Leo Scanlon

Default Danish salami

We just returned from a two-week stay in London, where we rented an
apartment and usually cooked breakfast in. I love making omelets and
happened to encounter thin-sliced Danish salami in a local market.
I'll tell you, this stuff is heaven with eggs, but also by itself.
It's very mild and tasty. How hard is it to find in US stores? We
line in the Washington, DC, suburbs.

I'd also be willing to order it online, but all the Google hits seem
to point to a beverage-and-food site called Bevmo.com. And they no
longer carry Danish salami.

Help! Thanks.

Leo
Leo Scanlon

On 1 Feb 2004 23:40:30 -0800, suggested these
sites:

http://www.danishdeli.co.uk/

This site doesn't show prices and doesn't appear to offer online
ordering, just directions to their store in Croydon.

>http://www.3-stjernet.com/export/b2b.asp

Again, no ordering info, no prices.

>http://www.hojer-polser.dk/
>the last one are propably the best - but alas the web shight are all
>in Danish! However if you click on "kontakt" = contact you can write
>them a mail.

I may have to resort to that, but I'll keep hoping for US sources for
athe time being. Maybe one of the upscale markets carries it.

Thanks,

Leo

Rhonda Anderson

(Leo Scanlon) wrote in news:401e235f.88373127
@news.erols.com:

> On 1 Feb 2004 23:40:30 -0800,
suggested these
> sites:

http://www.danishdeli.co.uk/

> This site doesn't show prices and doesn't appear to offer online
> ordering, just directions to their store in Croydon.
>
>>http://www.3-stjernet.com/export/b2b.asp

> Again, no ordering info, no prices.
>
>>http://www.hojer-polser.dk/
>>the last one are propably the best - but alas the web shight are all
>>in Danish! However if you click on "kontakt" = contact you can write
>>them a mail.

> I may have to resort to that, but I'll keep hoping for US sources for
> athe time being. Maybe one of the upscale markets carries it.

Or you could move to Australia <g>. It's a pretty stock standard item at
delis and supermarkets here (at least in NSW) - and even available as
prepackaged sliced product. Not a specialty item. I was surprised to read
that you were having trouble sourcing it in the US. Tried searching
myself - closest I found was a deli in Sausalito, California which has
Danish salami on it's list of sandwich fillings! It has an online store,
but not selling the salami :-(

Found plenty of listings for places in the UK and Australia selling it,
but the closest I got to you (other than all the sites pointing to Bevmo
as you mentioned) was a place in Canada (without online ordering - fancy
a trip to Alberta?<g>)

In an earlier post you mentioned that a Danish site indicated its product
could not be shipped to USA, Canada or Australia. As far as we
(Australia) are concerned, that would be due to quarantine restrictions
(and good on the company for informing would be purchasers - many don't).
Might be the same reasoning for the USA, which would mean you may not be
able to buy it online from any overseas companies.

Is it possible Danish salami is known by another name in the USA?

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Gina *

___snip Leo's post___
Leo,,
Have you thought of phoning the Danish consulate? Maybe the Ambassador
likes the stuff anf the staff knows a source in the USA,

~~~Gina~~~

Leo Scanlon

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 12:12:22 GMT, Rhonda Anderson
> wrote:

>Tried searching
>myself - closest I found was a deli in Sausalito, California which has
>Danish salami on it's list of sandwich fillings! It has an online store,
>but not selling the salami :-(

Now THERE's a possibility. We're going to California in June. :-)

>Is it possible Danish salami is known by another name in the USA?

I don't think so. It's easy to find Danish ham, for example; most
supermarkets carry Danish ham produced by DAK. I've already tried
searching for DAK salami, with no success.

Leo
Mark Thorson

Rhonda Anderson wrote:

> Is it possible Danish salami is known by another name in the USA?

That would be "Freedom Salami".

paula

hope you can find some as this is really delicious, even when i lived
in Germany i only bought Danish salami. saw a whole one yesterday for
only £1.99 pence and was almost tempted but as i am the only one in
the family who likes it ,it was too much to buy all at once.-although
i could use it up as pizza topping , now there's a thought!.

PENMART01

>Scanlon) wrote:
>
>>We just returned from a two-week stay in London, where we rented an
>>apartment and usually cooked breakfast in. I love making omelets and
>>happened to encounter thin-sliced Danish salami in a local market.
>>I'll tell you, this stuff is heaven with eggs, but also by itself.
>>It's very mild and tasty. How hard is it to find in US stores? We
>>line in the Washington, DC, suburbs.
>>
>>I'd also be willing to order it online, but all the Google hits seem
>>to point to a beverage-and-food site called Bevmo.com. And they no
>>longer carry Danish salami.
>>
>>Help! Thanks.
>>
>>Leo

Make your own...

Some of the recipes you will find in "Great Sausage Recipe And Meat Curing" by
Rytek Kutas

Fresh Sausage Specialty Loaves and Sausage
Fresh pork sausage (Breakfast)
Polish Sausage
Onion Sausage
Chorizo
Italian Sausage, Sweet
Italian Sausage, Mild/Hot
English bangers
Cabbage pork sausage
Kosher Style Beef Sausage
Sicilian - Italian sausage
with wine and cheese
Hot Whole Hog Sausage
Swedish potato sausage Jellied turkey loaf
Corned beef hash
Braun loaf
Chili con carne
Head cheese
Souse
Pennsylvania scrapple
Old fashion loaf
Pickle and pimento loaf Honey loaf
Leberkase
Merquez sausage
Macedonian leek sausage
Greek lukanika sausage Danish Pork Sausage
Irish sausage
North African sausage #1
North African sausage #2
Andouille sausage
Game meat
Venison or beef jerky
Smoked venison polish sausage
Venison Thuringer
Smoked venison country sausage
Smoked venison breakfast sausage
Smoked venison summer sausage
Venison salami
Smoked and cooked sausage

Bratwurst
Bockwurst
Knockwurst
Wieners (Frankfurters)
Wieners, Turkey or Chicken
Vienna Sausage
Bologna, Ring or Large
Polish Sausage, Smoked
Bierwurst
Smoked pork sausage (breakfast)
Linguisa (Longaniza)
Mortadella
Berliner Sausage
Kosher Style Salami
Krakowska
Braunschweiger
Chinese style sausage Cooked salami
Braunschweiger Liver Sausage
Mettwurst
Fish Sausage
German Bologna
Liver and Onion Sausage
Polish Ham Sausage
(Kielbasa Szynkowa)
Kielbasa serdelowa (serdelki)
Polish Lemon Sausage
Kielbasa Krakowska
Rheinische Fleischwurst
(Rhineland Ham Sausage)
Sulzwurst Einfach
Jagdwurst (hunters sausage)

Teewurst (Teawurst)
Weisswurst
Smoked hungarian paprika sausage
Turkey sausage
Turkey or poultry roll
Goose Liver Sausage
Boudin
Boudin, Cajun Style
Polish blood sausage with liver
Farmer's Style Liver Sausage
Ring liver pudding
Blood sausage
Blood and tongue sausage
Rice liver sausage (Hungarian style)
Liverwurst
Cured Sausage Semi-dry
Dry Cured sausage and meat

Summer Sausage (Goetborg)
Dried sausage sticks (Slim jims)
Lebanon bologna
Thuringer
Cervelat summer sausage
Semidry kielbasa mysliwska sucha
Semidry cured kielbasa kujawska
podsuszana
Semidry Baltic Polish sausage
Semidry cured Polish Krakow sausage
Semidry kabanosy
Semidry cured Ukrainian summer sausage
Semidry Polish mountain sausage
Sheboygan summer sausage
Spanish cervelat sausage
*Danish summer sausage
Trail Bologna
Semidry curing cooked pepperoni sticks Cappicola
Chorizo
Farmers Sausage
Genoa Salami
Hard Salami
Holsteiner Sausage
Italian Sausage
Landjager
OIdStyIe Summer Sausage
Pepperoni
Plockwurst (Block Sausage)
Polish Salami
Polish Sausage
Proscuitti
Smithfield Ham
Sopressata
Westphal, a Ham Sausage
Holsteiner Sausage

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Socks

http://www.danish-deli-food.com/index.html

> Thanks, Susan, but unfortunately their salami carries the notice "Can
> not [sic] be shipped to Canada, USA or Australia."

i used to eat it a lot as a kid (being of Danish extraction) ... and then it
disappeared. i kind of wondered if there was something not compatible with
US food rules.

or, they could have just changed their subsidies. i think, like Danish
butter cookies, it might be a way to support farmers through exports.

fwiw, we always ate DAK brand.

alzelt

Rhonda Anderson wrote:
> (Leo Scanlon) wrote in news:401e235f.88373127
> @news.erols.com:
>

>>On 1 Feb 2004 23:40:30 -0800,
suggested these
>>sites:

http://www.danishdeli.co.uk/

>>This site doesn't show prices and doesn't appear to offer online
>>ordering, just directions to their store in Croydon.
>>

>>>http://www.3-stjernet.com/export/b2b.asp

>>Again, no ordering info, no prices.
>>

>>>http://www.hojer-polser.dk/
>>>the last one are propably the best - but alas the web shight are all
>>>in Danish! However if you click on "kontakt" = contact you can write
>>>them a mail.

>>I may have to resort to that, but I'll keep hoping for US sources for
>>athe time being. Maybe one of the upscale markets carries it.
>>

> Or you could move to Australia <g>. It's a pretty stock standard item at
> delis and supermarkets here (at least in NSW) - and even available as
> prepackaged sliced product. Not a specialty item. I was surprised to read
> that you were having trouble sourcing it in the US. Tried searching
> myself - closest I found was a deli in Sausalito, California which has
> Danish salami on it's list of sandwich fillings! It has an online store,
> but not selling the salami :-(
>
> Found plenty of listings for places in the UK and Australia selling it,
> but the closest I got to you (other than all the sites pointing to Bevmo
> as you mentioned) was a place in Canada (without online ordering - fancy
> a trip to Alberta?<g>)
>
> In an earlier post you mentioned that a Danish site indicated its product
> could not be shipped to USA, Canada or Australia. As far as we
> (Australia) are concerned, that would be due to quarantine restrictions
> (and good on the company for informing would be purchasers - many don't).
> Might be the same reasoning for the USA, which would mean you may not be
> able to buy it online from any overseas companies.
>
> Is it possible Danish salami is known by another name in the USA?
>

> Rhonda Anderson
> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

A little known fact on the Shrub's endeavor to keep the U.S. free and
pure, if not off balance by its brand of logic is the rule about
shipping food back to the States (not part of luggage). No commercially
produced foodstuffs may now be mailed back to the States. On the other
hand, it IS legal to have someone ship you a homemade foodstuff. How
this solution relates to terrorism does smack of logic only understood
by the Moron in chief.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Member

Hello Salami lovers,
I was unaware there were others out there who missed good salami. Well one of the best Salami that I ever had was one called DAK. I used to get it from the General Food type store but it was not super common and eventually seemed to go away all together. Well every now and again I have tried to find it online but to no avail. Well, one day I must have been thinking a bit sharper than usual ( Ha! Ha! ) and decided to track the who DAK story down. Well as it turns out I connected with the Vice-President of the canned meat and specialty products division at Plumrose , Ole E. Knudsen (great guy!). They have operations in Denmark but also the US and many product lines. DAK salami just could not make it in the Us because of the price. Turns out he gave me the info on a company in PA that is their only distributor on the US for the Salami.

Santi & Sons
Telephone: 610-736-0501

I called them as spoke to Misty. I had to but in bulk and the package of more salami than I can eat in 20 years came to my door on Friday. I opened one and it was good. It does need to sit out in the air and dry out some but it is good with cheese. Apparently there is someone else in Washington state that is a regular buyer or Dak salami according to the person I spoke with at Santi & Sons.

Hope this helps.
Christopher

A different shade of danish Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 19 17-04-2012 06:05 PM
salami A Moose In Love General Cooking 0 29-04-2010 03:08 AM
Mac and Salami koko General Cooking 0 25-03-2009 05:42 AM
Salami Tampa Florida General Cooking 10 15-08-2004 08:50 AM