Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What To Serve With Stuffed Peppers?

On 1/10/2010 16:50, Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 20:34:39 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sun 10 Jan 2010 09:59:56a, Lou Decruss told us...

>>> <shrug> I didn't pay much attention back then. I was in my 30's
>>> before I cared about cooking. I got my ear pierced, took some design
>>> classes, and started to learn about food all about the same time. I
>>> wasn't dating either then so my mom said; "You're going *** on me are
>>> you?"<snork>

>> Obviously not. :-)

> What I found silly is that it would have been something done to her.
> Typical guilt dispenser.
>
> <snip>
>
>> Great bargain! I rarely buy anything but green peppers because of the
>> price, but I will buy red, yellow, or orange if they're on sale.

> The prices are weird. We just stopped at the store for a few things
> and I looked at the prices. Reds were $.98 and greens were $1.49.
> Very odd. Usually it's the other way around by a big margin. I've
> seen reds as high as $3.99.<ouch>
>
> Lou

One local market does that and if you take a really close look you can
see they are still good but won't be for long. Greens have a much longer
shelf life.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 22:45:55 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sun 10 Jan 2010 02:50:36p, Lou Decruss told us...

>> The prices are weird. We just stopped at the store for a few things
>> and I looked at the prices. Reds were $.98 and greens were $1.49.
>> Very odd. Usually it's the other way around by a big margin. I've
>> seen reds as high as $3.99. <ouch>

>$3.99 is a common price here for all colors but green. Price for green
>vary considerably, but are usually fairly cheap.

Wow.. I can see why you usually get green then. Another sweet pepper
common around here year round is sold as "ancient" but from what I can
tell it's actually a ramiro. They're actually a bit sweeter than a
bell and cheaper. They're great in salads or sauted for sausage
sandwiches. They're too long and skinny to stuff though. The Mexi
and Italian places always have them.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:46:54 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>

>> The prices are weird. We just stopped at the store for a few things
>> and I looked at the prices. Reds were $.98 and greens were $1.49.
>> Very odd. Usually it's the other way around by a big margin. I've
>> seen reds as high as $3.99. <ouch>

>I have my own personal theory on this. Red are more expensive because
>they take longer to grow, are more fragile and have a shorter shelf life.
>
>But since they have a shorter shelf life, what does the grocer do when
>it getting towards the end of their life? Sell them off cheap! It
>works on me. If I'm shopping for a green, and see that the red are
>cheaper, I'll buy those instead.

Some people say they taste the same but I find the reds to be sweeter.
I too prefer them.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 19:26:12 -0500, George >
wrote:

>On 1/10/2010 16:50, Lou Decruss wrote:

>> The prices are weird. We just stopped at the store for a few things
>> and I looked at the prices. Reds were $.98 and greens were $1.49.
>> Very odd. Usually it's the other way around by a big margin. I've
>> seen reds as high as $3.99.<ouch>
>>
>> Lou

>One local market does that and if you take a really close look you can
>see they are still good but won't be for long. Greens have a much longer
>shelf life.

These looked and felt just like the ones in the regular bins. I was a
happy camper.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 00:50:35 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sun 10 Jan 2010 05:32:53p, Lou Decruss told us...
>
>> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 22:45:55 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun 10 Jan 2010 02:50:36p, Lou Decruss told us...

>>>$3.99 is a common price here for all colors but green. Price for green
>>>vary considerably, but are usually fairly cheap.

>> Wow.. I can see why you usually get green then. Another sweet pepper
>> common around here year round is sold as "ancient" but from what I can
>> tell it's actually a ramiro. They're actually a bit sweeter than a
>> bell and cheaper. They're great in salads or sauted for sausage
>> sandwiches. They're too long and skinny to stuff though. The Mexi
>> and Italian places always have them.
>>
>> Lou
>>

>Hmm... In spite of all the Mexican markets in the area, I don't remember
>seeing those.

<http://www.hedonsalads.co.uk/cms_media/images/stuffed_ramiro_peppers.jpg>

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 22:45:55 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sun 10 Jan 2010 02:50:36p, Lou Decruss told us...

> >> The prices are weird. We just stopped at the store for a few things
> >> and I looked at the prices. Reds were $.98 and greens were $1.49.
> >> Very odd. Usually it's the other way around by a big margin. I've
> >> seen reds as high as $3.99. <ouch>

> >$3.99 is a common price here for all colors but green. Price for green
> >vary considerably, but are usually fairly cheap.

> Wow.. I can see why you usually get green then. Another sweet pepper
> common around here year round is sold as "ancient" but from what I can
> tell it's actually a ramiro. They're actually a bit sweeter than a
> bell and cheaper. They're great in salads or sauted for sausage
> sandwiches. They're too long and skinny to stuff though. The Mexi
> and Italian places always have them.

I just did a Google on Ramiro peppers. About half of the first page of
hits were recipes for stuffing them. I just looked at one, but not
surprisingly, they were cut horizontally and laid on their sides.
Stuffed peppers are common in Mexican places (chili rellenos) and they
aren't big peppers. I don't remember seeing them around here. I'll
have to look for them.

Speaking of peppers, my eyes are burning! My son just roasted three
poblano peppers for a chicken dish, and the stove is about 10 feet from
this computer.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>
> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
> American thing?
>
> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.
>
> TIA,
>
> Lou

Spaghetti Carbonara or fettuccine Alfredo, Garlic Bread and red wine.

EJ in NJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 01:12:28 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sun 10 Jan 2010 06:06:37p, Lou Decruss told us...

>>>Hmm... In spite of all the Mexican markets in the area, I don't remember
>>>seeing those.

>> <http://www.hedonsalads.co.uk/cms_med...ro_peppers.jpg
>>

>> Lou
>>

>Oh yes, I've seen those, but don't recall seeing the name. Thanks, Lou.

If you see them please let me know what they call them there. It was
bugging the crap out of me one day and I couldn't find an answer if
ancient and ramiro are the same. I just kinda put it together by
looks and descriptions.

Tia

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 17:56:25 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 22:45:55 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >On Sun 10 Jan 2010 02:50:36p, Lou Decruss told us...

>> >$3.99 is a common price here for all colors but green. Price for green
>> >vary considerably, but are usually fairly cheap.

>> Wow.. I can see why you usually get green then. Another sweet pepper
>> common around here year round is sold as "ancient" but from what I can
>> tell it's actually a ramiro. They're actually a bit sweeter than a
>> bell and cheaper. They're great in salads or sauted for sausage
>> sandwiches. They're too long and skinny to stuff though. The Mexi
>> and Italian places always have them.

>I just did a Google on Ramiro peppers. About half of the first page of
>hits were recipes for stuffing them. I just looked at one, but not
>surprisingly, they were cut horizontally and laid on their sides.

That's about the only way you could do it I'd think.

>Stuffed peppers are common in Mexican places (chili rellenos) and they
>aren't big peppers.

I've seen them with a slit. It's got to be a pita to get inside to
clean them. Probably why the dish is so expensive.

> don't remember seeing them around here. I'll
>have to look for them.

get one and try it if you find them. Can't hurt as they're always
under a buck a pound and they're probably 4-6 per pound.

>Speaking of peppers, my eyes are burning! My son just roasted three
>poblano peppers for a chicken dish, and the stove is about 10 feet from
>this computer.

It's good that he cooks!

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:39:52 -0500, EJ Willson >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
>> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
>> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
>> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
>> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
>> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>>
>> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
>> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
>> American thing?
>>
>> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Lou

>Spaghetti Carbonara or fettuccine Alfredo, Garlic Bread and red wine.

Ya, Pasta was my first thought but luckily these guys talked me out
of it. the bread was plenty of food.

Thanks.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 16:41:52 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> > wrote:
>
>>In article .com>,
>> "Pete C." > wrote:
>>
>>> Meat, rice and seasonings stuffed into the pepper is very much the same
>>> as they are done in many regions. The exact meat and seasoning vary, but
>>> the fundamentals of the dish are very much the same all over

>> I see mostly bread crumbs or rice with maybe a little meat. Ours is
>>meat with a little rice. I have yet to see that, but perhaps the Polish
>>make theirs that way.

> I made these heavy on the sausage. The rice seemed to act as a binder
> along with the cheese. I know it sounds weird and sheldon may yap
> TIAD but they were delicious.
>
> Lou

I use the same stuffing mixture for golumki's (spelling?) and paprikas
(cabbage and peppers). Ground beef, rice, egg, a little bread crumbs,
worcheshire sauce, spices (salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, and whatever else
hits me when I'm mixing it) and tomato sauce. Mix it together, stuff it in
the uncooked, hollowed out peppers (or blanched cabbage leaves) and either
place them in the crockpot (another thread) or layer them in the roaster.
Pour a layer of sauce in the bottom before and cover with sauce after
filling the pan. In the crock, can leave for 6-8 hours, in the roaster,
maybe two, but check the roaster to see that they aren't drying out. If
they look a little dry, add some watered down tomato sauce.

We usually make some porcupines as well (the stuffing without the veg
outside) for which ever wayward grandchild shows up.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 19:06:37 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 00:50:35 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sun 10 Jan 2010 05:32:53p, Lou Decruss told us...

>>> Wow.. I can see why you usually get green then. Another sweet pepper
>>> common around here year round is sold as "ancient" but from what I can
>>> tell it's actually a ramiro. They're actually a bit sweeter than a
>>> bell and cheaper. They're great in salads or sauted for sausage
>>> sandwiches. They're too long and skinny to stuff though. The Mexi
>>> and Italian places always have them.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>

>>Hmm... In spite of all the Mexican markets in the area, I don't remember
>>seeing those.

> <http://www.hedonsalads.co.uk/cms_media/images/stuffed_ramiro_peppers.jpg>
>
> Lou

i think i've seen them, but i assumed they were hot. don't recall what
variety they were labeled.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 18:37:11 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:46:54 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>>

>>> The prices are weird. We just stopped at the store for a few things
>>> and I looked at the prices. Reds were $.98 and greens were $1.49.
>>> Very odd. Usually it's the other way around by a big margin. I've
>>> seen reds as high as $3.99. <ouch>

>>I have my own personal theory on this. Red are more expensive because
>>they take longer to grow, are more fragile and have a shorter shelf life.
>>
>>But since they have a shorter shelf life, what does the grocer do when
>>it getting towards the end of their life? Sell them off cheap! It
>>works on me. If I'm shopping for a green, and see that the red are
>>cheaper, I'll buy those instead.

> Some people say they taste the same but I find the reds to be sweeter.
> I too prefer them.
>
> Lou

that's my experience as well. but paying two or three times as much for
the reds is not in the cards for me. sometimes the prices swing down, as
you and others have noted.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 11:51*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
> made. *I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
> make. *I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. *I can use
> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. *Or use the
> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta. *
>
> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. *What's usually served with
> stuffed peppers? *Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
> American thing?
>
> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.
>
> TIA,
>
> Lou *

I make stuffed peppers with a browned ground beef and rice mixture - I
usually put in some diced canned tomatoes (drained), or herbed tomato
sauce, diced onion and celery, and layer the top with shredded Cheddar
cheese. Stand up in a loaf pan and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
(These freeze very well.)

To go with: a fruit salad for a cold, fresh contrast to the peppers.
Crusty country bread or dinner rolls. That's all.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:19:52 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 18:37:11 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:46:54 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>>>I have my own personal theory on this. Red are more expensive because
>>>they take longer to grow, are more fragile and have a shorter shelf life.
>>>
>>>But since they have a shorter shelf life, what does the grocer do when
>>>it getting towards the end of their life? Sell them off cheap! It
>>>works on me. If I'm shopping for a green, and see that the red are
>>>cheaper, I'll buy those instead.

>> Some people say they taste the same but I find the reds to be sweeter.
>> I too prefer them.
>>
>> Lou

>that's my experience as well. but paying two or three times as much for
>the reds is not in the cards for me. sometimes the prices swing down, as
>you and others have noted.

That's usually when you're buying them locally and "in season", not
the fancy imported stuff during winter.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 19:01:58 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks to you and everyone else who responded. Seems bread is the
>>> winner so I've got a loaf going and I'm going to make a gorgonzola
>>> sauce. Should be a nice simple dinner.

>> One of my favorite winter comfort foods. I haven't made stuffed
>> peppers in a bit so you've given me the bug.
>>
>> nancy

> Usually I'm the one getting inspired by what I read here. Many
> mornings I'll sit down here with a cup of coffee with no plans for
> dinner and I'll read something and the plan is made. <g>
>
> These turned out really well although it seems there's nothing
> authentic about them. Authenticity isn't important to me as long as
> whatever I make tastes good. I've only made stuffed peppers a few
> times and never with Italian sausage. Along with the rice and sausage
> there was peccorino and mozzarella, onion and garlic. I didn't add
> any additional spices as I figured my sausage had plenty and I was
> right. As per the recipe I roughly followed I parboiled the peppers
> for 5 minutes but they actually could have gone about two more
> minutes. That would be the only flaw in the outcome. The birthday
> girl said she would prefer red sauce over gorgonzola so I topped the
> peppers with some and put the rest in the baking dish. It worked out
> perfectly. The french bread also came out perfect. I've never
> steamed the oven before and what a difference it made.
>
> I'm really glad I asked here because I think I would have made way too
> much food. The bread was just enough. We each had one pepper and
> some bread and we were both stuffed.
>
> Someone mentioned they didn't consider this a "company" meal and that
> may be true but I'll say this was actually a very attractive and
> flavorful meal. I had steaks, shrimp and other more "fancy" things to
> work with but this was a change of pace. We had some great steaks
> last Tuesday anyway. By the time you grind the meat, make and brown
> the sausage, prepare the peppers, and make the bread it's actually a
> fairly time consuming meal. She appreciated the gesture. And our
> entertainment budget is shot so going out was not an option. I was
> pushing the envelope with flowers.

It's been too damn frigid to venture out anyways, Lou...glad everything
turned out well...!!!

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 22:57:01 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 16:46:27 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > Thank you. I don't know if you saw my more recent post, but I will
>> >be taking a blogging break for a while. I've been doing so more
>> >sporadically lately anyway, and we have a lot on our plates at the
>> >moment. For instance trying to get our living room, dining room,
>> >hallway and bedroom painted in two days. And yes, I know it's not going
>> >to happen.

>> Painting in a house you live in is never easy. The commercials on tv
>> always show some young starry-eyed couple in and empty room admiring
>> their work and having so much fun doing it. They don't show the
>> realities like what a pita painting a ceiling is. Or the work of
>> sanding and patching the walls. Or the furniture in the middle of the
>> room covered in plastic. Or the paint drips on the carpet. Not to
>> mention kids running around knocking stuff over and the dog wagging
>> it's tail on the wet walls. Ugggg.

> We're almost finished with the living room. The priority is the
>ceilings, though, because the reason we were trying to do this now was
>that the date for our floors being sanded and finished was moved up.
>The fellow comes Tuesday morning. So, tomorrow night our goal is to get
>the dining room, hall and our bedroom ceilings done. We'll see how it
>goes.

I'll root for ya. Deadlines suck but some folks do ok under pressure.

> We could have had this finished this past summer, it's a long story
>as to why we ended up putting it on hold, but I sure wish we had pushed
>through anyway.

That's usually me in December trying to get the snowblower going on
the first snow of the year kicking myself in the ass for not tuning it
up in October.

>> >There are a lot of recipes on the blog, though. I've tried to tag
>> >them all with recipes to make them easier to find.

>> I just looked for a few minutes and will return later. I did see you
>> had Hot Italian Giardinera on your relish try for Thanksgiving. I
>> thought that was hard to get outside the Chicago area. Do you
>> remember what brand you had? I love the stuff.

> It was Mezzetta and it is common in our area (PNW).

Oh yes. That's here too. It's good.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 08:27:21 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 16:41:52 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
>> > wrote:

>>> I see mostly bread crumbs or rice with maybe a little meat. Ours is
>>>meat with a little rice. I have yet to see that, but perhaps the Polish
>>>make theirs that way.

>> I made these heavy on the sausage. The rice seemed to act as a binder
>> along with the cheese. I know it sounds weird and sheldon may yap
>> TIAD but they were delicious.
>>
>> Lou

>I use the same stuffing mixture for golumki's (spelling?) and paprikas
>(cabbage and peppers). Ground beef, rice, egg, a little bread crumbs,
>worcheshire sauce, spices (salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, and whatever else
>hits me when I'm mixing it) and tomato sauce. Mix it together, stuff it in
>the uncooked, hollowed out peppers (or blanched cabbage leaves) and either
>place them in the crockpot (another thread) or layer them in the roaster.
>Pour a layer of sauce in the bottom before and cover with sauce after
>filling the pan. In the crock, can leave for 6-8 hours, in the roaster,
>maybe two, but check the roaster to see that they aren't drying out. If
>they look a little dry, add some watered down tomato sauce.

The crockpot sounds interesting. I'd like the peppers to be a bit
softer that these were.

Thanks.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:16:35 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 19:06:37 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 00:50:35 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun 10 Jan 2010 05:32:53p, Lou Decruss told us...

>>>Hmm... In spite of all the Mexican markets in the area, I don't remember
>>>seeing those.

>> <http://www.hedonsalads.co.uk/cms_media/images/stuffed_ramiro_peppers.jpg>
>>
>> Lou

>i think i've seen them, but i assumed they were hot. don't recall what
>variety they were labeled.

I don't even know how I found out they were sweet. Another confusing
pepper is the banana. It's sweet but looks just the hungarian wax
which is pretty darn hot. I love them all!

So many peppers-so little time.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:19:52 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 18:37:11 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:46:54 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>>>I have my own personal theory on this. Red are more expensive because
>>>they take longer to grow, are more fragile and have a shorter shelf life.
>>>
>>>But since they have a shorter shelf life, what does the grocer do when
>>>it getting towards the end of their life? Sell them off cheap! It
>>>works on me. If I'm shopping for a green, and see that the red are
>>>cheaper, I'll buy those instead.

>> Some people say they taste the same but I find the reds to be sweeter.
>> I too prefer them.
>>
>> Lou

>that's my experience as well. but paying two or three times as much for
>the reds is not in the cards for me. sometimes the prices swing down, as
>you and others have noted.

Yep. I decide what I'm buying when I see the current prices. I make a
salad that's in the signature dishes page of the RFC site. I have
green pepper listed because that's what's usually cheapest. If I'm
making the dish for company I'll splurge and get a red and a yellow to
make the salad look "pretty." Otherwise whatever is cheapest is fine.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:55:58 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>On Jan 9, 11:51*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
>> made. *I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
>> make. *I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
>> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. *I can use
>> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. *Or use the
>> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta. *
>>
>> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. *What's usually served with
>> stuffed peppers? *Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
>> American thing?
>>
>> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Lou *

>I make stuffed peppers with a browned ground beef and rice mixture - I
>usually put in some diced canned tomatoes (drained), or herbed tomato
>sauce, diced onion and celery, and layer the top with shredded Cheddar
>cheese.

Cheddar didn't sound good in the recipe I looked at.

>Stand up in a loaf pan and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
>(These freeze very well.)
>
>To go with: a fruit salad for a cold, fresh contrast to the peppers.
>Crusty country bread or dinner rolls. That's all.

Bread seems to be the common opinion.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 16:42:34 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:

>> I'm really glad I asked here because I think I would have made way too
>> much food. The bread was just enough. We each had one pepper and
>> some bread and we were both stuffed.
>>
>> Someone mentioned they didn't consider this a "company" meal and that
>> may be true but I'll say this was actually a very attractive and
>> flavorful meal. I had steaks, shrimp and other more "fancy" things to
>> work with but this was a change of pace. We had some great steaks
>> last Tuesday anyway. By the time you grind the meat, make and brown
>> the sausage, prepare the peppers, and make the bread it's actually a
>> fairly time consuming meal. She appreciated the gesture. And our
>> entertainment budget is shot so going out was not an option. I was
>> pushing the envelope with flowers.

>It's been too damn frigid to venture out anyways, Lou...glad everything
>turned out well...!!!

Thanks. We're only half way through winter. <sigh>

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 16:42:34 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> I'm really glad I asked here because I think I would have made way
>>> too much food. The bread was just enough. We each had one pepper
>>> and some bread and we were both stuffed.
>>>
>>> Someone mentioned they didn't consider this a "company" meal and
>>> that may be true but I'll say this was actually a very attractive
>>> and flavorful meal. I had steaks, shrimp and other more "fancy"
>>> things to work with but this was a change of pace. We had some
>>> great steaks last Tuesday anyway. By the time you grind the meat,
>>> make and brown the sausage, prepare the peppers, and make the bread
>>> it's actually a fairly time consuming meal. She appreciated the
>>> gesture. And our entertainment budget is shot so going out was not
>>> an option. I was pushing the envelope with flowers.

>> It's been too damn frigid to venture out anyways, Lou...glad
>> everything turned out well...!!!

> Thanks. We're only half way through winter. <sigh>

Between the cold winter and tight wallets it's dead as doornail out there.
Put on a big gumbo spread for New Year's Day at our corner bar, *TWO* peeps
actually ate any food, it was empty that day and also for NYE...pretty much
the same everywhere. I'm using some of the gumbo leftover stuff for the
gang tonight, at least we had LOTS of leftovers, lol...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> >I make stuffed peppers with a browned ground beef and rice mixture - I
> >usually put in some diced canned tomatoes (drained), or herbed tomato
> >sauce, diced onion and celery, and layer the top with shredded Cheddar
> >cheese. *

> Cheddar didn't sound good in the recipe I looked at. *

....well, it really, really tastes good ;-) It's always the cook's
choice which cheese to use.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
>>> I make stuffed peppers with a browned ground beef and rice mixture
>>> - I usually put in some diced canned tomatoes (drained), or herbed
>>> tomato sauce, diced onion and celery, and layer the top with
>>> shredded Cheddar cheese.

>> Cheddar didn't sound good in the recipe I looked at.

> ...well, it really, really tastes good ;-) It's always the cook's
> choice which cheese to use.
>
> N.

I always top my stuffed peppers with shredded cheddar, then sauce.
Wouldn't seem the same without it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 07:51:18 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>> >I make stuffed peppers with a browned ground beef and rice mixture - I
>> >usually put in some diced canned tomatoes (drained), or herbed tomato
>> >sauce, diced onion and celery, and layer the top with shredded Cheddar
>> >cheese. *

>> Cheddar didn't sound good in the recipe I looked at. *

>...well, it really, really tastes good ;-) It's always the cook's
>choice which cheese to use.

Oh no. I'm sorry that didn't come out right. It sounds good the way
you make them. I didn't think it sounded good with Italian sausage
though.

So sorry I wasn't clear.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:15:48 -0500, "Dora" > wrote:

>>> Cheddar didn't sound good in the recipe I looked at.

>> ...well, it really, really tastes good ;-) It's always the cook's
>> choice which cheese to use.
>>
>> N.

>I always top my stuffed peppers with shredded cheddar, then sauce.
>Wouldn't seem the same without it!

All the different ways of making these sound so fun for something so
simple. I can't wait to make them again. I'll probably go more along
the lines of how many of you folks make them just to see.

Thanks again to all those who replied!

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:21:18 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> It's been too damn frigid to venture out anyways, Lou...glad
>>> everything turned out well...!!!

>> Thanks. We're only half way through winter. <sigh>

>Between the cold winter and tight wallets it's dead as doornail out there.

January is always dead. Yesterday we did a trip that normally takes
over an hour in non rush hour. It took 40 minutes. There's just no
traffic.

>Put on a big gumbo spread for New Year's Day at our corner bar, *TWO* peeps
>actually ate any food, it was empty that day and also for NYE...pretty much
>the same everywhere. I'm using some of the gumbo leftover stuff for the
>gang tonight, at least we had LOTS of leftovers, lol...

Leftovers are a pita to have around. Hopefully your group will eat
them ALL!

Lo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:38:29 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:19:52 -0500, blake murphy
> > wrote:

>>> Some people say they taste the same but I find the reds to be sweeter.
>>> I too prefer them.
>>>
>>> Lou

>>that's my experience as well. but paying two or three times as much for
>>the reds is not in the cards for me. sometimes the prices swing down, as
>>you and others have noted.

> Yep. I decide what I'm buying when I see the current prices. I make a
> salad that's in the signature dishes page of the RFC site. I have
> green pepper listed because that's what's usually cheapest. If I'm
> making the dish for company I'll splurge and get a red and a yellow to
> make the salad look "pretty." Otherwise whatever is cheapest is fine.
>
> Lou

usually when i buy peppers of any color it's to make this dish:

(korean) broiled mixed meats (juhn kol)

about one pound meat boned and cut into thin steaks and then into steaks
the size maybe of half your palm (i usually use a nice strip steak or
something - maybe that's why i haven't cooked this recently) (the book
also suggests pork steaklets or even small hamburger patties)

vegetables (sliced summer squash, mushrooms, green pepper cut into flat
pieces, white part of scallions, eggplant, or similar - think of vegetables
prepared as for shish kabob)

marinate the meat and vegetables in the following mixture for 2 hours (3-4
is better):

1/2 cup soy sauce
4 tbls sugar
2 tbls oil
1/2 cup chopped scallions (i chop the green part and cook the white part)
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 tsp dried ground chili peppers (i use red pepper flakes)
4 tbls ground toasted sesame seeds (this would be about 2 tbls seeds
toasted and then mortared)
1 tbls flour.

shake it up baby, etc., and a couple hours later broil meat and vegetables
quickly however you usually broil meat. keep an eye on, though, they cook
pretty quick. the green peppers are excellent.

(adapted from myra waldo's 'the complete book of oriental cooking')

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> Cheddar didn't sound good in the recipe I looked at.

>> ...well, it really, really tastes good ;-) It's always the cook's
>> choice which cheese to use.
>>
>> N.

>I always top my stuffed peppers with shredded cheddar, then sauce.
>Wouldn't seem the same without it!

I like cheddar, but not on everything or even most things. I tend to
use a white cheese (not white cheddar), which one depends on what's on
hand.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:57:09 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:38:29 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

>> Yep. I decide what I'm buying when I see the current prices. I make a
>> salad that's in the signature dishes page of the RFC site. I have
>> green pepper listed because that's what's usually cheapest. If I'm
>> making the dish for company I'll splurge and get a red and a yellow to
>> make the salad look "pretty." Otherwise whatever is cheapest is fine.
>>
>> Lou

>usually when i buy peppers of any color it's to make this dish:
>
>(korean) broiled mixed meats (juhn kol)
>
>about one pound meat boned and cut into thin steaks and then into steaks
>the size maybe of half your palm (i usually use a nice strip steak or
>something - maybe that's why i haven't cooked this recently) (the book
>also suggests pork steaklets or even small hamburger patties)
>
>vegetables (sliced summer squash, mushrooms, green pepper cut into flat
>pieces, white part of scallions, eggplant, or similar - think of vegetables
>prepared as for shish kabob)
>
>marinate the meat and vegetables in the following mixture for 2 hours (3-4
>is better):
>
>1/2 cup soy sauce
>4 tbls sugar
>2 tbls oil
>1/2 cup chopped scallions (i chop the green part and cook the white part)
>2 minced garlic cloves
>1/2 tsp dried ground chili peppers (i use red pepper flakes)
>4 tbls ground toasted sesame seeds (this would be about 2 tbls seeds
>toasted and then mortared)
>1 tbls flour.
>
>shake it up baby, etc., and a couple hours later broil meat and vegetables
>quickly however you usually broil meat. keep an eye on, though, they cook
>pretty quick. the green peppers are excellent.
>
>(adapted from myra waldo's 'the complete book of oriental cooking')
>
>your pal,
>blake

Sounds good. Do you serve with rice or noodles? Actually I'd think
it might be good on a soft roll.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 00:18:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Tue 12 Jan 2010 11:57:09a, blake murphy told us...
>
>> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:38:29 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:19:52 -0500, blake murphy

>>> Yep. I decide what I'm buying when I see the current prices. I make a
>>> salad that's in the signature dishes page of the RFC site. I have
>>> green pepper listed because that's what's usually cheapest. If I'm
>>> making the dish for company I'll splurge and get a red and a yellow to
>>> make the salad look "pretty." Otherwise whatever is cheapest is fine.
>>>
>>> Lou

>> usually when i buy peppers of any color it's to make this dish:
>>
>> (korean) broiled mixed meats (juhn kol)
>>
>> about one pound meat boned and cut into thin steaks and then into steaks
>> the size maybe of half your palm (i usually use a nice strip steak or
>> something - maybe that's why i haven't cooked this recently) (the book
>> also suggests pork steaklets or even small hamburger patties)
>>
>> vegetables (sliced summer squash, mushrooms, green pepper cut into flat
>> pieces, white part of scallions, eggplant, or similar - think of
>> vegetables prepared as for shish kabob)
>>
>> marinate the meat and vegetables in the following mixture for 2 hours
>> (3-4 is better):
>>
>> 1/2 cup soy sauce
>> 4 tbls sugar
>> 2 tbls oil
>> 1/2 cup chopped scallions (i chop the green part and cook the white
>> part) 2 minced garlic cloves
>> 1/2 tsp dried ground chili peppers (i use red pepper flakes)
>> 4 tbls ground toasted sesame seeds (this would be about 2 tbls seeds
>> toasted and then mortared)
>> 1 tbls flour.
>>
>> shake it up baby, etc., and a couple hours later broil meat and
>> vegetables quickly however you usually broil meat. keep an eye on,
>> though, they cook pretty quick. the green peppers are excellent.
>>
>> (adapted from myra waldo's 'the complete book of oriental cooking')
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>>

> This is something I'd like, Blake. Copied and saved. Thanks for posting!

it is really good. in the 70's, i was part of a sequestered jury and was
out of my house (except to do laundry) eating mostly half-assed hotel and
cafeteria food for 46 days. this is the first thing i made when i got
home.

let me know if david eats any.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:16:21 -0600, Lou decruss wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:57:09 -0500, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:38:29 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> Yep. I decide what I'm buying when I see the current prices. I make a
>>> salad that's in the signature dishes page of the RFC site. I have
>>> green pepper listed because that's what's usually cheapest. If I'm
>>> making the dish for company I'll splurge and get a red and a yellow to
>>> make the salad look "pretty." Otherwise whatever is cheapest is fine.
>>>
>>> Lou

>>usually when i buy peppers of any color it's to make this dish:
>>
>>(korean) broiled mixed meats (juhn kol)
>>
>>about one pound meat boned and cut into thin steaks and then into steaks
>>the size maybe of half your palm (i usually use a nice strip steak or
>>something - maybe that's why i haven't cooked this recently) (the book
>>also suggests pork steaklets or even small hamburger patties)
>>
>>vegetables (sliced summer squash, mushrooms, green pepper cut into flat
>>pieces, white part of scallions, eggplant, or similar - think of vegetables
>>prepared as for shish kabob)
>>
>>marinate the meat and vegetables in the following mixture for 2 hours (3-4
>>is better):
>>
>>1/2 cup soy sauce
>>4 tbls sugar
>>2 tbls oil
>>1/2 cup chopped scallions (i chop the green part and cook the white part)
>>2 minced garlic cloves
>>1/2 tsp dried ground chili peppers (i use red pepper flakes)
>>4 tbls ground toasted sesame seeds (this would be about 2 tbls seeds
>>toasted and then mortared)
>>1 tbls flour.
>>
>>shake it up baby, etc., and a couple hours later broil meat and vegetables
>>quickly however you usually broil meat. keep an eye on, though, they cook
>>pretty quick. the green peppers are excellent.
>>
>>(adapted from myra waldo's 'the complete book of oriental cooking')
>>
>>your pal,
>>blake

> Sounds good. Do you serve with rice or noodles? Actually I'd think
> it might be good on a soft roll.
>
> Lou

sloppy menu planner that i am, i usually just eat it all by it's lonesome.
(i don't usually make rice for my stir-fries, either.)

it would make a decent sandwich, though, because it's not at all bad the
next day at room temp.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 00:52:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 13 Jan 2010 12:12:35p, blake murphy told us...
>
>> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 00:18:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue 12 Jan 2010 11:57:09a, blake murphy told us...

>>> This is something I'd like, Blake. Copied and saved. Thanks for

> posting!
>>
>> it is really good. in the 70's, i was part of a sequestered jury and was
>> out of my house (except to do laundry) eating mostly half-assed hotel and
>> cafeteria food for 46 days. this is the first thing i made when i got
>> home.
>>
>> let me know if david eats any.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>>

> I can tell you before I make it that the only thing in the dish David might
> eat is the meat. :-) His vegetables are limited to green peas, potatoes,
> carrots, and corn. Sad, isn't it?
>
> However, I shall make it for myself and I'm sure I will enjoy it!

i hope you do.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> Cheddar didn't sound good in the recipe I looked at.

>> ...well, it really, really tastes good ;-) It's always the cook's
>> choice which cheese to use.
>>
>> N.

>I always top my stuffed peppers with shredded cheddar, then sauce.
>Wouldn't seem the same without it!

Agreed. Last batch we made I used extra sharp cheddar---you know, the
stuff that crumbles so easily when you try to cut it. Wonderful!

Also, in place of white rice I used coarsely shredded baby carrots for
that batch. Gave it a nice crunch and didn't spike my blood sugar the
way that rice does. The wife didn't care for it (she really likes
rice) but MIL and daughter enjoyed it!

Terry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:

> Also, in place of white rice I used coarsely shredded baby carrots
> for
> that batch. Gave it a nice crunch and didn't spike my blood sugar
> the
> way that rice does. The wife didn't care for it (she really likes
> rice) but MIL and daughter enjoyed it!
>
> Terry

I like the sound of that. Thanks!
Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 00:52:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 13 Jan 2010 12:12:35p, blake murphy told us...

>> let me know if david eats any.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>>

>I can tell you before I make it that the only thing in the dish David might
>eat is the meat. :-) His vegetables are limited to green peas, potatoes,
>carrots, and corn. Sad, isn't it?

Does he eat any fruit?

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 06:22:29 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Thu 14 Jan 2010 06:44:46p, Lou Decruss told us...
>
>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 00:52:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed 13 Jan 2010 12:12:35p, blake murphy told us...

>>>I can tell you before I make it that the only thing in the dish David
>>>might eat is the meat. :-) His vegetables are limited to green peas,
>>>potatoes, carrots, and corn. Sad, isn't it?

>> Does he eat any fruit?
>>
>> Lou
>>

>Applesauce, bananas, and diced canned peaches...sometimes.

Oh my! Gerber brand? <EG>

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:23:04 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 06:22:29 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Thu 14 Jan 2010 06:44:46p, Lou Decruss told us...
>>
>>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 00:52:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>>> Does he eat any fruit?
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>

>>Applesauce, bananas, and diced canned peaches...sometimes.

> Oh my! Gerber brand? <EG>
>
> Lou

<snort>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 06:52:09 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Fri 15 Jan 2010 12:23:04p, Lou Decruss told us...
>
>> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 06:22:29 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Thu 14 Jan 2010 06:44:46p, Lou Decruss told us...

>>>Applesauce, bananas, and diced canned peaches...sometimes.

>> Oh my! Gerber brand? <EG>
>>
>> Lou
>>

> Yes, the Junior food line. :-)

strained, not stirred.

your pal,
blake

Stuffed Peppers Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 25-04-2006 04:58 AM
Stuffed Peppers CookiesFromItaly.com Recipes (moderated) 0 28-04-2005 03:40 AM
Stuffed Peppers Duckie ® Recipes 0 06-03-2005 05:08 AM
Stuffed Peppers Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 06-05-2004 01:51 AM