Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Down Home With The Neelys, Y'all

It has been a few years since I watched the Food Network, but this
morning, I watched Down Home With The Neelys. He said the word "y'all"
over and over, he said it so many times I could not keep count. I think
he has Paula Deen beat, y'all.

Do you have a favorite show on the Food Network?

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> It has been a few years since I watched the Food Network, but this
> morning, I watched Down Home With The Neelys. He said the word "y'all"
> over and over, he said it so many times I could not keep count. I think
> he has Paula Deen beat, y'all.
>
> Do you have a favorite show on the Food Network?
>
> Becca

The only one I watch anymore is Alton Brown, the rest don't appeal to me
at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> It has been a few years since I watched the Food Network, but this
> morning, I watched Down Home With The Neelys. He said the word "y'all"
> over and over, he said it so many times I could not keep count. I think
> he has Paula Deen beat, y'all.
>
> Do you have a favorite show on the Food Network?
>
> Becca

I used to like David Rosengarten's show; I think it was called
"Taste". That should tell you how long it's been since I watched
the Food Network.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 23, 10:02*am, Becca > wrote:
> It has been a few years since I watched the Food Network, but this
> morning, I watched Down Home With The Neelys. *He said the word "y'all"
> over and over, he said it so many times I could not keep count. *I think
> he has Paula Deen beat, y'all.
>
> Do you have a favorite show on the Food Network?
>
> Becca

I watch the food network for the entertainment, when I do watch it.

One show that has amused me is "Chopped". They bring in 4 'chefs',
some are real chefs some are chefs in the sense that
they are the guy who cooks at the firehouse. They give them mystery
ingredients for three courses. Appetizer, main course,
and dessert. Appetizer might be something like rhubarb, shrimp and
graham crackers.....and they give them 30 minutes
to create a dish. The dishes are judges by pros and one chef is
'chopped'. You wind up with two people making dessert
and one winner.

It's an entertainng show because I try to figure out what kind of dish
I would make out of the ingredients. Sometimes it's easy
to compile a recipe and sometimes I just scratch my head. It is fun
watching people figure it out and then sweat over getting
it done in 30 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> It has been a few years since I watched the Food Network, but this
> morning, I watched Down Home With The Neelys. He said the word
> "y'all" over and over, he said it so many times I could not keep
> count. I think he has Paula Deen beat, y'all.

You know, they started their Food Network career on Paula's
show, maybe he's the one who got her started! Heh.

> Do you have a favorite show on the Food Network?

These days, probably Tyler's Ultimate.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> It has been a few years since I watched the Food Network, but this
> morning, I watched Down Home With The Neelys. He said the word "y'all"
> over and over, he said it so many times I could not keep count. I think
> he has Paula Deen beat, y'all.
>
> Do you have a favorite show on the Food Network?
>
> Becca

I don't know about his y'alls but... I love the Neelys! I think they're
just an adorable cute couple. I wish they lived next door to me.
Seriously. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:02:19 -0600, Becca > wrote:

>It has been a few years since I watched the Food Network, but this
>morning, I watched Down Home With The Neelys. He said the word "y'all"
>over and over, he said it so many times I could not keep count. I think
>he has Paula Deen beat, y'all.
>

>Do you have a favorite show on the Food Network?

No. Of the heavy hitters, Giada, Ina and Michael C are my favorites.
None of them are appointment television though. Of those not in the
limelight that 5 Ingredient Fix show and Robin Miller are worth
watching. I also liked Brian Boitano's show (he has a big
personality) better than Melissa deArabian's show.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>> It has been a few years since I watched the Food Network, but this
>> morning, I watched Down Home With The Neelys. He said the word
>> "y'all" over and over, he said it so many times I could not keep
>> count. I think he has Paula Deen beat, y'all.
>>
>> Do you have a favorite show on the Food Network?
>>
>> Becca

> The only one I watch anymore is Alton Brown, the rest don't appeal to me
> at all.

I'm with y'all, George.

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> It has been a few years since I watched the Food Network, but this
> morning, I watched Down Home With The Neelys. He said the word "y'all"
> over and over, he said it so many times I could not keep count. I think
> he has Paula Deen beat, y'all.

True Southerners don't say "y'all" hardly a'tall. Paula Dean's shrieking
voice could shatter glass (as well as eardrums) and her accent is Tennessee
hicksville, not Georgia by any measure. Phony, phony, phony.

> Do you have a favorite show on the Food Network?

Alton Brown. That's all I watch. Every now and then I will watch a few
minutes of Diners, Dives etc. I get bored after a few minutes though.
Nothing else is watchable, maybe Iron Chef USA but I have yet to watch a
full episode. It just has no lasting appeal. Now Tony Bourdain I won't
miss for nothing. Different channel altogether though, y'all.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> True Southerners don't say "y'all" hardly a'tall. Paula Dean's shrieking
> voice could shatter glass (as well as eardrums) and her accent is Tennessee
> hicksville, not Georgia by any measure. Phony, phony, phony.

True Southerners?...actually they do say y'all. They just don't make a
production outta it like she does.
I even grew up saying "howdy" and it was the norm. But not outside of Texas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> True Southerners don't say "y'all" hardly a'tall. Paula Dean's
>> shrieking voice could shatter glass (as well as eardrums) and her
>> accent is Tennessee hicksville, not Georgia by any measure. Phony,
>> phony, phony.

> True Southerners?...actually they do say y'all. They just don't make a
> production outta it like she does.
> I even grew up saying "howdy" and it was the norm. But not outside of
> Texas.

And in East Texas, Northern Louisiana and Southern Arkansas, people
really do say things like "Dag nab it" and "Darn" and "Dang" and "Gol
darn". And they also say "please" and "thank you" and "Sir" and Ma'am"
a lot more than anyplace I have ever lived.

That is changing though. Since I've been here, I've taught a bunch of
them to say "Sonsabitches".

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-01-23, George Leppla > wrote:

> And in East Texas, Northern Louisiana and Southern Arkansas, people
> really do say things like "Dag nab it" and "Darn" and "Dang" and "Gol
> darn". And they also say "please" and "thank you" and "Sir" and Ma'am"
> a lot more than anyplace I have ever lived.

"And we say grace and we say Ma'am
And if you ain't into that we don't give a damn"
-- Artist: Williams Hank Jr
Song: Country Boy Can Survive

The breakdown of manners is the breakdown of civilazation.

If that's not a famous quote, it should be.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>> It has been a few years since I watched the Food Network, but this
>> morning, I watched Down Home With The Neelys. He said the word
>> "y'all" over and over, he said it so many times I could not keep
>> count. I think he has Paula Deen beat, y'all.
>>
>> Do you have a favorite show on the Food Network?
>>
>> Becca

> I don't know about his y'alls but... I love the Neelys! I think they're
> just an adorable cute couple. I wish they lived next door to me.
> Seriously. LOL

I ate at the BBQ place and was not impressed

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>
>>> True Southerners don't say "y'all" hardly a'tall. Paula Dean's
>>> shrieking voice could shatter glass (as well as eardrums) and her
>>> accent is Tennessee hicksville, not Georgia by any measure. Phony,
>>> phony, phony.

>> True Southerners?...actually they do say y'all. They just don't make
>> a production outta it like she does.
>> I even grew up saying "howdy" and it was the norm. But not outside of
>> Texas.

> And in East Texas, Northern Louisiana and Southern Arkansas, people
> really do say things like "Dag nab it" and "Darn" and "Dang" and "Gol
> darn". And they also say "please" and "thank you" and "Sir" and Ma'am"
> a lot more than anyplace I have ever lived.
>
> That is changing though. Since I've been here, I've taught a bunch of
> them to say "Sonsabitches".
>
> George L

I love East Texas talk. They put tars on their cars and when they go
camping they make a far.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 1:02*pm, Becca > wrote:

> Do you have a favorite show on the Food Network?

Alton Brown only. I'd rather see a bunch of Alton and Pepin reruns
than all the others combined.

Remember the Italian chef who rendered flat arias while stirring or
whatever? Turned me off to the whole show, even tho he had some good
recipes and techniques. He SWORE that the perfect meatloaf baked at
an oven temp of 365. What WAS his name?

Chef Rapide wasn't too bad either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote

> True Southerners don't say "y'all" hardly a'tall. Paula Dean's shrieking
> voice could shatter glass (as well as eardrums) and her accent is
> Tennessee hicksville, not Georgia by any measure. Phony, phony, phony.

Grin, depends on the area but the Neely's do over-do it a tad. On Paula
Deen's accent, it's not coastal Georgia for sure, but tain't too far off the
western edges. Bit of a twang to it which is missing on the coastal
versions of the south.

The main thing I notice is her word choice is odd, while the Neely's is dead
on other than a bit more apt to use 'Y'all'.

Favorite watch: Alton Brown.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> True Southerners don't say "y'all" hardly a'tall. Paula Dean's shrieking
>> voice could shatter glass (as well as eardrums) and her accent is
>> Tennessee hicksville, not Georgia by any measure. Phony, phony, phony.

> True Southerners?...actually they do say y'all. They just don't make a
> production outta it like she does.

True as in not phony baloney. Dean is a Southerner but she puts on an act
with it.

> I even grew up saying "howdy" and it was the norm. But not outside of
> Texas.

Some even day fer sher, I reckon.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2010 7:16 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> George Leppla wrote:
>> Goomba wrote:

>>> True Southerners?...actually they do say y'all. They just don't make
>>> a production outta it like she does.
>>> I even grew up saying "howdy" and it was the norm. But not outside of
>>> Texas.

>> And in East Texas, Northern Louisiana and Southern Arkansas, people
>> really do say things like "Dag nab it" and "Darn" and "Dang" and "Gol
>> darn". And they also say "please" and "thank you" and "Sir" and Ma'am"
>> a lot more than anyplace I have ever lived.
>>
>> That is changing though. Since I've been here, I've taught a bunch of
>> them to say "Sonsabitches".
>>
>> George L

> I love East Texas talk. They put tars on their cars and when they go
> camping they make a far.

Y'all are makin' me homesick.

Bob, from East Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
On Jan 23, 1:02 pm, Becca > wrote:

> Do you have a favorite show on the Food Network?

Alton Brown only. I'd rather see a bunch of Alton and Pepin reruns
than all the others combined.

Remember the Italian chef who rendered flat arias while stirring or
whatever? Turned me off to the whole show, even tho he had some good
recipes and techniques. He SWORE that the perfect meatloaf baked at
an oven temp of 365. What WAS his name?

Pasquale. He did Pasquale's Kitchen Express. I watched him all the time.
He seemed to love making banana desserts and always had one simmering in
brown sugar syrup.

>Chef Rapide wasn't too bad either.

Remember Madeline? I liked her cooking school shows but sometimes she could
be annoying.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" wrote
> Paul M. Cook wrote:

>> True Southerners don't say "y'all" hardly a'tall. Paula Dean's shrieking
>> voice could shatter glass (as well as eardrums) and her accent is
>> Tennessee hicksville, not Georgia by any measure. Phony, phony, phony.

> True Southerners?...actually they do say y'all. They just don't make a
> production outta it like she does.
> I even grew up saying "howdy" and it was the norm. But not outside of
> Texas.

Yuppers! I caught one fellow flat out. He was claiming to be from the
Smokies. 'Ceptin he couldnt follow my speach ;-)

Ok, I did lay it on a wee bit thick, but anyone from the area could have
followed me. I happen to come from a very small rural part of the world and
even if we moved about, we stuck mostly along the same mountains from
Virginia and down south. Blue ridge and Smokies. When totally sober, my
accent is like the guys on TV who do newscasting, but give me a few beers
and I be gettin' _all_ widdershins!

You can tell some aspects of a person's area by choice of words, even across
the newsgroups.

I'm thinking- North and westwards
I be thinkin' - Moutains, eastern coast
I think- Central USA
I'm a thinkin' - Deep south but away from mountain unless Tenn/Ark.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> On 1/23/2010 7:16 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> George Leppla wrote:

>>> And in East Texas, Northern Louisiana and Southern Arkansas, people
>>> really do say things like "Dag nab it" and "Darn" and "Dang" and "Gol
>>> darn". And they also say "please" and "thank you" and "Sir" and Ma'am"
>>> a lot more than anyplace I have ever lived.
>>>
>>> That is changing though. Since I've been here, I've taught a bunch of
>>> them to say "Sonsabitches".
>>>
>>> George L

>> I love East Texas talk. They put tars on their cars and when they go
>> camping they make a far.
>>

> Y'all are makin' me homesick.
>
> Bob, from East Texas

We met a guy from East Texas last year who had such an accent that it
was hard to understand him..... except that every once in a while the
word "brisket" would ring out loud and clear.

"IzetellinyalldatsumbitchwuzdebesBRISKETizeevapudi nmahmout"

Now when we come across someone like that, we just say he was "speaking
Brisket".

George L <---dasriteIseddatboywuztawkinBrisket.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" wrote
> George Leppla wrote

>> And in East Texas, Northern Louisiana and Southern Arkansas, people
>> really do say things like "Dag nab it" and "Darn" and "Dang" and "Gol
>> darn". And they also say "please" and "thank you" and "Sir" and Ma'am" a
>> lot more than anyplace I have ever lived.

> I love East Texas talk. They put tars on their cars and when they go
> camping they make a far.

Grin, Never try to tell a NY City guy where the bathroom is. 'Out widder'
comes over to them as pee out the window. Wish he'd popped the screen off
first!

(widder, short for widdershins. Widdershins, 'behind or in back, also has
flavor of 'away from civilization' pendant on how it's used). I was trying
to tell him when a wee bit well drunk meself, that the bathroom was in the
back of the house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Janet Wilder wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
> > Becca wrote:
> >> It has been a few years since I watched the Food Network, but this
> >> morning, I watched Down Home With The Neelys. He said the word
> >> "y'all" over and over, he said it so many times I could not keep
> >> count. I think he has Paula Deen beat, y'all.
> >>
> >> Do you have a favorite show on the Food Network?
> >>
> >> Becca

> > The only one I watch anymore is Alton Brown, the rest don't appeal to me
> > at all.

> I'm with y'all, George.
>
> (Sorry, I just couldn't resist)
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Hehehe, yeah - I know exactly what y'all mean! <G>

Sky, expat GRITS

P.S. I forget what version of 'biography' I saw on cable/sat about the
Neeleys, but it was very interesting to watch/learn. Rather a love
story, too.

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

George Leppla wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
> > On 1/23/2010 7:16 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> >> George Leppla wrote:
> >>
> >> I love East Texas talk. They put tars on their cars and when they go
> >> camping they make a far.
> >>

> > Y'all are makin' me homesick.
> >
> > Bob, from East Texas

> We met a guy from East Texas last year who had such an accent that it
> was hard to understand him..... except that every once in a while the
> word "brisket" would ring out loud and clear.
>
> "IzetellinyalldatsumbitchwuzdebesBRISKETizeevapudi nmahmout"
>
> Now when we come across someone like that, we just say he was "speaking
> Brisket".
>
> George L <---dasriteIseddatboywuztawkinBrisket.

ROFL!! Thanks for the giggles, that's hilarious (to me)! Reminds me
too well of the years I lived in Texas (a few lifetimes ago) <VBG>.
Y'all are just too funny!!

Sky, who learned quickly that "you guys" IS NOT acceptable down South!!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> George Leppla wrote:
>> Goomba wrote:

>>> True Southerners?...actually they do say y'all. They just don't make
>>> a production outta it like she does.
>>> I even grew up saying "howdy" and it was the norm. But not outside of
>>> Texas.

>> And in East Texas, Northern Louisiana and Southern Arkansas, people
>> really do say things like "Dag nab it" and "Darn" and "Dang" and "Gol
>> darn". And they also say "please" and "thank you" and "Sir" and
>> Ma'am" a lot more than anyplace I have ever lived.
>>
>> That is changing though. Since I've been here, I've taught a bunch of
>> them to say "Sonsabitches".
>>
>> George L

> I love East Texas talk. They put tars on their cars and when they go
> camping they make a far.

Old Aggie joke: Man invites three Aggies to his costume party, told them
to come dressed a characters from the Bible. Night of the party they
show up dressed like firemen. He asks "Which Biblical characters are
you?" Answer: "Three wise men from a far."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2010 7:50 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> I love East Texas talk. They put tars on their cars and when they go
>>> camping they make a far.
>>>

>> Y'all are makin' me homesick.
>>
>> Bob, from East Texas

> We met a guy from East Texas last year who had such an accent that it
> was hard to understand him..... except that every once in a while the
> word "brisket" would ring out loud and clear.
>
> "IzetellinyalldatsumbitchwuzdebesBRISKETizeevapudi nmahmout"
>
> Now when we come across someone like that, we just say he was "speaking
> Brisket".
>
> George L <---dasriteIseddatboywuztawkinBrisket.

That sounds like dang ol' "Boomhauer" on King Of The Hill.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> On 1/23/2010 7:16 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> George Leppla wrote:

>>> And in East Texas, Northern Louisiana and Southern Arkansas, people
>>> really do say things like "Dag nab it" and "Darn" and "Dang" and "Gol
>>> darn". And they also say "please" and "thank you" and "Sir" and Ma'am"
>>> a lot more than anyplace I have ever lived.
>>>
>>> That is changing though. Since I've been here, I've taught a bunch of
>>> them to say "Sonsabitches".
>>>
>>> George L

>> I love East Texas talk. They put tars on their cars and when they go
>> camping they make a far.
>>

> Y'all are makin' me homesick.
>
> Bob, from East Texas

Me too, I may drive the 35 miles tomorrow necessary to get me over west
into East Texas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> George Leppla wrote:
>> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> Y'all are makin' me homesick.
>>>
>>> Bob, from East Texas

>> We met a guy from East Texas last year who had such an accent that it
>> was hard to understand him..... except that every once in a while the
>> word "brisket" would ring out loud and clear.
>>
>> "IzetellinyalldatsumbitchwuzdebesBRISKETizeevapudi nmahmout"
>>
>> Now when we come across someone like that, we just say he was "speaking
>> Brisket".
>>
>> George L <---dasriteIseddatboywuztawkinBrisket.

> ROFL!! Thanks for the giggles, that's hilarious (to me)! Reminds me
> too well of the years I lived in Texas (a few lifetimes ago) <VBG>.
> Y'all are just too funny!!
>
> Sky, who learned quickly that "you guys" IS NOT acceptable down South!!

Had a Southern California girl friend many eons ago. Her take was "You
guyse kill me saying Y'alll." Sort of early Valley Girl dialect (this
was i957). She was the true blonde of epic proportions all the jokes are
about. Startlingly beautiful, a truly good person, dumb as a post. She
candled eggs in a chicken ranch for a living. I got transferred after a
few months and lost track of her. Thank goodness.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

George Shirley wrote:

> Sky wrote:
> > George Leppla wrote:

> >> We met a guy from East Texas last year who had such an accent that it
> >> was hard to understand him..... except that every once in a while the
> >> word "brisket" would ring out loud and clear.
> >>
> >> "IzetellinyalldatsumbitchwuzdebesBRISKETizeevapudi nmahmout"
> >>
> >> Now when we come across someone like that, we just say he was "speaking
> >> Brisket".
> >>
> >> George L <---dasriteIseddatboywuztawkinBrisket.

> > ROFL!! Thanks for the giggles, that's hilarious (to me)! Reminds me
> > too well of the years I lived in Texas (a few lifetimes ago) <VBG>.
> > Y'all are just too funny!!
> >
> > Sky, who learned quickly that "you guys" IS NOT acceptable down South!!
> >

> Had a Southern California girl friend many eons ago. Her take was "You
> guyse kill me saying Y'alll." Sort of early Valley Girl dialect (this
> was i957). She was the true blonde of epic proportions all the jokes are
> about. Startlingly beautiful, a truly good person, dumb as a post. She
> candled eggs in a chicken ranch for a living. I got transferred after a
> few months and lost track of her. Thank goodness.

OH yeah..... <g>. My elementary school classmates quickly disabused me
of "you guys" soon after I moved down south from New England where "you
guys" (in various forms of dialect) was the norm. Survival at its
rawest, eh?

Sky, expat GRITS

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> I love East Texas talk. They put tars on their cars and when they go
>>> camping they make a far.
>>>

>> Y'all are makin' me homesick.
>>
>> Bob, from East Texas

> We met a guy from East Texas last year who had such an accent that it
> was hard to understand him..... except that every once in a while the
> word "brisket" would ring out loud and clear.
>
> "IzetellinyalldatsumbitchwuzdebesBRISKETizeevapudi nmahmout"
>
> Now when we come across someone like that, we just say he was "speaking
> Brisket".
>
> George L <---dasriteIseddatboywuztawkinBrisket.

LOL! Great story, George.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> George Leppla wrote:

>>> And in East Texas, Northern Louisiana and Southern Arkansas, people
>>> really do say things like "Dag nab it" and "Darn" and "Dang" and "Gol
>>> darn". And they also say "please" and "thank you" and "Sir" and
>>> Ma'am" a lot more than anyplace I have ever lived.
>>>
>>> That is changing though. Since I've been here, I've taught a bunch
>>> of them to say "Sonsabitches".
>>>
>>> George L

>> I love East Texas talk. They put tars on their cars and when they go
>> camping they make a far.
>>

> Old Aggie joke: Man invites three Aggies to his costume party, told them
> to come dressed a characters from the Bible. Night of the party they
> show up dressed like firemen. He asks "Which Biblical characters are
> you?" Answer: "Three wise men from a far."

ROFL!! Good thing I had already swallowed my Diet Coke or the keyboard
would by your responsibility.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Jan 23, 1:02 pm, Becca > wrote:
>
>> Do you have a favorite show on the Food Network?

> Alton Brown only. I'd rather see a bunch of Alton and Pepin reruns
> than all the others combined.
>
> Remember the Italian chef who rendered flat arias while stirring or
> whatever? Turned me off to the whole show, even tho he had some good
> recipes and techniques. He SWORE that the perfect meatloaf baked at
> an oven temp of 365. What WAS his name?
>
> Chef Rapide wasn't too bad either.

I liked that Sarah Moulton. She was the editor or something of Gourmet
Magazine, IIRC. She had good techniques to share. When she started to
bring her kid on the shows because the network told her to, I stopped
watching.

What is wrong with cooking shows teaching techniques? It's not all about
recipes that most people aren't at all interested in.

Ina Gartner cooks real food. If she would just get rid of all her
buddies and put "Michael" in a home, it would be a better show. She
needs to stop pretending she is cooking for company and admit she is
cooking for TV. The phoniness gets in the way of some good cooking
information.

Alton Brown is about the only one I watch now. He has information that
is useful. The rest of the shows are "entertainment" and I can find more
entertaining things than people pretending that they can cook.

YMMV

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "Goomba" wrote
>> Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> True Southerners don't say "y'all" hardly a'tall. Paula Dean's
>>> shrieking voice could shatter glass (as well as eardrums) and her
>>> accent is Tennessee hicksville, not Georgia by any measure. Phony,
>>> phony, phony.

>> True Southerners?...actually they do say y'all. They just don't make
>> a production outta it like she does.
>> I even grew up saying "howdy" and it was the norm. But not outside of
>> Texas.

> Yuppers! I caught one fellow flat out. He was claiming to be from the
> Smokies. 'Ceptin he couldnt follow my speach ;-)
>
> Ok, I did lay it on a wee bit thick, but anyone from the area could have
> followed me. I happen to come from a very small rural part of the world
> and even if we moved about, we stuck mostly along the same mountains
> from Virginia and down south. Blue ridge and Smokies. When totally
> sober, my accent is like the guys on TV who do newscasting, but give me
> a few beers and I be gettin' _all_ widdershins!

So right. When I get really worked up, I lose all the final R's in my
speech and start to pronounce things like car as cawh. North
Jersey-speak is hard to get rid of. My kids, raised in Central Jersey
have always had final Rs.

> You can tell some aspects of a person's area by choice of words, even
> across the newsgroups.
>
> I'm thinking- North and westwards
> I be thinkin' - Moutains, eastern coast
> I think- Central USA
> I'm a thinkin' - Deep south but away from mountain unless Tenn/Ark.

I've been in Texas so long that I think I write Texan. Y'all can argue
with that.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:

>>> The only one I watch anymore is Alton Brown, the rest don't appeal to me
>>> at all.

>> I'm with y'all, George.
>>
>> (Sorry, I just couldn't resist)
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

> Hehehe, yeah - I know exactly what y'all mean! <G>
>
> Sky, expat GRITS
>
> P.S. I forget what version of 'biography' I saw on cable/sat about the
> Neeleys, but it was very interesting to watch/learn. Rather a love
> story, too.

I find them right annoying. Sorry. Maybe if the Q at their restaurant
had been better, I'd be better disposed.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Janet Wilder wrote:

> Sky wrote:
> >
> > P.S. I forget what version of 'biography' I saw on cable/sat about the
> > Neeleys, but it was very interesting to watch/learn. Rather a love
> > story, too.
> >

> I find them right annoying. Sorry. Maybe if the Q at their restaurant
> had been better, I'd be better disposed.

I don't disagree at all, and I know I'd agree with you about their
restaurant foods if ever I were to sample any. The Neeleys rather
annoying to me too, especially all that lovey-dovey stuff (cough
cough!). But, I found their life stories interesting - I bet nothing
else better was on TV at that moment in time <g>. Definitely a love
story. They'd dated in high school but drifted apart (I forget why) and
found each other again after their divorces from respective previous
spouses (or something like that).

Alton Brown for me, too!!! His shows are always 'fresh' and
entertaining! The low-cost visual effects are always hilarious (to me)
;D

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 17:18:32 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>Remember the Italian chef who rendered flat arias while stirring or
>whatever? Turned me off to the whole show, even tho he had some good
>recipes and techniques. He SWORE that the perfect meatloaf baked at
>an oven temp of 365. What WAS his name?

Nick Stellino, I'm pretty sure is who you mean. He has a couple of
cookbooks that include Italian music CDs
Ed
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 17:18:32 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>

> >Remember the Italian chef who rendered flat arias while stirring or
> >whatever? Turned me off to the whole show, even tho he had some good
> >recipes and techniques. He SWORE that the perfect meatloaf baked at
> >an oven temp of 365. What WAS his name?
> >

> Nick Stellino, I'm pretty sure is who you mean. He has a couple of
> cookbooks that include Italian music CDs
> Ed

He's still on PBS, isn't he - Nick Stellino that is? He is interesting
to watch. I cannot figure his accent, however. I assume Italian, but
...... what do I know <g>.

Sky, who often watches PBS

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:29:33 -0600, Sky >
wrote:

>He's still on PBS, isn't he - Nick Stellino that is? He is interesting
>to watch. I cannot figure his accent, however. I assume Italian, but
>..... what do I know <g>.

It's a fake Italian accent. I heard him speak in his normal voice
once, and it is definitely not Italian. And I heard somewhere (not
sure where) that this is a persona of his...the Nick Stellino one.

I don't like him at all. Fake...and he takes all of one program to do
ONE dish. Lidia can turn out 3 dishes in the time he takes to do
one.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 8:36*pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:29:33 -0600, Sky >
> wrote:
>
> >He's still on PBS, isn't he - Nick Stellino that is? *He is interesting
> >to watch. *I cannot figure his accent, however. *I assume Italian, but
> >..... what do I know <g>.

> It's a fake Italian accent. * I heard him speak in his normal voice
> once, and it is definitely not Italian. And I heard somewhere (not
> sure where) that this is a persona of his...the Nick Stellino one. *
>
> I don't like him at all. *Fake...and he takes all of one program to do
> ONE dish. * Lidia can turn out 3 dishes in the time he takes to do
> one. *

It is Nick Stellino but I'll disagree on the quality vs. quantity.
Lidia might pump out more but I can't sit through a single dish,
especially if her grandchild is involved. At least with Nick, real
time cooking is generally used. And there were several episodes of him
doing a multi-course meal; appetizer, main, dessert.

I've met him in person, too, and while I don't enjoy his money-grubber-
me-and-the-dollar attitude, I don't watch his show for that. I watch
his show to see how he does things and the excellent camera work.

The Ranger