Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substituting 2% milk for whole milk.

I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk.
I normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit.
If so how much should I reduce it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 05:09:08 +0000 (UTC), Handy Gandy
> wrote:

> I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk.
> I normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit.
> If so how much should I reduce it?

Use it 1:1. No problem.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 22, 10:09*pm, Handy Gandy > wrote:
> I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk.
> I normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit.
> If so how much should I reduce it?

What's the recipe about? Is it a very old one? Generally you do not
want to boil milk unless you want to denature the proteins. I learned
as a kid that boiling milk would make the hot chocolate taste nasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:25:15 -0700, spamtrap1888 wrote:

> On Mar 22, 10:09Â*pm, Handy Gandy > wrote:
>> I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk. I normally
>> use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit. If so
>> how much should I reduce it?

> What's the recipe about? Is it a very old one? Generally you do not want
> to boil milk unless you want to denature the proteins. I learned as a
> kid that boiling milk would make the hot chocolate taste nasty.

pots de creme, this version the milk is the only creme/milk product.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Handy Gandy > wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:25:15 -0700, spamtrap1888 wrote:
>
> > On Mar 22, 10:09Â*pm, Handy Gandy > wrote:
> >> I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk. I normally
> >> use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit. If so
> >> how much should I reduce it?

> > What's the recipe about? Is it a very old one? Generally you do not want
> > to boil milk unless you want to denature the proteins. I learned as a
> > kid that boiling milk would make the hot chocolate taste nasty.

> pots de creme, this version the milk is the only creme/milk product.

I wouldn't boil it to reduce the volume at all. Maybe add a tablespoon
of butter to increase the richness -- increase the fat in your
reduced-fat milk. JAT.

Have a look at this thread on America's Test Kitchen's discussion board"
http://www.americastestkitchentv.com...?postID=193500
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk.
>I normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit.
>If so how much should I reduce it?

Well, math is your friend. If going from 2% to whole milk -- 100% -- you should
obviously reduce it to 1/50th the volume. That would be approximately one
teaspoon.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 5:53�pm, pltrgyst > wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 05:09:08 +0000 (UTC), Handy Gandy >
> wrote:
>
> >I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk.
> >I normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit..
> >If so how much should I reduce it?

> Well, math is your friend. If going from 2% to whole milk -- 100% -- you should
> obviously reduce it to 1/50th the volume. �That would be approximately one
> teaspoon.
>
> -- Larry

Whole milk is not 100%. The percentage refers to the amount of
butterfat in the milk by weight. If it were 100% you would have
butter. Whole milk is only around 3.5% butterfat by weight.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'd use 2%, but I would not boil it.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pltrgyst wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 05:09:08 +0000 (UTC), Handy Gandy >
> wrote:
>
>> I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk.
>> I normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit.
>> If so how much should I reduce it?

> Well, math is your friend. If going from 2% to whole milk -- 100% -- you should
> obviously reduce it to 1/50th the volume. That would be approximately one
> teaspoon.

Hee! I love it.

ObActualFood: Mortadella, red onions, and tomatoes on potato bread. Yumma.

Serene
--
"I tend to come down on the side of autonomy. Once people are grown up,
I believe they have the right to go to hell in the handbasket of their
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:24:39 -0700, Steve B wrote:

> I'd use 2%, but I would not boil it.
>
> Steve

If you do not boil it how can you be sure the egg is safely cooked?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 04:47:19 +0000 (UTC), Handy Gandy
> wrote:

> > I'd use 2%, but I would not boil it.
> >
> > Steve

> If you do not boil it how can you be sure the egg is safely cooked?

Eggs only need to reach a minimum 160° F and they don't need to stay
at that temperature for any sustained amount of time.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...wers/index.asp

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:58:43 -0700 (PDT), " >
wrote:

>Whole milk is not 100%. The percentage refers to the amount of
>butterfat in the milk by weight. If it were 100% you would have
>butter. Whole milk is only around 3.5% butterfat by weight.

Whooosh!

Oh, AOL. Never mind.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 2:07*am, pltrgyst > wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:58:43 -0700 (PDT), " >
> wrote:
>
> >Whole milk is not 100%. *The percentage refers to the amount of
> >butterfat in the milk by weight. *If it were 100% you would have
> >butter. *Whole milk is only around 3.5% butterfat by weight.

> Whooosh!
>
> Oh, AOL. Never mind.

That's what djs... gets for trying to correct an idiot.

> -- Larry

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 12:09*am, Handy Gandy > wrote:
> I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk.
> I normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit.
> If so how much should I reduce it?

I never have whole milk in the house; I buy whipping cream in small
amounts if I need it for a recipe that calls for whipped cream.

I use skim milk across the board, and it makes no difference at all in
how the recipe comes out.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 1:25*am, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On Mar 22, 10:09*pm, Handy Gandy > wrote:
>
> > I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk.
> > I normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 3:07�am, pltrgyst > wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:58:43 -0700 (PDT), " >
> wrote:
>
> >Whole milk is not 100%. �The percentage refers to the amount of
> >butterfat in the milk by weight. �If it were 100% you would have
> >butter. �Whole milk is only around 3.5% butterfat by weight.

> Whooosh!
>
> Oh, AOL. Never mind.
>
> -- Larry

Listen here jackass. Not everyone is going to realize that you're
joking. Believe it or not someone might actually think you're serious
unless you indicate that you're just being facetious. A person who
has zero experience with cooking might actually think you're being
serious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 10:47*am, PLucas >
wrote:
> Nancy2 > wrote in news:777efb40-c415-4344-b5a9-
> :
>
> > On Mar 23, 12:09*am, Handy Gandy > wrote:
> >> I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk.
> >> I normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit.
> >> If so how much should I reduce it?

> > I never have whole milk in the house; I buy whipping cream in small
> > amounts if I need it for a recipe that calls for whipped cream.

> > I use skim milk across the board, and it makes no difference at all in
> > how the recipe comes out.

> Skim Milk = water with white colouring added.
>
> No offence, Nancy2, but if skim milk is all you use, just give it all away
> and use water. You'll save money.
>
> I regard skim 'milk' as an offence to real milk. They've taken a really good
> product, and turned it into crap.
>
> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..
>
> Edmund Burke.

Whichever PeterL you are - you are entitled to your opinion, which
certainly is not mine, nor is it my experience. For example: If you
make scalloped corn, one cannot tell the difference between skim milk
or whole milk, and you greatly decrease the fat content without
noticeably affecting the taste if you use skim milk.

OTOH, I don't like the taste of cream unless it's flavored whipped
cream. Whole milk makes me gag. I love me my skim milk. And it's
got a lot more nutritional value than water.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Handy Gandy > wrote:

> > I'd use 2%, but I would not boil it.
> >
> > Steve

> If you do not boil it how can you be sure the egg is safely cooked?

Salmonella (assuming that's your concern) is killed at below-boiling
temperatures -- I think it's about 142-146 degrees.

Angel Food Dessert, March 23, 2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote in news:e3183fc7-d89d-45d7-a648-
:

> On Mar 24, 10:47*am, PLucas >
> wrote:

> Whichever PeterL you are

I be the real one.

I'm @home.upstairs.in.brissie.aus

and a bit ticked off...... a rain squall just came through, and I had some
almost dry washing on the line..... and now the sun is shining again...... oh
well, that was the final rinse cycle :-)

> - you are entitled to your opinion,

Thankyou :-)

> which
> certainly is not mine, nor is it my experience. For example: If you
> make scalloped corn, one cannot tell the difference between skim milk
> or whole milk, and you greatly decrease the fat content without
> noticeably affecting the taste if you use skim milk.

I had to Google 'scalloped corn' as till now I'd only ever heard of scalloped
potatos.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Scallop...sLikeThis.aspx

Had a look at a few of them in there, but none use milk. Obviously, your
recipe is a tad different.

I only saw corn, sour cream, butter (lots of butter!!) and packets of corn
muffin mix.

> OTOH, I don't like the taste of cream unless it's flavored whipped
> cream. Whole milk makes me gag.

Hmmmm, strange!! Is it an allergy thing.......... or a bad experience as a
child thing?

As for whipped cream, I did some the other night for an apple pie I made.

Plonked some cream in a bowl, added some vanilla extract, and sifted some
pure icing sugar on top, then used a hand whisk while I was watching a show
on TV.

The SO had got the electric mixer/beater out, but I prefer to do it by hand.

Sometimes it's quicker, and you can 'feel' the cream a lot better.

What do you call "flavoured whipped cream"?

> I love me my skim milk. And it's
> got a lot more nutritional value than water.

No sweat, you can have my share :-)

I've tried it in the past, and to me it's like someone has had a glass of
'real' milk, immediately filled it with water and handed it to me.

I used to drink gallons of the stuff (real milk) when I was a young soldier.
They'd bring a 25lt milk churn out of the fridge, and have a large ladle
hanging off the lip, which I'd then use to fill my cups canteen with icy cold
white gold ;-)

Nowadays I swipe a swig out of the 2lt bottle in the fridge, when the SO
isn't looking :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Scalloped Corn (was Substituting 2% milk for whole milk.)

> I be the real one.
>
> I'm @home.upstairs.in.brissie.aus

I kinda remembered that.

> and a bit ticked off...... a rain squall just came through, and I had some
> almost dry washing on the line..... and now the sun is shining again....... oh
> well, that was the final rinse cycle :-)

That's what I used to say when I hung the clothes out. It's hard when
one is working full-time.

> I had to Google 'scalloped corn' as till now I'd only ever heard of scalloped
> potatos.

The Best Iowa Scalloped Corn

1 can of cream-style corn, not drained
1 can of regular kernel corn, drained (don't save the liquid)
1/2 sm. onion, finely diced
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs, beaten well
2 C. fine cracker crumbs (just plain saltine crackers)
2 C. milk
2 T. parsley flakes
1 T. minced garlic

Topping:

3 T. butter, melted
1/2 C. fine cracker crumbs

Heat the corn, milk, onion and seasonings in a saucepan on the stove
top until hot (not boiling), stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
Quickly stir in the 2 C. milk, mix, and then stir in the cracker
crumbs.

Pour into a 2-quart greased casserole dish and sprinkle the buttered
1/2 C. cracker crumbs on top.

Bake at 350 deg. F. for 30 minutes. Top should be slightly puffed and
lightly browned.

Serve immediately. (Leftovers are really good, too, and it can be
frozen.)

> Had a look at a few of them in there, but none use milk. Obviously, your
> recipe is a tad different.
>
> I only saw corn, sour cream, butter (lots of butter!!) and packets of corn
> muffin mix.

I think the corn muffin mix recipes are an abomination, and as you can
see, there's no butter in mine, nor sour cream (why ruin good Iowa
corn?).

> > OTOH, I don't like the taste of cream unless it's flavored whipped
> > cream. *Whole milk makes me gag. *

> Hmmmm, strange!! Is it an allergy thing.......... or a bad experience as a
> child thing?

I dunno - just don't like the taste of cream.

> As for whipped cream, I did some the other night for an apple pie I made.
>
> Plonked some cream in a bowl, added some vanilla extract, and sifted some
> pure icing sugar on top, then used a hand whisk while I was watching a show
> on TV.
>
> What do you call "flavoured whipped cream"?

What you did - flavored with vanilla, or sprinkled with ginger or
cinnamon, or flavored with brandy or something else.

> > I love me my skim milk. *And it's
> > got a lot more nutritional value than water.

> No sweat, you can have my share :-)

Okey dokey, I'll take it off your hands.

> Nowadays I swipe a swig out of the 2lt bottle in the fridge, when the SO
> isn't looking :-)

I won't tell. ;-)