Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food for a long flight

I'm going to be flying across the country soon. It's been
about 10 years since the last time I flew, so I haven't
experienced the "security theater".

I've read the TSA rules, and it appears that I can carry
a quart-size transparent bag stuffed with airline bottles
of liquor. Not nearly enough for such a long flight,
but it'll have to do.

I don't see any restrictions on carrying food, just liquids,
gels, and various types of weapons.

What do you carry by way of food for a long flight?
What have you tried to carry, but was confiscated?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 3, 1:03*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> I'm going to be flying across the country soon. *It's been
> about 10 years since the last time I flew, so I haven't
> experienced the "security theater".
>
> I've read the TSA rules, and it appears that I can carry
> a quart-size transparent bag stuffed with airline bottles
> of liquor. *Not nearly enough for such a long flight,
> but it'll have to do.
>
> I don't see any restrictions on carrying food, just liquids,
> gels, and various types of weapons.
>
> What do you carry by way of food for a long flight?
> What have you tried to carry, but was confiscated?

TSA guidelines are pretty basic:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1667.shtm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 3, 1:03*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> I'm going to be flying across the country soon. *It's been
> about 10 years since the last time I flew, so I haven't
> experienced the "security theater".
>
> I've read the TSA rules, and it appears that I can carry
> a quart-size transparent bag stuffed with airline bottles
> of liquor. *Not nearly enough for such a long flight,
> but it'll have to do.
>
> I don't see any restrictions on carrying food, just liquids,
> gels, and various types of weapons.
>
> What do you carry by way of food for a long flight?
> What have you tried to carry, but was confiscated?

Can't bring your own booze.

Effective Tuesday, September 26, TSA Adjusted The Ban On Liquids,
Aerosols And Gels

Travelers may now carry through security checkpoints travel-size
toiletries (3 ounces or less) that fit comfortably in ONE, QUART-SIZE,
clear plastic, zip-top bag. Learn More

After clearing security, travelers can now bring beverages and other
items purchased in the secure boarding area on-board aircraft.

There is no restriction on the amount of baby formula, breast milk, or
medicines you can bring, but they must be declared and presented for
inspection at the checkpoint.

As for food...it all has to be wrapped.

I flew to Peurta Vallerta in November from Seattle and the prepacked
food served on board wasn't too bad but I wished I'd brought some of
my own. Airline drinks are pretty spendy. $6 for a bottle of Alaskan
Amber.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> I'm going to be flying across the country soon. It's been
> about 10 years since the last time I flew, so I haven't
> experienced the "security theater".
>
> I've read the TSA rules, and it appears that I can carry
> a quart-size transparent bag stuffed with airline bottles
> of liquor. Not nearly enough for such a long flight,
> but it'll have to do.
>
> I don't see any restrictions on carrying food, just liquids,
> gels, and various types of weapons.
>
> What do you carry by way of food for a long flight?
> What have you tried to carry, but was confiscated?

For liquor, check the airline policies as they likely prohibit it, not
TSA.

For food, I expect most x-ray able food will probably be allowed, but
watch out for packets of condiments and the like.

Really, that's not that long a flight, and a bag of jerky, some
crackers, and a sandwich and drink purchased from inside the secure area
should do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote in :

> I'm going to be flying across the country soon. It's been
> about 10 years since the last time I flew, so I haven't
> experienced the "security theater".
>
> I've read the TSA rules, and it appears that I can carry
> a quart-size transparent bag stuffed with airline bottles
> of liquor. Not nearly enough for such a long flight,
> but it'll have to do.
>
> I don't see any restrictions on carrying food, just liquids,
> gels, and various types of weapons.
>
> What do you carry by way of food for a long flight?
> What have you tried to carry, but was confiscated?

Easiest way is eat before you get on the flight, but not at the airport...
most airport food (with the exception of Changi) is quite basic and
pricey.... well here in Australia it is.

Changi airport was like a breath of fresh air..... restaurants galore.

As for booze, I'm pretty sure most airlines won't let you take your own on
board.

If you're just flying cross country, it's really not that long. If you
were going to Australia ..... yeah, maybe, but they have great food on
most international flights, and the booze is free.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/3/2010 4:03 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> I'm going to be flying across the country soon. It's been
> about 10 years since the last time I flew, so I haven't
> experienced the "security theater".
>
> I've read the TSA rules, and it appears that I can carry
> a quart-size transparent bag stuffed with airline bottles
> of liquor. Not nearly enough for such a long flight,
> but it'll have to do.
>
> I don't see any restrictions on carrying food, just liquids,
> gels, and various types of weapons.
>
> What do you carry by way of food for a long flight?
> What have you tried to carry, but was confiscated?

Unless you have some special dietary requirements that isn't much of a
flight. I just bring some peanut butter crackers and almost never eat
them in flight.

You can't bring booze in the quart plastic bag. It is for personal
hygiene items. The usual thing is they love to hassle the crap out of
folks who will bring a rolled up partially used toothpaste tube. The
government worker will then hold the bag up in the air and exclaim that
the rule is for a 3 oz tube not a 8oz or whatever the fully filled tube
might be...

Typically you see a few folks who will bring on a sandwich/personal
pizza/etc they buy in the secure area.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete wrote on Wed, 03 Feb 2010 15:32:26 -0600:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>>
>> I'm going to be flying across the country soon. It's been
>> about 10 years since the last time I flew, so I haven't
>> experienced the "security theater".
>>
>> I've read the TSA rules, and it appears that I can carry
>> a quart-size transparent bag stuffed with airline bottles
>> of liquor. Not nearly enough for such a long flight,
>> but it'll have to do.
>>
>> I don't see any restrictions on carrying food, just liquids,
>> gels, and various types of weapons.
>>
>> What do you carry by way of food for a long flight?
>> What have you tried to carry, but was confiscated?

> For liquor, check the airline policies as they likely prohibit
> it, not TSA.

> For food, I expect most x-ray able food will probably be
> allowed, but watch out for packets of condiments and the like.

If the airline sells meals, they are usually inedible to me. I've not
had any trouble with carrying a good sized sandwich, like chicken or
roast beef with sliced tomato etc.on a baguette or rye bread and I
usually have a few packets of salt and pepper in my carryon bag. This
suffices for trips from DC to San Francisco. I usually freeze the
sandwich, wrapped in aluminum foil, and let it defrost in the bag. I
will bring myself to buy a bottle of beer on the plane or even wine if
all they have is things like Budsqueezer.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:

> For liquor, check the airline policies as they likely prohibit it, not
> TSA.

Very good advice. I'm flying Southwest, and they allow it!

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/alcohol.html

The bag full of airline bottles is allowed!
There a limit of 140 proof.

> Really, that's not that long a flight, and a bag of jerky, some
> crackers, and a sandwich and drink purchased from inside the secure area
> should do.

It's about 8 hours. That's pretty long
to be without comfort.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote in :

> "Pete C." wrote:
>>
>> For liquor, check the airline policies as they likely prohibit it, not
>> TSA.

> Very good advice. I'm flying Southwest, and they allow it!
>
> http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/alcohol.html
>
> The bag full of airline bottles is allowed!
> There a limit of 140 proof.

It sounds like you want to consume the alcohol on board, right?

The rules say it's OK to transport up to 5lt of booze, but nothing about
drinking it in flight.

>> Really, that's not that long a flight, and a bag of jerky, some
>> crackers, and a sandwich and drink purchased from inside the secure

area
>> should do.

> It's about 8 hours. That's pretty long
> to be without comfort.

LOL!!! Unless you fly business or 1st class, there is no comfort anyway!!

I've watched quite a few "Airline USA" shows where Southwest was the main
'player'.... enough to make me think twice before ever choosing them
if/when I ever fly inter-USA.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> "Pete C." wrote:
>> For liquor, check the airline policies as they likely prohibit it, not
>> TSA.

> Very good advice. I'm flying Southwest, and they allow it!
>
> http://www..csouthwestom/travel_center/alcohol.html
>
> The bag full of airline bottles is allowed!
> There a limit of 140 proof.

Most of the cited items are listed as "check-through baggage", not
carry-on. They do mention "transported in" but do not define that as
carry-on specifically.

Be aware that there's a difference between what airlines might allow
you to bring on board and what TSA allows you to take through security.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> "Pete C." wrote:
>>
>> For liquor, check the airline policies as they likely prohibit it,
>> not TSA.

> Very good advice. I'm flying Southwest, and they allow it!
>
> http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/alcohol.html
>
> The bag full of airline bottles is allowed!
> There a limit of 140 proof.
>
>> Really, that's not that long a flight, and a bag of jerky, some
>> crackers, and a sandwich and drink purchased from inside the secure
>> area should do.

> It's about 8 hours. That's pretty long
> to be without comfort.

Yikes. My flight to San Diego wasn't much more than 5. It's
about as far as you can get, from the northeast to the southwest.
Does the flight time account for the time change?

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> "Pete C." wrote:
> >
> > For liquor, check the airline policies as they likely prohibit it, not
> > TSA.

> Very good advice. I'm flying Southwest, and they allow it!
>
> http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/alcohol.html
>
> The bag full of airline bottles is allowed!
> There a limit of 140 proof.
>
> > Really, that's not that long a flight, and a bag of jerky, some
> > crackers, and a sandwich and drink purchased from inside the secure area
> > should do.

> It's about 8 hours. That's pretty long
> to be without comfort.

8hrs is nothing. Try DFW-IAD, IAD-JFK, JFK-CAI, that's a tiring day.
Fortunately I don't drink much, since Egypt Air doesn't sell alcohol.
They do have decent food however.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> You can't bring booze in the quart plastic bag. It is for personal
> hygiene items. The usual thing is they love to hassle the crap out of
> folks who will bring a rolled up partially used toothpaste tube. The
> government worker will then hold the bag up in the air and exclaim that
> the rule is for a 3 oz tube not a 8oz or whatever the fully filled tube
> might be...

I read it more closely. You're right, they only allow
it in checked baggage. Darn!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> hygiene items. The usual thing is they love to hassle the crap out of
> folks who will bring a rolled up partially used toothpaste tube. The
> government worker will then hold the bag up in the air and exclaim
> that the rule is for a 3 oz tube not a 8oz or whatever the fully
> filled tube might be...

I couldn't believe I made such a lame mistake, I had a tube of
sunscreen in my carry on once. She looked at it, thought about
it, let me keep it. She didn't ask or I would have told her Toss it.
I was wrong to have it even if it only contained very little product.

> Typically you see a few folks who will bring on a sandwich/personal
> pizza/etc they buy in the secure area.

I carry those cheese crackers in case I get that hungry feeling.
And I buy a bottle of water in the terminal.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
On Feb 3, 1:03 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> I'm going to be flying across the country soon. It's been
> about 10 years since the last time I flew, so I haven't
> experienced the "security theater".
>
> I've read the TSA rules, and it appears that I can carry
> a quart-size transparent bag stuffed with airline bottles
> of liquor. Not nearly enough for such a long flight,
> but it'll have to do.
>
> I don't see any restrictions on carrying food, just liquids,
> gels, and various types of weapons.
>
> What do you carry by way of food for a long flight?
> What have you tried to carry, but was confiscated?

Can't bring your own booze.
**********************
FFS the word is take, not bring!

Argus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL1 wrote:

> If you're just flying cross country, it's really not that long. If you
> were going to Australia ..... yeah, maybe, but they have great food on
> most international flights, and the booze is free.

No free booze on Continental.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL1 wrote:
> Mark Thorson > wrote in :
>
>> "Pete C." wrote:
>>> For liquor, check the airline policies as they likely prohibit it, not
>>> TSA.

>> Very good advice. I'm flying Southwest, and they allow it!
>>
>> http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/alcohol.html
>>
>> The bag full of airline bottles is allowed!
>> There a limit of 140 proof.

> It sounds like you want to consume the alcohol on board, right?
>
> The rules say it's OK to transport up to 5lt of booze, but nothing about
> drinking it in flight.
>

>>> Really, that's not that long a flight, and a bag of jerky, some
>>> crackers, and a sandwich and drink purchased from inside the secure

> area
>>> should do.

>> It's about 8 hours. That's pretty long
>> to be without comfort.
>>

> LOL!!! Unless you fly business or 1st class, there is no comfort anyway!!
>
> I've watched quite a few "Airline USA" shows where Southwest was the main
> 'player'.... enough to make me think twice before ever choosing them
> if/when I ever fly inter-USA.

I have two choices of airlines when I fly to visit my kids in New
Jersey. Continental and Southwest. I can, personally, assure you that
the Southwest flights are more comfortable, more likely to be on time
and less likely to lose luggage. Their cabin crew are infinitely more
polite and friendly than the UN-friendly skies of Continental.

I flew for business for many years and even in the 80's and early 90's
Continental had the nastiest cabin personnel in the air.

I think United is probably the best of the bigger airlines, but they
don't get there from here. BTW, United will give you free wine and beer
on international flights.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote:

>PeterL1 wrote:

>> If you're just flying cross country, it's really not that long. If you
>> were going to Australia ..... yeah, maybe, but they have great food on
>> most international flights, and the booze is free.

>No free booze on Continental.

Nor United, for the past several years.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Yikes. My flight to San Diego wasn't much more than 5. It's
> about as far as you can get, from the northeast to the southwest.
> Does the flight time account for the time change?

There's going to be two stops. I don't think I have to change
planes. Southwest only flies the 737, to simplify logistics.
That's sort of a medium-size aircraft, so they mostly do
shuttle routes, as compared to other carriers that use a
hub-and-spokes system. The flights I looked at could stop
or change planes at Denver, Phoenix, or Las Vegas. If this
had been planned better, me and my travelling companion
could have spent some time in Vegas, which could have been fun,
but we're more worried with just accomplishing the main point
of the trip. She even asked her doctor for drugs to deal with
her anxiety (which is growing daily), but he just recommended
taking the sleep medication she's already been prescribed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> PeterL1 wrote:
>
> > If you're just flying cross country, it's really not that long. If you
> > were going to Australia ..... yeah, maybe, but they have great food on
> > most international flights, and the booze is free.

> No free booze on Continental.

If they could charge for fresh air, they would.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> Yikes. My flight to San Diego wasn't much more than 5. It's
>> about as far as you can get, from the northeast to the southwest.
>> Does the flight time account for the time change?

> There's going to be two stops. I don't think I have to change
> planes. Southwest only flies the 737, to simplify logistics.

Gotcha.

> That's sort of a medium-size aircraft, so they mostly do
> shuttle routes, as compared to other carriers that use a
> hub-and-spokes system. The flights I looked at could stop
> or change planes at Denver, Phoenix, or Las Vegas. If this
> had been planned better, me and my travelling companion
> could have spent some time in Vegas, which could have been fun,
> but we're more worried with just accomplishing the main point
> of the trip. She even asked her doctor for drugs to deal with
> her anxiety (which is growing daily), but he just recommended
> taking the sleep medication she's already been prescribed.

Best of luck with that. There's a lot to be said for sleeping
through a flight. I hope she feels better about the whole thing
and everything goes smoothly.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

>Janet Wilder wrote:

No free booze on Continental.

>If they could charge for fresh air, they would.

That's a no brainer... they're already charging for stale air.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote in news:00db5aa6$0$8079
:

> PeterL1 wrote:
>
>> If you're just flying cross country, it's really not that long. If you
>> were going to Australia ..... yeah, maybe, but they have great food on
>> most international flights, and the booze is free.
>>

> No free booze on Continental.

That sucks.... and blows!!

All international flights I've been on have had free booze...... and I
obviously haven't flown Continental!!

Qantas, Garuda, Malaysian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, KLM, United,
Emirates, Air NZ, and Thai Airlines.

I've purposely never flown Brunei airlines because IIRC they are dry as
well.... but I think you can take your own on the flight.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

If this is an 8-hour flight, they should feed you. You might want to
take something with you, in case you do not like what they are serving.
Continental feeds you if you fly during meal hours. I had a long flight
on Continental and they offered small bottles of red or white wine with
dinner.

Usually I take nuts, apples or bananas with me. I have purchased salads
and sandwiches and it goes through the x-ray in the original bag, they
have never opened it. I hope they offer decent movies on your flight,
that helps pass the time. A couple of weeks ago, I watched Inglorious
Basterds and Michael Jackson's, This Is It. When they turn the lights
out, I wish people would keep quiet so people can sleep.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote in news:00e5e568$0$23713
:

@sonic.net:

not
>>> Very good advice. I'm flying Southwest, and they allow it!
>>>
>>> http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/alcohol.html
>>>
>>> The bag full of airline bottles is allowed!
>>> There a limit of 140 proof.

>> It sounds like you want to consume the alcohol on board, right?
>>
>> The rules say it's OK to transport up to 5lt of booze, but nothing

about
>> drinking it in flight.

>> area
>>> It's about 8 hours. That's pretty long
>>> to be without comfort.
>>>

>> LOL!!! Unless you fly business or 1st class, there is no comfort

anyway!!

>> I've watched quite a few "Airline USA" shows where Southwest was the

main
>> 'player'.... enough to make me think twice before ever choosing them
>> if/when I ever fly inter-USA.
>>

> I have two choices of airlines when I fly to visit my kids in New
> Jersey. Continental and Southwest. I can, personally, assure you that
> the Southwest flights are more comfortable, more likely to be on time
> and less likely to lose luggage. Their cabin crew are infinitely more
> polite and friendly than the UN-friendly skies of Continental.

The show certainly doesn't put them in a good light, that's for sure. But
then, you'll always have 'difficult' passengers, no ,atter what terminal
you're in.

I'm just not real happy with the fact that they will "oversell" a domestic
flight by up to 55 seats!!

> I flew for business for many years and even in the 80's and early 90's
> Continental had the nastiest cabin personnel in the air.
>
> I think United is probably the best of the bigger airlines, but they
> don't get there from here. BTW, United will give you free wine and beer
> on international flights.

Yeah, I flew United on one of my trips to the Stateside. And I'll never
fly with them again. When it came time for me to come home, they stranded
me at (a *very* hectic) LAX for 3 days.

Why?

I was 3 mins late for checkin, and the flight wasn't going to leave for
another 35mins.

Why was I 3 mins late?? It was just after the Northridge earthquake and
things were a bit trashed, and it seemed like *everyone* was trying to get
out of the city!!

Luckily, my wife at the time lived at Vencie Beach, so we could jump on
the motorbike and shoot into LAX over the 3 days and wait to see if I made
the standby list.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> I'm going to be flying across the country soon. It's been
> about 10 years since the last time I flew, so I haven't
> experienced the "security theater".
>
> I've read the TSA rules, and it appears that I can carry
> a quart-size transparent bag stuffed with airline bottles
> of liquor. Not nearly enough for such a long flight,
> but it'll have to do.

How long, exactly, do you think this flight is going to take? Do you have a
long layover?

> I don't see any restrictions on carrying food, just liquids,
> gels, and various types of weapons.
>
> What do you carry by way of food for a long flight?

I take snack crackers. Despite all the talk about peanut-free zones I never
had a problem bringing cheese-PB crackers on board. But I try to be nice so
I take a small bag of just cheese crackers and sorry if someone has a cheese
allergy! It doesn't sound to me like your flight will be all that long.
For a flight of about 6 hours, or a split flight with a long layover in the
middle, I wouldn't expect to be fed anything other than a snack and a free
non-alcoholic beverage on any leg of the trip. You can always pay if you
want a drink with alcohol, but be prepared to have exact change.

If you're flying first class, that is another story If it's a short
flight (and nothing you posted makes it sound terribly long IMHO) you'll
still only be offered snacks but you'll probably get better snacks. LOL.

> What have you tried to carry, but was confiscated?

Nothing of mine has ever been confiscated. But you really need to check
with the airline. I haven't flown since summer, 2009 but back then you
couldn't carry personal items over a certain size (IIRC 6 oz.) such as
toothpaste or anti-perspirants in your carry-on. And what you did bring had
to be sealed in specific size clear zip-lock bags. Of course that's not
food.

Back then every month was a crap shoot. So call the airline if you have
specific questions.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/3/2010 5:42 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> George wrote:
>
>> hygiene items. The usual thing is they love to hassle the crap out of
>> folks who will bring a rolled up partially used toothpaste tube. The
>> government worker will then hold the bag up in the air and exclaim
>> that the rule is for a 3 oz tube not a 8oz or whatever the fully
>> filled tube might be...

> I couldn't believe I made such a lame mistake, I had a tube of
> sunscreen in my carry on once. She looked at it, thought about
> it, let me keep it. She didn't ask or I would have told her Toss it.
> I was wrong to have it even if it only contained very little product.
>
>> Typically you see a few folks who will bring on a sandwich/personal
>> pizza/etc they buy in the secure area.

> I carry those cheese crackers in case I get that hungry feeling. And I
> buy a bottle of water in the terminal.
> nancy

They seem to be easing up on being totally cheesy. On the last couple of
flights I took they frequently came by with water in between the usual
coffee/soda run.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/3/2010 8:13 PM, Becca wrote:
> If this is an 8-hour flight, they should feed you. You might want to
> take something with you, in case you do not like what they are serving.
> Continental feeds you if you fly during meal hours. I had a long flight
> on Continental and they offered small bottles of red or white wine with
> dinner.

Typically long domestic flights have purchased food service anymore.
They roll a cart down the aisle and have typical airline food for maybe
$6~8.

> Usually I take nuts, apples or bananas with me. I have purchased salads
> and sandwiches and it goes through the x-ray in the original bag, they
> have never opened it. I hope they offer decent movies on your flight,
> that helps pass the time. A couple of weeks ago, I watched Inglorious
> Basterds and Michael Jackson's, This Is It. When they turn the lights
> out, I wish people would keep quiet so people can sleep.
>

> Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> George wrote:
>
> I carry those cheese crackers in case I get that hungry feeling. And I
> buy a bottle of water in the terminal.
> nancy

Yeah, used to be you could bring in a bottle and fill it from the fountain
(if they had one) and get it through security. Now you have to buy a bottle
of water once you go through security. I'm *so* against paying $2 for a
bottle of water I will just drink from the airport water fountains while
waiting for the plane. Then when they have beverage service ask them to
bring me ice water

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> I think United is probably the best of the bigger airlines, but they
> don't get there from here. BTW, United will give you free wine and beer
> on international flights.

So will Qantas, Lufthansa and Royal Air Marroc, in my recent experience.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> You can always pay if you want a drink with alcohol, but be
> prepared to have exact change.

When we flew Delta from Denver to NY a few weeks ago they announced:

"Delta now has a cash-fess cabin policy. You may pay for drinks or
headsets with a credit or debit card when the flight attendant reaches you."

Just another inconvenience. Remember when it was fun to fly somewhere?

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/3/2010 7:14 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> Yikes. My flight to San Diego wasn't much more than 5. It's
>> about as far as you can get, from the northeast to the southwest.
>> Does the flight time account for the time change?

> There's going to be two stops. I don't think I have to change
> planes.

I would suggest doing a little more checking. It is pretty unusual not
to change A/C on the flight you described. Since you mentioned it is
taking 8 hours to go coast to coast you are likely spending time in an
airport while you are changing to another flight.

Southwest only flies the 737, to simplify logistics.
> That's sort of a medium-size aircraft, so they mostly do
> shuttle routes, as compared to other carriers that use a
> hub-and-spokes system. The flights I looked at could stop
> or change planes at Denver, Phoenix, or Las Vegas. If this
> had been planned better, me and my travelling companion
> could have spent some time in Vegas, which could have been fun,
> but we're more worried with just accomplishing the main point
> of the trip. She even asked her doctor for drugs to deal with
> her anxiety (which is growing daily), but he just recommended
> taking the sleep medication she's already been prescribed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 13:03:17 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> I'm going to be flying across the country soon. It's been
> about 10 years since the last time I flew, so I haven't
> experienced the "security theater".

Take off your shoes and belt while you're in line, don't wait to the
last minute or the people behind you will not be happy.

> I've read the TSA rules, and it appears that I can carry
> a quart-size transparent bag stuffed with airline bottles
> of liquor. Not nearly enough for such a long flight,
> but it'll have to do.

Heh.

> I don't see any restrictions on carrying food, just liquids,
> gels, and various types of weapons.
>
> What do you carry by way of food for a long flight?
> What have you tried to carry, but was confiscated?

You have to get to the airport early anyway; so get there a little
earlier, check in, go through security and eat a decent meal while
waiting for your flight. Then you won't need any snacks onboard.
You'll live. It's just across the country, you're not going to Europe
or Asia.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 14:20:04 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> It's about 8 hours. That's pretty long
> to be without comfort.

That's not a nonstop flight. You'll have a layover or plane change
and be out of the airplane midroute. Get a meal or snack at whatever
airport it is. It's a good way to kill time too.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> PeterL1 wrote:

>>> If you're just flying cross country, it's really not that long. If you
>>> were going to Australia ..... yeah, maybe, but they have great food on
>>> most international flights, and the booze is free.

>> No free booze on Continental.

> Nor United, for the past several years.
>
> Steve

I got free wine and beer on United going to Australia in the Fall of 07

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> PeterL1 wrote:
>>
>>> If you're just flying cross country, it's really not that long. If you
>>> were going to Australia ..... yeah, maybe, but they have great food on
>>> most international flights, and the booze is free.

>> No free booze on Continental.

> If they could charge for fresh air, they would.

You got that right. They are the least friendly airline in the skies.
Unfortunately, it's hard to get from here to anywhere without using them.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL1 wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote in news:00db5aa6$0$8079
> :
>
>> PeterL1 wrote:
>>
>>> If you're just flying cross country, it's really not that long. If you
>>> were going to Australia ..... yeah, maybe, but they have great food on
>>> most international flights, and the booze is free.
>>>

>> No free booze on Continental.
>>

> That sucks.... and blows!!
>
> All international flights I've been on have had free booze...... and I
> obviously haven't flown Continental!!
>
> Qantas, Garuda, Malaysian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, KLM, United,
> Emirates, Air NZ, and Thai Airlines.
>
> I've purposely never flown Brunei airlines because IIRC they are dry as
> well.... but I think you can take your own on the flight.

We flew to Barcelona in November. Had to pay for my own wine. I have
some more of their coupons some place. Will use them when I fly to
Israel with them in May. I hate them, but I hate paying a lot more for
airfare, too.

Explanation: Where I live one needs to take the commuter plane to
Houston to go any place out of Texas. We have the choice of Southwest or
Continental. Southwest takes you to Hobby which doesn't do any good
unless you are continuing with Southwest, then it's "the" way to go.

Because of the need to change planes in Houston, it is almost always
cheaper to continue with Continental. For overseas flights it's usually
Continental to Newark for the overseas flight. We did go to Heathrow
directly from Houston once.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Yikes. My flight to San Diego wasn't much more than 5. It's
>> about as far as you can get, from the northeast to the southwest.
>> Does the flight time account for the time change?

> There's going to be two stops. I don't think I have to change
> planes. Southwest only flies the 737, to simplify logistics.
> That's sort of a medium-size aircraft, so they mostly do
> shuttle routes, as compared to other carriers that use a
> hub-and-spokes system. The flights I looked at could stop
> or change planes at Denver, Phoenix, or Las Vegas. If this
> had been planned better, me and my travelling companion
> could have spent some time in Vegas, which could have been fun,
> but we're more worried with just accomplishing the main point
> of the trip. She even asked her doctor for drugs to deal with
> her anxiety (which is growing daily), but he just recommended
> taking the sleep medication she's already been prescribed.

Hand raised: Anxious flier here!! Very claustrophobic. My
recommendation is a Valium (10 mg does the trick) swallowed down with a
bottle of airline white wine. I'm a much better sleeper than flier.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> George wrote:
>>
>> I carry those cheese crackers in case I get that hungry feeling. And
>> I buy a bottle of water in the terminal.
>> nancy

> Yeah, used to be you could bring in a bottle and fill it from the
> fountain (if they had one) and get it through security. Now you have to
> buy a bottle of water once you go through security. I'm *so* against
> paying $2 for a bottle of water I will just drink from the airport water
> fountains while waiting for the plane. Then when they have beverage
> service ask them to bring me ice water
>
> Jill

You could put one of those aluminum bottles in your purse, empty of
course. Then you can fill it from the fountain after security. I've done
it.