Wayne Boatwright

Default Corned Beef & Cabbage and ???

We have a Corned Beef & Cabbage dinner 5-6 times a year, but it's always
just the family. Along with the cabbage I also add red potatoes, carrots,
and occasionally chunks of rutabaga. We always have some type of hearty
bread with butter, and any beverages of choice. Desserts are random, but
usually just family favorites, a pie or cake, etc.

I recently had a request from friends for a CB&C dinner to celebrate a
birthday. Now I'm in a quandary about a company CB&C dinner, i.e.,
appropriate appetizers, salad, additional sides, desserts, etc. I'd like
this to be a special occasion that has been well-planned.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Wayne
-L.

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message >...
> We have a Corned Beef & Cabbage dinner 5-6 times a year, but it's always
> just the family. Along with the cabbage I also add red potatoes, carrots,
> and occasionally chunks of rutabaga. We always have some type of hearty
> bread with butter, and any beverages of choice. Desserts are random, but
> usually just family favorites, a pie or cake, etc.
>
> I recently had a request from friends for a CB&C dinner to celebrate a
> birthday. Now I'm in a quandary about a company CB&C dinner, i.e.,
> appropriate appetizers, salad, additional sides, desserts, etc. I'd like
> this to be a special occasion that has been well-planned.
>
> Suggestions? Thanks!
>
> Wayne

Corn bread.

-L.
Lynn Gifford

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message >...
> We have a Corned Beef & Cabbage dinner 5-6 times a year, but it's always
> just the family. Along with the cabbage I also add red potatoes, carrots,
> and occasionally chunks of rutabaga. We always have some type of hearty
> bread with butter, and any beverages of choice. Desserts are random, but
> usually just family favorites, a pie or cake, etc.
>
> I recently had a request from friends for a CB&C dinner to celebrate a
> birthday. Now I'm in a quandary about a company CB&C dinner, i.e.,
> appropriate appetizers, salad, additional sides, desserts, etc. I'd like
> this to be a special occasion that has been well-planned.
>
> Suggestions? Thanks!
>
> Wayne

My favorite accompaniment: Sweet mixed mustard pickles. We used to be
able to get these in a jar but they disappeared years ago. Now I buy
sweet pickles - cukes, cauliflower, peppers, onions etc. if I can find
them - pour off the sweet liquid and mix it with yellow mustard (like
French's) to taste. Pour the liquid back over the pickles. c;ose the
cover tightly and re-refrigerate. Do this two or three days before you
intend to serve thwm. The flavor is really great with the salty corned
beef. Also, adding parsnips to the carrot/potato/rutabaga mix is nice.
Lynn in Fargo
Gabby

"Lynn Gifford" > wrote in message
m...
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message

> > We have a Corned Beef & Cabbage dinner 5-6 times a year, but it's always
> > just the family. Along with the cabbage I also add red potatoes,

carrots,
> > and occasionally chunks of rutabaga. We always have some type of hearty
> > bread with butter, and any beverages of choice. Desserts are random,

but
> > usually just family favorites, a pie or cake, etc.
> >
> > I recently had a request from friends for a CB&C dinner to celebrate a
> > birthday. Now I'm in a quandary about a company CB&C dinner, i.e.,
> > appropriate appetizers, salad, additional sides, desserts, etc. I'd

like
> > this to be a special occasion that has been well-planned.
> >
> > Suggestions? Thanks!
> >
> > Wayne

> My favorite accompaniment: Sweet mixed mustard pickles. We used to be
> able to get these in a jar but they disappeared years ago. Now I buy
> sweet pickles - cukes, cauliflower, peppers, onions etc. if I can find
> them - pour off the sweet liquid and mix it with yellow mustard (like
> French's) to taste. Pour the liquid back over the pickles. c;ose the
> cover tightly and re-refrigerate. Do this two or three days before you
> intend to serve thwm. The flavor is really great with the salty corned
> beef. Also, adding parsnips to the carrot/potato/rutabaga mix is nice.
> Lynn in Fargo

Agree with the mustard pickles.
Green & wax beans and corn-on-the-cob go great with the other vegetables
too.

Because this is a meal served weekly around here I can't imagine it with
appetizers etc. We serve it with pease pudding (split peas cooked in a
pudding bag in the same pot then seasoned with butter & pepper before
serving).

Gabby

WardNA

>Along with the cabbage I also add red potatoes, carrots,
>and occasionally chunks of rutabaga.

You shouldn't be leaving out the celery and onions. I even put in whole garlic
cloves.

Corned beef and cabbage IS dinner. Loading it up with additional side dishes,
beyond the bread and dessert you've traditionally included, is not in the
spirit of the thing.

Serve an amber beer as the beverage.

Neil

BOB

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> We have a Corned Beef & Cabbage dinner 5-6 times a year, but it's always
> just the family. Along with the cabbage I also add red potatoes, carrots,
> and occasionally chunks of rutabaga. We always have some type of hearty
> bread with butter, and any beverages of choice. Desserts are random, but
> usually just family favorites, a pie or cake, etc.
>
> I recently had a request from friends for a CB&C dinner to celebrate a
> birthday. Now I'm in a quandary about a company CB&C dinner, i.e.,
> appropriate appetizers, salad, additional sides, desserts, etc. I'd like
> this to be a special occasion that has been well-planned.
>
> Suggestions? Thanks!
>
> Wayne

Ale.

Or if you can't find that, amber beer.

BOB

Frogleg

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 04:01:56 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I recently had a request from friends for a CB&C dinner to celebrate a
>birthday. Now I'm in a quandary about a company CB&C dinner, i.e.,
>appropriate appetizers, salad, additional sides, desserts, etc. I'd like
>this to be a special occasion that has been well-planned.

If CB&C was requested, CB&C is what's desired. That's a pretty hearty
meal -- why spoil appetites with appetizers? If I were invited, I'd
request extra potatoes and carrots. :-) You might feature several
differents mustards and styles of pickles. Go light with the sides.
Green beans, either simply cooked or in salad? Knock yourself out with
the b'day cake.
Gtwy4cb

>Corn bread.

No, rye bread and beer!
Sheryl Rosen

in article , Wayne Boatwright at
wrote on 1/27/04 11:01 PM:

> We have a Corned Beef & Cabbage dinner 5-6 times a year, but it's always
> just the family. Along with the cabbage I also add red potatoes, carrots,
> and occasionally chunks of rutabaga. We always have some type of hearty
> bread with butter, and any beverages of choice. Desserts are random, but
> usually just family favorites, a pie or cake, etc.
>
> I recently had a request from friends for a CB&C dinner to celebrate a
> birthday. Now I'm in a quandary about a company CB&C dinner, i.e.,
> appropriate appetizers, salad, additional sides, desserts, etc. I'd like
> this to be a special occasion that has been well-planned.
>
> Suggestions? Thanks!
>
> Wayne

I would serve a hearty seeded rye bread, for sure.
Perhaps a niced composed salad incorporating fruit as a "before" course.

I recently made one with sections of oranges, diced red pears, thin slices
of red onions, on a bed of romaine and radicchio, topped with toasted walnut
halves. For a dressing, I made a walnut vinaigrette with walnut oil, white
wine vinegar, lemon juice, a pinch of mustard powder and salt and pepper,
which I made in the blender so it was creamy. It was a thin creamy dressing.
I think blue cheese would be nice with this, too, if you weren't inclined to
make your own.

I served this with beef stew, which is soft textured like your New England
Boiled Dinner, and the crunchy texture and tanginess of the salad was a nice
contrast.

A soup course is always nice, especially this time of year, and it really
does say "This is a festive occasion!" Maybe a homemade cream of mushroom
soup with croutons? Or french onion soup? I would go with something homey,
but not terribly hearty....chicken noodle is out, it's too much going on in
the bowl. A simple single veggie soup, on the thin side. Maybe a winter
squash soup? Stay away from meaty soups, as it will take the focus away
from the main course, and stay away from potato or cabbage soup for obvious
reasons. I think homemade cream of mushroom, french onion or winter squash
soup are elegant enough for company but homestyle enough to go with this
really hearty, homey/family style meal.

As for appetizers, how about hors d'oeurvres in the living room before
dinner?

I would look for different textures...stay away from hummus or other mushy
things, as the dinner is entirely soft foods. I would also stay away
crudites, since you will have a meal with boiled carrots, you don't want to
serve raw ones...and you will have (excuse me for being blunt) gassy foods
in the cabbage and rutabaga, so you probably wouldn't want to serve raw
veggies. You don't want to serve salty meats like pepperoni, salami, etc,
because the corned beef is salty and you don't want to overdo that, either.

How about baked brie? A nice cheese platter?
Cheese and figs....yummm.
That hot spinach or artichoke dip is always nice.
Anything in puff pastry is festive. I have made spinach puffs from frozen
puff pastry and creamed spinach from Boston Market.

And for dessert, I always like an assortment of things for dessert.
Since it's a birthday, I would do a chocolate fudge cake (You could bake it
yourself or buy it) and then get one of those festive ice cream rolls from
the market or Ice cream shop. (I think Breyers makes one called "Vienetta")
It's cake and ice cream but with a grown up spin to it.

You could make your own. Just take 2 flavors of ice cream you like that go
well together. Soften it. Line a large loaf pan with foil or parchment
paper. Sprinkle some crushed cookies, nuts or macaroons or lazzeroni
cookies in the bottom. Layer in some ice cream, more cookie crumbs or nuts,
maybe some ice cream topping sauce like marshmallow, caramel or fudge, the
other flavor ice cream, more crumbs, more sauce....end with ice cream, cover
with foil, freeze until hard. Unmold on a platter to serve. You could do
this in a bowl and call it a "bombe", too.

tintalle

Well i'm from Newfoundland, or our idea of CB&C is a little different.
We don't really use the corned beef, we go with salt brined riblets or
salt meat. The traditional additions include the cabbage of course,
carrots, potatoes and turnip. As well, peas pudding, and a steamed
pudding made with molasses, or a lighter steamed pudding with raisins or
blueberries is common. Peas pudding is basically just yellow split peas
tied very tightly in a pudding bag (just a piece of sturdy cloth) and
boiled with the rest of the dinner till soft. Then you mash it with a
little butter and some black pepper. Sounds boring, but done right it's
yummy

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> We have a Corned Beef & Cabbage dinner 5-6 times a year, but it's always
> just the family. Along with the cabbage I also add red potatoes, carrots,
> and occasionally chunks of rutabaga. We always have some type of hearty
> bread with butter, and any beverages of choice. Desserts are random, but
> usually just family favorites, a pie or cake, etc.
>
> I recently had a request from friends for a CB&C dinner to celebrate a
> birthday. Now I'm in a quandary about a company CB&C dinner, i.e.,
> appropriate appetizers, salad, additional sides, desserts, etc. I'd like
> this to be a special occasion that has been well-planned.
>
> Suggestions? Thanks!
>
> Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

Default Thanks All! was Corned Beef & Cabbage and ???

A special thanks to all of you for posting so many great ideas and tips!

I have to agree that CB&C stands very well on its own and doesn't really
need the support of too many accompaniments. I will probably offer some
cheeses and crackers, but no major appetizer.

Lynn, the mustard pickles are a great idea and, luckily, a regional brand
is still sold in our markets here. Your tip for making them is handy,
though, and to be kept. I also have other pickles that are homemade as
well as pickled beets that I put up last Fall. Also the parsnips added to
the pot

I would really like to try making a pease pudding someday, having read many
times about them. However, I don't want to experiment with anything this
time around. Glad to know the technique!

Neil, I won't be leaving out the celery, onions, or garlic. I add all of
those to my CB&C, however, I cook them for the flavor and not usually the
table. That is, except for the onions. If I can find really nice sized
boiling onions I add those a bit later and serve with the other veggies.

We usually have ale, beer, and stout around and those will all be offered.
The guest of honor will probably indulge in the stout!

Sheryl, you always have great ideas, and you've outdone yourself this time!
So many good things. I love the idea of figs with the cheese, and fresh
figs are easy to get here right now so that's a definite. I may forego a
salad altogether, but if I make one I think I'll copy your ideas! All the
flavors I like.

Michael, thanks for a good soda bread recipe! I will definitely bake that,
as well as a good bakery seeded rye. Nice to have choices and I love both.
I have horseradish root on my shopping list. They're always big, so think
I will make a creamy sauce and also offer it grated plain. (I'll do all
the grating outside, thank you!) I also have several good mustards, both
coarse and smooth, so there should be ample condiments.

I forgot who mentioned green and wax beans, but I like the idea of making a
slad of these, probably with fresh dill.

Dessert... Gotta have both pie and cake! I will bake a crumb-topped apple
pie (one less crust to roll). <G> Then, one of the things I do really
well, a Schwarzwälder Kirsch Torte, that I can work on the day before.

Thanks, again, everybody!

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

tintalle > wrote in
:

> Well i'm from Newfoundland, or our idea of CB&C is a little different.
> We don't really use the corned beef, we go with salt brined riblets or
> salt meat. The traditional additions include the cabbage of course,
> carrots, potatoes and turnip. As well, peas pudding, and a steamed
> pudding made with molasses, or a lighter steamed pudding with raisins
> or blueberries is common. Peas pudding is basically just yellow split
> peas tied very tightly in a pudding bag (just a piece of sturdy cloth)
> and boiled with the rest of the dinner till soft. Then you mash it
> with a little butter and some black pepper. Sounds boring, but done
> right it's yummy

That's sounds so good! Do you salt brine the meat yourself, or can you
buy it ready to cook?

If I were to try the pease pudding, how long would I expect it to cook?
I love split pea soup, so I'm sure that I'd really like this.

Steamed puddings...ummm good! Using blueberies in one sounds delicious.

Thank you!

Wayne

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> We have a Corned Beef & Cabbage dinner 5-6 times a year, but it's
>> always just the family. Along with the cabbage I also add red
>> potatoes, carrots, and occasionally chunks of rutabaga. We always
>> have some type of hearty bread with butter, and any beverages of
>> choice. Desserts are random, but usually just family favorites, a
>> pie or cake, etc.
>>
>> I recently had a request from friends for a CB&C dinner to celebrate
>> a birthday. Now I'm in a quandary about a company CB&C dinner, i.e.,
>> appropriate appetizers, salad, additional sides, desserts, etc. I'd
>> like this to be a special occasion that has been well-planned.
>>
>> Suggestions? Thanks!
>>
>> Wayne

Jean Clarke

I just purchased a nice piece pf corned beef, and rather than adding the
cabbage this time, I hand-picked a bunch of beautiful unblemished
Brussels sprouts, just to knock it up a notch! Bring on the Grolsch in
frozen steins, and Go Patriots!

Just a Jeanie