Bruce K.

Default Why does my first pancake always come out ugly?

I'm using Aunt Jemima mix.

First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
better after flipping.

When the second pancake is made the first side comes out pefrectlly.

Guess who eats the first pancake...

Thanks,

Bruce
Dave Smith

"Bruce K." wrote:

> I'm using Aunt Jemima mix.
>
> First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
> better after flipping.
>
> When the second pancake is made the first side comes out pefrectlly.

My guess would be that the pan is not hot enough. Heat it until a little
water splashed on the pan dances around. And for goodness sake, do
yourself a favour and get rid of the mix. Pancakes are very simple to
make and use pantry staples, flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk, egg
and oil or melted butter. Even better are buttermilk pancakes.

TLOlczyk

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:15:23 -0400, Bruce K.
> wrote:

>I'm using Aunt Jemima mix.
>
>First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
>better after flipping.
>
>When the second pancake is made the first side comes out pefrectlly.
>
>Guess who eats the first pancake...

As an aside, the way I make pancakes is to follow this cycle:
1) Wipe skillet surface with butter, quickly wip up excess.
( This is tricky, you have to do both quick or you will burn
yourself. ) with heat low.
2) Pour batter on *hot* skillet.
3) The batter quickly produces bubbles. wait untill the batter is
almost 100% "bubbly"
4) Flip turn heat on high. Wait a while, checking the uncooked side.
5) When cooked remove go to 1.

The only time the heat is on a non low temperature, is in 4. Generally
the pan stays hot during the rest, but it takes a bit of timing.

This way of cooking is very sensitive to the temperature of the pan.
If I let it cool too much in 3 or I heat it too much in 4, it upsets
the cycle.

It is very important to get the skillet hot enough for the first
pancake. I suggest that you check the skillet for heat on the first
one. Take a drop of room temp water and drop on skillet. It should
boil immediately and all the water should vanish within 2 seconds.
Otherwise the pan is not hot enough.

The reply-to email address is .
This is an address I ignore.
To reply via email, remove 2002 and change yahoo to
interaccess,

**
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD

There is a difference between
*thinking* you know something,
and *knowing* you know something.
TLOlczyk

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:15:23 -0400, Bruce K.
> wrote:

>I'm using Aunt Jemima mix.
>
>First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
>better after flipping.
>
>When the second pancake is made the first side comes out pefrectlly.
>
>Guess who eats the first pancake...

As an aside, the way I make pancakes is to follow this cycle:
1) Wipe skillet surface with butter, quickly wip up excess.
( This is tricky, you have to do both quick or you will burn
yourself. ) with heat low.
2) Pour batter on *hot* skillet.
3) The batter quickly produces bubbles. wait untill the batter is
almost 100% "bubbly"
4) Flip turn heat on high. Wait a while, checking the uncooked side.
5) When cooked remove go to 1.

The only time the heat is on a non low temperature, is in 4. Generally
the pan stays hot during the rest, but it takes a bit of timing.

This way of cooking is very sensitive to the temperature of the pan.
If I let it cool too much in 3 or I heat it too much in 4, it upsets
the cycle.

It is very important to get the skillet hot enough for the first
pancake. I suggest that you check the skillet for heat on the first
one. Take a drop of room temp water and drop on skillet. It should
boil immediately and all the water should vanish within 2 seconds.
Otherwise the pan is not hot enough.

The reply-to email address is .
This is an address I ignore.
To reply via email, remove 2002 and change yahoo to
interaccess,

**
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD

There is a difference between
*thinking* you know something,
and *knowing* you know something.
ScratchMonkey

Bruce K. > wrote in
:

> First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
> better after flipping.

It's probably picking up the excess shortening on the pan. Never bothers me
because that one goes on the bottom of the stack, and I eat them in layers
so I never see it again.

(My recipe is Bisquick, eggs, and buttermilk, plus some orange zest. I like
mine thin, so I add regular milk to thin the batter.)

TLOlczyk

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:21:05 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>"Bruce K." wrote:
>
>> I'm using Aunt Jemima mix.
>>
>> First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
>> better after flipping.
>>
>> When the second pancake is made the first side comes out pefrectlly.
>>

>My guess would be that the pan is not hot enough. Heat it until a little
>water splashed on the pan dances around. And for goodness sake, do
>yourself a favour and get rid of the mix. Pancakes are very simple to
>make and use pantry staples, flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk, egg
>and oil or melted butter. Even better are buttermilk pancakes.

Does Bisquick count as a mix?

The reply-to email address is .
This is an address I ignore.
To reply via email, remove 2002 and change yahoo to
interaccess,

**
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD

There is a difference between
*thinking* you know something,
and *knowing* you know something.
JimLane

Bruce K. wrote:
> I'm using Aunt Jemima mix.
>
> First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
> better after flipping.
>
> When the second pancake is made the first side comes out pefrectlly.
>
> Guess who eats the first pancake...
>

> Thanks,
>
> Bruce

Your dog?

jim
JimLane

Bruce K. wrote:
> I'm using Aunt Jemima mix.
>
> First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
> better after flipping.
>
> When the second pancake is made the first side comes out pefrectlly.
>
> Guess who eats the first pancake...
>

> Thanks,
>
> Bruce

Your dog?

jim
Dimitri

"Bruce K." > wrote in message
> I'm using Aunt Jemima mix.
>
> First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
> better after flipping.
>
> When the second pancake is made the first side comes out pefrectlly.
>
> Guess who eats the first pancake...
>

> Thanks,
>
> Bruce

Usually there are 2 reasons:

A: The pan is not at the proper temperature. "blotchy" to me would
indicate the pan is too hot.
B. The pan is not properly oiled.
C. All of the above.

Dimitri

"Bruce K." > wrote in message
> I'm using Aunt Jemima mix.
>
> First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
> better after flipping.
>
> When the second pancake is made the first side comes out pefrectlly.
>
> Guess who eats the first pancake...
>

> Thanks,
>
> Bruce

Usually there are 2 reasons:

A: The pan is not at the proper temperature. "blotchy" to me would
indicate the pan is too hot.
B. The pan is not properly oiled.
C. All of the above.

Felice Friese

"Bruce K." > wrote in message
> I'm using Aunt Jemima mix.
>
> First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
> better after flipping.
>
> When the second pancake is made the first side comes out pefrectlly.
>
> Guess who eats the first pancake...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruce

Some wit once compared the first pancake to the first child, claiming that
the first ones never came out right and you might as well just throw them
away.

Felice
A first child

Dave Smith

TLOlczyk wrote:

> >water splashed on the pan dances around. And for goodness sake, do
> >yourself a favour and get rid of the mix. Pancakes are very simple to
> >make and use pantry staples, flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk, egg
> >and oil or melted butter. Even better are buttermilk pancakes.

> Does Bisquick count as a mix?

In my books anything that comes premixed and contains only basic kitchen
staples is a mix and usually a waste of money. There is nothing in pancakes
that should not be on hand in a kitchen of even a rank amateur cook. The same
goes for biscuits.

Speaking of pancakes........ I was in the grocery store last week helping my
mother with her weekly shopping. I saw a guy walk by with three boxes of Eggos
and three 1/2 liter bottles of maple syrup, the real stuff not "pancake syrup"
(yech). I couldn't help but think that there was a guy who really liked syrup
on his waffles. Maybe he should have used a cart of a basket because while
he was standing in line to check out he dropped a bottle of syrup. What a
mess.

Lynn Gifford

ScratchMonkey > wrote in message news:<

> (My recipe is Bisquick, eggs, and buttermilk, plus some orange zest. I like
> mine thin, so I add regular milk to thin the batter.)

_____________________________
I like 'em thin too - hate the thick fluffy dry ones - they give me
cotton mouth. Try making the batter (from a mix is fine) the night
before then thin it with milk before you cook. Voila - thin & tender -
like crepes.
Lynn in Fargo
Lynn Gifford

ScratchMonkey > wrote in message news:<

> (My recipe is Bisquick, eggs, and buttermilk, plus some orange zest. I like
> mine thin, so I add regular milk to thin the batter.)

_____________________________
I like 'em thin too - hate the thick fluffy dry ones - they give me
cotton mouth. Try making the batter (from a mix is fine) the night
before then thin it with milk before you cook. Voila - thin & tender -
like crepes.
Lynn in Fargo
Andy

JimLane > wrote in news:1096398049.417178@news-
1.nethere.net:

> Bruce K. wrote:
>> I'm using Aunt Jemima mix.
>>
>> First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
>> better after flipping.
>>
>> When the second pancake is made the first side comes out pefrectlly.
>>
>> Guess who eats the first pancake...
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bruce

> Your dog?
>

> jim

Jim,

That brings back a great memory. One breakfast, we gave our dog a
pancake. She prompty took it outside and buried it... "for tough times,"
we figured.

Andy

Jimmy G

Your book is bogus. Bisquick makes the best pancakes for the $.

-L. :

Bruce K. > wrote in message >. ..
> I'm using Aunt Jemima mix.
>
> First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
> better after flipping.
>
> When the second pancake is made the first side comes out pefrectlly.
>
> Guess who eats the first pancake...

The dogs? At least here they do...

The reason is because it absorbs too much oil. Once the excess oil is
gone, the other cakes come out perfectly.

-L.
Grismalkin

>I'm using Aunt Jemima mix.
>
>First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
>better after flipping.
>
>When the second pancake is made the first side comes out pefrectlly.
>
>Guess who eats the first pancake...
>

>Thanks,
>
>Bruce

The first pancake or crepe never comes out right. There is some sort of
natural law about this.
Paul M. Cook©®

"Bruce K." > wrote in message
> I'm using Aunt Jemima mix.
>
> First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
> better after flipping.
>
> When the second pancake is made the first side comes out pefrectlly.
>
> Guess who eats the first pancake...

Who cares what it looks like? I mean it tastes the same. The first pancake
always comes out odd because the pan is usually not yet evenly heated and or
you are using too much shortening. I use a heavy skillet, let the pan heat
slowly while I make the batter then I apply just a touch of shortening using
a paper towel. The first cake is still a tad weird but quite edible.

Paul

Paul M. Cook©®

"Jimmy G" > wrote in message
> Your book is bogus. Bisquick makes the best pancakes for the $.

Bleh!

Try making them fresh - it's haredly any more work and the pancakes are so
much better. Add a touch of cornmeal, about 2 tablespoons, and you'll
really have a taste treat that Bisquick can't touch.

Paul

Paul M. Cook©®

"Jimmy G" > wrote in message
> Your book is bogus. Bisquick makes the best pancakes for the $.

Bleh!

Try making them fresh - it's haredly any more work and the pancakes are so
much better. Add a touch of cornmeal, about 2 tablespoons, and you'll
really have a taste treat that Bisquick can't touch.

Paul

Darryl L. Pierce

Bruce K. wrote:

> I'm using Aunt Jemima mix.

First suggestion is to get rid of this. Pancake mix is so easy to make that
buying prepared mixes is really unnecessary.

> First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
> better after flipping.

What do you mean by "blotchy"? Perhaps your cooking surface is too hot? When
you flip the pancake, the first side has already absorbed a lot of the
surface heat and the surface is playing constant catch up..

I heat my electric griddle until water beads and dances on the surface but
not until it instantly vaporizes; i.e., about 325F or so.

--
/**
* @author Darryl L. Pierce >
Becca

Grismalkin wrote:

> The first pancake or crepe never comes out right. There is some sort of
> natural law about this.

My mother said you always throw out the first husband and the first
pancake.

Becca
ScratchMonkey

"Felice Friese" > wrote in

> Some wit once compared the first pancake to the first child, claiming
> that the first ones never came out right and you might as well just
> throw them away.
>
> Felice
> A first child

LOL

I'm another first child. OTOH, tragically, my parents in many attempts
suffered several miscarriages before me (and one after) and I was as a
result unexpected (but not unwanted).
ScratchMonkey

"Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in

> "Jimmy G" > wrote in message
>> Your book is bogus. Bisquick makes the best pancakes for the $.
>>

> Bleh!
>
> Try making them fresh - it's haredly any more work and the pancakes
> are so much better. Add a touch of cornmeal, about 2 tablespoons,
> and you'll really have a taste treat that Bisquick can't touch.

Isn't Bisquick just flour, shortening, and baking powder? The hard part is
probably cutting in the shortening, so the mix arguably saves a difficult
step.

I'll have to try the cornmeal. Is it anything like "Cream of Wheat"
pancakes? (IHOP sells these as "Country Griddle Cakes".) I've loved those
since I was a kid.
Dave Smith

ScratchMonkey wrote:

> Isn't Bisquick just flour, shortening, and baking powder? The hard part is
> probably cutting in the shortening, so the mix arguably saves a difficult
> step.

It's the only part of the recipe that requires any real work, but I wouldn't
call it difficult. It is, however, the important step that makes the
difference in texture that distinguishes a biscuit made from a mix and one
made from scratch. For the 30-40 seconds it takes to cut in shortening it is
hardly worth it.

> I'll have to try the cornmeal. Is it anything like "Cream of Wheat"
> pancakes? (IHOP sells these as "Country Griddle Cakes".) I've loved those
> since I was a kid.

I don't think I would want to try pancakes made with cornmeal in them unless
it had been precooked. You can put cooked grits or polenta into a pan and
allow it to set, and then cut out slices of it to be fried like a pancake.

The Cook

Dave Smith > wrote:

>ScratchMonkey wrote:
>
>> Isn't Bisquick just flour, shortening, and baking powder? The hard part is
>> probably cutting in the shortening, so the mix arguably saves a difficult
>> step.

>It's the only part of the recipe that requires any real work, but I wouldn't
>call it difficult. It is, however, the important step that makes the
>difference in texture that distinguishes a biscuit made from a mix and one
>made from scratch. For the 30-40 seconds it takes to cut in shortening it is
>hardly worth it.

The recipes I have seen for pancakes calls for liquid shortening.
Melting butter and stirring it in is not too much work is it?

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
The Cook

Dave Smith > wrote:

>ScratchMonkey wrote:
>
>> Isn't Bisquick just flour, shortening, and baking powder? The hard part is
>> probably cutting in the shortening, so the mix arguably saves a difficult
>> step.

>It's the only part of the recipe that requires any real work, but I wouldn't
>call it difficult. It is, however, the important step that makes the
>difference in texture that distinguishes a biscuit made from a mix and one
>made from scratch. For the 30-40 seconds it takes to cut in shortening it is
>hardly worth it.

The recipes I have seen for pancakes calls for liquid shortening.
Melting butter and stirring it in is not too much work is it?

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Dave Smith

The Cook wrote:

> >> Isn't Bisquick just flour, shortening, and baking powder? The hard part is
> >> probably cutting in the shortening, so the mix arguably saves a difficult
> >> step.

> >It's the only part of the recipe that requires any real work, but I wouldn't
> >call it difficult. It is, however, the important step that makes the
> >difference in texture that distinguishes a biscuit made from a mix and one
> >made from scratch. For the 30-40 seconds it takes to cut in shortening it is
> >hardly worth it.

> The recipes I have seen for pancakes calls for liquid shortening.
> Melting butter and stirring it in is not too much work is it?

Right you are. I usually use vegetable oil or melted butter but have seen recipes that call for
melted shortening. Any time I see that I usually use oil instead. However, the previous two
posts in the threat were referring to biscuits. I always make them from scratch, never from a
mix, and my favourite recipe advises to cut in the shortening until the pieces are pea sized. I
have a server size 4 prong fork kitchen fork that I use for cutting in the shortening. It takes
less than a minute and I consider that time and energy well spent for superlative results.

Dave Smith

The Cook wrote:

> >> Isn't Bisquick just flour, shortening, and baking powder? The hard part is
> >> probably cutting in the shortening, so the mix arguably saves a difficult
> >> step.

> >It's the only part of the recipe that requires any real work, but I wouldn't
> >call it difficult. It is, however, the important step that makes the
> >difference in texture that distinguishes a biscuit made from a mix and one
> >made from scratch. For the 30-40 seconds it takes to cut in shortening it is
> >hardly worth it.

> The recipes I have seen for pancakes calls for liquid shortening.
> Melting butter and stirring it in is not too much work is it?

Right you are. I usually use vegetable oil or melted butter but have seen recipes that call for
melted shortening. Any time I see that I usually use oil instead. However, the previous two
posts in the threat were referring to biscuits. I always make them from scratch, never from a
mix, and my favourite recipe advises to cut in the shortening until the pieces are pea sized. I
have a server size 4 prong fork kitchen fork that I use for cutting in the shortening. It takes
less than a minute and I consider that time and energy well spent for superlative results.

Dave Smith

Becca wrote:

> > The first pancake or crepe never comes out right. There is some sort of
> > natural law about this.

> My mother said you always throw out the first husband and the first
> pancake.

Maybe if your mother had learned how to cook for here husband she might have
been able to keep him :-)

Dave Smith

Becca wrote:

> > The first pancake or crepe never comes out right. There is some sort of
> > natural law about this.

> My mother said you always throw out the first husband and the first
> pancake.

Maybe if your mother had learned how to cook for here husband she might have
been able to keep him :-)

Nancy Young

Dave Smith wrote:

> Becca wrote:
>
> > > The first pancake or crepe never comes out right. There is some sort of
> > > natural law about this.

> > My mother said you always throw out the first husband and the first
> > pancake.

> Maybe if your mother had learned how to cook for here husband she might have
> been able to keep him :-)

Making pancakes is the husband's job. She probably dumped him for
his lousy pancake skills.

nancy
Nancy Young

Dave Smith wrote:

> Becca wrote:
>
> > > The first pancake or crepe never comes out right. There is some sort of
> > > natural law about this.

> > My mother said you always throw out the first husband and the first
> > pancake.

> Maybe if your mother had learned how to cook for here husband she might have
> been able to keep him :-)

Making pancakes is the husband's job. She probably dumped him for
his lousy pancake skills.

nancy
Kswck

"Bruce K." > wrote in message
> I'm using Aunt Jemima mix.
>
> First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
> better after flipping.
>
> When the second pancake is made the first side comes out pefrectlly.
>
> Guess who eats the first pancake...
>
> Give the pan a bit more time to heat up.

Kswck

"Bruce K." > wrote in message
> I'm using Aunt Jemima mix.
>
> First pancake ALWAYS comes out blotchy on the first side and slightly
> better after flipping.
>
> When the second pancake is made the first side comes out pefrectlly.
>
> Guess who eats the first pancake...
>
> Give the pan a bit more time to heat up.

Getting Old... Want to End it Before I Get Ugly. Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_13_] General Cooking 0 31-05-2016 01:51 PM
The Ugly Truth Somebody General Cooking 2 06-10-2012 09:24 AM
Favorite pancake mix? Favorite pancake fruit addition? Evette General Cooking 59 24-09-2009 11:56 PM
Why is Sencha so ugly Space Cowboy Tea 2 15-06-2009 05:07 PM
Original Pancake House Apple Pancake A D [[email protected]] Recipes (moderated) 0 14-10-2006 01:52 AM