Helen C.

Default Your favorites for ground beef...

I recently got a good buy on ground beef... locally ground, 90% lean in
individually frozen 1 lb pkgs (not vacuumed packed but close to it).
Thats a great buy for where I live so ended up with about 60 lbs.

We don't do a lot of ground beef but when we do it is usually for:

fast tacos, enchiladas and burritos

spaghetti

Irish potatoes (baked potatoes with a topping of seasoned ground
beef/onions with a topping of shredded cheese, bacon, sour cream and
green onions).

Hamburgers with bacon and avocado topper which isn't very often

What do you usually make when you have hamburger on hand? I'd really be
interested in knowing and would sincerely appreciate your input.

The same meat market has their bulk sausage (5 kinds) on sale right now
for the same price and packaging.... would like to get some of that also
before they run out.

Thanks much, Helen

DRB

"Helen C." > wrote in message
> I recently got a good buy on ground beef... locally ground, 90% lean in
> individually frozen 1 lb pkgs (not vacuumed packed but close to it).
> Thats a great buy for where I live so ended up with about 60 lbs.
>
> We don't do a lot of ground beef but when we do it is usually for:

<snip>

I do a lot of the same things you do--tacos (I don't like enchiladas or
burritos), spaghetti, and hamburgers. I also make meatloaf quite a bit and
sweet and sour meat balls every once in awhile. You could also try
http://www.recipesource.com/ and search for hamburger-based recipes.

Tigger News

I like to make burgers

I get some
mice
onion, dice finley
breadcumbs (no more than the onion)
and egg
and some fres herbs (basil, oregano, pasley)
and sometimes a little chili
mix all togther in a bowl and make into hanburgers

"Helen C." > wrote in message
> I recently got a good buy on ground beef... locally ground, 90% lean in
> individually frozen 1 lb pkgs (not vacuumed packed but close to it).
> Thats a great buy for where I live so ended up with about 60 lbs.
>
> We don't do a lot of ground beef but when we do it is usually for:
>
> fast tacos, enchiladas and burritos
>
> spaghetti
>
> Irish potatoes (baked potatoes with a topping of seasoned ground
> beef/onions with a topping of shredded cheese, bacon, sour cream and
> green onions).
>
> Hamburgers with bacon and avocado topper which isn't very often
>
> What do you usually make when you have hamburger on hand? I'd really be
> interested in knowing and would sincerely appreciate your input.
>
> The same meat market has their bulk sausage (5 kinds) on sale right now
> for the same price and packaging.... would like to get some of that also
> before they run out.
>
> Thanks much, Helen

miss_jaime

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:17:06 -0800 (PST), (Helen C.)
wrote:

>What do you usually make when you have hamburger on hand?

Chili.

Meatloaf

Heidi

(Helen C.) wrote in message >...
> I recently got a good buy on ground beef... locally ground, 90% lean in
> individually frozen 1 lb pkgs (not vacuumed packed but close to it).
> Thats a great buy for where I live so ended up with about 60 lbs.
>
> We don't do a lot of ground beef but when we do it is usually for:
>
> fast tacos, enchiladas and burritos
>
> spaghetti
>
> Irish potatoes (baked potatoes with a topping of seasoned ground
> beef/onions with a topping of shredded cheese, bacon, sour cream and
> green onions).
>
> Hamburgers with bacon and avocado topper which isn't very often
>
> What do you usually make when you have hamburger on hand? I'd really be
> interested in knowing and would sincerely appreciate your input.
>
> The same meat market has their bulk sausage (5 kinds) on sale right now
> for the same price and packaging.... would like to get some of that also
> before they run out.
>
> Thanks much, Helen

I have a recipe for "Beef Stroganoff" casserole given to me by my
mother-in-law. It uses tomato juice and bowtie pasta (farfalle) and
is baked in the oven. I remember most of it but not all of the
amounts.

One pound ground beef browned with onion, garlic and celery mixed with
some worcestershire sauce and 1 c. bowtie pasta in a casserole then
pour about 3 c tomato juice over and bake at 350 for an hour or until
the pasta is tender. Mix in 1 c. sour cream and serve.

Heidi
Heidi

(Helen C.) wrote in message >...
> I recently got a good buy on ground beef... locally ground, 90% lean in
> individually frozen 1 lb pkgs (not vacuumed packed but close to it).
> Thats a great buy for where I live so ended up with about 60 lbs.
>
> We don't do a lot of ground beef but when we do it is usually for:
>
> fast tacos, enchiladas and burritos
>
> spaghetti
>
> Irish potatoes (baked potatoes with a topping of seasoned ground
> beef/onions with a topping of shredded cheese, bacon, sour cream and
> green onions).
>
> Hamburgers with bacon and avocado topper which isn't very often
>
> What do you usually make when you have hamburger on hand? I'd really be
> interested in knowing and would sincerely appreciate your input.
>
> The same meat market has their bulk sausage (5 kinds) on sale right now
> for the same price and packaging.... would like to get some of that also
> before they run out.
>
> Thanks much, Helen

I have used bulk sausage (breakfast style) in a recipe called stuffed
onion florentine although I've just eaten the "stuffing". Again, I
don't remember amounts but it involves browning the sausage (1 lb)
with some chopped onion and adding frozen spinach (1 box) that has
been thawed and as much water as possible squeezed out and heating
through then add some shredded cheddar cheese (I love cheese so I
probably add about a 1/2 c or more) just until melted and just a pinch
of nutmeg. (I prefer New York sharp cheddar or Adirondack Cheddar).

Sausage is good in quiches, too.

Italian meat balls and Swedish meat balls are good things to do with
the ground beef. Make them ahead and freeze then just thaw what you
need.
Other people have suggested chili and tacos which are two of my
favorites.
I recently made an enchilada casserole from the back of a corn
tortilla package which was ground beef browned with onion and garlic
layered with cheese and six tortillas the layers we tortilla, beef,
cheese, etc. and then one can of enchilada sauce was poured over top
and it was baked. (I think 350 F for 40 minutes) It works best if you
have a casserole dish that is round and about the same size as the
corn tortillas.

I've browned crumbled ground beef and frozen it so that I can use it
to make a quick dinner when I get home from work. Stuffed peppers and
cabbage rolls are made with ground beef. Make spaghetti sauce with
it. Also, I have a friend who has made jerky with ground beef.

Helen C. > wrote:

> Hamburgers with bacon and avocado topper which isn't very often

> What do you usually make when you have hamburger on hand? I'd really be
> interested in knowing and would sincerely appreciate your input.

Tops on my list is hamburgers. Next is meatloaf. I take equal amounts
of ground beef (usually chuck or round), ground veal, and ground pork
to make my meatloaf. Usually about 1/3 pound of each meat. I mix the
meats up together with an egg and a handful of bread crumbs, about a
quarter cup of Heinz ketchup. I mix it up using my hands, then I form
the meat mixture into a loaf shape and bake it on a broiler pan in the
oven at 350 degrees until it is nice and golden brown on top. Delicious.

Mashed potatoes or home fried potatoes and string beans or peas go
well with meatloaf.

kalanamak

"Helen C." wrote:

> What do you usually make when you have hamburger on hand? I'd really be
> interested in knowing and would sincerely appreciate your input.

Nut'in fancy, but never any leftovers:

My Mother's Casserole

Toss 2 parts carolina brown rice to one part frozen corn and
place in glass baking bowl. Add the water you would for that amount of
rice
Cover with a thick layer of browned hamburger, and cover that with
strips of bacon.
Bake uncovered at 350 until the rice is done.
Lynn Gifford

All the stuff everybody else said (except Dan's curry which I will
try) plus:

Stroganoff: burger, onions, mushrooms, sour cream (a little flour if
it's too thin) serve over cooked noodles or rice.

'Merican Chow Mein: burger, celery, onion, beansprouts, mushrooms,
carrots, soysauce/cornstarch, ginger, garlic and a shot of tabasco.
Serve over rice and crispy noodles.

Unstuffed cabbage: coleslaw mix layered with browned burger, cooked
rice and seasoned tomato sauce. Bake till the cabbage is fairly
tender.

Tater Tot Hotdish (Don't Laugh! This is the ND State Casserole!)
Ultimate Onion version: Layer in 9X13 baking dish: 2 lbs browned
burger, 1 bag frozen french cut green beans, 1 pkg dry onion soup, 1
can french fried onions, sliced american cheese singles to cover, 2
cans cream of whatever soup mixed with 1 can milk. Poke some holes in
it so the soup/milk can sink. Cover with onion flavor frozen potato
nuggets (I line 'em up)Bake @ 300 - 400% until top is browning and
understuff is bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.

Lynn from Fargo
(Now making all of the above with ground venison)
themaltesebippy

> I recently got a good buy on ground beef... locally ground, 90% lean in
> individually frozen 1 lb pkgs (not vacuumed packed but close to it).
> Thats a great buy for where I live so ended up with about 60 lbs.

Wow! I like Stuffed Peppers though with 90% lean beef they may come
out a bit dry if you cook for too long.

ground beef (you can mixed some ground pork into it if you wish)
Bell peppers (I use various colors)
leftover cooked or instant rice
egg
salt and pepper

stuff meat mixute into peppers then slow cook in a pot with crushed
tomatoes and/or tomato sauce. Serve with mashed potaoes. Great
comfort food.
Nancy Young

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> Excuse me.
> Mice??????

no playing with the trolls. nancy
zxcvbob

Nancy Young wrote:
> Sheryl Rosen wrote:
>

>>Excuse me.
>>Mice??????

> no playing with the trolls. nancy

I don't think it was a troll; I think it was s'posed to say "mince".
But "mice" was kind of funny :-)

Bob

Reg

zxcvbob wrote:

> I don't think it was a troll; I think it was s'posed to say "mince".

My guess: rice

Nancy Young

zxcvbob wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> > no playing with the trolls. nancy

> I don't think it was a troll; I think it was s'posed to say "mince".
> But "mice" was kind of funny :-)

Oh, assuming that's true, that's a riot. (laugh!)

nancy
miss_jaime

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:47:23 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>Sheryl Rosen wrote:
>
>> Excuse me.
>> Mice??????

>no playing with the trolls. nancy

It wasn't a troll. It was a typo.

Fred

"Helen C." > wrote in message
> I recently got a good buy on ground beef... locally ground, 90% lean in
> individually frozen 1 lb pkgs (not vacuumed packed but close to it).
> Thats a great buy for where I live so ended up with about 60 lbs.
>
> We don't do a lot of ground beef but when we do it is usually for:
>
> fast tacos, enchiladas and burritos
>
> spaghetti
>
> Irish potatoes (baked potatoes with a topping of seasoned ground
> beef/onions with a topping of shredded cheese, bacon, sour cream and
> green onions).
>
> Hamburgers with bacon and avocado topper which isn't very often
>
> What do you usually make when you have hamburger on hand? I'd really be
> interested in knowing and would sincerely appreciate your input.
>
> The same meat market has their bulk sausage (5 kinds) on sale right now
> for the same price and packaging.... would like to get some of that also
> before they run out.
>
> Thanks much, Helen

Picadillo. It's a latin american thing - sauteed hamburger with sofrito,
sometimes raisins, served atop white long grain rice.

Fred
The Good Gourmet
http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

Rhonda Anderson

Reg > wrote in news:aZ%Nb.9328$8N5.9065
@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> I don't think it was a troll; I think it was s'posed to say "mince".

> My guess: rice

Nope - I think Bob's guess is correct. I noticed a .au in the header. We
use the word mince to refer to minced (US - ground) beef.

However, I'm sure cats would prefer the mice version of the recipe <g>

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Reg

Rhonda Anderson wrote:

> Nope - I think Bob's guess is correct. I noticed a .au in the header. We
> use the word mince to refer to minced (US - ground) beef.

At this point I think whomever guessed right should win something

Helen C.

Thanks to all of you... I made a list of all suggestions and put it on
the fridge for future use. Ought to make things more interesting and am
sure some ideas or recipes will make it to my favorites that I count on.

Very sincerely, Helen

hahabogus

kalanamak > wrote in :

> "Helen C." wrote:
>
>> What do you usually make when you have hamburger on hand? I'd really be
>> interested in knowing and would sincerely appreciate your input.
>>

> Nut'in fancy, but never any leftovers:
>
> My Mother's Casserole
>
> Toss 2 parts carolina brown rice to one part frozen corn and
> place in glass baking bowl. Add the water you would for that amount of
> rice
> Cover with a thick layer of browned hamburger, and cover that with
> strips of bacon.
> Bake uncovered at 350 until the rice is done.

What no onions?

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Nancree

Uses for ground beef:
Why not make a big supply of meat balls. Your favorite mix--bread crumbs,
minced onion (or dried onion flakes), garlic, salt, pepper. Form into
meatballs. (I find the easiest way is to press the ground meat mixture onto a
flat surface, cut into squares, then pick up each square and roll and shape
it into a meatball.)
Place on a baking sheet and freeze, so they don't stick together. Pour them
into a plastic baggie and freeze. Then you can just take out what you need for
your dish--meatballs and onions over rice, meatballs and mushrooms, spaghetti
and meatballs--whatever.

Scott Taylor

"Helen C." > wrote in message
> I recently got a good buy on ground beef... locally ground, 90% lean in
> individually frozen 1 lb pkgs (not vacuumed packed but close to it).
> Thats a great buy for where I live so ended up with about 60 lbs.
>
> We don't do a lot of ground beef but when we do it is usually for:
>
> fast tacos, enchiladas and burritos
>
> spaghetti
>
> Irish potatoes (baked potatoes with a topping of seasoned ground
> beef/onions with a topping of shredded cheese, bacon, sour cream and
> green onions).
>
> Hamburgers with bacon and avocado topper which isn't very often
>
> What do you usually make when you have hamburger on hand? I'd really be
> interested in knowing and would sincerely appreciate your input.
>
> The same meat market has their bulk sausage (5 kinds) on sale right now
> for the same price and packaging.... would like to get some of that also
> before they run out.
>
> Thanks much, Helen

I like this dish that I remember from some Pillsbury Bakeoff in the early
60s. I think the recipe had a biscuit topping, but I don't use that, just
make the hamburger part. It's super simple, and really tasty--definitely
better than the sum of its parts. I always serve it with carrot sticks,
celery sticks, and dill pickle spears.

1 medium onion, diced

Couple Tb. vegetable oil

1 lb. ground beef

1 can tomato soup, undiluted

1 can peas, including juice

Salt and pepper, to taste

Cook onion in oil till softened; add beef and brown. Drain off excess oil.
Add soup, peas, and salt and pepper. Simmer for 1/2 hour covered, then
remove cover and simmer another half hour or so, till sauce is reduced and
thickened

-Scott

jmcquown

Helen C. wrote:
> I recently got a good buy on ground beef... locally ground, 90% lean
> in individually frozen 1 lb pkgs (not vacuumed packed but close to

(snip)
> Thanks much, Helen

A traditional Scottish dish, which my Grandma Douglas-Brown introduced into
our food chain. Nothing could be more simple or delicious! She called it
"Mince" (for minced beef, I suppose).

1 lb. ground beef
1 c. water
3/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce

Season the beef with pepper & salt and brown in a skillet; drain off all but
about 1 Tbs. of the fat. Stir in 1 cup of water and 1 Tbs. Worcestershire
sauce. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes until you have a clear gravy.
Serve this over mashed potatoes with a side of steamed English peas. Oh
YUM!

Jill

RMiller

>What do you usually make when you have hamburger on hand? I'd really be
>interested in knowing and would sincerely appreciate your input.

I will season the meat and make a lot of meatballs, baking them, and then
putting them in plastic bags and freezing. Then I will use them with pasta, or
make gravey and serve with them.
Rosie
kilikini

"RMiller" > wrote in message

> >What do you usually make when you have hamburger on hand? I'd really be
> >interested in knowing and would sincerely appreciate your input.
> >

> I will season the meat and make a lot of meatballs, baking them, and then
> putting them in plastic bags and freezing. Then I will use them with

pasta, or
> make gravey and serve with them.
> Rosie

My BF just bought one of those family pack ground beef packages (and I'm not
a huge fan of it...oh well) and I've been wondering what to do with it.
Meatballs! Why didn't I think of that? Great idea, Rosie! Thanks.

kilikini

Lynn Gifford

I forgot . . .

Pastitsio (Greek Lasagna)
from Better Homes and Gardens Heritage Cookbook
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 teaspoon basil
2 cups raw elbow macaroni
4 slightly beaten egg whites
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled & divided
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or paprika)
4 cups milk
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
4 slightly beaten egg yolks

In a skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is browned. Drain off
excess fat. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, basil and 1 teaspoon
salt. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring often. Meanwhile, cook
macaroni according to package directions; drain well. Stir in egg
whites and half of the feta. Add meat mixture, stir and pour into a 13
by 9 inch baking dish. In large saucepan, melt butter. Blend in flour
and 1 teaspoon salt. Add milk all at once. Cook, stirring constantly,
until thickened and bubbly.. Remove from heat. Gradually stir some of
the hot sauce into egg yolks; blend well. Return yolk mixture to
remaining sauce.Stir in mozzarella and the other half of the feta.
Pour on top of the meat mixture. Sprinkle lightly with additional
cinnamon or paprika. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Let
stand ten minutes before serving. Serves 12 (may be halved.)
To simplify just substitute jarred spaghetti sauce for the tomatoes,
tomatp paste & onions

Lynn from Fargo
No, I made that up about the state casserole, but if we had one it
would be Tater Tot or Macaroni/Tomato/Beef
(Because of the potatoes & the wheat & the beef we grow)

How would I know if ground beef is bad? Julie Bove Diabetic 60 06-10-2009 04:29 AM
Ground beef BigD43 General Cooking 1 08-02-2008 11:49 PM
Using Ground Beef (8) Collection Valerie Recipes (moderated) 0 22-10-2006 01:01 PM
Ground beef Anny Middon General Cooking 10 15-03-2006 07:38 AM