j.j.

Default Alternative to Ground Beef?

Anyone have a good suggestion for a ground beef alternative that
you've tried and liked? I'm trying to avoid beef...

--
j.j. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
PENMART01

(j.j.)

>Anyone have a good suggestion for a ground beef?
>I'm trying to avoid beef...

"All Bran"

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

TonyP

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:02:09 +0000, j.j. wrote:

> Anyone have a good suggestion for a ground beef alternative that
> you've tried and liked? I'm trying to avoid beef...

We have been eating ground pork and ground turkey.

Ground pork doesn't have much flavor, great for scrambled meat dishes.
I'll bet you wouldn't know it wasn't beef if no one told you.

The ground turkey on the other hand, good for some things bad for most.

John Gaughan

Dan Goodman wrote:
> Ground turkey. You'll need to adjust recipes for lower fat (though
> some lower-priced versions have a fair amount of fat), and it's more
> expensive.

I buy frozen ground turkey in a tube for $1.00 per pound. It is a little
above average in terms of quality and doesn't have much fat in it.

But I do agree with this. Ground turkey, when seasoned properly and used
in a recipe (i.e. not plain), is extremely close in taste to ground
beef. The texture is a little bit off which gives it away, but overall
it is just as good.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

John Gaughan

TonyP wrote:
> Ground pork doesn't have much flavor, great for scrambled meat dishes.

Ground pork is great added to chili along with ground sirloin, or in
spaghetti rustica. It does have a unique flavor, maybe when you try it
you're not using good quality pork?

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

PENMART01

> John Gaughan
>
>I buy frozen ground turkey in a tube for $1.00 per pound.

Damn! You want a medal or sympathy? I wouldn't feed that SHIT to a starving
stray dog. Your admission makes you truly an embarrassment.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

TonyP

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:36:18 -0600, John Gaughan wrote:

> TonyP wrote:
>> Ground pork doesn't have much flavor, great for scrambled meat dishes.

> Ground pork is great added to chili along with ground sirloin, or in
> spaghetti rustica. It does have a unique flavor, maybe when you try it
> you're not using good quality pork?

We used to use ground pork in conjunction with ground beef in most dishes,
so maybe I and the family are used to the taste, but also yes we buy the
*cheap* ground pork.
Mpoconnor7

>Anyone have a good suggestion for a ground beef alternative that
>you've tried and liked? I'm trying to avoid beef...

If you don't mind the spices, you could always use bulk pork breakfast sausage
or italian sausage and brown it as you would ground beef. It definitely adds
some zip to casseroles where you would normally use hamburger. It also makes a
good sandwich if you patty it like a hamburger and cook it.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

kilikini

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > John Gaughan
> >
> >I buy frozen ground turkey in a tube for $1.00 per pound.

> Damn! You want a medal or sympathy? I wouldn't feed that SHIT to a

starving
> stray dog. Your admission makes you truly an embarrassment.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Sheldon, I agree with you. Ground turkey is just.......NASTY.

Kilikini

TonyP

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 00:21:44 +0000, kilikini wrote:

> "PENMART01" > wrote in message
>> > John Gaughan
>> >
>> >I buy frozen ground turkey in a tube for $1.00 per pound.

>> Damn! You want a medal or sympathy? I wouldn't feed that SHIT to a

> starving
>> stray dog. Your admission makes you truly an embarrassment.
>>

>> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
>> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
>> Sheldon
>> ````````````
>> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
>>

> Sheldon, I agree with you. Ground turkey is just.......NASTY.
>
> Kilikini

I agree, but I have to admit it's better than no meat at all.

It helps a little when you mix it half/half with a different type of meat.

j.j. > wrote:
> Anyone have a good suggestion for a ground beef alternative that
> you've tried and liked? I'm trying to avoid beef...

Depends on the recipe, but ground turkey or ground chicken
are worth considering as alternatives to ground meat if you
are making dishes such as buritos, tacos, and hamburgers.
I tried both for meatballs and meatloaf, but I did not
care for the results. The texture just wasn't right.

John Gaughan

PENMART01 wrote:
> Damn! You want a medal or sympathy? I wouldn't feed that SHIT to a
> starving stray dog. Your admission makes you truly an embarrassment.

Like I said, it's okay. I much prefer ground sirloin, but oh well. In
these times of financial hardship I do what I can.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

PENMART01

>"kilikini" wrote:
>
>>"PENMART01" wrote:
>>
>> > John Gaughan
>> >
>> >I buy frozen ground turkey in a tube for $1.00 per pound.

>> Damn! You want a medal or sympathy? I wouldn't feed that SHIT to a

>starving
>> stray dog. Your admission makes you truly an embarrassment.

>Sheldon, I agree with you. Ground turkey is just.......NASTY.

Especially nasty when it's a buck a pound in a tube from some mystery meat
purveyer... all mystery meat is nasty... got to grind all meat yourself
otherwise you never know what/who is in it.

In rec.food.cooking, j.j. > wrote:
> Anyone have a good suggestion for a ground beef alternative that
> you've tried and liked? I'm trying to avoid beef...

Use ground pork, or ground turkey with lots of herbs and spices. Both
thaste good. Neither tastes like ground beef.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Rick & Cyndi

"TonyP" > wrote in message
news : On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 00:21:44 +0000, kilikini wrote:
:
: >
: > "PENMART01" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >> > John Gaughan
: >> >
: >> >I buy frozen ground turkey in a tube for $1.00 per pound.
: >>
: >> Damn! You want a medal or sympathy? I wouldn't feed that
SHIT to a
: > starving
: >> stray dog. Your admission makes you truly an embarrassment.
: >>
: >>
: >> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
: >> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
: >> Sheldon
: >> ````````````
: >> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without
tribulation."
: >>
: >
: > Sheldon, I agree with you. Ground turkey is
just.......NASTY.
: >
: > Kilikini
:
: I agree, but I have to admit it's better than no meat at all.
:
: It helps a little when you mix it half/half with a different
type of meat.
:
:
: ========

Ewww... I can't get past the smell of it. Uggh. About a year
ago, DH suggested that we try to make some Turkey chili with
ground turkey... ewwwwwwww. Just nasty. Smell, taste... nah.
Maybe there's some brand out there that really is good but my
guess is that should we ever venture back into doing something
with "ground turkey" we're going to have to roast our own and
*then* grind it up and add it to whatever we're making.
Nahhhhhh. Too much like work and besides I like my traditionally
beef meals to *be* made with beef...

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Darkginger

Rick & Cyndi > wrote

> Ewww... I can't get past the smell of it. Uggh. About a year
> ago, DH suggested that we try to make some Turkey chili with
> ground turkey... ewwwwwwww. Just nasty. Smell, taste... nah.
> Maybe there's some brand out there that really is good but my
> guess is that should we ever venture back into doing something
> with "ground turkey" we're going to have to roast our own and
> *then* grind it up and add it to whatever we're making.
> Nahhhhhh. Too much like work and besides I like my traditionally
> beef meals to *be* made with beef...

Dunno if you can get it over there, but I like ground lamb (suppose you
could always mince it yourself). Works well in burgers, should be used in
Shepherd's pie (as opposed to Cottage pie), and makes the best moussaka
ever. Also good for making Indian dishes like shami kebab, or a kofta (sp?)
curry.

Jo

---

iP

When you're right your're right!

I always make my own toothpaste and chewing gum too.

I'm with you Cookie..........don't buy nuttin'; ya just can't trust nobody,
ther're all out to get ya.

And don't get me started on clothes..............ya just don't know what
"they" are trying to wrap us in.

"PENMART01" > wrote in message

> >> Damn! You want a medal or sympathy? I wouldn't feed that SHIT to a

> >starving
> >> stray dog. Your admission makes you truly an embarrassment.

> >Sheldon, I agree with you. Ground turkey is just.......NASTY.

> Especially nasty when it's a buck a pound in a tube from some mystery meat
> purveyer... all mystery meat is nasty... got to grind all meat yourself
> otherwise you never know what/who is in it.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

jmcquown

j.j. wrote:
> Anyone have a good suggestion for a ground beef alternative that
> you've tried and liked? I'm trying to avoid beef...

Contrary to popular belief, most commercially ground turkey is not lower in
fat than beef because they grind up the skin (fat) along with the meat.
However, if you're not going for lower fat, but simply reacting to Mad Cow,
ground turkey, chicken or pork is fine as long as it is seasoned correctly
for the dish you are making.

Jill

Dee Randall

Do you have a url for your clothes statement, so I know what you mean?
Thanks,
Dee.

"iP" > wrote in message
> When you're right your're right!
>
> I always make my own toothpaste and chewing gum too.
>
> I'm with you Cookie..........don't buy nuttin'; ya just can't trust

nobody,
> ther're all out to get ya.
>
> And don't get me started on clothes..............ya just don't know what
> "they" are trying to wrap us in.

> > >starving
> > >
> > >Sheldon, I agree with you. Ground turkey is just.......NASTY.

> > Especially nasty when it's a buck a pound in a tube from some mystery

meat
> > purveyer... all mystery meat is nasty... got to grind all meat yourself
> > otherwise you never know what/who is in it.
> >

> > ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> > ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> > Sheldon
> > ````````````
> > "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Rick & Cyndi

"Darkginger" < & Cyndi <chatted: >

<snip>
:
: Dunno if you can get it over there, but I like ground lamb
(suppose you
: could always mince it yourself). Works well in burgers, should
be used in
: Shepherd's pie (as opposed to Cottage pie), and makes the best
moussaka
: ever. Also good for making Indian dishes like shami kebab, or a
kofta (sp?)
: curry.
:
: Jo
:
===================

It's tough to get that around here but is possible with a lot of
begging and pleading!

I'll have to try making Shepherd's Pie with lamb. Growing up,
mom always used beef but I bet lamb would be awesome! I've heard
that traditionally lamb was the original ingredient. This was
discussed a while back on either this or on the a.c.c. news
group. I always enjoy reading/hearing about the different
regional/cultural differences in recipes.

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Rick & Cyndi

Default Alternative to //Ping Michael

"Dog3" <snip>

: Yep, what Jill said. I was shocked when I bought a package of
ground turkey
: and discovered the fat content.
:
: Michael
============

Michael, I am still so tickled to see your name on my screen!

I hope you're feeling well and are healing faster than ever!

Stay well my friend,
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Farrell8882

I don't think I've bought ground beef in over ten years, choosing ground turkey
instead. I like the 7% fat, as the zero fat is dry and flavorless. I use it in
sauce, meatballs, meatloaf anything you'd use ground beef in. It has such a
better flavor.
jmcquown

Dog3 wrote:
> "Rick & Cyndi" > deliciously posted in
>
>> "Dog3" <snip>
>>
>>> Yep, what Jill said. I was shocked when I bought a package of

>> ground turkey
>>> and discovered the fat content.
>>>
>>> Michael

>> ============
>>
>> Michael, I am still so tickled to see your name on my screen!
>>
>> I hope you're feeling well and are healing faster than ever!
>>
>> Stay well my friend,
>> Cyndi
>> <Remove a "b" to reply>

> Thanks! It is really good to be back I'm doing laundry and
> trying to decide what to put together for dinner. It's nasty, cold
> and rainy here. I'm thinking beef stew.
>
> Michael

What Cyndi said! Hmmm, I may just make some beef stew... It's chilly and
rainy here, too.

Jill

Puester

jmcquown wrote:

> j.j. wrote:
> > Anyone have a good suggestion for a ground beef alternative that
> > you've tried and liked? I'm trying to avoid beef...

> Contrary to popular belief, most commercially ground turkey is not lower in
> fat than beef because they grind up the skin (fat) along with the meat.
> However, if you're not going for lower fat, but simply reacting to Mad Cow,
> ground turkey, chicken or pork is fine as long as it is seasoned correctly
> for the dish you are making.
>
> Jill

A number of local markets here sell both "ground turkey"
which is what Jill's describing and "extra lean ground turkey"
which is just ground white meat. If you compare them you can
see quite a color difference.

gloria p
in Colorado
Carmen Dioxide

TonyP > wrote in message >.. .

> >> Damn! You want a medal or sympathy? I wouldn't feed that SHIT to a

> starving
> >> stray dog. Your admission makes you truly an embarrassment.
> >>

> >> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> >> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> >> Sheldon
> >> ````````````
> >> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> >>

> > Sheldon, I agree with you. Ground turkey is just.......NASTY.

I buy ground *white meat only* turkey or grind my own from a whole
boneless breast of turkey. You can't tell it from hamburger when
it's grilled. It has no gamey taste, no chopped up beaks and feet,
etc. Good stuff.
PENMART01

> "Jack Schidt®"
>
>"Dog3" wrote:
>> Dan Goodman posted:

>> > Ground turkey.

>> I don't much care for ground turkey. I prefer smoked or roasted slices
>> myself. Personal taste. When purchasing ground turkey be aware of one
>> thing if nothing else; The fat content in ground turkey can be almost as
>> much as ground beef. At least this was my experience the last time I
>> purchased ground turkey.
>>
>> Michael

>I've noticed same; they use thigh meat and also include the skin in the
>grind for turkey. I dunno why the OP is avoiding beef; for the few times a
>year I need meat ground, I'll grind it myself. Otherwise I prefer whole
>cuts and not ground substitutes. Just me.
>
>Jack Minceola
>
>PS Nice to see your mug on the postings, Michael.

Yes, it's good to see Michael is Backkk!

I grind meat about 4-5 times a year, to stock the freezer with ground beef and
pork. Some days I devote to making sausage, a whole nother procedure. I don't
grind turkey, is tastes terrible, but I often buy skinless-boneless chicken
breasts when they're on sale, usually $1.99/lb and grind that with seasonings
and veggies into chicken sausage meat... excellent for stuffing pasta or just
making small meatballs to place in soups... also chicken croquettes are
scrumptous. Naturally I also grind fresh fish, season, form into pattys, and
freeze... fortunately I still have my Lung Guyland seafood connections.

I really don't see the big inconvenience in grinding ones own meats.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Jack Schidt®

"PENMART01" > wrote in message

> I really don't see the big inconvenience in grinding ones own meats.

Not only not inconvenient, but the quality is far superior. Plus, there's
not that cloud of mystery where that stuff came from.

Jack Mysterioso

PENMART01

>"Jack Schidt®"
>
>"PENMART01" wrote:
>>
>> I really don't see the big inconvenience in grinding ones own meats.

>Not only not inconvenient, but the quality is far superior. Plus, there's
>not that cloud of mystery where that stuff came from.
>
>Jack Mysterioso

And who's in it! LOL

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

zxcvbob

Dog3 wrote:
> (PENMART01) deliciously posted in
> :

>>>I've noticed same; they use thigh meat and also include the skin in
>>>the grind for turkey. I dunno why the OP is avoiding beef; for the
>>>few times a year I need meat ground, I'll grind it myself. Otherwise
>>>I prefer whole cuts and not ground substitutes. Just me.
>>>
>>>Jack Minceola
>>>
>>>PS Nice to see your mug on the postings, Michael.

>>Yes, it's good to see Michael is Backkk!
>>
>>I grind meat about 4-5 times a year, to stock the freezer with ground
>>beef and pork. Some days I devote to making sausage, a whole nother
>>procedure. I don't grind turkey, is tastes terrible, but I often buy
>>skinless-boneless chicken breasts when they're on sale, usually
>>$1.99/lb and grind that with seasonings and veggies into chicken
>>sausage meat... excellent for stuffing pasta or just making small
>>meatballs to place in soups... also chicken croquettes are scrumptous.
>> Naturally I also grind fresh fish, season, form into pattys, and
>>freeze... fortunately I still have my Lung Guyland seafood
>>connections.
>>
>>I really don't see the big inconvenience in grinding ones own meats.

> This is a bit off topic for this thread. I have a couple of friends that
> buy beef in bulk. They'll buy a side of beef and keep it in the deep
> freeze. They have all kinds of different cuts. Have either you or Jack
> done this? I'm sure it's less expensive than buying from the supermarket
> or butcher. It would take us forever to go through that much beef. About
> how long can you keep beef like this in the freezer without burn? I would
> certainly do a lot more of my own grinding if I could buy in bulk without
> wasting a lot of it.
>
> Michael

Tightly wrapped in butcher paper, meat will last for years in a deep
freezer without burn. Five or 6 years, at least (but you'll want to use it
up faster than that just in case the package has a little hole in it)

Sausage doesn't seem to keep as well. Hamburger does better. Roasts might
well keep forever; I don't know yet.

Best regards,
Bob
Jack Schidt®

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> (PENMART01) deliciously posted in
> :

> >>I've noticed same; they use thigh meat and also include the skin in
> >>the grind for turkey. I dunno why the OP is avoiding beef; for the
> >>few times a year I need meat ground, I'll grind it myself. Otherwise
> >>I prefer whole cuts and not ground substitutes. Just me.
> >>
> >>Jack Minceola
> >>
> >>PS Nice to see your mug on the postings, Michael.

> > Yes, it's good to see Michael is Backkk!
> >
> > I grind meat about 4-5 times a year, to stock the freezer with ground
> > beef and pork. Some days I devote to making sausage, a whole nother
> > procedure. I don't grind turkey, is tastes terrible, but I often buy
> > skinless-boneless chicken breasts when they're on sale, usually
> > $1.99/lb and grind that with seasonings and veggies into chicken
> > sausage meat... excellent for stuffing pasta or just making small
> > meatballs to place in soups... also chicken croquettes are scrumptous.
> > Naturally I also grind fresh fish, season, form into pattys, and
> > freeze... fortunately I still have my Lung Guyland seafood
> > connections.
> >
> > I really don't see the big inconvenience in grinding ones own meats.

> This is a bit off topic for this thread. I have a couple of friends that
> buy beef in bulk. They'll buy a side of beef and keep it in the deep
> freeze. They have all kinds of different cuts. Have either you or Jack
> done this? I'm sure it's less expensive than buying from the supermarket
> or butcher. It would take us forever to go through that much beef. About
> how long can you keep beef like this in the freezer without burn? I would
> certainly do a lot more of my own grinding if I could buy in bulk without
> wasting a lot of it.
>
> Michael

I'm so fixated on puerco that I don't consider buying beef in that quantity;
however, if I do buy/or receive meat in any quantity, I get out the
Foodsaver and vacuum pack what I'm freezing. It makes a significant
difference in the quality after keeping it frozen for months at a time. Me,
I don't buy a lot of stuff in big quantities for the same reason I don't
watch a lotta horror films: I live alone.

Jack Kelvinator-Norge

PENMART01

>Dog3 wrote:
>
>penmart01 wrote:
>>
>> I really don't see the big inconvenience in grinding ones own meats.

>This is a bit off topic for this thread. I have a couple of friends that
>buy beef in bulk. They'll buy a side of beef and keep it in the deep
>freeze. They have all kinds of different cuts. Have either you or Jack
>done this? I'm sure it's less expensive than buying from the supermarket
>or butcher. It would take us forever to go through that much beef. About
>how long can you keep beef like this in the freezer without burn? I would
>certainly do a lot more of my own grinding if I could buy in bulk without
>wasting a lot of it.

Sides of beef are sold untrimmed, so unless you will use every bit there really
is no economic advantage... and freezer shelf life is the least of it. There
will be lots of bone, fat, and gristle... not to mention some cuts you would
never consider. It's more advantageous to peruse the sale items featured at
your favorite stupidmarkets and stock up on those cuts. Often there are large
boneless chuck roasts and top round roasts on sale, those are excellent for
grinding... and will cost less per pound than whole sides.. especially a
bargain as they are already fully trimmed, no waste.