Robert

Default Vegetarian Seeking Smoker Grill Recipes

Hello,

My brother (who recently died from cancer) tricked me into buying a small
smoker grill last year. He asked me to pick him up a smoker grill from K-
mart that was on clearance. It can be used 4 ways. Grill, Smoker, broiler
and something else that I can't quite remember off hand. When I arrived at
his house with the grill he was already assembling HIS grill.

I said WTF?!?! You asked me to pick this up for you!

His response was: "yea, I knew you wouldn't buy one for yourself if I had
just asked you to"

The smoker grill was for sale for only 20 bucks! Normally like $150 It was
one of the BEST purchases I've ever made! And he was RIGHT! I wouldn't have
purchasedit had he not tricked me into buying it!

Anyway, he taught me ALOT about smoking meat. What types of wood to use for
the type of meat. Apple wood works best with pork. Oak for this type of
meat. Certain types of wood for smoking fish. etc.......

I've recently been trying to become a vegetarian (since new years) but
STILL want to use my smoker. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on
Smoked Veggies meals? Skewers? Smoked Fajitas? Anything? and if so, what
kind of wood should be used? I'm assuming one should use a more mild wood,
like apple or cherry to smoke vegetables. Oak seems to be a "universal"
wood when smoking meat. Cherry seems to be a bit bitter for veggies. So
what wood should one use to smoke vegies?

I've looked all over the WWW but can only find matchings for woods/meat or
seafood. Not much out there for types of wood and smoked veggies.

Smoked Potatoes
Smoked Corn on the cob
Smoked Veggie Medley's

It has to be possible, and probably takes much less time than smoking meat.

Any other grilled veggie recipes would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to some responses!

Robert
jmcquown

> Smoked Potatoes
> Smoked Corn on the cob
> Smoked Veggie Medley's
>
> It has to be possible, and probably takes much less time than smoking
> meat.
>
> Any other grilled veggie recipes would also be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to some responses!
>
> Robert

Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. He did you a huge favor,
though, didn't he? <S> You do realize you can just grill on that smoker,
right? Hmmm, I don't know where you are. Grilled veggies seem like a
spring/summer thing to me.

Hickory chips may seem a bit heavy but believe me, when you toss some fresh
corn on the cob on that sucker with some soaked hickory chips in the coals,
it's heavenly!

Be sure to soak the corn in the husks in water for about an hour first; the
husks will start to char but as long as you keep turning them, won't burn.
Tip: peel back the husks and remove the cornsilk, then wrap the husks back
around the corn. Another good tip is layer some fresh herbs along the cob,
like basil, rosemary, thyme, before wrapping the husks back. Brushing the
cob with olive oil is helpful.

You can easily grill sliced veggies, too. I love grilled zucchini and
yellow squash, sliced lengthwise. It has a naturally sweet taste; simply
brush with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. You can make
"kabobs" with cherry tomatos, chunks of bell pepper, pineapple, things like
that.

Good eats! Too bad you gave up on spare ribs

Jill

Donna Rose

In article >,
says...
>Hello,
>
>My brother (who recently died from cancer) tricked me into buying a small
>smoker grill last year. He asked me to pick him up a smoker grill from K-
>mart that was on clearance. It can be used 4 ways. Grill, Smoker, broiler
>and something else that I can't quite remember off hand. When I arrived at
>his house with the grill he was already assembling HIS grill.
>
>I said WTF?!?! You asked me to pick this up for you!
>
>His response was: "yea, I knew you wouldn't buy one for yourself if I had
>just asked you to"
>
>The smoker grill was for sale for only 20 bucks! Normally like $150 It was
>one of the BEST purchases I've ever made! And he was RIGHT! I wouldn't have
>purchasedit had he not tricked me into buying it!
>
>Anyway, he taught me ALOT about smoking meat. What types of wood to use for
>the type of meat. Apple wood works best with pork. Oak for this type of
>meat. Certain types of wood for smoking fish. etc.......
>
>I've recently been trying to become a vegetarian (since new years) but
>STILL want to use my smoker. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on
>Smoked Veggies meals? Skewers? Smoked Fajitas? Anything? and if so, what
>kind of wood should be used? I'm assuming one should use a more mild wood,
>like apple or cherry to smoke vegetables. Oak seems to be a "universal"
>wood when smoking meat. Cherry seems to be a bit bitter for veggies. So
>what wood should one use to smoke vegies?
>
>I've looked all over the WWW but can only find matchings for woods/meat or
>seafood. Not much out there for types of wood and smoked veggies.
>
>Smoked Potatoes
>Smoked Corn on the cob
>Smoked Veggie Medley's
>
>It has to be possible, and probably takes much less time than smoking meat.
>

>Any other grilled veggie recipes would also be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to some responses!
>
>Robert

You might ask the good folks at alt.food.barbecue. Lots of knowledge
about smoking and grilling in that group, although I don't know that I'd
admit to being a vegetarian there - you might just say you're looking for
ways to expand your repertoire and want some info on vegetable smoking/
grilling.
--
Donna
A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

To reply, remove the SPAM BLOCK
Robert

Thanks for the tips! I can't wait to try them! I realize I can "just" grill
the veggies, but I was really getting into the whole "science" of smoking
foods. Pairing the right wood and foods together was a lot of fun.

I was getting REALLY good at the smoked ribs too! When I was a little boy,
my dad and I planted an apple tree in the back yard. Last year a storm tore
half the tree away. It Just Split the tree down the middle! I dried a bunch
of that wood and Damn did it go good with ribs! Oak is one of the most
versatile woods for smoking meats, but to be honest if a storm comes by
again and tears the other half of that tree down, I'll be smoking me some
more ribs!! Vegatarian or not! Apple wood and ribs go great together.
Also helps to put a pan of apple juice underneath the ribs for more flavor.

I live in Northern Wisconsin and right now it's 5 degrees out and the wind
chill is suppose to dip down into the Negative 30's tonight! For some
reason the colder it gets, the more of a desire I have to fire up that old
smoker grill! It's too hot here to use it in the summer time! LOL!

I also make my own Jalapeno wine and was wondering if I soaked wood chips
in the wine how it would affect the flavor of whatever food I'm smoking. Or
if I put a pan of wine underneath the grilled food, It should instill a
mild jalapeno flavor into it.....hmmmm
The wine was GREAT for marinating Filet Mignon's or Venison
steaks.....might have to try some meat with the smoker after all.....I WANT
to be a vegetarian but have TOO many ideas floating around my head to
dedicate myself fully to it.

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

>> Smoked Potatoes
>> Smoked Corn on the cob
>> Smoked Veggie Medley's
>>
>> It has to be possible, and probably takes much less time than smoking
>> meat.
>>
>> Any other grilled veggie recipes would also be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to some responses!
>>
>> Robert

> Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. He did you a huge
> favor, though, didn't he? <S> You do realize you can just grill on
> that smoker, right? Hmmm, I don't know where you are. Grilled
> veggies seem like a spring/summer thing to me.
>
> Hickory chips may seem a bit heavy but believe me, when you toss some
> fresh corn on the cob on that sucker with some soaked hickory chips in
> the coals, it's heavenly!
>
> Be sure to soak the corn in the husks in water for about an hour
> first; the husks will start to char but as long as you keep turning
> them, won't burn. Tip: peel back the husks and remove the cornsilk,
> then wrap the husks back around the corn. Another good tip is layer
> some fresh herbs along the cob, like basil, rosemary, thyme, before
> wrapping the husks back. Brushing the cob with olive oil is helpful.
>
> You can easily grill sliced veggies, too. I love grilled zucchini and
> yellow squash, sliced lengthwise. It has a naturally sweet taste;
> simply brush with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
> You can make "kabobs" with cherry tomatos, chunks of bell pepper,
> pineapple, things like that.
>
> Good eats! Too bad you gave up on spare ribs
>
> Jill

Robert

>>Robert
>>

> You might ask the good folks at alt.food.barbecue. Lots of knowledge
> about smoking and grilling in that group, although I don't know that
> I'd admit to being a vegetarian there - you might just say you're
> looking for ways to expand your repertoire and want some info on
> vegetable smoking/ grilling.

Thanks for the tip. I'll repost my post there and see what kind of
accept all kinds, even vegetarians. Besides, I have a feeling that my
smoker grill might lead to my downfall from the world of vegetables.

Smoked Pork Chops using Dried apple wood.....takes about 6 hours to cook,
but Holy Crap! Are they ever Good!

BOB

Robert wrote:
>>> Robert
>>>

>> You might ask the good folks at alt.food.barbecue. Lots of knowledge
>> about smoking and grilling in that group, although I don't know that
>> I'd admit to being a vegetarian there - you might just say you're
>> looking for ways to expand your repertoire and want some info on
>> vegetable smoking/ grilling.

> Thanks for the tip. I'll repost my post there and see what kind of
> accept all kinds, even vegetarians. Besides, I have a feeling that my
> smoker grill might lead to my downfall from the world of vegetables.
>
> Smoked Pork Chops using Dried apple wood.....takes about 6 hours to cook,
> but Holy Crap! Are they ever Good!

If you ask properly over there, you'll get the responses that you are looking
for. We might even ask *you* for some ideas.

Just be aware that alt.food.barbecue gets trolled by a bunch of idiots, and
those proclaiming that vegetables are the answer to any/every thing will *NOT*
be welcomed.

BOB

Robert

" BOB" > wrote in
:

>>> You might ask the good folks at alt.food.barbecue. Lots of
>>> knowledge about smoking and grilling in that group, although I don't
>>> know that I'd admit to being a vegetarian there - you might just say
>>> you're looking for ways to expand your repertoire and want some info
>>> on vegetable smoking/ grilling.

>> Thanks for the tip. I'll repost my post there and see what kind of
>> accept all kinds, even vegetarians. Besides, I have a feeling that my
>> smoker grill might lead to my downfall from the world of vegetables.
>>

>> Smoked Pork Chops using Dried apple wood.....takes about 6 hours to
>> cook, but Holy Crap! Are they ever Good!

> If you ask properly over there, you'll get the responses that you are
> looking for. We might even ask *you* for some ideas.
>
> Just be aware that alt.food.barbecue gets trolled by a bunch of
> idiots, and those proclaiming that vegetables are the answer to
> any/every thing will *NOT* be welcomed.
>
> BOB

Ahhh, that's not me. I'm trying to be a vegetarian for personal reasons.
Not trying to tell anyone else how to live; just looking for some advice
and that seems like a good group to go to.

BOB

Robert wrote:
> " BOB" > wrote in
> :

>>> Thanks for the tip. I'll repost my post there and see what kind of
>>> accept all kinds, even vegetarians. Besides, I have a feeling that my
>>> smoker grill might lead to my downfall from the world of vegetables.
>>>

>>> Smoked Pork Chops using Dried apple wood.....takes about 6 hours to
>>> cook, but Holy Crap! Are they ever Good!

>> If you ask properly over there, you'll get the responses that you are
>> looking for. We might even ask *you* for some ideas.
>>
>> Just be aware that alt.food.barbecue gets trolled by a bunch of
>> idiots, and those proclaiming that vegetables are the answer to
>> any/every thing will *NOT* be welcomed.
>>
>> BOB
>>

> Ahhh, that's not me. I'm trying to be a vegetarian for personal reasons.
> Not trying to tell anyone else how to live; just looking for some advice
> and that seems like a good group to go to.

You'll more than likely be welcomed by all. I was just mentioning the fact, in
case someone's sensitivity might be showing because of a recent attack of the
trolls. They are even pretty good at forging headers and taking on the
identities of regulars in the froup.
8-)

BOB

The Renegade Chef

Pizza cooked over hickory chips is wonderful. Simply make your pizza
dough as usual and flop it onto the grill when the chips start smoking.
Cook on one side for a few minutes, then flip over and cook on the other
side a few minutes. Remove from grill, paint on a thin layer of olive
oil, followed by a slathering of tomato sauce, then cheese and veggie
toppings. Slide onto to smoking grill but this time on highest grid
level. Leave for 10 mins. or so till cheese is melted and topping are
heated through. Be careful not to burn bottom to a crisp. I put the
pizza dough directly on the grid, no stone, no pizza pan, nothing.
Delish! Good luck!

Robert wrote:

>Hello,
>
>My brother (who recently died from cancer) tricked me into buying a small
>smoker grill last year. He asked me to pick him up a smoker grill from K-
>mart that was on clearance. It can be used 4 ways. Grill, Smoker, broiler
>and something else that I can't quite remember off hand. When I arrived at
>his house with the grill he was already assembling HIS grill.
>
>I said WTF?!?! You asked me to pick this up for you!
>
>His response was: "yea, I knew you wouldn't buy one for yourself if I had
>just asked you to"
>
>The smoker grill was for sale for only 20 bucks! Normally like $150 It was
>one of the BEST purchases I've ever made! And he was RIGHT! I wouldn't have
>purchasedit had he not tricked me into buying it!
>
>Anyway, he taught me ALOT about smoking meat. What types of wood to use for
>the type of meat. Apple wood works best with pork. Oak for this type of
>meat. Certain types of wood for smoking fish. etc.......
>
>I've recently been trying to become a vegetarian (since new years) but
>STILL want to use my smoker. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on
>Smoked Veggies meals? Skewers? Smoked Fajitas? Anything? and if so, what
>kind of wood should be used? I'm assuming one should use a more mild wood,
>like apple or cherry to smoke vegetables. Oak seems to be a "universal"
>wood when smoking meat. Cherry seems to be a bit bitter for veggies. So
>what wood should one use to smoke vegies?
>
>I've looked all over the WWW but can only find matchings for woods/meat or
>seafood. Not much out there for types of wood and smoked veggies.
>
>Smoked Potatoes
>Smoked Corn on the cob
>Smoked Veggie Medley's
>
>It has to be possible, and probably takes much less time than smoking meat.
>

>Any other grilled veggie recipes would also be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to some responses!
>
>Robert

Member

There are really nice ideas to make a Vegetarian Grill Recipes.....!!!! Thanks to all for these nice ideas....!!!!

Grill/Smoker???? 43fan Barbecue 15 06-12-2005 12:18 AM
Seeking Cajun Vegetarian Dishes.... Wharfrat General Cooking 3 05-08-2005 04:34 PM
Creating My Own Grill and Smoker Alan Barbecue 7 05-03-2005 03:29 PM
Creating My Own Grill and Smoker Alan Barbecue 0 23-02-2005 01:36 AM
Smoker box for new Weber Grill Pete Barbecue 6 11-04-2004 06:11 PM