FoodBanter.com

-   -   good jello/fruit combos? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/3691-good-jello-fruit-combos.html)

JLove98905 20-01-2004 03:04 AM

good jello/fruit combos?

I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other stuff) in it.
What combos work the best in your hands?
-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Mark Thorson 20-01-2004 03:14 AM

good jello/fruit combos?

JLove98905 wrote:

> I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other stuff) in it.
> What combos work the best in your hands?

I can tell you one combo that _doesn't_ work:
fresh pineapple and any flavor of Jello.

Canned pineapple works just fine, but fresh
is a disaster. Care to guess why?

Puester 20-01-2004 03:16 AM

good jello/fruit combos?

JLove98905 wrote:

> I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other stuff) in it.
> What combos work the best in your hands?
> -Jen
> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

A classic is strawberry jello with strawberries, pineapple,
walnuts and bananas, with a layer of sour cream. (Canned
pineapple because fresh contains an enzyme which interferes
with jelling.)

gloria p

Wayne Boatwright 20-01-2004 03:37 AM

good jello/fruit combos?

OSPAM (JLove98905) wrote in
:

> I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other stuff)
> in it. What combos work the best in your hands?
> -Jen

Just fruit and Jello, no additional ingredients?

- thawed frozen or fresh sliced strawberries, canned crushed pineapple,
and diced banana in straberry-banana Jello

- halved and pitted black cherries in black cherry Jello (I also add
broken toasted pecan pieces)

Below is the current list of Jell-O flavors. Also their website.
Pay around!

Wayne

http://www.kraftfoods.com/jello/main...family_gelatin

Apricot
Berry Blue
Black Cherry
Cherry
Cranberry
Cranberry Raspberry
Grape
Island Pineapple
Lemon
Lime
Mango
Mixed Fruit
Orange
Peach
Raspberry
Strawberry
Strawberry-Banana
Strawberry Kiwi
White Grape
Wild Strawberry

patti 20-01-2004 03:43 AM

good jello/fruit combos?

canned sliced or chopped pears with pecans, cream cheese and lime jello

or

mandarin oranges with orange jello made with ginger ale instead of cold
water

Wayne Boatwright 20-01-2004 03:46 AM

good jello/fruit combos?

OSPAM (JLove98905) wrote in
:

> I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other stuff)
> in it. What combos work the best in your hands?
> -Jen

Oops! I missed the "or other stuff".

- diced red apple, diced celery, broken toasted walnuts in Lemon Jell-O
(you can also sub up to 1/2 cup mayo for part of the cold water)

This one may seem a little odd or even weird, but it's surprisingly
tasty...

- substitute V-8 Juice for both the hot and cold liquid using lemon Jell-O;
add a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, a half teaspoon Tobasco sauce, a
little grated onion, diced celery, chopped stuffed olives, etc.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright 20-01-2004 03:48 AM

good jello/fruit combos?

Mark Thorson > wrote in
:

> JLove98905 wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other
>> stuff) in it. What combos work the best in your hands?

> I can tell you one combo that _doesn't_ work:
> fresh pineapple and any flavor of Jello.
>
> Canned pineapple works just fine, but fresh
> is a disaster. Care to guess why?

Sure, enzymes. The same reason fresh papaya won't work. The enzymes
prevent jelling.

Wayne

Melba's Jammin' 20-01-2004 04:54 PM

good jello/fruit combos?

In article >,
OSPAM (JLove98905) wrote:

> I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other
> stuff) in it. What combos work the best in your hands?

> -Jen

My mom used to make Jell-O salads for holidays -- snooty folks here
would cringe at the thought. Either orange or lime Jell-O with shredded
carrots and finely chopped celery folded in. 9x13 pan. Cut in squares
and served with a dollop of mayo on top. Loved it.

Red Jell-O with banana slices folded in.
--
-Barb
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail;

Barry Grau 20-01-2004 06:02 PM

good jello/fruit combos?

OSPAM (JLove98905) wrote in message >...
> I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other stuff) in it.
> What combos work the best in your hands?
> -Jen
> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Calve's foot and garlic jello with horseradish.

-bwg
You Petcha

Sapphire 20-01-2004 06:11 PM

good jello/fruit combos?

On 20 Jan 2004 03:04:26 GMT, OSPAM (JLove98905)
wrote:

>I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other stuff) in it.
>What combos work the best in your hands?
>-Jen

This is going to be much simpler than what most people will post. My
absolute favorite jello/fruit combo is simply sliced bananas in cherry
jello. Mmmmm.....

If I had bananas in the house, I'd go make some right now.

My grandma used to use the cans of "fruit cocktail" and mix that in
with varying flavors of jello, and that was good too. I personally
prefer the red flavors of jello, but I can see it being good in other
flavors too.

-Sapphire.

Thalocean2 20-01-2004 06:31 PM

good jello/fruit combos?

>My mom used to make Jell-O salads for holidays -- snooty folks here
>would cringe at the thought. Either orange or lime Jell-O with shredded
>carrots and finely chopped celery folded in. 9x13 pan. Cut in squares
>and served with a dollop of mayo on top. Loved it.
>

>-Barb

My mom makes a similar "aspec". She boils tomato juice with herbs such at
clove and bay leave, adds geltatin and pours this mixture over shredded
carrots, chopped celery and shrimp. She makes it in a bundt type pan and it's
always served with a dollop of mayonaise too.

Laura B.

Bookwyrm 20-01-2004 06:35 PM

good jello/fruit combos?

Sapphire wrote:

> On 20 Jan 2004 03:04:26 GMT, OSPAM (JLove98905)
> wrote:
>

>>I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other stuff) in it.
>>What combos work the best in your hands?
>>-Jen

> This is going to be much simpler than what most people will post. My
> absolute favorite jello/fruit combo is simply sliced bananas in cherry
> jello. Mmmmm.....
>
> If I had bananas in the house, I'd go make some right now.
>
> My grandma used to use the cans of "fruit cocktail" and mix that in
> with varying flavors of jello, and that was good too. I personally
> prefer the red flavors of jello, but I can see it being good in other
> flavors too.
>
> -Sapphire.

For family holiday dinners, I usually make lime jello with mandarin
orange sections, pineapple tidbits and sometimes pieces of grapefruit
sections.

'wyrm

Vox Humana 20-01-2004 08:41 PM

good jello/fruit combos?

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> OSPAM (JLove98905) wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other
> > stuff) in it. What combos work the best in your hands?

> > -Jen

> My mom used to make Jell-O salads for holidays -- snooty folks here
> would cringe at the thought. Either orange or lime Jell-O with shredded
> carrots and finely chopped celery folded in. 9x13 pan. Cut in squares
> and served with a dollop of mayo on top. Loved it.

Same here. We always had a Jell-O salad, sometimes two. I never make
Jell-O, but when I go to family events for the holidays, I look forward to
the Jell-O salads. One was raspberry Jell-o with frozen raspberries and
crushed pineapple. It was topped with sour cream and mini-marshmallows.
The other salad was lime Jell-O, whipped cream, cream cheese, and fruit
cocktail. Although these are classic salads from the 1960's and, as you
point out, consider gauche by foodies, they are part of my food memories.
That is why I think it is a mistake to get too avant-garde with holiday
menus at the expense of continuing family traditions.

Melba's Jammin' 20-01-2004 10:28 PM

good jello/fruit combos?

In article >,
(Thalocean2) wrote:

> >My mom used to make Jell-O salads for holidays -- snooty folks here
> >would cringe at the thought. Either orange or lime Jell-O with
> >shredded carrots and finely chopped celery folded in. 9x13 pan.
> >Cut in squares and served with a dollop of mayo on top. Loved it.
> >

> >-Barb

> My mom makes a similar "aspec". She boils tomato juice with herbs
> such at clove and bay leave, adds geltatin and pours this mixture
> over shredded carrots, chopped celery and shrimp. She makes it in a
> bundt type pan and it's always served with a dollop of mayonaise too.
> Laura B.

I like tomato aspic. I just might have to muck about with a pkg of Knox
unflavored gelatin and some V-8 juice that I have on hand. I've got
shrimps, celery, and carrots, too. Maybe a little grated onion, too.

Gina * 20-01-2004 10:36 PM

good jello/fruit combos?

>>I'm looking for some good combos for jello >>with fruit (or other

stuff) in it. What combos >>work the best in your hands?
>>-Jen

..
..
1): I like lime jello with canned grapefruit. One of my sisters like
lime jello with crushed pineapple.
2): Lemon jello made with strewed tomatoes, black olives, V-8,
dehygrated onion bits, garlic granules, tabasco makes a nice salad-y
side.

~~~Gina~~~

Kate ...... 20-01-2004 11:03 PM

good jello/fruit combos?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> OSPAM (JLove98905) wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for some good combos for jello with fruit (or other
> > stuff) in it. What combos work the best in your hands?

> > -Jen

> My mom used to make Jell-O salads for holidays -- snooty folks here
> would cringe at the thought. Either orange or lime Jell-O with shredded
> carrots and finely chopped celery folded in. 9x13 pan. Cut in squares
> and served with a dollop of mayo on top. Loved it.
>
> Red Jell-O with banana slices folded in.
> --
> -Barb
> A good friend will come and bail you out of jail;
> a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn,that was fun!"

A friend gave my mother, a recipe for a similar dish years ago. She served
it at Easter that year. I loved it . Have looked for years for the recipe.
She didn't keep it. Maybe I was the only one who liked it. I remember it
had lime jello, shredded cabbage and carrots, maybe crushed pineapple and
nuts. I remember it did have sliced bananas, too. I'm not sure but it may
have had mayo. Weird combination. hugs ..... kate

JLove98905 21-01-2004 01:28 AM

good jello/fruit combos?

>A classic is strawberry jello with strawberries, pineapple,
>walnuts and bananas, with a layer of sour cream.

Gloria,
Tell me more about this sour cream layer.....?

Snowfeet1 21-01-2004 04:15 AM

good jello/fruit combos?

Orange jello made with melted orange sherbet and mandarin oranges.

Gregory Morrow 21-01-2004 04:44 PM

good jello/fruit combos?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> My mom used to make Jell-O salads for holidays -- snooty folks here
> would cringe at the thought. Either orange or lime Jell-O with shredded
> carrots and finely chopped celery folded in. 9x13 pan. Cut in squares
> and served with a dollop of mayo on top. Loved it.
>
> Red Jell-O with banana slices folded in.

Lime Jello with grapefruit sections - refreshing on a hot summer's day!

--
Best
Greg

William Prien 21-01-2004 11:35 PM

good jello/fruit combos?

My Mother used to make a dessert combining strawberry Jello, fruit
cocktail and whipped cream. I make it now and use Cool-Whip, and vary
the Jello flavors. Lime or Cherry works well too. Very refreshing in
the Summer!

William

[email protected] 23-01-2004 02:42 AM

good jello/fruit combos?

JLove98905 > wrote:
>>A classic is strawberry jello with strawberries, pineapple,
>>walnuts and bananas, with a layer of sour cream.

> Gloria,
> Tell me more about this sour cream layer.....?
> -Jen

> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Actually, Steven Wright is wrong, but I don't want to go
into why.

As for jello and fruit, my favorite is diced canned peaches
in cherry jello. Yummy!

Sandy n ne 23-01-2004 04:18 AM

good jello/fruit combos?

my mother made orange jello with grated carrots, and pinapple tidbits. to this
day thats the only way I like jello.

Sandra