg7mrx
>>>
>>> Not only is it a cured polyurethane composition containing epoxy
>>> resin, but it's also an Easter candy as well!

>> All it is is an inert white pigment.

> Uhh, I'm pretty sure they're vegetarian!
>
> -sw

I said pigment, not pigmeat. ;-) (or "pig mint", /Mentha sus/)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:30:01 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
>>
>>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>>
>>> All it is is an inert white pigment.

>> Uhh, I'm pretty sure they're vegetarian!

> I said pigment, not pigmeat. ;-) (or "pig mint", /Mentha sus/)

Ahh. I have Freudian vision.

heh.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/25/2010 1:03 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:30:01 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>> Better link included:

>>> http://tinyurl.com/yzg7mrx
>>>
>>> Not only is it a cured polyurethane composition containing epoxy
>>> resin, but it's also an Easter candy as well!

>> All it is is an inert white pigment.

> Uhh, I'm pretty sure they're vegetarian!

It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. The stuff
when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:
> On 3/25/2010 1:03 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> All it is is an inert white pigment.

>> Uhh, I'm pretty sure they're vegetarian!

> It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. The stuff
> when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

There's an additive that makes buttercream whiter that contains the same
stuff.

Factory-made candy will almost always contain "fake" ingredients.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

> On 3/25/2010 1:03 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> >> All it is is an inert white pigment.

> > Uhh, I'm pretty sure they're vegetarian!

> It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. The stuff
> when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

The production process is a little more
complex than that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titaniu...ide#Production
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"J. Clarke" > wrote:

> It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. The stuff
> when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

Titanium dioxide is what I use to make my beeswax white for my egg
decorating. It is very very white.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Angel Food Dessert, March 23, 2010

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/25/2010 9:19 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> "J. > wrote:
>
>> It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. The stuff
>> when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

> Titanium dioxide is what I use to make my beeswax white for my egg
> decorating. It is very very white.

We have a plant here that makes the stuff. They take titanium ore and
treat it with several chemicals and turn out a pure, harmless coloring
agent. They're known as Louisiana Pigments, aka LAPIG. Large payroll,
well-treated employees, very low accident rate. I used to consult with
them on occasion. Pretty nice folks with lots of money tied up in
environmental controls.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 26, 8:15*am, George Shirley > wrote:
> On 3/25/2010 9:19 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:> In >,
> > * "J. > *wrote:

> >> It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. *The stuff
> >> when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

> > Titanium dioxide is what I use to make my beeswax white for my egg
> > decorating. *It is very very white.

> We have a plant here that makes the stuff. They take titanium ore and
> treat it with several chemicals and turn out a pure, harmless coloring
> agent. They're known as Louisiana Pigments, aka LAPIG. Large payroll,
> well-treated employees, very low accident rate. I used to consult with
> them on occasion. Pretty nice folks with lots of money tied up in
> environmental controls.

Ok, so as ethical consumers, we can still eat foods that include this
ingredient.
;-)

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> On 3/25/2010 9:19 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In >,
> > "J. > wrote:
> >
> >> It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. The stuff
> >> when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

> > Titanium dioxide is what I use to make my beeswax white for my egg
> > decorating. It is very very white.
> >

> We have a plant here that makes the stuff. They take titanium ore and
> treat it with several chemicals and turn out a pure, harmless coloring
> agent. They're known as Louisiana Pigments, aka LAPIG. Large payroll,
> well-treated employees, very low accident rate. I used to consult with
> them on occasion. Pretty nice folks with lots of money tied up in
> environmental controls.

Good. Now I know where I can get some powdered pigment. It's hard to
find up here in the art stores.

Angel Food Dessert, March 23, 2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:26:28 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "J. Clarke"
> wrote,
>It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. The stuff
>when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

The first foodstuff I ever saw it in was quarts of non-fat non-dairy
"coffee whitener" cream substitute. Carnation is one brand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke" wrote,

>It's just refined titanium ore, in other words clean dirt. The stuff
>when ground up into a fine dust is very, very, very white.

I don't think anyone wnats to eat titanium ore.
Methinks you mean titanium dioxide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/26/2010 7:41 AM, maxine in ri wrote:
> On Mar 26, 8:15 am, George > wrote:

>>> Titanium dioxide is what I use to make my beeswax white for my egg
>>> decorating. It is very very white.

>> We have a plant here that makes the stuff. They take titanium ore and
>> treat it with several chemicals and turn out a pure, harmless coloring
>> agent. They're known as Louisiana Pigments, aka LAPIG. Large payroll,
>> well-treated employees, very low accident rate. I used to consult with
>> them on occasion. Pretty nice folks with lots of money tied up in
>> environmental controls.

> Ok, so as ethical consumers, we can still eat foods that include this
> ingredient.
> ;-)
>
> maxine in ri

If that's the way you bend it's okay by me. You will find titanium
dioxide in many foods and medications, has been that way for years. It's
also found in most paints.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/26/2010 8:10 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article<sNKdnfE3effOODHWnZ2dnUVZ_qConZ2d@giganews. com>,
> George > wrote:
>
>> On 3/25/2010 9:19 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Titanium dioxide is what I use to make my beeswax white for my egg
>>> decorating. It is very very white.
>>>

>> We have a plant here that makes the stuff. They take titanium ore and
>> treat it with several chemicals and turn out a pure, harmless coloring
>> agent. They're known as Louisiana Pigments, aka LAPIG. Large payroll,
>> well-treated employees, very low accident rate. I used to consult with
>> them on occasion. Pretty nice folks with lots of money tied up in
>> environmental controls.

> Good. Now I know where I can get some powdered pigment. It's hard to
> find up here in the art stores.

How many tons do you want, I get a cut on sales if I recommend a new
customer? It's sold by the hopper car load, got a railroad spur nearby?<G>

Another old customer makes calcium chloride by the ton, used for many
things but I like it for crisping up homemade pickles. Unfortunately
they also sell by the car load. Maybe we can get up a cabal to buy a
carload of each.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/26/2010 9:10 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article<sNKdnfE3effOODHWnZ2dnUVZ_qConZ2d@giganews. com>,
> George > wrote:
>
>> On 3/25/2010 9:19 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Titanium dioxide is what I use to make my beeswax white for my egg
>>> decorating. It is very very white.
>>>

>> We have a plant here that makes the stuff. They take titanium ore and
>> treat it with several chemicals and turn out a pure, harmless coloring
>> agent. They're known as Louisiana Pigments, aka LAPIG. Large payroll,
>> well-treated employees, very low accident rate. I used to consult with
>> them on occasion. Pretty nice folks with lots of money tied up in
>> environmental controls.

> Good. Now I know where I can get some powdered pigment. It's hard to
> find up here in the art stores.

FWIW, Dick Blick will ship to just about anywhere and they've got
titanium white dry pigment for about 13 bucks a pound. They've got two
stores in the Minneapolis area.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 25, 11:37*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> I was eating some Easter candy,

Was is made in China?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:42:40 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Better link included:
>
>Sqwertz wrote:
>> I was eating some Easter candy, reading the ingredients (bad move), and
>> came across a few ingredients I've never heard of before. This was one
>> of them:

>http://tinyurl.com/yzg7mrx
>
> > Not only is it a cured polyurethane composition containing epoxy resin,
> > but it's also an Easter candy as well!

Not quite... the patent in the link is for a plastic that happens to
*contain* titanium dioxide.

To put things in perspective... cornstarch is a thickener for oriental
food, and it's also the starting material for many lick-and-stick
adhesives. Phosphoric acid is the main ingredient in some rust
removers, and it gives Coke its characteristic flavor. Sugar
is...well, it's what we Americans eat too much of, and it makes
cellulosic adhesives more flexible. Calcium carbonate is the major
component of both blackboard chalk and Tums. Collagen is what gives
gravy its delectable texture, and it's the main component of animal
glue.

Lots of materials have both food and non-food uses.
--
Terry

Easter Candy and Treats Tara General Cooking 12 20-04-2014 08:31 PM
Easter Candy Tara General Cooking 3 01-04-2013 05:22 AM
Easter candy George M. Middius[_2_] General Cooking 57 18-04-2012 01:42 AM
Easter Candy Tara General Cooking 5 07-04-2012 08:01 AM
Easter Candy (4) Collection Stephen Stumpf Recipes (moderated) 0 10-04-2007 01:48 AM