Luca Pinotti

Default Smoked herring

maxine in ri wrote:
> It was early in the morning, and I had a couple of things to
> pick up at the market on the way to work. The clerks were
> setting out the day's goods, and on top of their cart were
> several packets of smoked herring. It smelled soo good.!
>
> Got it home, and tried a piece. Bleh! Like eating a handful
> of fishy salt.
>
> So this is not something to nibble with crackers and cheese of
> an evening.
>
> What can I do with it? How can I desalinate it? Why did it
> have to smell so good???

I love smoked herrings!
I use a simple variation of a russian recipe:
De-salt the herrings keeping them for few hours under milk.
Cut the herrings in pieces.
Add cut onoin into rings.
Add boiled beans, Some olive oil, pepper and serve with brown butterd bread.
A little "snap" of Vodka...

Luca
--
Nolite proicere margaritas ad porcos

Luca Pinotti

maxine in ri wrote:
> It was early in the morning, and I had a couple of things to
> pick up at the market on the way to work. The clerks were
> setting out the day's goods, and on top of their cart were
> several packets of smoked herring. It smelled soo good.!
>
> Got it home, and tried a piece. Bleh! Like eating a handful
> of fishy salt.
>
> So this is not something to nibble with crackers and cheese of
> an evening.
>
> What can I do with it? How can I desalinate it? Why did it
> have to smell so good???

I love smoked herrings!
I use a simple variation of a russian recipe:
De-salt the herrings keeping them for few hours under milk.
Cut the herrings in pieces.
Add cut onoin into rings.
Add boiled beans, Some olive oil, pepper and serve with brown butterd bread.
A little "snap" of Vodka...

Luca
--
Nolite proicere margaritas ad porcos

Dave Smith

maxine in ri wrote:

> It was early in the morning, and I had a couple of things to
> pick up at the market on the way to work. The clerks were
> setting out the day's goods, and on top of their cart were
> several packets of smoked herring. It smelled soo good.!
>
> Got it home, and tried a piece. Bleh! Like eating a handful
> of fishy salt.
>
> So this is not something to nibble with crackers and cheese of
> an evening.

I had a bad experience with them too. My wife had bought some as a
special treat for Christmas breakfast. I had been out to a Christmas
party the night before and had had quite a bit of eggnog. My system does
not cope well with a lot of cream (or too much rum) and I assumed that
combination was the cause, but it turned out that I was coming down with
a case of stomach flu. I ended up staying home on Christmas Say while my
wife and son went out for the family Christmas dinner and I spent most
of the day on the throne. Obviously my taste buds were a little off
that day and I would have blamed my condition for the revulsion.
However, my dog would not eat the herring, and this was a dog who used
to eat up the cat's turds before she had a chance to bury them. I have
never been inspired to give it another try.

Dave Smith

maxine in ri wrote:

> It was early in the morning, and I had a couple of things to
> pick up at the market on the way to work. The clerks were
> setting out the day's goods, and on top of their cart were
> several packets of smoked herring. It smelled soo good.!
>
> Got it home, and tried a piece. Bleh! Like eating a handful
> of fishy salt.
>
> So this is not something to nibble with crackers and cheese of
> an evening.

I had a bad experience with them too. My wife had bought some as a
special treat for Christmas breakfast. I had been out to a Christmas
party the night before and had had quite a bit of eggnog. My system does
not cope well with a lot of cream (or too much rum) and I assumed that
combination was the cause, but it turned out that I was coming down with
a case of stomach flu. I ended up staying home on Christmas Say while my
wife and son went out for the family Christmas dinner and I spent most
of the day on the throne. Obviously my taste buds were a little off
that day and I would have blamed my condition for the revulsion.
However, my dog would not eat the herring, and this was a dog who used
to eat up the cat's turds before she had a chance to bury them. I have
never been inspired to give it another try.

Scott

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> I had a bad experience with them too. My wife had bought some as a
> special treat for Christmas breakfast. I had been out to a Christmas
> party the night before and had had quite a bit of eggnog. My system does
> not cope well with a lot of cream (or too much rum) and I assumed that
> combination was the cause, but it turned out that I was coming down with
> a case of stomach flu. I ended up staying home on Christmas Say while my
> wife and son went out for the family Christmas dinner and I spent most
> of the day on the throne.

There's really no such thing as stomach flu--influenza is a respiratory
disease. You had gastroenteritis, which can be caused by a host of
organisms: Norwalk gastroenteritis or other viruses, or bacteria such
as E. coli, salmonella, shigella, or Staphylococcus aureus.

There's a good chance you had food poisoning, especially if the eggnog
contained raw eggs, as it often does.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

PENMART01

> Scott heimdall writes:
>
>>Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I had a bad experience with them too. My wife had bought some as a
>> special treat for Christmas breakfast. I had been out to a Christmas
>> party the night before and had had quite a bit of eggnog. My system does
>> not cope well with a lot of cream (or too much rum) and I assumed that
>> combination was the cause, but it turned out that I was coming down with
>> a case of stomach flu. I ended up staying home on Christmas Say while my
>> wife and son went out for the family Christmas dinner and I spent most
>> of the day on the throne.

>There's really no such thing as stomach flu--influenza is a respiratory
>disease. You had gastroenteritis, which can be caused by a host of
>organisms: Norwalk gastroenteritis or other viruses, or bacteria such
>as E. coli, salmonella, shigella, or Staphylococcus aureus.
>
>There's a good chance you had food poisoning, especially if the eggnog
>contained raw eggs, as it often does.

Well, certain individuals here do have a proclivity for breathing out their
ass.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Jack Schidt®

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> It was early in the morning, and I had a couple of things to pick up at
> the market on the way to work. The clerks were setting out the day's
> goods, and on top of their cart were several packets of smoked herring.
> It smelled soo good.!
>
> Got it home, and tried a piece. Bleh! Like eating a handful
> of fishy salt.
>
> So this is not something to nibble with crackers and cheese of an evening.
>
> What can I do with it? How can I desalinate it? Why did it have to smell
> so good???
>
> maxine in ri,

Was it dried too? If so, you need to soak it in water overnight, much like
bacalao.

Jack Fishy

PENMART01

> "Jack Schidt®" wrote:
>
>>"maxine in ri" wrote:
>> It was early in the morning, and I had a couple of things to pick up at
>> the market on the way to work. The clerks were setting out the day's
>> goods, and on top of their cart were several packets of smoked herring.
>> It smelled soo good.!
>>
>> Got it home, and tried a piece. Bleh! Like eating a handful
>> of fishy salt.
>>
>> So this is not something to nibble with crackers and cheese of an evening.
>>
>> What can I do with it? How can I desalinate it? Why did it have to smell
>> so good???

>Was it dried too? If so, you need to soak it in water overnight, much like
>bacalao.
>
>Jack Fishy

Probably similar to salt packed anchovy, not really dried like salt cod, but
needs soaking with numerous changes of water. But there are so many different
ways of preparing smoked-salted herring/fish it's impossible to know what the
OP has without more detailed info.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

> "Jack Schidt®" wrote:
>
>>"maxine in ri" wrote:
>> It was early in the morning, and I had a couple of things to pick up at
>> the market on the way to work. The clerks were setting out the day's
>> goods, and on top of their cart were several packets of smoked herring.
>> It smelled soo good.!
>>
>> Got it home, and tried a piece. Bleh! Like eating a handful
>> of fishy salt.
>>
>> So this is not something to nibble with crackers and cheese of an evening.
>>
>> What can I do with it? How can I desalinate it? Why did it have to smell
>> so good???

>Was it dried too? If so, you need to soak it in water overnight, much like
>bacalao.
>
>Jack Fishy

Probably similar to salt packed anchovy, not really dried like salt cod, but
needs soaking with numerous changes of water. But there are so many different
ways of preparing smoked-salted herring/fish it's impossible to know what the
OP has without more detailed info.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Doug Freyburger

maxine in ri wrote:

> It was early in the morning, and I had a couple of things to
> pick up at the market on the way to work. The clerks were
> setting out the day's goods, and on top of their cart were
> several packets of smoked herring. It smelled soo good.!
>
> Got it home, and tried a piece. Bleh! Like eating a handful
> of fishy salt.

Salty fish is an acquired taste to be sure.

> What can I do with it?

Slice thin, put on top of a pizza, or send it to me.

> How can I desalinate it?

Rinse it and/or soak it.

> Why did it have to smell so good?

Fatty fish have essential fatty acids that are needed for life.
The same category of fatty acids come in nuts and assorted veggies
as well.

I think our ancestors lived on the shoreline long enough to evolve
a taste for fish. Have you noticed that fatty fish smell better
even though they have a much stronger taste? Once you acquire
the taste for the stronger fish the better smell correlates with,
here it comes, better nutritional content.

limey

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> It was early in the morning, and I had a couple of things to
> pick up at the market on the way to work. The clerks were
> setting out the day's goods, and on top of their cart were
> several packets of smoked herring. It smelled soo good.!
>
> Got it home, and tried a piece. Bleh! Like eating a handful
> of fishy salt.
>
> So this is not something to nibble with crackers and cheese of
> an evening.
>
> What can I do with it? How can I desalinate it? Why did it
> have to smell so good???
>
> maxine in ri,

Kippers (smoked herring) were/are pretty popular in England (for breakfast,
Maxine!). Because of their strong, salty flavor the only way I've known
them to be cooked is poached.

Dora

limey

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> It was early in the morning, and I had a couple of things to
> pick up at the market on the way to work. The clerks were
> setting out the day's goods, and on top of their cart were
> several packets of smoked herring. It smelled soo good.!
>
> Got it home, and tried a piece. Bleh! Like eating a handful
> of fishy salt.
>
> So this is not something to nibble with crackers and cheese of
> an evening.
>
> What can I do with it? How can I desalinate it? Why did it
> have to smell so good???
>
> maxine in ri,

Kippers (smoked herring) were/are pretty popular in England (for breakfast,
Maxine!). Because of their strong, salty flavor the only way I've known
them to be cooked is poached.

Dora

limey

"limey" > wrote in message >
> Kippers (smoked herring) were/are pretty popular in England (for

breakfast,
> Maxine!). Because of their strong, salty flavor the only way I've known
> them to be cooked is poached.

Dora (see new note)

Here's a British recipe you might like to try.
I've not tried it, but it's certainly easy.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Jugged Kippers

4 Kippers
1 pint Boiling water
1 ounce Butter -- softened
1 tbsp. Fresh parsley -- chopped

Remove the head and tail from each kipper.
Pack the kippers into a tall warmed jug.
Pour the boiling water over the kippers and put a plate on top to seal in
the heat.

After 6 or 7 minutes, drain the kippers on some absorbent kitchen paper and
serve on hot plates. Brush with butter and serve at once sprinkled with
parsley.

Source:
"Helen's Internet Book of British Cooking"

> Dora

limey

"limey" > wrote in message >
> Kippers (smoked herring) were/are pretty popular in England (for

breakfast,
> Maxine!). Because of their strong, salty flavor the only way I've known
> them to be cooked is poached.

Dora (see new note)

Here's a British recipe you might like to try.
I've not tried it, but it's certainly easy.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Jugged Kippers

4 Kippers
1 pint Boiling water
1 ounce Butter -- softened
1 tbsp. Fresh parsley -- chopped

Remove the head and tail from each kipper.
Pack the kippers into a tall warmed jug.
Pour the boiling water over the kippers and put a plate on top to seal in
the heat.

After 6 or 7 minutes, drain the kippers on some absorbent kitchen paper and
serve on hot plates. Brush with butter and serve at once sprinkled with
parsley.

Source:
"Helen's Internet Book of British Cooking"

> Dora

PENMART01

>Kippers (smoked herring) were/are pretty popular in England (for breakfast,
>Maxine!). Because of their strong, salty flavor the only way I've known
>them to be cooked is poached.
>
>Dora

There are many methods/recipes for kippering, which means to salt and smoke a
dressed fish, usually herring, but can also be black cod, etal. There are
many, many brands of tinned/canned kippers as well, which I don't find so
particularly salty that I can't enjoy them as is. The problem with this
discussion is that it's not possible to ascertain by long distance each
individual's tolerance for saltiness. I enjoy salted smoked herring as is,
without soaking.... and the thing is that salted smoked herring is an
appetizer/condiment, like lox/anchovy/matjes, not meant to be something one
makes their entire meal... although some can, I can.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>Kippers (smoked herring) were/are pretty popular in England (for breakfast,
>Maxine!). Because of their strong, salty flavor the only way I've known
>them to be cooked is poached.
>
>Dora

There are many methods/recipes for kippering, which means to salt and smoke a
dressed fish, usually herring, but can also be black cod, etal. There are
many, many brands of tinned/canned kippers as well, which I don't find so
particularly salty that I can't enjoy them as is. The problem with this
discussion is that it's not possible to ascertain by long distance each
individual's tolerance for saltiness. I enjoy salted smoked herring as is,
without soaking.... and the thing is that salted smoked herring is an
appetizer/condiment, like lox/anchovy/matjes, not meant to be something one
makes their entire meal... although some can, I can.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Doug Cutler

Yup, that's the way my mother cooked them, that was Whitby Kippers of course
Doug.

"limey" > wrote in message

> "limey" > wrote in message >
> > Kippers (smoked herring) were/are pretty popular in England (for

> breakfast,
> > Maxine!).

> Here's a British recipe you might like to try.
> I've not tried it, but it's certainly easy.

> Jugged Kippers
>
> 4 Kippers
> 1 pint Boiling water
> 1 ounce Butter -- softened
> 1 tbsp. Fresh parsley -- chopped
>
> Remove the head and tail from each kipper.
> Pack the kippers into a tall warmed jug.
> Pour the boiling water over the kippers and put a plate on top to seal in
> the heat.
>
> After 6 or 7 minutes, drain the kippers on some absorbent kitchen paper

and
> serve on hot plates. Brush with butter and serve at once sprinkled with
> parsley.
>
> Source:
> "Helen's Internet Book of British Cooking"
>

> > Dora

Doug Cutler

"limey" > wrote in message

> "limey" > wrote in message >
> > Kippers (smoked herring) were/are pretty popular in England (for

> breakfast,
> > Maxine!).

> Here's a British recipe you might like to try.
> I've not tried it, but it's certainly easy.

> Jugged Kippers
>
> 4 Kippers
> 1 pint Boiling water
> 1 ounce Butter -- softened
> 1 tbsp. Fresh parsley -- chopped
>
> Remove the head and tail from each kipper.
> Pack the kippers into a tall warmed jug.
> Pour the boiling water over the kippers and put a plate on top to seal in
> the heat.
>
> After 6 or 7 minutes, drain the kippers on some absorbent kitchen paper

and
> serve on hot plates. Brush with butter and serve at once sprinkled with
> parsley.
>
> Source:
> "Helen's Internet Book of British Cooking"
>

> > Dora

Graeme...in London

"limey" > wrote in message

> "maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> > It was early in the morning, and I had a couple of things to
> > pick up at the market on the way to work. The clerks were
> > setting out the day's goods, and on top of their cart were
> > several packets of smoked herring. It smelled soo good.!
> >
> > Got it home, and tried a piece. Bleh! Like eating a handful
> > of fishy salt.
> >
> > So this is not something to nibble with crackers and cheese of
> > an evening.
> >
> > What can I do with it? How can I desalinate it? Why did it
> > have to smell so good???
> >
> > maxine in ri,

> Kippers (smoked herring) were/are pretty popular in England (for

breakfast,
> Maxine!). Because of their strong, salty flavor the only way I've known
> them to be cooked is poached.
>
> Dora

I'm going to pitch in here just to say that kippers are produced and eaten
on a regular basis in Scotland. They are usually grilled/broiled for a few
minutes (skin side down) thus allowing the bones to crisp and be eaten. They
are extremely tasty simply served with a knob of butter being allowed to
melt accompanied with some toast. The down side is your kitchen stinks for
hours afterwards. Poaching in water eliminates the smell factor but you
can't eat the bones.

There are also 2 other kinds of smoked fish from Scotland that resemble
kippers. Finnan Haddock and Arbroath Smokies.

All 3 fish make for good, healthy, economical eats.

Graeme

Graeme...in London

"limey" > wrote in message

> "maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> > It was early in the morning, and I had a couple of things to
> > pick up at the market on the way to work. The clerks were
> > setting out the day's goods, and on top of their cart were
> > several packets of smoked herring. It smelled soo good.!
> >
> > Got it home, and tried a piece. Bleh! Like eating a handful
> > of fishy salt.
> >
> > So this is not something to nibble with crackers and cheese of
> > an evening.
> >
> > What can I do with it? How can I desalinate it? Why did it
> > have to smell so good???
> >
> > maxine in ri,

> Kippers (smoked herring) were/are pretty popular in England (for

breakfast,
> Maxine!). Because of their strong, salty flavor the only way I've known
> them to be cooked is poached.
>
> Dora

I'm going to pitch in here just to say that kippers are produced and eaten
on a regular basis in Scotland. They are usually grilled/broiled for a few
minutes (skin side down) thus allowing the bones to crisp and be eaten. They
are extremely tasty simply served with a knob of butter being allowed to
melt accompanied with some toast. The down side is your kitchen stinks for
hours afterwards. Poaching in water eliminates the smell factor but you
can't eat the bones.

There are also 2 other kinds of smoked fish from Scotland that resemble
kippers. Finnan Haddock and Arbroath Smokies.

All 3 fish make for good, healthy, economical eats.

Graeme

Graeme...in London

"limey" > wrote in message

> "maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> > It was early in the morning, and I had a couple of things to
> > pick up at the market on the way to work. The clerks were
> > setting out the day's goods, and on top of their cart were
> > several packets of smoked herring. It smelled soo good.!
> >
> > Got it home, and tried a piece. Bleh! Like eating a handful
> > of fishy salt.
> >
> > So this is not something to nibble with crackers and cheese of
> > an evening.
> >
> > What can I do with it? How can I desalinate it? Why did it
> > have to smell so good???
> >
> > maxine in ri,

> Kippers (smoked herring) were/are pretty popular in England (for

breakfast,
> Maxine!). Because of their strong, salty flavor the only way I've known
> them to be cooked is poached.
>
> Dora

I'm going to pitch in here just to say that kippers are produced and eaten
on a regular basis in Scotland. They are usually grilled/broiled for a few
minutes (skin side down) thus allowing the bones to crisp and be eaten. They
are extremely tasty simply served with a knob of butter being allowed to
melt accompanied with some toast. The down side is your kitchen stinks for
hours afterwards. Poaching in water eliminates the smell factor but you
can't eat the bones.

There are also 2 other kinds of smoked fish from Scotland that resemble
kippers. Finnan Haddock and Arbroath Smokies.

All 3 fish make for good, healthy, economical eats.

Graeme

limey

"Graeme...in London" wrote in message >
> "limey" wrote in message
> >
> > Kippers (smoked herring) were/are pretty popular in England (for

> breakfast,
> > Maxine!). Because of their strong, salty flavor the only way I've

known
> > them to be cooked is poached.
> >
> > Dora
> >

> I'm going to pitch in here just to say that kippers are produced and eaten
> on a regular basis in Scotland. They are usually grilled/broiled for a few
> minutes (skin side down) thus allowing the bones to crisp and be eaten.

They
> are extremely tasty simply served with a knob of butter being allowed to
> melt accompanied with some toast. The down side is your kitchen stinks for
> hours afterwards. Poaching in water eliminates the smell factor but you
> can't eat the bones.
>
> There are also 2 other kinds of smoked fish from Scotland that resemble
> kippers. Finnan Haddock and Arbroath Smokies.
>
> All 3 fish make for good, healthy, economical eats.
>
> Graeme

I suppose my mother didn't like the lingering fishy smell. She also
poached smoked haddock. Graeme, what is the difference between smoked
haddock and Finnan Haddie?

Dora

limey

"Graeme...in London" wrote in message >
> "limey" wrote in message
> >
> > Kippers (smoked herring) were/are pretty popular in England (for

> breakfast,
> > Maxine!). Because of their strong, salty flavor the only way I've

known
> > them to be cooked is poached.
> >
> > Dora
> >

> I'm going to pitch in here just to say that kippers are produced and eaten
> on a regular basis in Scotland. They are usually grilled/broiled for a few
> minutes (skin side down) thus allowing the bones to crisp and be eaten.

They
> are extremely tasty simply served with a knob of butter being allowed to
> melt accompanied with some toast. The down side is your kitchen stinks for
> hours afterwards. Poaching in water eliminates the smell factor but you
> can't eat the bones.
>
> There are also 2 other kinds of smoked fish from Scotland that resemble
> kippers. Finnan Haddock and Arbroath Smokies.
>
> All 3 fish make for good, healthy, economical eats.
>
> Graeme

I suppose my mother didn't like the lingering fishy smell. She also
poached smoked haddock. Graeme, what is the difference between smoked
haddock and Finnan Haddie?

Dora

Dave Smith

limey wrote:

> > I'm going to pitch in here just to say that kippers are produced and eaten
> > on a regular basis in Scotland. They are usually grilled/broiled for a few
> > minutes (skin side down) thus allowing the bones to crisp and be eaten.

> They
> > are extremely tasty simply served with a knob of butter being allowed to
> > melt accompanied with some toast. The down side is your kitchen stinks for
> > hours afterwards. Poaching in water eliminates the smell factor but you
> > can't eat the bones.
> >
> > There are also 2 other kinds of smoked fish from Scotland that resemble
> > kippers. Finnan Haddock and Arbroath Smokies.
> >
> > All 3 fish make for good, healthy, economical eats.
> >
> > Graeme

> I suppose my mother didn't like the lingering fishy smell. She also
> poached smoked haddock. Graeme, what is the difference between smoked
> haddock and Finnan Haddie?

Finnan Haddie is smoked haddock.

Dave Smith

limey wrote:

> > I'm going to pitch in here just to say that kippers are produced and eaten
> > on a regular basis in Scotland. They are usually grilled/broiled for a few
> > minutes (skin side down) thus allowing the bones to crisp and be eaten.

> They
> > are extremely tasty simply served with a knob of butter being allowed to
> > melt accompanied with some toast. The down side is your kitchen stinks for
> > hours afterwards. Poaching in water eliminates the smell factor but you
> > can't eat the bones.
> >
> > There are also 2 other kinds of smoked fish from Scotland that resemble
> > kippers. Finnan Haddock and Arbroath Smokies.
> >
> > All 3 fish make for good, healthy, economical eats.
> >
> > Graeme

> I suppose my mother didn't like the lingering fishy smell. She also
> poached smoked haddock. Graeme, what is the difference between smoked
> haddock and Finnan Haddie?

Finnan Haddie is smoked haddock.

Graeme...in London

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> limey wrote:
>

> > > I'm going to pitch in here just to say that kippers are produced and

eaten
> > > on a regular basis in Scotland. They are usually grilled/broiled for a

few
> > > minutes (skin side down) thus allowing the bones to crisp and be

eaten.
> > They
> > > are extremely tasty simply served with a knob of butter being allowed

> > > melt accompanied with some toast. The down side is your kitchen stinks

for
> > > hours afterwards. Poaching in water eliminates the smell factor but

you
> > > can't eat the bones.
> > >
> > > There are also 2 other kinds of smoked fish from Scotland that

resemble
> > > kippers. Finnan Haddock and Arbroath Smokies.
> > >
> > > All 3 fish make for good, healthy, economical eats.
> > >
> > > Graeme

> > I suppose my mother didn't like the lingering fishy smell. She also
> > poached smoked haddock. Graeme, what is the difference between smoked
> > haddock and Finnan Haddie?

> Finnan Haddie is smoked haddock.

Dave is right, but FWIW, smoked haddock sold commercially in the UK is
always skinned and filleted prior to smoking. It is offered 2 ways. Yellow
dye is added prior to the smoke, or else it is omitted. These fillets range
in size and can be sizeable in weight. Poaching these fillets in milk is my
preferred cooking method (they are also an essential ingredient in a fish
pie)

Finnan Haddie, however, are cured and cold smoked whole, and normally weigh
around 1lb per fish (sometimes minus the head). By leaving the skin and
bones intact, any oils, fats and flavourings etc, that lie between the skin
and flesh render into the flesh and are not lost. There is a down side with
these fish though. They are nigh impossible to fillet after the smoking
method and are not good eating for folks that have an aversion to fish
bones. They were/are traditionally used as an ingredient in a Scottish soup
called Cullen Skink (potato and haddock chowder). Really comforting, winter
warming fare.

They are still widely available throught Scotland.

Graeme

Graeme...in London

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> limey wrote:
>

> > > I'm going to pitch in here just to say that kippers are produced and

eaten
> > > on a regular basis in Scotland. They are usually grilled/broiled for a

few
> > > minutes (skin side down) thus allowing the bones to crisp and be

eaten.
> > They
> > > are extremely tasty simply served with a knob of butter being allowed

> > > melt accompanied with some toast. The down side is your kitchen stinks

for
> > > hours afterwards. Poaching in water eliminates the smell factor but

you
> > > can't eat the bones.
> > >
> > > There are also 2 other kinds of smoked fish from Scotland that

resemble
> > > kippers. Finnan Haddock and Arbroath Smokies.
> > >
> > > All 3 fish make for good, healthy, economical eats.
> > >
> > > Graeme

> > I suppose my mother didn't like the lingering fishy smell. She also
> > poached smoked haddock. Graeme, what is the difference between smoked
> > haddock and Finnan Haddie?

> Finnan Haddie is smoked haddock.

Dave is right, but FWIW, smoked haddock sold commercially in the UK is
always skinned and filleted prior to smoking. It is offered 2 ways. Yellow
dye is added prior to the smoke, or else it is omitted. These fillets range
in size and can be sizeable in weight. Poaching these fillets in milk is my
preferred cooking method (they are also an essential ingredient in a fish
pie)

Finnan Haddie, however, are cured and cold smoked whole, and normally weigh
around 1lb per fish (sometimes minus the head). By leaving the skin and
bones intact, any oils, fats and flavourings etc, that lie between the skin
and flesh render into the flesh and are not lost. There is a down side with
these fish though. They are nigh impossible to fillet after the smoking
method and are not good eating for folks that have an aversion to fish
bones. They were/are traditionally used as an ingredient in a Scottish soup
called Cullen Skink (potato and haddock chowder). Really comforting, winter
warming fare.

They are still widely available throught Scotland.

Graeme

Graeme...in London

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> limey wrote:
>

> > > I'm going to pitch in here just to say that kippers are produced and

eaten
> > > on a regular basis in Scotland. They are usually grilled/broiled for a

few
> > > minutes (skin side down) thus allowing the bones to crisp and be

eaten.
> > They
> > > are extremely tasty simply served with a knob of butter being allowed

> > > melt accompanied with some toast. The down side is your kitchen stinks

for
> > > hours afterwards. Poaching in water eliminates the smell factor but

you
> > > can't eat the bones.
> > >
> > > There are also 2 other kinds of smoked fish from Scotland that

resemble
> > > kippers. Finnan Haddock and Arbroath Smokies.
> > >
> > > All 3 fish make for good, healthy, economical eats.
> > >
> > > Graeme

> > I suppose my mother didn't like the lingering fishy smell. She also
> > poached smoked haddock. Graeme, what is the difference between smoked
> > haddock and Finnan Haddie?

> Finnan Haddie is smoked haddock.

Dave is right, but FWIW, smoked haddock sold commercially in the UK is
always skinned and filleted prior to smoking. It is offered 2 ways. Yellow
dye is added prior to the smoke, or else it is omitted. These fillets range
in size and can be sizeable in weight. Poaching these fillets in milk is my
preferred cooking method (they are also an essential ingredient in a fish
pie)

Finnan Haddie, however, are cured and cold smoked whole, and normally weigh
around 1lb per fish (sometimes minus the head). By leaving the skin and
bones intact, any oils, fats and flavourings etc, that lie between the skin
and flesh render into the flesh and are not lost. There is a down side with
these fish though. They are nigh impossible to fillet after the smoking
method and are not good eating for folks that have an aversion to fish
bones. They were/are traditionally used as an ingredient in a Scottish soup
called Cullen Skink (potato and haddock chowder). Really comforting, winter
warming fare.

They are still widely available throught Scotland.

Graeme

limey

> resemble

> > > I suppose my mother didn't like the lingering fishy smell. She also
> > > poached smoked haddock. Graeme, what is the difference between smoked
> > > haddock and Finnan Haddie?

FWIW, smoked haddock sold commercially in the UK is
> always skinned and filleted prior to smoking. It is offered 2 ways. Yellow
> dye is added prior to the smoke, or else it is omitted. These fillets

range
> in size and can be sizeable in weight. Poaching these fillets in milk is

my
> preferred cooking method (they are also an essential ingredient in a fish
> pie)
>
> Finnan Haddie, however, are cured and cold smoked whole, and normally

weigh
> around 1lb per fish (sometimes minus the head). By leaving the skin and
> bones intact, any oils, fats and flavourings etc, that lie between the

skin
> and flesh render into the flesh and are not lost. There is a down side

with
> these fish though. They are nigh impossible to fillet after the smoking
> method and are not good eating for folks that have an aversion to fish
> bones. They were/are traditionally used as an ingredient in a Scottish

soup
> called Cullen Skink (potato and haddock chowder). Really comforting,

winter
> warming fare.
>
> They are still widely available throught Scotland.
>
> Graeme

Thanks, Graeme. I knew there was a difference, but didn't know what that
was.
The smoked fillets are those I remember; I haven't had them since I left
England (London).

Dora

limey

> resemble

> > > I suppose my mother didn't like the lingering fishy smell. She also
> > > poached smoked haddock. Graeme, what is the difference between smoked
> > > haddock and Finnan Haddie?

FWIW, smoked haddock sold commercially in the UK is
> always skinned and filleted prior to smoking. It is offered 2 ways. Yellow
> dye is added prior to the smoke, or else it is omitted. These fillets

range
> in size and can be sizeable in weight. Poaching these fillets in milk is

my
> preferred cooking method (they are also an essential ingredient in a fish
> pie)
>
> Finnan Haddie, however, are cured and cold smoked whole, and normally

weigh
> around 1lb per fish (sometimes minus the head). By leaving the skin and
> bones intact, any oils, fats and flavourings etc, that lie between the

skin
> and flesh render into the flesh and are not lost. There is a down side

with
> these fish though. They are nigh impossible to fillet after the smoking
> method and are not good eating for folks that have an aversion to fish
> bones. They were/are traditionally used as an ingredient in a Scottish

soup
> called Cullen Skink (potato and haddock chowder). Really comforting,

winter
> warming fare.
>
> They are still widely available throught Scotland.
>
> Graeme

Thanks, Graeme. I knew there was a difference, but didn't know what that
was.
The smoked fillets are those I remember; I haven't had them since I left
England (London).

Dora

limey

"maxine in ri" wrote in message
> limey wrote:
> >
> > Here's a British recipe you might like to try.
> > I've not tried it, but it's certainly easy.

<snipped>

> That sounds easily done. How much of a difference would milk
> make, or is that used cold? Seems about half and half water or
> milk soaking.
>
> maxine in ri

I don't think milk would work on kippers, Maxine.

Graeme...in London

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> limey wrote:

> > <snipped>
> >
> >>That sounds easily done. How much of a difference would milk
> >>make, or is that used cold? Seems about half and half water or
> >>milk soaking.
> >>
> >>maxine in ri

> > I don't think milk would work on kippers, Maxine.
> >

> Thank you, Dora. Two people mentioned it, but I think the
> English are the experts, so I'll go with your recommendations.
>
> Maxine

Maxine, and Dora, here is another alternative method that should be tried,
at least once. IMO, this is the best way to eat kippers, marinated.

You will need:

1lb kipper fillets
2 lemons, 1 squeezed, the other thinly sliced.
2 onions, peeled and sliced.
1/2 tsp crushed peppercorns.
5 sprigs of fresh thyme.
a few sprigs of flat leaf parsley.
6 fl oz EVOO

If you can't get kipper fillets, simply run your knife under the backbone
and tease the rib bones away from the flesh. Flake the fish into bite sized
pieces.

Place the fish in the bottom of a suitable dish that will hold the fish in
one layer. Pour over the lemon juice, and the other ingredients, finishing
with the EVOO. Cover (important or your fridge will smell for evermore) and
refrigerate for 24hrs minimum. (it will keep for several weeks)

By marinating, the saltiness seems to be drawn out and the smokiness is
enhanced. This is as good a variety of smoked fish that is on offer IMO.
Great with boiled new potatoes or simply snack on it during the week.

Now I got me a cravin'

Graeme

Graeme...in London

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> limey wrote:

> > <snipped>
> >
> >>That sounds easily done. How much of a difference would milk
> >>make, or is that used cold? Seems about half and half water or
> >>milk soaking.
> >>
> >>maxine in ri

> > I don't think milk would work on kippers, Maxine.
> >

> Thank you, Dora. Two people mentioned it, but I think the
> English are the experts, so I'll go with your recommendations.
>
> Maxine

Maxine, and Dora, here is another alternative method that should be tried,
at least once. IMO, this is the best way to eat kippers, marinated.

You will need:

1lb kipper fillets
2 lemons, 1 squeezed, the other thinly sliced.
2 onions, peeled and sliced.
1/2 tsp crushed peppercorns.
5 sprigs of fresh thyme.
a few sprigs of flat leaf parsley.
6 fl oz EVOO

If you can't get kipper fillets, simply run your knife under the backbone
and tease the rib bones away from the flesh. Flake the fish into bite sized
pieces.

Place the fish in the bottom of a suitable dish that will hold the fish in
one layer. Pour over the lemon juice, and the other ingredients, finishing
with the EVOO. Cover (important or your fridge will smell for evermore) and
refrigerate for 24hrs minimum. (it will keep for several weeks)

By marinating, the saltiness seems to be drawn out and the smokiness is
enhanced. This is as good a variety of smoked fish that is on offer IMO.
Great with boiled new potatoes or simply snack on it during the week.

Now I got me a cravin'

Graeme

limey

"Graeme...in London" >
> Maxine, and Dora, here is another alternative method that should be tried,
> at least once. IMO, this is the best way to eat kippers, marinated.

<snipped>

> Now I got me a cravin'
>
> Graeme

You've set me off, too. Darn it. I haven't even seen kippers in this
neck of the woods. ;-(

Dora

limey

"Graeme...in London" >
> Maxine, and Dora, here is another alternative method that should be tried,
> at least once. IMO, this is the best way to eat kippers, marinated.

<snipped>

> Now I got me a cravin'
>
> Graeme

You've set me off, too. Darn it. I haven't even seen kippers in this
neck of the woods. ;-(

Dora

limey

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> limey wrote:
> > "Graeme...in London" >
> >
> >>Maxine, and Dora, here is another alternative method that should be

tried,
> >>at least once. IMO, this is the best way to eat kippers, marinated.

> > <snipped>
> >
> >>Now I got me a cravin'
> >>
> >>Graeme
> >>

> > You've set me off, too. Darn it. I haven't even seen kippers in this
> > neck of the woods. ;-(
> >
> > Dora
> >

> Rats! I did the boiling water thing twice last night, then,
> since a taste seemed to indicate that the salinity was down to
> reasonable levels, I smashed it and added onion, celery,
> vinegar, and a few herbs, and served it over mashed potatoes.
> Baaaad move. My DH commented that it was a bit salty (he's the
> salt-a-holic with the low BP), and to me it tasted like I'd just
> eaten a spoonful of (very tasty) salt.
>
> There's none left to try marinating, or I would try that.
>
> Thanks again, all, for your advice and suggestions.
>
> maxine in ri

Well, Maxine, they are pretty strongly flavoured and salty. You might say
it takes a sturdy Brit to eat them for breakfast! Maybe you have to be
born to them - although I don't remember my mother spoon-feeding them to me
as an infant. It didn't take me long to get initiated, though. I miss
them, though, and would take them any day over grits. ;-(

Dora

limey

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> limey wrote:
> > "Graeme...in London" >
> >
> >>Maxine, and Dora, here is another alternative method that should be

tried,
> >>at least once. IMO, this is the best way to eat kippers, marinated.

> > <snipped>
> >
> >>Now I got me a cravin'
> >>
> >>Graeme
> >>

> > You've set me off, too. Darn it. I haven't even seen kippers in this
> > neck of the woods. ;-(
> >
> > Dora
> >

> Rats! I did the boiling water thing twice last night, then,
> since a taste seemed to indicate that the salinity was down to
> reasonable levels, I smashed it and added onion, celery,
> vinegar, and a few herbs, and served it over mashed potatoes.
> Baaaad move. My DH commented that it was a bit salty (he's the
> salt-a-holic with the low BP), and to me it tasted like I'd just
> eaten a spoonful of (very tasty) salt.
>
> There's none left to try marinating, or I would try that.
>
> Thanks again, all, for your advice and suggestions.
>
> maxine in ri

Well, Maxine, they are pretty strongly flavoured and salty. You might say
it takes a sturdy Brit to eat them for breakfast! Maybe you have to be
born to them - although I don't remember my mother spoon-feeding them to me
as an infant. It didn't take me long to get initiated, though. I miss
them, though, and would take them any day over grits. ;-(

Dora

limey