Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sea salt fine grind

"cshenk" > wrote in message ...
| "James Silverton" wrote
| > pavane wrote
|
| >> You should be able to find some at any Oriental food store.
| >> Its common Japanese name is Aji-no-moto, from its largest
| >> packer, but it can also be called Accent, particularly in the
| >> US, and a few less polite terms. It's not really a high worth
| >> seeking out as the headache and nausea are extremely common
| >> symptoms.
| >
| > I use MSG quite liberally, especially since I must eat fat-free cheese,
| > and I have never noticed any ill effects.
| >
| > According to Health Canada,
| > http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit..._qa-qr-eng.php
| >
| > Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is the sodium salt of the naturally occurring
| > amino acid, glutamic acid which makes up 10 to 25 % of all food protein,
|
| (snip)
|
| Grin, yup. I do know some folks are sensitive to higher concentrations of
| it, but it's the vast minority although the odds go up a bit for some ethnic
| groups. If Pavine wishes to believe that all 4 of them at one restraunt
| were MSG intolerant, no amount of facts will talk him out of it.

What is a "vast minority?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

> | Grin, yup. I do know some folks are sensitive to higher concentrations
> of
> | it, but it's the vast minority although the odds go up a bit for some
> ethnic
> | groups. If Pavine wishes to believe that all 4 of them at one restraunt
> | were MSG intolerant, no amount of facts will talk him out of it.
>
> What is a "vast minority?"

If my area's southern wordig confuses you, remove the 'vast' and read it
again. 'Vast Minority' means a really really itty bitty small minority.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message ...
| "pavane" wrote
|
| > You should be able to find some at any Oriental food store. Its common
| > Japanese name is Aji-no-moto, from its largest packer, but it can also be
| > called Accent, particularly in the US, and a few less polite terms. It's
| > not
| > really a high worth seeking out as the headache and nausea are extremely
| > common symptoms.
|
| Np Pavine, they are not 'extremely common symptoms'. They are rare. Else
| it wouldnt be on the market at all. *You* just happen to be sensitive to it
| is all.

Why would I care if that weren't the case? But you can't say that I am alone in
this, can you? An awful lot on the Internet going in both directions on this
issue.

pavane (pav_a_ne)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message ...
| "pavane" wrote
| > "cshenk" wrote
|
| > | Grin, yup. I do know some folks are sensitive to higher concentrations
| > of
| > | it, but it's the vast minority although the odds go up a bit for some
| > ethnic
| > | groups. If Pavine wishes to believe that all 4 of them at one restraunt
| > | were MSG intolerant, no amount of facts will talk him out of it.
| >
| > What is a "vast minority?"
|
| If my area's southern wordig confuses you, remove the 'vast' and read it
| again. 'Vast Minority' means a really really itty bitty small minority.

Sorry, I'm in the South also. I thought that vast minority meant a large
minority, but it really doesn't matter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

> concentrations
> | > of
> some
> | > ethnic
> restraunt
> | >
> | > What is a "vast minority?"
> |
> | If my area's southern wordig confuses you, remove the 'vast' and read it
> | again. 'Vast Minority' means a really really itty bitty small minority.
>
> Sorry, I'm in the South also. I thought that vast minority meant a large
> minority, but it really doesn't matter.

Technically you are right on the translation of the wording. My area is
wierd and i only noticed it when you questioned it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

> | Np Pavine, they are not 'extremely common symptoms'. They are rare.
> Else
> | it wouldnt be on the market at all. *You* just happen to be sensitive
> to it
> | is all.
>
> Why would I care if that weren't the case? But you can't say that I am
> alone in
> this, can you? An awful lot on the Internet going in both directions on
> this
> issue.

It's one of those almost fad things. A small segment do react to it but
they are rare enough no one even noticed it until the fad kicked in. Now
it's some sort of bugaboo item. Someone gets food poisoning and now claims
it's MSG. If you and 3 buddies all got sick the same way at the same time
on the same day at the same place, it's not MSG. It's something wrong with
the food that day and should have been reported. Some food that wasnt
refridgerated correctly or recycled from last days food in an improperly
heated steam table.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>> | Yup...and only fools buy "sea salt" anyways...in fact the term "sea
>> salt" is
>> | ridiculous as *all* salt is "sea salt", it's one of those silly terms a
>> la'
>> | "shrimp scampi".
>>
>> Yeah. You'd better send an email out to Mayo Clinic correcting their
>> website. It's www.mayoclinic.com and just give them your credentials
>> and ask them to correct the article.:
>> http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142
>>
>> "Sea salt is produced through evaporation of seawater..."
>> "Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits..."

> There was a little more to that article. It said that sea salt is less
> refined and has trace elements. It also said that table salt has additives
> to prevent clumping. It also often has iodine added. FWIW, in Canada, all
> table salt is iodized.

IIRC in the UK as well to prevent goitre.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 12:14:54 -0500, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
> > oh for god's sake. genuine msg allergies are actually pretty rare.

> Not if you have one

How's that?

Brian

--
Day 370 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

>>> Yeah. You'd better send an email out to Mayo Clinic correcting their
>>> website. It's www.mayoclinic.com and just give them your credentials
>>> and ask them to correct the article.:
>>> http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142
>>>
>>> "Sea salt is produced through evaporation of seawater..."
>>> "Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits..."

>> There was a little more to that article. It said that sea salt is less
>> refined and has trace elements. It also said that table salt has additives
>> to prevent clumping. It also often has iodine added. FWIW, in Canada, all
>> table salt is iodized.
>>

> IIRC in the UK as well to prevent goitre.
> Graham

My wacko health food freak ex SiL used to insist that sea salt was
better because it was saltier. She changed her stance when her daughter
developed a goiter. Now she uses iodized salt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind without
> using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making fried rice
> with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.
>
> Thank you in advance ...

Mortar and pestle/suribachi or the food processor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

> wrote:
> > Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind without
> > using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making fried rice
> > with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.
> >
> > Thank you in advance ...

> If you want to make something finer there are many ways to do it--my Dad,
> who learned to cook in the Pacific during WWII, used to wrap whatever it was
> in a towel and pound on it with a hammer. A coffee grinder (the little
> whirlygig kind) does fine as a spice grinder. A mortar and pestle will do
> the job. Or a food processor or a blender (glass jar only--spices will do a
> number on a plastic jar as I found out the hard way).
>
> That said, why would you want to make fried rice with sea salt? Soy sauce
> is a standard component and it is generally adequately salty.

The main complaint my Chinese friends have about Westerners attempting
Chinese cooking is the *overuse* of soy sauce. Fried rice (or noodles)
shouldn't be brown. Use a *little* soy and finish the salting with salt.
The OP is trying to do the correct thing.

> Fried rice isn't rocket science you know--throw some leftover rice and more
> or less pea-sized chunks of anything else that you like that's fryable in a
> hot skillet with some oil and stir until it's all hot and anything that
> needs to be cooked through is cooked, stir in an egg or two at the end if
> you like, and you're done. Forget the fancy recipes and learn to do it by
> the seat of your pants and you'll enjoy it more. Ordinary table salt works
> fine if you need it, but soy sauce generally puts as much salt into it as I
> want.

Then you might be using too much soy sauce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:
> "J. Clarke" wrote:
>>
>> wrote:
>>> Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind
>>> without using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making
>>> fried rice with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance ...

>> If you want to make something finer there are many ways to do it--my
>> Dad, who learned to cook in the Pacific during WWII, used to wrap
>> whatever it was in a towel and pound on it with a hammer. A coffee
>> grinder (the little whirlygig kind) does fine as a spice grinder. A
>> mortar and pestle will do the job. Or a food processor or a blender
>> (glass jar only--spices will do a number on a plastic jar as I found
>> out the hard way).
>>
>> That said, why would you want to make fried rice with sea salt? Soy
>> sauce is a standard component and it is generally adequately salty.

> The main complaint my Chinese friends have about Westerners attempting
> Chinese cooking is the *overuse* of soy sauce. Fried rice (or noodles)
> shouldn't be brown. Use a *little* soy and finish the salting with
> salt. The OP is trying to do the correct thing.
>

>> Fried rice isn't rocket science you know--throw some leftover rice
>> and more or less pea-sized chunks of anything else that you like
>> that's fryable in a hot skillet with some oil and stir until it's
>> all hot and anything that needs to be cooked through is cooked, stir
>> in an egg or two at the end if you like, and you're done. Forget
>> the fancy recipes and learn to do it by the seat of your pants and
>> you'll enjoy it more. Ordinary table salt works fine if you need
>> it, but soy sauce generally puts as much salt into it as I want.

> Then you might be using too much soy sauce

You're putting far too much effort into some theoretical "correctness".
Fried rice is a bunch of leftovers thrown into a wok.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 13:06:04 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Buy a fine grind sea salt. I buy this:
>>
>> http://www.saltworks.us/shop/product.asp?idProduct=63
>>
>> Cost Plus World Market also has a similar house brand from Spain.

> I just buy Morton Sea Salt from the grocery store. It's right next to
> the regular salt and is already fine granulated.

I'd never seen Morton Sea Salt, but I would bet it's what Cost Plus
is selling under it's own brand name.

http://mortonsalt.com/products/foodsalts/Sea_Salt.htm

Same container. Same exact size/weight. Twice the price.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind without
> using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making fried rice
> with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.
>
> Thank you in advance ...

blender

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 14:52:06 -0500, cshenk wrote:

> "Dave Smith" wrote
>> cshenk wrote:

>>> You must be MSG sensitive eh? Sheldon and I aren't. He's right that a
>>> pinch of MSG can work wonders. It also due to it's natural flavor shift,
>>> tends to make it easy to use less salt in a dish. Yes, it has sodium but
>>> at a smaller percentage than table salt.

>> I must be MSG sensitive too. That stuff does nasty things to me. Many
>> years ago I was working with a crew of guys who all loved Chinese food, so
>> we used to go to a local Chinese restaurant once or twice a week. We
>> discovered another one nearby that had a Thursday night special, a combo
>> plate for $4.25. There was a race to get back to our facility and a line
>> up of 4 guys desperate to use the toilet.

> A one time meal? Seems more like food poisoning there! Anyways, my
> impression was MSG sensitivity causes headaches which can grow to migranes?

i haven't heard of it causing gastric distress, either. headaches, as you
say, or a spaced-out feeling.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 13:36:13 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
>>
>> A one time meal? Seems more like food poisoning there! Anyways, my
>> impression was MSG sensitivity causes headaches which can grow to migranes?

> That's what I used to think caused my headaches.
> I'd eat at a Chinese restaurant, then maybe an hour
> later I'd get a splitting headache. It wasn't until
> I was over 40 that I discovered it was tofu that gave
> me those headaches. One tablespoon of tofu is enough
> to give me a mild headache. More than that give me a
> big one.
>
> Beans alone can do that too, but I have to eat maybe
> half a pound of Chinese long beans to get a headache.

that seems odd. do 'regular' green beans affect you?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

well, remember that pavane said:

> Poison your acquaintances and destroy your friends. Nothing like
> good ole MSG to spark a lively conversation at wakes, funerals,
> and other obsequies. Invite your favorite allergist or bring a fresh
> bottle of Benadryl. Enjoy.

i don't think m.s.g. is killing even the people who are sensitive to it.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 16:33:31 -0700, graham wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>
>> There was a little more to that article. It said that sea salt is less
>> refined and has trace elements. It also said that table salt has additives
>> to prevent clumping. It also often has iodine added. FWIW, in Canada, all
>> table salt is iodized.
>>

> IIRC in the UK as well to prevent goitre.
> Graham

u.s.a. too. in fact, it may have started here, due to inland areas with
not much access to seafood.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodised_salt#In_public_health_initiatives>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 19:23:02 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> There was a little more to that article. It said that sea salt is less
>>> refined and has trace elements. It also said that table salt has additives
>>> to prevent clumping. It also often has iodine added. FWIW, in Canada, all
>>> table salt is iodized.
>>>

>> IIRC in the UK as well to prevent goitre.
>> Graham

> My wacko health food freak ex SiL used to insist that sea salt was
> better because it was saltier. She changed her stance when her daughter
> developed a goiter. Now she uses iodized salt.

it's unchristian of me, but...

<snort>

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 19:17:36 -0700, Arri London wrote:

> "J. Clarke" wrote:
>>
>> wrote:
>>> Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind without
>>> using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making fried rice
>>> with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance ...

>> If you want to make something finer there are many ways to do it--my Dad,
>> who learned to cook in the Pacific during WWII, used to wrap whatever it was
>> in a towel and pound on it with a hammer. A coffee grinder (the little
>> whirlygig kind) does fine as a spice grinder. A mortar and pestle will do
>> the job. Or a food processor or a blender (glass jar only--spices will do a
>> number on a plastic jar as I found out the hard way).
>>
>> That said, why would you want to make fried rice with sea salt? Soy sauce
>> is a standard component and it is generally adequately salty.

> The main complaint my Chinese friends have about Westerners attempting
> Chinese cooking is the *overuse* of soy sauce. Fried rice (or noodles)
> shouldn't be brown. Use a *little* soy and finish the salting with salt.
> The OP is trying to do the correct thing.

i've never read or heard any chinese cooks saying such a thing (using salt
to finish, not overuse of soy). a small amount of salt, usually at the
beginning of the cooking process or (rarely) in the marinade, sure.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

> Arri London wrote:

> >> If you want to make something finer there are many ways to do it--my
> >> Dad, who learned to cook in the Pacific during WWII, used to wrap
> >> whatever it was in a towel and pound on it with a hammer. A coffee
> >> grinder (the little whirlygig kind) does fine as a spice grinder. A
> >> mortar and pestle will do the job. Or a food processor or a blender
> >> (glass jar only--spices will do a number on a plastic jar as I found
> >> out the hard way).
> >>
> >> That said, why would you want to make fried rice with sea salt? Soy
> >> sauce is a standard component and it is generally adequately salty.

> > The main complaint my Chinese friends have about Westerners attempting
> > Chinese cooking is the *overuse* of soy sauce. Fried rice (or noodles)
> > shouldn't be brown. Use a *little* soy and finish the salting with
> > salt. The OP is trying to do the correct thing.
> >

> >> Fried rice isn't rocket science you know--throw some leftover rice
> >> and more or less pea-sized chunks of anything else that you like
> >> that's fryable in a hot skillet with some oil and stir until it's
> >> all hot and anything that needs to be cooked through is cooked, stir
> >> in an egg or two at the end if you like, and you're done. Forget
> >> the fancy recipes and learn to do it by the seat of your pants and
> >> you'll enjoy it more. Ordinary table salt works fine if you need
> >> it, but soy sauce generally puts as much salt into it as I want.

> > Then you might be using too much soy sauce

> You're putting far too much effort into some theoretical "correctness".
> Fried rice is a bunch of leftovers thrown into a wok.

I'm not putting any effort into this at all. But the overuse of soy
sauce by Westerners does tend to ruin a lot of otherwise good
Chinese-type dishes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 19:17:36 -0700, Arri London wrote:

> >> If you want to make something finer there are many ways to do it--my Dad,
> >> who learned to cook in the Pacific during WWII, used to wrap whatever it was
> >> in a towel and pound on it with a hammer. A coffee grinder (the little
> >> whirlygig kind) does fine as a spice grinder. A mortar and pestle will do
> >> the job. Or a food processor or a blender (glass jar only--spices will do a
> >> number on a plastic jar as I found out the hard way).
> >>
> >> That said, why would you want to make fried rice with sea salt? Soy sauce
> >> is a standard component and it is generally adequately salty.

> > The main complaint my Chinese friends have about Westerners attempting
> > Chinese cooking is the *overuse* of soy sauce. Fried rice (or noodles)
> > shouldn't be brown. Use a *little* soy and finish the salting with salt.
> > The OP is trying to do the correct thing.
> >

> i've never read or heard any chinese cooks saying such a thing (using salt
> to finish, not overuse of soy). a small amount of salt, usually at the
> beginning of the cooking process or (rarely) in the marinade, sure.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Your experience of Chinese cooks is different than mine, as always
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 14:52:06 -0500, cshenk wrote:

> >> I must be MSG sensitive too. That stuff does nasty things to me. Many
> >> years ago I was working with a crew of guys who all loved Chinese food, so
> >> we used to go to a local Chinese restaurant once or twice a week. We
> >> discovered another one nearby that had a Thursday night special, a combo
> >> plate for $4.25. There was a race to get back to our facility and a line
> >> up of 4 guys desperate to use the toilet.

> > A one time meal? Seems more like food poisoning there! Anyways, my
> > impression was MSG sensitivity causes headaches which can grow to migranes?

> i haven't heard of it causing gastric distress, either. headaches, as you
> say, or a spaced-out feeling.
>
> your pal,
> blake

A very specific crushing headache that feels as though a band has been
tightened around the head. Other symptoms differ with the person
experiencing the reaction. BTDT and got taken by surprise when it
happened the first time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:
> "J. Clarke" wrote:
>>
>> Arri London wrote:

>>> The main complaint my Chinese friends have about Westerners
>>> attempting Chinese cooking is the *overuse* of soy sauce. Fried
>>> rice (or noodles) shouldn't be brown. Use a *little* soy and finish
>>> the salting with salt. The OP is trying to do the correct thing.

>>> Then you might be using too much soy sauce

>> You're putting far too much effort into some theoretical
>> "correctness". Fried rice is a bunch of leftovers thrown into a wok.

> I'm not putting any effort into this at all. But the overuse of soy
> sauce by Westerners does tend to ruin a lot of otherwise good
> Chinese-type dishes.

For certain values of "ruin".

In any case, the rice should start out properly salted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:00:46 -0500, pavane wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
> .. .
>| On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 12:46:40 -0600, Stu wrote:
>|
>|> On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 12:14:54 -0500, blake murphy

>|> Not if you have one
>|
>| well, remember that pavane said:
>|
>|> Poison your acquaintances and destroy your friends. Nothing like
>|> good ole MSG to spark a lively conversation at wakes, funerals,
>|> and other obsequies. Invite your favorite allergist or bring a fresh
>|> bottle of Benadryl. Enjoy.
>|
>| i don't think m.s.g. is killing even the people who are sensitive to it.
>
> As I recall there are times in which pavane is somewhat exaggerative.
>
> pavane

i'll keep that in mind.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 18:05:03 -0700, Arri London wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 14:52:06 -0500, cshenk wrote:
>>
>>> "Dave Smith" wrote

>>> A one time meal? Seems more like food poisoning there! Anyways, my
>>> impression was MSG sensitivity causes headaches which can grow to migranes?

>> i haven't heard of it causing gastric distress, either. headaches, as you
>> say, or a spaced-out feeling.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> A very specific crushing headache that feels as though a band has been
> tightened around the head. Other symptoms differ with the person
> experiencing the reaction. BTDT and got taken by surprise when it
> happened the first time.

that's unfortunate. m.s.g. can be difficult to avoid, or at least takes
some effort.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 18:05:03 -0700, Arri London wrote:
>
> > blake murphy wrote:

> >> i haven't heard of it causing gastric distress, either. headaches, as you
> >> say, or a spaced-out feeling.
> >>
> >> your pal,
> >> blake

> > A very specific crushing headache that feels as though a band has been
> > tightened around the head. Other symptoms differ with the person
> > experiencing the reaction. BTDT and got taken by surprise when it
> > happened the first time.

> that's unfortunate. m.s.g. can be difficult to avoid, or at least takes
> some effort.
>
> your pal,
> blake

What surprised me was that the restaurant specifically stated 'No MSG
added'; we chose it for *someone else's* comfort. Up to that point had
never had that characteristic reaction. Turned out that the dish in
question had been seasoned with a 'seasoning powder' which contained
MSG. The restaurant didn't use MSG by the spoonful. It's dosage-related
for me. A splash of soy sauce or fish sauce doesn't bother me. Other
people are sensitive to very low doses.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message ...

| What surprised me was that the restaurant specifically stated 'No MSG
| added'; we chose it for *someone else's* comfort. Up to that point had
| never had that characteristic reaction. Turned out that the dish in
| question had been seasoned with a 'seasoning powder' which contained
| MSG. The restaurant didn't use MSG by the spoonful. It's dosage-related
| for me. A splash of soy sauce or fish sauce doesn't bother me. Other
| people are sensitive to very low doses.

New Yorker magazine had a marvelous cartoon years ago which showed
the cashier's stand at a Chinese restaurant with a befuddled person
looking at it. Prominently displayed over the cash register was a sign
saying: "Upon request the chef will pretend not to use MSG."

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 21:51:45 -0500, pavane wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message ...

>| What surprised me was that the restaurant specifically stated 'No MSG
>| added'; we chose it for *someone else's* comfort. Up to that point had
>| never had that characteristic reaction. Turned out that the dish in
>| question had been seasoned with a 'seasoning powder' which contained
>| MSG. The restaurant didn't use MSG by the spoonful. It's dosage-related
>| for me. A splash of soy sauce or fish sauce doesn't bother me. Other
>| people are sensitive to very low doses.
>
> New Yorker magazine had a marvelous cartoon years ago which showed
> the cashier's stand at a Chinese restaurant with a befuddled person
> looking at it. Prominently displayed over the cash register was a sign
> saying: "Upon request the chef will pretend not to use MSG."
>
> pavane

<snort>

your pal,
blake