ConnieG999

Default Oatmeal Question

I have a recipe that calls for uncooked rolled oats.
I have a tin of McCann's steel-cut oats.
I know what the difference in the two is, but what I don't know is, can I
replace the rolled oats in the recipe with the steel-cut oats?

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

Richard Periut

ConnieG999 wrote:
> I have a recipe that calls for uncooked rolled oats.
> I have a tin of McCann's steel-cut oats.
> I know what the difference in the two is, but what I don't know is, can I
> replace the rolled oats in the recipe with the steel-cut oats?
>
> Connie
> ************************************************** ***
> My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

How will you be using the oats? If it's in meatloaf, you will have to
cook the oats enough, so that they wont turn out hard in your meatloaf.
If it's in other recipes, it may be different.

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

PENMART01

>(LazyConnieG999)
>
>I have a recipe that calls for uncooked rolled oats.
>I have a tin of McCann's steel-cut oats.
>I know what the difference in the two is, but what I don't know is, can I
>replace the rolled oats in the recipe with the steel-cut oats?

Here we go again... WHAT'S THE ****ING RECIPE? DUH!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Darryl L. Pierce

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:27:31 +0000, ConnieG999 wrote:

> I have a recipe that calls for uncooked rolled oats.
> I have a tin of McCann's steel-cut oats.
> I know what the difference in the two is, but what I don't know is, can I
> replace the rolled oats in the recipe with the steel-cut oats?

Doubtful. They're of different quality and consistency. You should just
pick up some rolled oats at the grocer and use them instead and save the
Irish oats for making porridge.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

Dennis G.

(ConnieG999) wrote:

>I have a recipe that calls for uncooked rolled oats.
>I have a tin of McCann's steel-cut oats.
>I know what the difference in the two is, but what I don't know is, can I
>replace the rolled oats in the recipe with the steel-cut oats?
>
>Connie
>************************************************* ****
>My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

Had to search and found:

"Whole oat groats are oats that have had the hulls removed and have been heat
treated to stabilize enzymes which cause rancidity. Steel cut oat groats are
whole oat groats that have each been cut into two or four pieces.
Whole oat flour can be produced in several granulations, but all are produced by
grinding whole oat products through hammermills or rollstands. Low bran oat
flour is the flour produced during the production of bran (any granulation). It
is lower in protein and fibre content than whole oat flour.

Crushed oats are produced by lightly grinding groats, steel cut, or flakes to
produce a meal type product. Various textures (fine and coarse as rough
categories) are available. Large flake rolled oats (#3, #4, #5, #6) are
produced by rolled whole oat groats.

All large flake oats are essentially the same product, but produced at different
thicknesses, which results in a range of absorption characteristics, as well as
visual differences.

The quick, baby, and instant rolled oats are all manufactured by rolling steel
cut oat groats. Different granulations of steel cut and different rolling
thicknesses result in a variety of related products. "

From:
http://www.can-oat.com/uses/uses.html

Dennis

Question about making Oatmeal Bread sf[_9_] General Cooking 25 26-07-2012 12:56 AM
Oatmeal question Washed Marge General Cooking 66 08-02-2011 12:48 AM
Oatmeal ChrisW General Cooking 11 22-10-2007 07:10 PM
Steel-cut oats/oatmeal question Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 19 16-02-2006 09:44 PM
Oatmeal and spice Question Dieter Zakas General Cooking 10 24-12-2004 03:37 AM