Michel Boucher

Default Egg beaters a pain to clean

I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two
separate properly oiled metal pans and both times, the bottom became
coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on the pan
surface as it was cooking.

It took quite a long time to get the stuff off.

So, those with more experience, do you use a non-stick pan with egg-
beaters or do you just not bother with them because they give the same
result no matter what?

--

"I'm the master of low expectations."

GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003
Katra

In article >,
Michel Boucher > wrote:

> I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two
> separate properly oiled metal pans and both times, the bottom became
> coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on the pan
> surface as it was cooking.
>
> It took quite a long time to get the stuff off.
>
> So, those with more experience, do you use a non-stick pan with egg-
> beaters or do you just not bother with them because they give the same
> result no matter what?

Low fat is passe'... :-)
Just cook real eggs.

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Michel Boucher

Katra > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> Michel Boucher > wrote:
>
>> I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two
>> separate properly oiled metal pans and both times, the bottom
>> became coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right
>> on the pan surface as it was cooking.
>>
>> It took quite a long time to get the stuff off.
>>
>> So, those with more experience, do you use a non-stick pan with
>> egg- beaters or do you just not bother with them because they
>> give the same result no matter what?

> Low fat is passe'... :-)
> Just cook real eggs.

I'm afraid it's not that simple as a question of taste. 95% stenosis
tells the tale.

--

"I'm the master of low expectations."

GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003
Vox Humana

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two
> separate properly oiled metal pans and both times, the bottom became
> coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on the pan
> surface as it was cooking.
>
> It took quite a long time to get the stuff off.
>
> So, those with more experience, do you use a non-stick pan with egg-
> beaters or do you just not bother with them because they give the same
> result no matter what?

I think that Egg Beaters is just egg whites with some oil and coloring
added. In any case, I would recommend that you use a non-stick pan. That
is about the only use I have for non-stick pans. You shouldn't have to use
much, if any, oil if you use a non-stick pan. I also helps to heat the pan,
add the oil and let it heat, then add the egg. I even do that in non-stick
cookware. That should totally eliminate sticking.

Try doing them in the microwave using olive oil spray as a non stick
device. For this I just use a glass pie plate and I do the same thing
when making egg salad from the beaters.
I also use the plastic pans for the microwave for prep omelets etc.
Matt

Michel Boucher wrote:
> I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two
> separate properly oiled metal pans and both times, the bottom became
> coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on the pan
> surface as it was cooking.
>
> It took quite a long time to get the stuff off.
>
> So, those with more experience, do you use a non-stick pan with egg-
> beaters or do you just not bother with them because they give the same
> result no matter what?

Loki

Why would one cook egg beaters? What am I missing here?

il 26 Jan 2004 18:14:47 GMT, Michel Boucher ha scritto:

> I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two
> separate properly oiled metal pans and both times, the bottom became
> coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on the pan
> surface as it was cooking.

[snip]
--
Cheers,

Katra Wrote:

> Low fat is passe'... :-)
> Just cook real eggs.
>
> K.

It may be passe` for you but not for others.

Katra

In article >,
Michel Boucher > wrote:

> Katra > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >,
> > Michel Boucher > wrote:
> >
> >> I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two
> >> separate properly oiled metal pans and both times, the bottom
> >> became coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right
> >> on the pan surface as it was cooking.
> >>
> >> It took quite a long time to get the stuff off.
> >>
> >> So, those with more experience, do you use a non-stick pan with
> >> egg- beaters or do you just not bother with them because they
> >> give the same result no matter what?

> > Low fat is passe'... :-)
> > Just cook real eggs.

> I'm afraid it's not that simple as a question of taste. 95% stenosis
> tells the tale.

Eggs ain't at fault.
Serum tryglicerides are raised more by sugar and starches, not fat.

Go on the Atkins diet.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Frogleg

On 26 Jan 2004 18:14:47 GMT, Michel Boucher >
wrote:

>I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two
>separate properly oiled metal pans and both times, the bottom became
>coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on the pan
>surface as it was cooking.

Why EggBeaters? I did a little casual research for an
cholesterol-challanged friend and found that simply buying eggs and
discarding the yolks was far cheaper (just noticed the price of eggs
has risen astronomically, so this may no longer be true.) *Her*
justification was separation anxiety, so I gave her an egg-separator
gadget. :-)

Can't help with residue question. My only use of egg whites is whipped
and folded into something. Do you get the same effect with regular ol'
egg-whites? The EggBeater site claims "no artificial flavors or
preservatives" but does add beta carotene for color and unspecified
"vitamins" usually supplied by the yolk.
Michel Boucher

Frogleg > wrote in
:

> On 26 Jan 2004 18:14:47 GMT, Michel Boucher >
> wrote:
>
>>I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two
>>separate properly oiled metal pans and both times, the bottom
>>became coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on
>>the pan surface as it was cooking.

> Why EggBeaters?

Why not? I am testing various products at this point. I can usually
get either 80% cholesterol reduced eggs or egg whites only (I also do
eat regular eggs once or twice a week...always have), but that one
time, the store I went to only had egg beaters. I have discovered this
drawback to cooking them. I am asking whether others have had this
experience. Sheesh...between you and Katra, I get no end of kvetching.

--

"I'm the master of low expectations."

GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003
Vox Humana

"Loki" > wrote in message
> Why would one cook egg beaters? What am I missing here?

As I explained in my post, Egg Beaters is a brand of egg alternative that
consists of egg whites, oil, and food coloring. The don't have any
cholesterol and they are pasteurized.
http://www.eggbeaters.com/index.jsp

Loki

il Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:44:15 GMT, "Vox Humana" ha scritto:

> As I explained in my post, Egg Beaters is a brand of egg alternative that
> consists of egg whites, oil, and food coloring. The don't have any
> cholesterol and they are pasteurized.
> http://www.eggbeaters.com/index.jsp

So I finally figured ...
'Egg beaters' here (NZ) are those hand machines for beating eggs.
Nowadays I use an even more 'low tech' fork or whisk. Easier to wash
afterwards.

I've given up trying to second guess what the researchers will say
about cholesterol and food. Once it was no eggs whatsoever, now a
couple a week are ok. And anyway, for women, the diet approach to
lowering cholsterol is not as useful. The body will insist on making
its own...:-)

BTW My non-stick pan instructions and cookbooks all recommend a light
coating of oil. And never using soap/detergent to clean them with
seems to help maintain the ease of cleaning with just hot water.

--
Cheers,

Vox Humana

"Loki" > wrote in message
> il Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:44:15 GMT, "Vox Humana" ha scritto:
> >
> > As I explained in my post, Egg Beaters is a brand of egg alternative

that
> > consists of egg whites, oil, and food coloring. The don't have any
> > cholesterol and they are pasteurized.
> > http://www.eggbeaters.com/index.jsp

> So I finally figured ...
> 'Egg beaters' here (NZ) are those hand machines for beating eggs.
> Nowadays I use an even more 'low tech' fork or whisk. Easier to wash
> afterwards.
>
> I've given up trying to second guess what the researchers will say
> about cholesterol and food. Once it was no eggs whatsoever, now a
> couple a week are ok. And anyway, for women, the diet approach to
> lowering cholsterol is not as useful. The body will insist on making
> its own...:-)
>
> BTW My non-stick pan instructions and cookbooks all recommend a light
> coating of oil. And never using soap/detergent to clean them with
> seems to help maintain the ease of cleaning with just hot water.

Dupont says that their non-stick coatings are dishwasher safe and I nearly
always put mine in the dishwasher. I agree that a very thin coating of oil
helps, but I don't like the non-stick sprays like PAM. The sprays seem to
cause a sticky film in the long run.

Michel Boucher

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in
. com:

> Unfortunately
> there are some people who are anti-Atkins for psychological
> reasons. Grow up!

Or religious reasons. Probably doesn't go over big among practicing
hindus or sikhs. I happen to not like meat very much. It's not moral
or psychological. It's a question of taste. I do however eat any type
of vegetable or fruit.

You could stop thinking that reasons not to eat meat are "fabricated"
rather than being as varied as the reasons for liking or not liking any
type of food.

--

"I'm the master of low expectations."

GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003
Default User

Peter Aitken wrote:

> Completely false - there is in fact a lot of evidence to back up the Atkins
> diet, both its effectiveness and its safety. Also, if some people
> misinterpret the diet - which is certainly true - that is not a reflection
> on the diet, is it? The two main misrepresentations that I have seen are
> that you can eat as much as you want of any food as long as it is low in
> carbs, and that vegetables are minimized. Both are completely false.
> Unfortunately there are some people who are anti-Atkins for psychological
> reasons. Grow up!

What the study showed was that Atkins was about as effective as any
other diet, that is, not effective in the long run. Almost all study
participants returned to original weight within a year.

Some of the results for blood cholesterol were much better than
expected.

My opinion (and it's strictly that, an opinion) is that any eating plan
that severely resticts a class of food like carbs is doomed. Few people
will be able to adopt it for any substantive length. Note that I don't
need a bunch of testimonials of the, "yer nuts I'm on it 20 years now it
works great" variety.

Brian Rodenborn

John Gaughan

Default User wrote:
> There's little or no evidence to back up their wild claims, and in
> fact one of the early Atkins guys has come out and said people have
> badly misinterpreted the original Atkins plan.

Atkins is badly misinterpreted. Everyone I talk to who just knows what
the media tells them about it thinks it is "zero carb" or some such
nonsense. I can eat about 100 grams of carbs a day and be fine. That is
a third of what the USDA says, but still, it is hardly less than 20 a
day. I eat whole grain bread and tons of vegetables and I seem to do fine.

Besides, there is little or no evidence for many things about dieting.
Most of the diet "facts" are distorted and taken out of context -- even
Atkins. Low fat, low carb, whatever, they all have their zealots who
champion their cause.

Personally, I feel great on Atkins -- tons of energy, stable weight
loss, stable blood sugar (no spikes or highs), and I almost never get
sick. Clinical evidence be damned, I found what works for me. ****
everyone else :-)

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

>>I'm afraid it's not that simple as a question of taste. 95% stenosis
>>tells the tale.

> Eggs ain't at fault.
> Serum tryglicerides are raised more by sugar and starches, not fat.
>
> Go on the Atkins diet.

Were I you I certainly would not advise a cardiac patient with a problem
of stenosis of any amount to go on the Atkins diet.
That should be up to his doctor.
High cholesterol has more factors involved than you obviously are aware.

John Gaughan

> My opinion (and it's strictly that, an opinion) is that any eating
> plan that severely resticts a class of food like carbs is doomed. Few
> people will be able to adopt it for any substantive length. Note that
> I don't need a bunch of testimonials of the, "yer nuts I'm on it 20
> years now it works great" variety.

Good point. But I look at it this way -- I don't severely limit my
carbs, I just eat "better" carbs (whole grains and vegetables instead of
refined grains, fructose syrup, starch, and sugar), and less than the
USDA thinks I should eat.

I think, as you suggest, that will power is a big part of it. There are
quite a few people who cannot stick to a diet long term, or who cheat
all the time. They only cheat themselves.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Arri London

Michel Boucher wrote:

> I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two
> separate properly oiled metal pans and both times, the bottom became
> coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on the pan
> surface as it was cooking.
>
> It took quite a long time to get the stuff off.
>
> So, those with more experience, do you use a non-stick pan with egg-
> beaters or do you just not bother with them because they give the same
> result no matter what?

My mother uses egg beaters and she just gave up. Now they are fried with
a little oil in the pan. But at least her cholesterol and triglycerides
have gone down somewhat since reducing eggs and saturated fats, so it's
worth the effort.

Your reply makes good sense. There is NO diet that a person can live on
for any length of time and do so without sacrificing important vitamins
and minerals plus enzymes etc.
A balanced diet it the diet for a long life. One can include a diet
with or without meat but a diet that forgoes carbohydrates for a long
period of time can cause problems with brain function. Obviously this
is true just read the responses of the Atkins Addicts. There cognitive
abilities are gone.

> My opinion (and it's strictly that, an opinion) is that any eating plan
> that severely resticts a class of food like carbs is doomed. Few people
> will be able to adopt it for any substantive length. Note that I don't
> need a bunch of testimonials of the, "yer nuts I'm on it 20 years now it
> works great" variety.
>

> Brian Rodenborn

The Eggbeaters product is sterile and can be used for many applications
that a fresh egg can not be used. If one is restricting dietary intake
of cholesterol this is an easy way to do it by using the product.
They taste very good, afterall...an egg salad really is just the taste
of the condiments added to the egg product. Celery, onion or chives,
mayo and mustard and a topping of caviar makes it very good.

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:58:43 GMT, wrote:
>

>>Try doing them in the microwave using olive oil spray as a non stick
>>device. For this I just use a glass pie plate and I do the same thing
>>when making egg salad from the beaters.

> Why would use use Egg Beaters for making egg salad? You could
> just remove the yolks and have a much better end-product. Egg
> Beaters are simply egg whites with food coloring, at more than
> twice the price.
>
> -sw

Loki

il Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:43:27 GMT, "Vox Humana" ha scritto:

> Dupont says that their non-stick coatings are dishwasher safe and I nearly
> always put mine in the dishwasher. I agree that a very thin coating of oil
> helps, but I don't like the non-stick sprays like PAM. The sprays seem to
> cause a sticky film in the long run.

Oh I'm very low-tech - a squirt or dribble from the oil bottle is
what I mean by thin. :-) . They may also be dishwasher safe, but this
is about assisting them to stay non-stick And nothing easier to do
than a qick swish with hot water and brush after using them. Not
letting the food dry on the pan helps heaps.

Cheers,

Wayne Boatwright

Michel Boucher > wrote in
:

> I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two
> separate properly oiled metal pans and both times, the bottom became
> coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on the pan
> surface as it was cooking.
>
> It took quite a long time to get the stuff off.
>
> So, those with more experience, do you use a non-stick pan with egg-
> beaters or do you just not bother with them because they give the same
> result no matter what?

Non-stick pan sprayed with Pam. It slides right off.

ConnieG999

Default User > writes:

>Note that I don't
>need a bunch of testimonials of the, "yer nuts I'm on it 20 years now it
>works great" variety.

Of course you don't. You're closed-minded and have already decided that you're
right. Unfortunately you aren't.

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

Katra

In article >,
Michel Boucher > wrote:

> Frogleg > wrote in
> :
>
> > On 26 Jan 2004 18:14:47 GMT, Michel Boucher >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two
> >>separate properly oiled metal pans and both times, the bottom
> >>became coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on
> >>the pan surface as it was cooking.

> > Why EggBeaters?

> Why not? I am testing various products at this point. I can usually
> get either 80% cholesterol reduced eggs or egg whites only (I also do
> eat regular eggs once or twice a week...always have), but that one
> time, the store I went to only had egg beaters. I have discovered this
> drawback to cooking them. I am asking whether others have had this
> experience. Sheesh...between you and Katra, I get no end of kvetching.

Ok, I'm sorry... ;-)

The recommendation made by most body building references recommend
tossing the yolks from 3 to 4 eggs. Add one egg yolk for flavor and
vitamins to every 3 to 4 eggwhites. :-)

I may be a low carb addict, but calories still count and cutting fat is
the easiest way to do so.

Not a fan of high carb, I follow the Greenwich diet.

Hence all the stir fry's. <G>

For eggs and related products, I use a well seasoned copper crepe pan if
I am cooking them by themselves. A small seasoned cast iron works well
too. While there is still some minor sticking, (seems to be an egg
thing), it cleans easily.

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Katra

In article >,
John Gaughan > wrote:

> Default User wrote:
> > There's little or no evidence to back up their wild claims, and in
> > fact one of the early Atkins guys has come out and said people have
> > badly misinterpreted the original Atkins plan.

> Atkins is badly misinterpreted. Everyone I talk to who just knows what
> the media tells them about it thinks it is "zero carb" or some such
> nonsense. I can eat about 100 grams of carbs a day and be fine. That is
> a third of what the USDA says, but still, it is hardly less than 20 a
> day. I eat whole grain bread and tons of vegetables and I seem to do fine.
>
> Besides, there is little or no evidence for many things about dieting.
> Most of the diet "facts" are distorted and taken out of context -- even
> Atkins. Low fat, low carb, whatever, they all have their zealots who
> champion their cause.
>
> Personally, I feel great on Atkins -- tons of energy, stable weight
> loss, stable blood sugar (no spikes or highs), and I almost never get
> sick. Clinical evidence be damned, I found what works for me. ****
> everyone else :-)
>
> --
> John Gaughan
> http://www.johngaughan.net/

And that is the whole secret... :-)
What works for you?

I like Greenwhich better as it promotes more fiber.
This mornings veggies were lightly steamed baby carrots, (real ones, not
the milled) with sliced radishes and a few leaves of bok choy, all
steamed and served with lemon butter. And those roosters that I culled.

As long as I avoid starch and sugar, my lipid levels stay down. Fat does
not seem to enter into the equation.

Interesting?????

But, it works for me, and dad, and Al and..........

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Frogleg

:

>> On 26 Jan 2004 18:14:47 GMT, Michel Boucher >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have cooked some egg beaters (at low temperature) twice in two
>>>separate properly oiled metal pans and both times, the bottom
>>>became coated with a residue from the egg beaters, drying right on
>>>the pan surface as it was cooking.

>> Why EggBeaters?

>Why not? I am testing various products at this point. I can usually
>get either 80% cholesterol reduced eggs or egg whites only (I also do
>eat regular eggs once or twice a week...always have), but that one
>time, the store I went to only had egg beaters. I have discovered this
>drawback to cooking them. I am asking whether others have had this
>experience. Sheesh...between you and Katra, I get no end of kvetching.

Sheesh! Sorry to have prevailed upon your patience. (Store had
EggBeaters but no eggs?) I didn't post in response to your original
query, and only when you mentioned some health problem thought to
suggest 'real' egg-whites as a thrifty alternative. Excuuuse me!

chef

Ehh ! Excuse my ignorance ....but what is/ are egg beaters ? I thought
immedeatly of balloon whisks but after reading a few of these postings I
think that is wrong ......confused ...
ttfn Andy