Bought smoked turkey wings - how do I cook them or heat them up

Old 28-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Doug
Usenet poster

Default Bought smoked turkey wings - how do I cook them or heat them up

I love smoked turkey legs and I saw smoked turkey wings for sale at my
local store so I bought them. They are prepackaged, but don't say if
they are cooked or not....and there are absolutely no directions on
the package. Amazingly enough, there doesn't seem to be anything at
all on the web on what to do with smoked turkey wings. Lots on how to
smoke them.

I'd like to just heat them up and eat them...or do I have to heat them
for 2 hours or more on a grill.

I know I can use them as ham hock substitutes, but that's not what I
want.

HELP!!!!
Old 29-01-2004, 12:58 AM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Doug wrote:
I love smoked turkey legs and I saw smoked turkey wings for sale at my
local store so I bought them. They are prepackaged, but don't say if
they are cooked or not....and there are absolutely no directions on
the package. Amazingly enough, there doesn't seem to be anything at
all on the web on what to do with smoked turkey wings. Lots on how to
smoke them.

Smoking is cooking.

I'd like to just heat them up and eat them...or do I have to heat them
for 2 hours or more on a grill.

If the turkey wings have already been smoked, all you need to do is
warm them up the same as you would with any other previously cooked
turkey pieces.

Old 29-01-2004, 02:09 AM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

stan writes:

Doug wrote:

I love smoked turkey legs and I saw smoked turkey wings for sale at my
local store so I bought them. They are prepackaged, but don't say if
they are cooked or not....and there are absolutely no directions on
the package. Amazingly enough, there doesn't seem to be anything at
all on the web on what to do with smoked turkey wings. Lots on how to
smoke them.

Smoking is cooking.

Not necessarily... bacon is smoked, but it still needs to be cooked... many
meats are cold smoked for the added flavor, but they are still raw and require
cooking

Those wings are probably fully cooked, smoked fowl usually is, but without
seeing for myself I won't tell someone whether it's okay to eat as is,
especially if it came from the refrigerated case and requires refrigeration for
storage Unless the OP can ask someone knowlegeable at the point of purchase
it's best to assume cooking is required... use them to flavor a stew or soup.
Personally, even if a poultry product were labeled fully cooked, but needed
refrigeration, I'd still cook it, well. Many such foods are not properly
refrigerated during transport and especially not at the market, and so to be
safe(er) do the cooking thingie.... packaged fully cooked hotdogs are notorious
for causing food borne poisoning... never give children uncooked packaged
hotdogs as a snack food.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon

cooking with Coke Raelene General Cooking 28 09-01-2004 10:19 PM
A little help, please? LIMEYNO1 General Cooking 10 22-12-2003 12:19 PM
Happy Turkey Righar General Cooking 1 29-11-2003 06:55 AM
=> Americans too stupid to safely cook a turkey ...! => Vox Populi General Cooking 10 29-11-2003 04:03 AM
POSTED Martha Stewarts Black Lacquered Turkey Receipe Marek General Cooking 0 24-11-2003 08:24 AM