Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking with a blowtorch

Steve B wrote:
> I have seen the small propane torches used in restaurant cooking to toast
> marshmallow toppings, and other things. I have seen them used to make foods
> more appealing during photography sessions. I have one of these, and I
> have propane and MAPP gases. Does using these small torches impart any
> taste to the foods? Would you use propane or MAPP?
>
> Steve

Use propane. MAPP is more expensive and might have a taste. (I use
an electric heat gun in the kitchen sometimes to brown things. Have
used a propane torch before to roast peppers)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 11:33*am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Steve B wrote:
> > I have seen the small propane torches used in restaurant cooking to toast
> > marshmallow toppings, and other things. *I have seen them used to make foods
> > more appealing during photography sessions. * I have one of these, and I
> > have propane and MAPP gases. *Does using these small torches impart any
> > taste to the foods? *Would you use propane or MAPP?

> > Steve

> Use propane. *MAPP is more expensive and might have a taste. *(I use
> an electric heat gun in the kitchen sometimes to brown things. *Have
> used a propane torch before to roast peppers)
>
> Bob

Just watch for exhaust gas buildup in the house. Carbon Monoxide and
all its friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 9:33*am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Steve B wrote:
> > I have seen the small propane torches used in restaurant cooking to toast
> > marshmallow toppings, and other things. *I have seen them used to make foods
> > more appealing during photography sessions. * I have one of these, and I
> > have propane and MAPP gases. *Does using these small torches impart any
> > taste to the foods? *Would you use propane or MAPP?

> > Steve

> Use propane. *MAPP is more expensive and might have a taste. *(I use
> an electric heat gun in the kitchen sometimes to brown things. *Have
> used a propane torch before to roast peppers)

I use propane torch too, the biggest one that Home Depot sells. Great
for imparting "grilled"/"seared"outside texture/flavour to fish,
meat, desserts, etc.

I got it after I saw Heston Blumenthal swear by it in "Kitchen
Chemistry" as a finishing searing touch to his low temperature, ultra–
slow cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Steve B wrote:
> > I have seen the small propane torches used in restaurant cooking to toast
> > marshmallow toppings, and other things. I have seen them used to make foods
> > more appealing during photography sessions. I have one of these, and I
> > have propane and MAPP gases. Does using these small torches impart any
> > taste to the foods? Would you use propane or MAPP?
> >
> > Steve
> >

> Use propane. MAPP is more expensive and might have a taste. (I use
> an electric heat gun in the kitchen sometimes to brown things. Have
> used a propane torch before to roast peppers)
>
> Bob

MAPP is more expensive, however it is also hotter. It has no taste. I
use MAPP with my Bernz-o-Matic TS4000 for bruleeing my creme brulees and
many other kitchen tasks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:

> I have seen the small propane torches used in restaurant cooking to toast
> marshmallow toppings, and other things. I have seen them used to make foods
> more appealing during photography sessions. I have one of these, and I
> have propane and MAPP gases. Does using these small torches impart any
> taste to the foods?

When doing caramelization the flame definitely alters the flavor of the
sugar. Try comparing powdered sugar to caramel candy side by side to
get a closer experience of the effect.

> Would you use propane or MAPP?

I would use the type of gas the torch was made for because these are
explosive gases and it's dangerous to use them incorrectly. You wrote
that you have a "propane" torch. The terminology is specific and
important and not to be taken as a generic meaning. Use propane for a
propane torch, MAPP gas for a MAPP torch.

Having used both types, the MAPP torches burn hotter. The higher heat
will caramelize the sugar on top of cream brulee' very fast so I think
MAPP torches are better for cream brulee'. Don't be surprized if you
burn one while learning the pace but from there on you'll be making your
cream brulee' with a perfectly browned crispy shell.

Because marshmallows are lighter the less intense flame of a propane
torch might work better. The right tool for the job.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug wrote on Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:45:47 +0000 (UTC):

> Steve B wrote:
>>
>> I have seen the small propane torches used in restaurant
>> cooking to toast marshmallow toppings, and other things. I
>> have seen them used to make foods more appealing during
>> photography sessions. I have one of these, and I have
>> propane and MAPP gases. Does using these small torches
>> impart any taste to the foods?

> When doing caramelization the flame definitely alters the
> flavor of the sugar. Try comparing powdered sugar to caramel
> candy side by side to get a closer experience of the effect.

>> Would you use propane or MAPP?

> I would use the type of gas the torch was made for because
> these are explosive gases and it's dangerous to use them
> incorrectly. You wrote that you have a "propane" torch. The
> terminology is specific and important and not to be taken as a
> generic meaning. Use propane for a propane torch, MAPP gas
> for a MAPP torch.

> Having used both types, the MAPP torches burn hotter. The
> higher heat will caramelize the sugar on top of cream brulee'
> very fast so I think MAPP torches are better for cream
> brulee'. Don't be surprized if you burn one while learning
> the pace but from there on you'll be making your cream brulee'
> with a perfectly browned crispy shell.

I use my workshop blowtorch to char the skins of peppers and eggplants
and achieve a smoky flavor after cooking under the broiler. I do the
charring outdoors, usually on the front doorstep, it only takes a few
seconds :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > wrote in message
> I have seen the small propane torches used in restaurant cooking to toast
> marshmallow toppings, and other things. I have seen them used to make
> foods more appealing during photography sessions. I have one of these,
> and I have propane and MAPP gases. Does using these small torches impart
> any taste to the foods? Would you use propane or MAPP?
>
> Steve

I picked up a small version that resembles one of those long BBQ lighters,
except that the flame is a pretty strong jet. I've only used it to sear fish
and crisp stuff when I was in too much of a hurry to wait for the broiler to
do it. It's one of those 'fun' kitchen tools.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Doug wrote:
>
>> Having used both types, the MAPP torches burn hotter ...

> I use my workshop blowtorch to char the skins of peppers

For peppers burning hotter and faster isn't a good idea. A propane
torch would work better on them.

> and eggplants

I haven't flamed eggplants before. Thanx for the suggestion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:
> I have seen the small propane torches used in restaurant cooking to toast
> marshmallow toppings, and other things. I have seen them used to make foods
> more appealing during photography sessions. I have one of these, and I
> have propane and MAPP gases. Does using these small torches impart any
> taste to the foods? Would you use propane or MAPP?

I just use a regular propane torch. I did a quick web search and the
cheapest kitchen torch was $20. Some are a lot more. You can get a basic
propane torch for less and it you is in the work shop too. Propane
cylinders are cheap and easy to find.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug wrote on Thu, 17 Dec 2009 21:08:42 +0000 (UTC):

> James Silverton wrote:
>> Doug wrote:
>>
>>> Having used both types, the MAPP torches burn hotter ...

>> I use my workshop blowtorch to char the skins of peppers

> For peppers burning hotter and faster isn't a good idea. A
> propane torch would work better on them.

>> and eggplants

>I haven't flamed eggplants before. Thanx for the suggestion.

Roasted Eggplant with Tomato and Onion

(Baingan Bhartha) is good.

There is also
Roasted Eggplant Salad with Capers and Onions

Italians call this caponata.:

Recipes or URLs can be provided on request.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
ostap bender > wrote:

> On Dec 17, 9:33*am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> > Steve B wrote:
> > > I have seen the small propane torches used in restaurant cooking to toast
> > > marshmallow toppings, and other things. *I have seen them used to make
> > > foods
> > > more appealing during photography sessions. * I have one of these, and I
> > > have propane and MAPP gases. *Does using these small torches impart any
> > > taste to the foods? *Would you use propane or MAPP?

> > > Steve

> > Use propane. *MAPP is more expensive and might have a taste. *(I use
> > an electric heat gun in the kitchen sometimes to brown things. *Have
> > used a propane torch before to roast peppers)
> >

> I use propane torch too, the biggest one that Home Depot sells. Great
> for imparting "grilled"/"seared"outside texture/flavour to fish,
> meat, desserts, etc.
>
> I got it after I saw Heston Blumenthal swear by it in "Kitchen
> Chemistry" as a finishing searing touch to his low temperature, ultra*
> slow cooking.

A dedicated kitchen torch is a good thing...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

SquawTX wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:08:14 -0800, Steve B wrote:
>
>> I have seen the small propane torches used in restaurant cooking to toast
>> marshmallow toppings, and other things. I have seen them used to make foods
>> more appealing during photography sessions. I have one of these, and I
>> have propane and MAPP gases. Does using these small torches impart any
>> taste to the foods?

>Not if you use food grain propane.
>
>(Somebody had to do it).

And the dwarf has the noive to rant about my Crystal Palace...
guzzling that _grain_ propane again, eh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:08:14 -0800, Steve B wrote:
>
> > I have seen the small propane torches used in restaurant cooking to toast
> > marshmallow toppings, and other things. I have seen them used to make
> > foods
> > more appealing during photography sessions. I have one of these, and I
> > have propane and MAPP gases. Does using these small torches impart any
> > taste to the foods?

> Not if you use food grain propane.
>
> (Somebody had to do it).
>
> -sw

<schmack>!!!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> SquawTX wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:08:14 -0800, Steve B wrote:
> >
> >> I have seen the small propane torches used in restaurant cooking to toast
> >> marshmallow toppings, and other things. I have seen them used to make
> >> foods
> >> more appealing during photography sessions. I have one of these, and I
> >> have propane and MAPP gases. Does using these small torches impart any
> >> taste to the foods?

> >Not if you use food grain propane.
> >
> >(Somebody had to do it).
> >

> And the dwarf has the noive to rant about my Crystal Palace...
> guzzling that _grain_ propane again, eh.

That was a Thorsonism babe... Did you miss that rather long thread a
couple of years ago? ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 09:38:26 -0800 (PST) in rec.food.cooking, phaeton
> wrote,
>Just watch for exhaust gas buildup in the house. Carbon Monoxide and
>all its friends.

A propane torch burning with a blue flame is not producing carbon
monoxide. Its exhaust is no more dangerous than an indoor gas stove,
and a much smaller quantity of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

>> I use propane torch too, the biggest one that Home Depot sells. Great
>> for imparting "grilled"/"seared"outside texture/flavour to fish,
>> meat, desserts, etc.
>>
>> I got it after I saw Heston Blumenthal swear by it in "Kitchen
>> Chemistry" as a finishing searing touch to his low temperature, ultra*
>> slow cooking.

> A dedicated kitchen torch is a good thing...

Why does it have to be dedicated? I don't use one in the kitchen often
enough to justify getting a second one. It's not like you have to worry
about them getting dirty and contaminating the food. I have more room to
store one in my work shop than in the kitchen, and the odd time I need
it I can easily get it from the shop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> >> I use propane torch too, the biggest one that Home Depot sells. Great
> >> for imparting "grilled"/"seared"outside texture/flavour to fish,
> >> meat, desserts, etc.
> >>
> >> I got it after I saw Heston Blumenthal swear by it in "Kitchen
> >> Chemistry" as a finishing searing touch to his low temperature, ultra*
> >> slow cooking.

> > A dedicated kitchen torch is a good thing...

> Why does it have to be dedicated? I don't use one in the kitchen often
> enough to justify getting a second one. It's not like you have to worry
> about them getting dirty and contaminating the food. I have more room to
> store one in my work shop than in the kitchen, and the odd time I need
> it I can easily get it from the shop.

To each their own. :-)
I also have a dedicated kitchen hacksaw for bones and stuff.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> SquawTX wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:08:14 -0800, Steve B wrote:
>>
>>> I have seen the small propane torches used in restaurant cooking to
>>> toast marshmallow toppings, and other things. I have seen them
>>> used to make foods more appealing during photography sessions. I
>>> have one of these, and I have propane and MAPP gases. Does using
>>> these small torches impart any taste to the foods?

>> Not if you use food grain propane.
>>
>> (Somebody had to do it).
>>

> And the dwarf has the noive to rant about my Crystal Palace...
> guzzling that _grain_ propane again, eh.

<chuckle>

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:08:14 -0800, Steve B wrote:
>
> > I have seen the small propane torches used in restaurant cooking to toast
> > marshmallow toppings, and other things. I have seen them used to make
> > foods
> > more appealing during photography sessions. I have one of these, and I
> > have propane and MAPP gases. Does using these small torches impart any
> > taste to the foods?

> Not if you use food grain propane.
>
> (Somebody had to do it).

Thanks, Steve. I had to sit on my hands all day yesterday, to keep from
posting that. I was afraid I'd have to do it all today, also.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Here's what you said back when Bob was still alive:

> I think somebody was maybe confusing food grade gases such as CO2
> or N2O and figured there must be a food grade version of
> propane/butane, too...
>
> But instead of simply admitting his mistake, went to unnecessary
> lengths to try and cover it up.

You denied the existence of food-grade propane
and butane without any basis for saying so.
As usual, you were just trying to bluff your
way through.

Your bluff was refuted by several patents to food chemists
at Cargill, such as U.S. Patent 6,610,343:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6610343.html

"Most preferably, the solvent is a category I solvent
approved by The Council of the European Committees
(Jun. 13, 1988 Council Directive) for use in food
processing. Food grade propanes and butanes generally
meet all of the above stated preferences."

And it is further refuted by a study made by a
scientist at the USDA:

"A new commercial invention incorporating a supercritical,
low-pressure, liquified gas extraction process using
food-grade butane as the extraction gas is currently
being used to extract chocolate liquor and peanuts and
the oil and residue solids are both edible products."

However, the original document has disappeared from
the original link and Google's cache.

The USDA and food ingrediants giant Cargill
certainly believe that food-grade propane/butane
exist. They are more reliable authorities than
someone who just pulls factoids out of his ass.

But perhaps what it will take to convince you of
the fact that fuel-grade versions of these gases
contain carcinogens will be proving it in court.

There's a non-profit organization in Beverly Hills,
Consumer Advocacy Group, Inc., which has been a
leading plaintiff in California Proposition 65
lawsuits. I could probably put together a package
of reference materials that would get them interested
in this topic. They'd have to hire somebody (not me)
to do the gas chromatography needed to prove
violations. If I can get them to do that, the
data should finally convince the last curmudgeons
that there is a hazard from the carcinogens in fuel
gases. There are many products out there which are
not properly labelled, some of which are specifically
marketed for kitchen use. Others are sold for BBQ,
and those are likely to be even more hazardous
because of the larger volume of gas used and the
longer exposure time.

Yes, when I get some time, I'll gather the evidence
and contact CAG. That would be an important public
service, and if I don't do it, it might not get done.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

>> But instead of simply admitting his mistake, went to unnecessary
>> lengths to try and cover it up.

> You denied the existence of food-grade propane
> and butane without any basis for saying so.
> As usual, you were just trying to bluff your
> way through.
>
> Your bluff was refuted by several patents to food chemists
> at Cargill, such as U.S. Patent 6,610,343:
>
> http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6610343.html
>
> "Most preferably, the solvent is a category I solvent
> approved by The Council of the European Committees
> (Jun. 13, 1988 Council Directive) for use in food
> processing. Food grade propanes and butanes generally
> meet all of the above stated preferences."
>
> And it is further refuted by a study made by a
> scientist at the USDA:
>
> "A new commercial invention incorporating a supercritical,
> low-pressure, liquified gas extraction process using
> food-grade butane as the extraction gas is currently
> being used to extract chocolate liquor and peanuts and
> the oil and residue solids are both edible products."
>
> However, the original document has disappeared from
> the original link and Google's cache.
>
> The USDA and food ingrediants giant Cargill
> certainly believe that food-grade propane/butane
> exist. They are more reliable authorities than
> someone who just pulls factoids out of his ass.
>
> But perhaps what it will take to convince you of
> the fact that fuel-grade versions of these gases
> contain carcinogens will be proving it in court.
>
> There's a non-profit organization in Beverly Hills,
> Consumer Advocacy Group, Inc., which has been a
> leading plaintiff in California Proposition 65
> lawsuits. I could probably put together a package
> of reference materials that would get them interested
> in this topic. They'd have to hire somebody (not me)
> to do the gas chromatography needed to prove
> violations. If I can get them to do that, the
> data should finally convince the last curmudgeons
> that there is a hazard from the carcinogens in fuel
> gases. There are many products out there which are
> not properly labelled, some of which are specifically
> marketed for kitchen use. Others are sold for BBQ,
> and those are likely to be even more hazardous
> because of the larger volume of gas used and the
> longer exposure time.
>
> Yes, when I get some time, I'll gather the evidence
> and contact CAG. That would be an important public
> service, and if I don't do it, it might not get done.

Nice try. but you are still trying to weasel out of your claim that
anyone using a propane torch to caramelize should be sure to use food
grade propane. You have yet to provide a source for food grade propane.
Your site refers only to a patent to make it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > wrote in message
>I have seen the small propane torches used in restaurant cooking to toast
>marshmallow toppings, and other things. I have seen them used to make
>foods more appealing during photography sessions. I have one of these,
>and I have propane and MAPP gases. Does using these small torches impart
>any taste to the foods? Would you use propane or MAPP?
>
> Steve

You *MUST* use food grade propane!!!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Nice try. but you are still trying to weasel out of your claim that
> anyone using a propane torch to caramelize should be sure to use food
> grade propane. You have yet to provide a source for food grade propane.
> Your site refers only to a patent to make it.

My original posting on the subject is he

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...b?dmode=source

(If you can see it. Google original has recent gone back
to being a blank screen for viewing original postings on
Netscape browsers.)

I did not recommend any product. I merely
did not recommend a certain class of products.

You did not raise the "where you can buy food-grade
propane" bugaboo until after this posting of yours:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...c?dmode=source

In which you sneeringly implied that food grade propane
did not exist. You back-pedalled to the position that
whether food-grade propane exists or not, I had to
come up with a supplier who sells it.

Subsequently, I found a product which (if properly
labelled) is food-grade (the only Bernzomatic torch
and fuel refill cartridges that lack the California
Proposition 65 warning). I'm not sure they're still
being made, but the last time I checked, there were
other torches being sold in California without the
Proposition 65 warning, marketed for kitchen use.

And you had some dishonest reason for dismissing it.
I back up my assertions with facts, and you just
bluff your way through like Steve Wertz. You have
no integrity.

The next time I'm in Whole Foods, Target, and Home
Depot, I'll take notes about fuel sources which --
if properly labelled -- are food grade. Mostly,
though, for preparing the information package to
that non-profit group. I think I perceive a
whale that certain lawyers may be interested in
spearing. Mostly the BBQ people, not the creme
brulee people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:13:27 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:05:13 -0500, brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>>>Not if you use food grain propane.
>>>
>>>(Somebody had to do it).
>>>

>> And the dwarf has the noive to rant about my Crystal Palace...
>> guzzling that _grain_ propane again, eh.

>Did you hear that Whoosh! That's the air blowing in one ear and out
>the other.

The Whoosh is you, tornado butt... you meant to write food grade but
your purpetual drug induced stupor wrote food GRAIN... what a maroon.
LOL