FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cacique® Chorizo and eggs for breakfast (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/392318-cacique-chorizo-eggs-breakfast.html)

jay[_350_] 24-12-2009 02:39 PM

Cacique® Chorizo and eggs for breakfast

Scary list of..

INGREDIENTS:

Pork [salivary glands, lymph nodes, fat (cheeks)],

chorizo seasoning (paprika, salt, spices, mustard, garlic powder),
vinegar, textured soy flour, sodium nitrite.

with eggs. Delicioso!

jay

Jean B.[_1_] 24-12-2009 04:20 PM

jay wrote:
> Scary list of..
>
> INGREDIENTS:
>
> Pork [salivary glands, lymph nodes, fat (cheeks)],
>
> chorizo seasoning (paprika, salt, spices, mustard, garlic powder),
> vinegar, textured soy flour, sodium nitrite.
>

> with eggs. Delicioso!
>

> jay

That's enough to make me want to make it myself. I have recipes
squirreled away, and it seems to be quite easy.

Hmmm. How has soy crept into this?

--
Jean B.

Paul M. Cook 24-12-2009 07:24 PM

"jay" > wrote in message
> Scary list of..
>
> INGREDIENTS:
>
> Pork [salivary glands, lymph nodes, fat (cheeks)],
>
> chorizo seasoning (paprika, salt, spices, mustard, garlic powder),
> vinegar, textured soy flour, sodium nitrite.
>

> with eggs. Delicioso!

Yep, I eat it all the time. I love it with hot corn tortillas.

Paul

dsi1[_7_] 24-12-2009 08:57 PM

On 12/24/2009 4:39 AM, jay wrote:
> Scary list of..
>
> INGREDIENTS:
>
> Pork [salivary glands, lymph nodes, fat (cheeks)],
>
> chorizo seasoning (paprika, salt, spices, mustard, garlic powder),
> vinegar, textured soy flour, sodium nitrite.
>

> with eggs. Delicioso!

I like the chorizo but this Mexican style is a little tough to handle.
The sausage looks great in the package but the ingredients always make
me put that sausage back in the display case. What's it like to eat one
of these?

dsi1[_7_] 24-12-2009 09:02 PM

On 12/24/2009 6:20 AM, Jean B. wrote:
> jay wrote:
>> Scary list of..
>>
>> INGREDIENTS:
>>
>> Pork [salivary glands, lymph nodes, fat (cheeks)],
>>
>> chorizo seasoning (paprika, salt, spices, mustard, garlic powder),
>> vinegar, textured soy flour, sodium nitrite.
>>

>> with eggs. Delicioso!
>>

>> jay
>>

> That's enough to make me want to make it myself. I have recipes
> squirreled away, and it seems to be quite easy.
>
> Hmmm. How has soy crept into this?

In sausage like this I don't mind a little soy flour and TVP. How about
96.5% or so to start? :-)

Soybeans were big stuff in the 70s with my friend in the School of
Tropical Agriculture. I though those guys were always slackers for
choosing that field of study - I was right too. :-) They thought soy was
gonna be the food of the future. Looks like they were right! :-)

Jean B.[_1_] 24-12-2009 09:13 PM

dsi1 wrote:
> On 12/24/2009 6:20 AM, Jean B. wrote:
>> jay wrote:
>>> Scary list of..
>>>
>>> INGREDIENTS:
>>>
>>> Pork [salivary glands, lymph nodes, fat (cheeks)],
>>>
>>> chorizo seasoning (paprika, salt, spices, mustard, garlic powder),
>>> vinegar, textured soy flour, sodium nitrite.
>>>

>>> with eggs. Delicioso!
>>>

>>> jay
>>>

>> That's enough to make me want to make it myself. I have recipes
>> squirreled away, and it seems to be quite easy.
>>
>> Hmmm. How has soy crept into this?
>>

> In sausage like this I don't mind a little soy flour and TVP. How about
> 96.5% or so to start? :-)
>
> Soybeans were big stuff in the 70s with my friend in the School of
> Tropical Agriculture. I though those guys were always slackers for
> choosing that field of study - I was right too. :-) They thought soy was
> gonna be the food of the future. Looks like they were right! :-)

Well, as far as sales and making money goes. Other than that, I
think this overconsumption of soy is extremely unwise.

--
Jean B.

dsi1[_7_] 24-12-2009 09:35 PM

On 12/24/2009 11:13 AM, Jean B. wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

>>> That's enough to make me want to make it myself. I have recipes
>>> squirreled away, and it seems to be quite easy.
>>>
>>> Hmmm. How has soy crept into this?
>>>

>> In sausage like this I don't mind a little soy flour and TVP. How
>> about 96.5% or so to start? :-)
>>
>> Soybeans were big stuff in the 70s with my friend in the School of
>> Tropical Agriculture. I though those guys were always slackers for
>> choosing that field of study - I was right too. :-) They thought soy
>> was gonna be the food of the future. Looks like they were right! :-)
>>

> Well, as far as sales and making money goes. Other than that, I think
> this overconsumption of soy is extremely unwise.

I don't have any opinion in this matter since I haven't noticed any
overconsumption or reports of any problems with soy. However, I'll keep
on the lookout for this. It's likely that you're correct that there is
soy in a lot of foods we eat. The reason this is true is that the
economics favor it. These days, the money factor seems to be of primary
concern. It's the reason we have HFCS as the sweetener of choice and the
soon-to-be ubiquitous Talapia as the generic whitefish of choice. This
is our future it seems.

Jean B.[_1_] 25-12-2009 12:32 AM

dsi1 wrote:
> On 12/24/2009 11:13 AM, Jean B. wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> In sausage like this I don't mind a little soy flour and TVP. How
>>> about 96.5% or so to start? :-)
>>>
>>> Soybeans were big stuff in the 70s with my friend in the School of
>>> Tropical Agriculture. I though those guys were always slackers for
>>> choosing that field of study - I was right too. :-) They thought soy
>>> was gonna be the food of the future. Looks like they were right! :-)
>>>

>> Well, as far as sales and making money goes. Other than that, I think
>> this overconsumption of soy is extremely unwise.

> I don't have any opinion in this matter since I haven't noticed any
> overconsumption or reports of any problems with soy. However, I'll keep
> on the lookout for this. It's likely that you're correct that there is
> soy in a lot of foods we eat. The reason this is true is that the
> economics favor it. These days, the money factor seems to be of primary
> concern. It's the reason we have HFCS as the sweetener of choice and the
> soon-to-be ubiquitous Talapia as the generic whitefish of choice. This
> is our future it seems.

Well, I don't have to consume any of these things, so I take pains
to avoid them.

--
Jean B.

jay[_350_] 25-12-2009 12:33 AM

dsi1 wrote:
> On 12/24/2009 4:39 AM, jay wrote:
>> Scary list of..
>>
>> INGREDIENTS:
>>
>> Pork [salivary glands, lymph nodes, fat (cheeks)],
>>
>> chorizo seasoning (paprika, salt, spices, mustard, garlic powder),
>> vinegar, textured soy flour, sodium nitrite.
>>

>> with eggs. Delicioso!

> I like the chorizo but this Mexican style is a little tough to handle.
> The sausage looks great in the package but the ingredients always make
> me put that sausage back in the display case. What's it like to eat one
> of these?

Good with eggs with much fat to render. I am currently on a quest to
discover all the glory of chorizo.. trying 'em all. I wouldn't buy this
one again.

jay

Pete C. 25-12-2009 03:33 AM

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 08:39:33 -0600, jay wrote:
>
> > Scary list of..
> >
> > INGREDIENTS:
> >
> > Pork [salivary glands, lymph nodes, fat (cheeks)],
> >
> > chorizo seasoning (paprika, salt, spices, mustard, garlic powder),
> > vinegar, textured soy flour, sodium nitrite.
> >
> > with eggs. Delicioso!

> Maybe after this you can head on over to Sheldon's rusted Airstream
> and have some SPAM for lunch.
>
> -sw

er, Airstreams are aluminum and aluminum doesn't rust.

dsi1[_9_] 25-12-2009 05:19 AM

On 12/24/2009 5:33 PM, Pete C. wrote:

> er, Airstreams are aluminum and aluminum doesn't rust.

On a practical level, you're right. Technically, aluminum will corrode
almost instantly on exposure to air. The thin layer of aluminum "rust"
retards the further oxidation of the metal quite effectively.

jay[_350_] 25-12-2009 06:57 PM

jay[_350_] 26-12-2009 12:43 AM

http://www.elyucateco.com/

Becca 26-12-2009 05:07 PM

jay wrote:

> http://www.elyucateco.com/

Monday, we bought a bottle of the Chile Habanero salsa at a Mexican
grocer, we bought the verde, the green one. We had it on eggs, it
tastes pretty good. It is hot, though.

Becca

Janet Bostwick[_2_] 26-12-2009 05:40 PM

"Becca" > wrote in message
> jay wrote:
>>
>> http://www.elyucateco.com/
>>

> Monday, we bought a bottle of the Chile Habanero salsa at a Mexican
> grocer, we bought the verde, the green one. We had it on eggs, it tastes
> pretty good. It is hot, though.
>
> Becca

I'm just reading through the seed catalogs that have been delivered. I
noticed a new seed for Habanero. It says it has all the flavors but only a
Scoville rating of 100. I like the flavor, but not the pain. I'm tempted
to grow it to see.
Janet

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 26-12-2009 06:05 PM

Janet wrote:

> I'm just reading through the seed catalogs that have been delivered. I
> noticed a new seed for Habanero. It says it has all the flavors but only
> a Scoville rating of 100. I like the flavor, but not the pain. I'm
> tempted to grow it to see.

If you do that, please report how it went! The habanero flavor is unlike
other chiles, and it would be nice to have the option of a lesser heat along
with that flavor.

Bob

Janet Bostwick[_2_] 26-12-2009 06:22 PM

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Janet wrote:
>
>> I'm just reading through the seed catalogs that have been delivered. I
>> noticed a new seed for Habanero. It says it has all the flavors but only
>> a Scoville rating of 100. I like the flavor, but not the pain. I'm
>> tempted to grow it to see.

> If you do that, please report how it went! The habanero flavor is unlike
> other chiles, and it would be nice to have the option of a lesser heat
> along
> with that flavor.
>
> Bob

Will do. I would expect, though, that there will be a lot of nay-saying and
debate about the flavor. My experience is limited. I'm not sure that I get
a good flavor profile through all that burn.
Janet

jay[_350_] 26-12-2009 08:56 PM

Becca wrote:
> jay wrote:
>>
>> http://www.elyucateco.com/
>>

> Monday, we bought a bottle of the Chile Habanero salsa at a Mexican
> grocer, we bought the verde

The red one I have is hotter than the green one. Nice flavor though.
Both are colored artificially. Red #40 or Yellow #5. They could leave
off the coloring AFAIAC.

jay

Lou Decruss[_3_] 28-12-2009 04:01 PM

Cacique® Chorizo and eggs for breakfast

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 09:04:59 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 21:33:12 -0600, Pete C. wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe after this you can head on over to Sheldon's rusted Airstream
>>> and have some SPAM for lunch.

>> er, Airstreams are aluminum and aluminum doesn't rust.

>Airstreams are maybe 3% aluminum by weight. They leaves plenty of
>material to rust.

That reminds me of the stainless steel Weber grills. The frame is not
stainless. So in ten years you'll have a rust bucket with pretty
doors that cost double what it was worth.

Lou