Eric Edwards

Default Additive to keep homemade gu liquid?

My last attempt consisted of
65g Maltodextrin
15g Dextrose
1/2 cup water
~1 tablespoon of fruit juice

It flowed nicely when hot (necessary to get the maltodextrin to dissolve)
but at room temperature it was too stiff for easy dispensing. Any ideas
on what I could add to keep the slurry liquid?

For the uninitiated, Gu is a commercially available sport food intended
for endurance athletes. Contents are similar to my recipe with the
major exception that pectin is added to turn it into a gel. This works
well in disposable foil packets.

In place of foil packets, I am using a reusable "Gu Flask". This is
essentially a palm sized water bottle with an extra wide sport top.
Despite the name, it actually works better with liquids than gels.
Use of the Gu Flask with commercial Gu is problematic in a similar way
to my issues with my homemade variety.

--
Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org
Roy Basan

(Eric Edwards) wrote in message >...
> My last attempt consisted of
> 65g Maltodextrin
> 15g Dextrose
> 1/2 cup water
> ~1 tablespoon of fruit juice
>
> It flowed nicely when hot (necessary to get the maltodextrin to dissolve)
> but at room temperature it was too stiff for easy dispensing. Any ideas
> on what I could add to keep the slurry liquid?
>
> For the uninitiated, Gu is a commercially available sport food intended
> for endurance athletes. Contents are similar to my recipe with the
> major exception that pectin is added to turn it into a gel. This works
> well in disposable foil packets.
>
> In place of foil packets, I am using a reusable "Gu Flask". This is
> essentially a palm sized water bottle with an extra wide sport top.
> Despite the name, it actually works better with liquids than gels.
> Use of the Gu Flask with commercial Gu is problematic in a similar way
> to my issues with my homemade variety.

Hmmn..... I am just wondering... I hope you don't mind....
Sports beverages are supposed to be electolytically balanced like the
gatorade and powerrade,(in terms of mineral ions) what does malto
dextrin and dextrose have to offer but quick energy.It has nothing to
offer in terms of potassium and sodium ions just like those products
I mentioned.
Does making a mush of malto dextrin and dextrose a big deal for that
so called Gu product?
Anyway if this thing is really interesting to you the way it is, how
about reducing the amount of solutes( malto dextrin and dextrose) in
relation to the liquids( fruit juice and water).
You can also add about 0,1-0.2 percent of xanthan gum to the batch so
that even (if it at room temperature )thickens like ketchup by shaking
it you can still let it flow like that well knnown tomato sauce when
yuo need it.
Or if you prefer to keep formula (original) in that way and sell it as
Gu Porridge in a bottle / high energy shake/ etc...
Another idea for a potential niche item<g>?
Roy
Roy Basan

(Eric Edwards) wrote in message >...
> My last attempt consisted of
> 65g Maltodextrin
> 15g Dextrose
> 1/2 cup water
> ~1 tablespoon of fruit juice
>
> It flowed nicely when hot (necessary to get the maltodextrin to dissolve)
> but at room temperature it was too stiff for easy dispensing. Any ideas
> on what I could add to keep the slurry liquid?
>
> For the uninitiated, Gu is a commercially available sport food intended
> for endurance athletes. Contents are similar to my recipe with the
> major exception that pectin is added to turn it into a gel. This works
> well in disposable foil packets.
>
> In place of foil packets, I am using a reusable "Gu Flask". This is
> essentially a palm sized water bottle with an extra wide sport top.
> Despite the name, it actually works better with liquids than gels.
> Use of the Gu Flask with commercial Gu is problematic in a similar way
> to my issues with my homemade variety.

Hmmn..... I am just wondering... I hope you don't mind....
Sports beverages are supposed to be electolytically balanced like the
gatorade and powerrade,(in terms of mineral ions) what does malto
dextrin and dextrose have to offer but quick energy.It has nothing to
offer in terms of potassium and sodium ions just like those products
I mentioned.
Does making a mush of malto dextrin and dextrose a big deal for that
so called Gu product?
Anyway if this thing is really interesting to you the way it is, how
about reducing the amount of solutes( malto dextrin and dextrose) in
relation to the liquids( fruit juice and water).
You can also add about 0,1-0.2 percent of xanthan gum to the batch so
that even (if it at room temperature )thickens like ketchup by shaking
it you can still let it flow like that well knnown tomato sauce when
yuo need it.
Or if you prefer to keep formula (original) in that way and sell it as
Gu Porridge in a bottle / high energy shake/ etc...
Another idea for a potential niche item<g>?
Roy
JimLane

Eric Edwards wrote:
> My last attempt consisted of
> 65g Maltodextrin
> 15g Dextrose
> 1/2 cup water
> ~1 tablespoon of fruit juice
>
> It flowed nicely when hot (necessary to get the maltodextrin to dissolve)
> but at room temperature it was too stiff for easy dispensing. Any ideas
> on what I could add to keep the slurry liquid?
>
> For the uninitiated, Gu is a commercially available sport food intended
> for endurance athletes. Contents are similar to my recipe with the
> major exception that pectin is added to turn it into a gel. This works
> well in disposable foil packets.
>
> In place of foil packets, I am using a reusable "Gu Flask". This is
> essentially a palm sized water bottle with an extra wide sport top.
> Despite the name, it actually works better with liquids than gels.
> Use of the Gu Flask with commercial Gu is problematic in a similar way
> to my issues with my homemade variety.

A little more water, perhaps. Also, you might want to add a bit of lite
salt that will provide the sodium and potassium that rounds this out.

You can go to http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=152 and find
the health and nutrition forum where this is being discussed.

jim
JimLane

Eric Edwards wrote:
> My last attempt consisted of
> 65g Maltodextrin
> 15g Dextrose
> 1/2 cup water
> ~1 tablespoon of fruit juice
>
> It flowed nicely when hot (necessary to get the maltodextrin to dissolve)
> but at room temperature it was too stiff for easy dispensing. Any ideas
> on what I could add to keep the slurry liquid?
>
> For the uninitiated, Gu is a commercially available sport food intended
> for endurance athletes. Contents are similar to my recipe with the
> major exception that pectin is added to turn it into a gel. This works
> well in disposable foil packets.
>
> In place of foil packets, I am using a reusable "Gu Flask". This is
> essentially a palm sized water bottle with an extra wide sport top.
> Despite the name, it actually works better with liquids than gels.
> Use of the Gu Flask with commercial Gu is problematic in a similar way
> to my issues with my homemade variety.

A little more water, perhaps. Also, you might want to add a bit of lite
salt that will provide the sodium and potassium that rounds this out.

You can go to http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=152 and find
the health and nutrition forum where this is being discussed.

jim

JimLane

Roy Basan wrote:
> (Eric Edwards) wrote in message >...
>
>>My last attempt consisted of
>>65g Maltodextrin
>>15g Dextrose
>>1/2 cup water
>>~1 tablespoon of fruit juice
>>
>>It flowed nicely when hot (necessary to get the maltodextrin to dissolve)
>>but at room temperature it was too stiff for easy dispensing. Any ideas
>>on what I could add to keep the slurry liquid?
>>
>>For the uninitiated, Gu is a commercially available sport food intended
>>for endurance athletes. Contents are similar to my recipe with the
>>major exception that pectin is added to turn it into a gel. This works
>>well in disposable foil packets.
>>
>>In place of foil packets, I am using a reusable "Gu Flask". This is
>>essentially a palm sized water bottle with an extra wide sport top.
>>Despite the name, it actually works better with liquids than gels.
>>Use of the Gu Flask with commercial Gu is problematic in a similar way
>>to my issues with my homemade variety.

> Hmmn..... I am just wondering... I hope you don't mind....
> Sports beverages are supposed to be electolytically balanced like the
> gatorade and powerrade,(in terms of mineral ions) what does malto
> dextrin and dextrose have to offer but quick energy.It has nothing to
> offer in terms of potassium and sodium ions just like those products
> I mentioned.
> Does making a mush of malto dextrin and dextrose a big deal for that
> so called Gu product?
> Anyway if this thing is really interesting to you the way it is, how
> about reducing the amount of solutes( malto dextrin and dextrose) in
> relation to the liquids( fruit juice and water).
> You can also add about 0,1-0.2 percent of xanthan gum to the batch so
> that even (if it at room temperature )thickens like ketchup by shaking
> it you can still let it flow like that well knnown tomato sauce when
> yuo need it.
> Or if you prefer to keep formula (original) in that way and sell it as
> Gu Porridge in a bottle / high energy shake/ etc...
> Another idea for a potential niche item<g>?
> Roy

Maltodextrin burns a lot longer and provides energy over longer time
period. It is not the same as the sugars we are more familiar with.
Dextrose/fructose/sucrose are real fast bursts. You can get more
information at the link I've posted above. I may have misunderstood part
of it, but maltodextrin is a long chain, not simple sugar.

jim
JimLane

Roy Basan wrote:
> (Eric Edwards) wrote in message >...
>
>>My last attempt consisted of
>>65g Maltodextrin
>>15g Dextrose
>>1/2 cup water
>>~1 tablespoon of fruit juice
>>
>>It flowed nicely when hot (necessary to get the maltodextrin to dissolve)
>>but at room temperature it was too stiff for easy dispensing. Any ideas
>>on what I could add to keep the slurry liquid?
>>
>>For the uninitiated, Gu is a commercially available sport food intended
>>for endurance athletes. Contents are similar to my recipe with the
>>major exception that pectin is added to turn it into a gel. This works
>>well in disposable foil packets.
>>
>>In place of foil packets, I am using a reusable "Gu Flask". This is
>>essentially a palm sized water bottle with an extra wide sport top.
>>Despite the name, it actually works better with liquids than gels.
>>Use of the Gu Flask with commercial Gu is problematic in a similar way
>>to my issues with my homemade variety.

> Hmmn..... I am just wondering... I hope you don't mind....
> Sports beverages are supposed to be electolytically balanced like the
> gatorade and powerrade,(in terms of mineral ions) what does malto
> dextrin and dextrose have to offer but quick energy.It has nothing to
> offer in terms of potassium and sodium ions just like those products
> I mentioned.
> Does making a mush of malto dextrin and dextrose a big deal for that
> so called Gu product?
> Anyway if this thing is really interesting to you the way it is, how
> about reducing the amount of solutes( malto dextrin and dextrose) in
> relation to the liquids( fruit juice and water).
> You can also add about 0,1-0.2 percent of xanthan gum to the batch so
> that even (if it at room temperature )thickens like ketchup by shaking
> it you can still let it flow like that well knnown tomato sauce when
> yuo need it.
> Or if you prefer to keep formula (original) in that way and sell it as
> Gu Porridge in a bottle / high energy shake/ etc...
> Another idea for a potential niche item<g>?
> Roy

Maltodextrin burns a lot longer and provides energy over longer time
period. It is not the same as the sugars we are more familiar with.
Dextrose/fructose/sucrose are real fast bursts. You can get more
information at the link I've posted above. I may have misunderstood part
of it, but maltodextrin is a long chain, not simple sugar.

jim
JimLane

Roy Basan wrote:
> (Eric Edwards) wrote in message >...
>
>>My last attempt consisted of
>>65g Maltodextrin
>>15g Dextrose
>>1/2 cup water
>>~1 tablespoon of fruit juice
>>
>>It flowed nicely when hot (necessary to get the maltodextrin to dissolve)
>>but at room temperature it was too stiff for easy dispensing. Any ideas
>>on what I could add to keep the slurry liquid?
>>
>>For the uninitiated, Gu is a commercially available sport food intended
>>for endurance athletes. Contents are similar to my recipe with the
>>major exception that pectin is added to turn it into a gel. This works
>>well in disposable foil packets.
>>
>>In place of foil packets, I am using a reusable "Gu Flask". This is
>>essentially a palm sized water bottle with an extra wide sport top.
>>Despite the name, it actually works better with liquids than gels.
>>Use of the Gu Flask with commercial Gu is problematic in a similar way
>>to my issues with my homemade variety.

> Hmmn..... I am just wondering... I hope you don't mind....
> Sports beverages are supposed to be electolytically balanced like the
> gatorade and powerrade,(in terms of mineral ions) what does malto
> dextrin and dextrose have to offer but quick energy.It has nothing to
> offer in terms of potassium and sodium ions just like those products
> I mentioned.
> Does making a mush of malto dextrin and dextrose a big deal for that
> so called Gu product?
> Anyway if this thing is really interesting to you the way it is, how
> about reducing the amount of solutes( malto dextrin and dextrose) in
> relation to the liquids( fruit juice and water).
> You can also add about 0,1-0.2 percent of xanthan gum to the batch so
> that even (if it at room temperature )thickens like ketchup by shaking
> it you can still let it flow like that well knnown tomato sauce when
> yuo need it.
> Or if you prefer to keep formula (original) in that way and sell it as
> Gu Porridge in a bottle / high energy shake/ etc...
> Another idea for a potential niche item<g>?
> Roy

Went back and got this thread to cut down on searching time. It is one
of several that deal with drinks and/or bars:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=65754

jim
JimLane

Roy Basan wrote:
> (Eric Edwards) wrote in message >...
>
>>My last attempt consisted of
>>65g Maltodextrin
>>15g Dextrose
>>1/2 cup water
>>~1 tablespoon of fruit juice
>>
>>It flowed nicely when hot (necessary to get the maltodextrin to dissolve)
>>but at room temperature it was too stiff for easy dispensing. Any ideas
>>on what I could add to keep the slurry liquid?
>>
>>For the uninitiated, Gu is a commercially available sport food intended
>>for endurance athletes. Contents are similar to my recipe with the
>>major exception that pectin is added to turn it into a gel. This works
>>well in disposable foil packets.
>>
>>In place of foil packets, I am using a reusable "Gu Flask". This is
>>essentially a palm sized water bottle with an extra wide sport top.
>>Despite the name, it actually works better with liquids than gels.
>>Use of the Gu Flask with commercial Gu is problematic in a similar way
>>to my issues with my homemade variety.

> Hmmn..... I am just wondering... I hope you don't mind....
> Sports beverages are supposed to be electolytically balanced like the
> gatorade and powerrade,(in terms of mineral ions) what does malto
> dextrin and dextrose have to offer but quick energy.It has nothing to
> offer in terms of potassium and sodium ions just like those products
> I mentioned.
> Does making a mush of malto dextrin and dextrose a big deal for that
> so called Gu product?
> Anyway if this thing is really interesting to you the way it is, how
> about reducing the amount of solutes( malto dextrin and dextrose) in
> relation to the liquids( fruit juice and water).
> You can also add about 0,1-0.2 percent of xanthan gum to the batch so
> that even (if it at room temperature )thickens like ketchup by shaking
> it you can still let it flow like that well knnown tomato sauce when
> yuo need it.
> Or if you prefer to keep formula (original) in that way and sell it as
> Gu Porridge in a bottle / high energy shake/ etc...
> Another idea for a potential niche item<g>?
> Roy

Went back and got this thread to cut down on searching time. It is one
of several that deal with drinks and/or bars:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=65754

jim
Eric Edwards

On 19 Oct 2004 23:38:15 -0700, Roy Basan > wrote:
>Hmmn..... I am just wondering... I hope you don't mind....
> Sports beverages are supposed to be electolytically balanced like the
>gatorade and powerrade,(in terms of mineral ions) what does malto
>dextrin and dextrose have to offer but quick energy.It has nothing to
>offer in terms of potassium and sodium ions just like those products
>I mentioned.

Correct. Maltodextrin and dextrose are strictly for energy. A sport
drink consisting of only water, salt, and potassium would be just as
effective at maintaining electrolyte balance as any commercially
available cocktail.

>Does making a mush of malto dextrin and dextrose a big deal for that
>so called Gu product?

Sport gels are all about providing fuel in a form that is easily
carried, consumed, and digested.

>Anyway if this thing is really interesting to you the way it is, how
>about reducing the amount of solutes( malto dextrin and dextrose) in
>relation to the liquids( fruit juice and water).

The last recipe already reduced the solute quantity by 25%. The result
was virtually no change in pourability. Very large dilutions will
undoubtedly work but portability is sacrificed.

>You can also add about 0,1-0.2 percent of xanthan gum to the batch so
>that even (if it at room temperature )thickens like ketchup by shaking
>it you can still let it flow like that well knnown tomato sauce when
>yuo need it.

Thanks. I may try that. What xanthian gum actually do?

--
Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org

Eric Edwards

On 19 Oct 2004 23:38:15 -0700, Roy Basan > wrote:
>Hmmn..... I am just wondering... I hope you don't mind....
> Sports beverages are supposed to be electolytically balanced like the
>gatorade and powerrade,(in terms of mineral ions) what does malto
>dextrin and dextrose have to offer but quick energy.It has nothing to
>offer in terms of potassium and sodium ions just like those products
>I mentioned.

Correct. Maltodextrin and dextrose are strictly for energy. A sport
drink consisting of only water, salt, and potassium would be just as
effective at maintaining electrolyte balance as any commercially
available cocktail.

>Does making a mush of malto dextrin and dextrose a big deal for that
>so called Gu product?

Sport gels are all about providing fuel in a form that is easily
carried, consumed, and digested.

>Anyway if this thing is really interesting to you the way it is, how
>about reducing the amount of solutes( malto dextrin and dextrose) in
>relation to the liquids( fruit juice and water).

The last recipe already reduced the solute quantity by 25%. The result
was virtually no change in pourability. Very large dilutions will
undoubtedly work but portability is sacrificed.

>You can also add about 0,1-0.2 percent of xanthan gum to the batch so
>that even (if it at room temperature )thickens like ketchup by shaking
>it you can still let it flow like that well knnown tomato sauce when
>yuo need it.

Thanks. I may try that. What xanthian gum actually do?

--
Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org
Eric Edwards

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 00:13:43 -0700, JimLane > wrote:
>Maltodextrin burns a lot longer and provides energy over longer time
>period. It is not the same as the sugars we are more familiar with.
>Dextrose/fructose/sucrose are real fast bursts. You can get more
>information at the link I've posted above. I may have misunderstood part
>of it, but maltodextrin is a long chain, not simple sugar.

Maltodextrin is a chain of glucose molecules. That makes it technically
a complex carbohydrate. However, it does not have the "slow burn"
quality usually associated with complex carbs. It's
digestion/absorption rate is comparable to glucose (dextrose).

As a sport food, maltodextrin is useful because it is absorbed more
readily than even free glucose. It is also not sweet. By adjusting the
ratio of maltodextrin to glucose, pretty much any sweetness level can be
achieved.

Fructose is actually the slowest of the three sugars you list. It has
to be converted to glycogen by the liver and then converted again to
glucose. The trouble is, body has limited ability to process fructose.
Eat too much at one time and it ferments in the digestive tract.

Sucrose is glucose+fructose bonded together in equal quantities. In a
sport food, the fructose can cause digestive problems.

--
Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org
Eric Edwards