\Piedmont\

Default What is Kubbe?

What is Kubbe? I have a recipe and an attachment to form it.
"Piedmont"
Steve Calvin

"Piedmont" wrote:

> What is Kubbe? I have a recipe and an attachment to form it.
> "Piedmont"

It's a "dough" made from potato, bulgur, matzoh or various other
things, then stuffed with a ground meat filling and sauteed or deep
fried.

Do a google search on kubbe and you'll have reading for life. ;-)

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Steve Calvin

"Piedmont" wrote:

> What is Kubbe? I have a recipe and an attachment to form it.
> "Piedmont"

It's a "dough" made from potato, bulgur, matzoh or various other
things, then stuffed with a ground meat filling and sauteed or deep
fried.

Do a google search on kubbe and you'll have reading for life. ;-)

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

PENMART01

>What is Kubbe?
>
>"Piedmont"

A sleazy basketball player... or an affectionate term for my Kubota tractor.

I think you mean Kebbe, a Middle Eastern ground meat dish, usually of lamb...
where the meat is extruded in a tube configuration and then cut into sections
and stuffed.... although there are many shortcut recipes that are more
westernized in format, ie. meat balls, meat loaf, etc., but maintain the middle
eastern flavor/seasoning.

Meat Kebbe
by Kenwood

Place the bulgur in a pan and add the water. Bring to the boil and simmer for
15 minutes. Drain, then set to one side until required.
Meanwhile mince the beef or lamb in the Mincer, using the fine screen. Separate
100g (4oz) of the minced meat and put the remainder to one side.
Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the diced onion until golden. Add the pine nuts
and sauté for a further 60 seconds to toast. Add the 100g (4oz) minced meat and
1.25ml (1/4 tsp) allspice to the pan then fry for about 10 minutes until
cooked. Season well with salt and black pepper.
Meanwhile, put the remaining minced meat, drained bulgur, the remaining
allspice and a generous amount of seasoning into the Kenwood Bowl. Mix, using
the K Beater at speed 1, for 5 minutes. Add the flour and mix at minimum speed
to incorporate thoroughly.
Remove any remaining meat from the Mincer then replace the screen and cutting
blade with the Kebbe Maker Adaptor and assemble the attachment on the Chef.
Pass the bulgur mixture through the adaptor, cutting the tubing at 8cm (3")
intervals and laying each tube on a tray.
To make the Kebbe balls, close one end of the tube, squeezing tightly to seal
well, and leaving the other end open. Press 15ml (1 tbsp) of the cooked meat
mixture into each shell then squeeze the open end to seal.
Heat a pan of oil until moderately hot and deep-fry the Kebbe balls for 3-4
minutes until golden. Serve immediately with a large salad and a spicy yoghurt
dressing.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>What is Kubbe?
>
>"Piedmont"

A sleazy basketball player... or an affectionate term for my Kubota tractor.

I think you mean Kebbe, a Middle Eastern ground meat dish, usually of lamb...
where the meat is extruded in a tube configuration and then cut into sections
and stuffed.... although there are many shortcut recipes that are more
westernized in format, ie. meat balls, meat loaf, etc., but maintain the middle
eastern flavor/seasoning.

Meat Kebbe
by Kenwood

Place the bulgur in a pan and add the water. Bring to the boil and simmer for
15 minutes. Drain, then set to one side until required.
Meanwhile mince the beef or lamb in the Mincer, using the fine screen. Separate
100g (4oz) of the minced meat and put the remainder to one side.
Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the diced onion until golden. Add the pine nuts
and sauté for a further 60 seconds to toast. Add the 100g (4oz) minced meat and
1.25ml (1/4 tsp) allspice to the pan then fry for about 10 minutes until
cooked. Season well with salt and black pepper.
Meanwhile, put the remaining minced meat, drained bulgur, the remaining
allspice and a generous amount of seasoning into the Kenwood Bowl. Mix, using
the K Beater at speed 1, for 5 minutes. Add the flour and mix at minimum speed
to incorporate thoroughly.
Remove any remaining meat from the Mincer then replace the screen and cutting
blade with the Kebbe Maker Adaptor and assemble the attachment on the Chef.
Pass the bulgur mixture through the adaptor, cutting the tubing at 8cm (3")
intervals and laying each tube on a tray.
To make the Kebbe balls, close one end of the tube, squeezing tightly to seal
well, and leaving the other end open. Press 15ml (1 tbsp) of the cooked meat
mixture into each shell then squeeze the open end to seal.
Heat a pan of oil until moderately hot and deep-fry the Kebbe balls for 3-4
minutes until golden. Serve immediately with a large salad and a spicy yoghurt
dressing.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>What is Kubbe?
>
>"Piedmont"

A sleazy basketball player... or an affectionate term for my Kubota tractor.

I think you mean Kebbe, a Middle Eastern ground meat dish, usually of lamb...
where the meat is extruded in a tube configuration and then cut into sections
and stuffed.... although there are many shortcut recipes that are more
westernized in format, ie. meat balls, meat loaf, etc., but maintain the middle
eastern flavor/seasoning.

Meat Kebbe
by Kenwood

Place the bulgur in a pan and add the water. Bring to the boil and simmer for
15 minutes. Drain, then set to one side until required.
Meanwhile mince the beef or lamb in the Mincer, using the fine screen. Separate
100g (4oz) of the minced meat and put the remainder to one side.
Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the diced onion until golden. Add the pine nuts
and sauté for a further 60 seconds to toast. Add the 100g (4oz) minced meat and
1.25ml (1/4 tsp) allspice to the pan then fry for about 10 minutes until
cooked. Season well with salt and black pepper.
Meanwhile, put the remaining minced meat, drained bulgur, the remaining
allspice and a generous amount of seasoning into the Kenwood Bowl. Mix, using
the K Beater at speed 1, for 5 minutes. Add the flour and mix at minimum speed
to incorporate thoroughly.
Remove any remaining meat from the Mincer then replace the screen and cutting
blade with the Kebbe Maker Adaptor and assemble the attachment on the Chef.
Pass the bulgur mixture through the adaptor, cutting the tubing at 8cm (3")
intervals and laying each tube on a tray.
To make the Kebbe balls, close one end of the tube, squeezing tightly to seal
well, and leaving the other end open. Press 15ml (1 tbsp) of the cooked meat
mixture into each shell then squeeze the open end to seal.
Heat a pan of oil until moderately hot and deep-fry the Kebbe balls for 3-4
minutes until golden. Serve immediately with a large salad and a spicy yoghurt
dressing.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
John Misrahi

Steve Calvin wrote in message >...
>"Piedmont" wrote:
>
>> What is Kubbe? I have a recipe and an attachment to form it.
>> "Piedmont"

>It's a "dough" made from potato, bulgur, matzoh or various other
>things, then stuffed with a ground meat filling and sauteed or deep
>fried.
>
>Do a google search on kubbe and you'll have reading for life. ;-)
>
>--
>Steve
>
>Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
>when you make it again.

Sounds like "Kibbe" :-)

Barry Grau

"John Misrahi" > wrote in message >...
> Steve Calvin wrote in message >...
> >"Piedmont" wrote:
> >
> >> What is Kubbe? I have a recipe and an attachment to form it.
> >> "Piedmont"

> >It's a "dough" made from potato, bulgur, matzoh or various other
> >things, then stuffed with a ground meat filling and sauteed or deep
> >fried.
> >
> >Do a google search on kubbe and you'll have reading for life. ;-)
> >
> >--
> >Steve
> >
> >Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
> >when you make it again.
> >

> Sounds like "Kibbe" :-)

No. Kibbeh. If I remember right, in Cooking of the Eastern
Mediterranean, Paula Wolfert quotes a saying that there are 50 ways to
make kibbe. (Take that Paul Simon.) I've had one similar to the one
Steve mentions -- a dough made of bulgur and ground lamb formed into
an open ended cylinder or football ("American" football) stuffed with
seasoned ground lamb, then closed up and deep fried. The best of these
I've had was in a little hole-in-the-wall bar in Chicago. The shell
was very thin and crackling crisp and the meat was perfectly seasoned.
Edward, the proprietor, was never able to get them like that again.
I've also had a similar kibbeh that was a little larger and baked and
another similar one fitted into a pan, baked and cut. Another type of
kibbe, which I have never had is kibbe nayeh, raw kibbe. My
understanding is that it's very lean ground lamb combined with bulgur
and seasonings and served with little accompaniments, kind of like
steak tartare. I've heard of another called kibbe d'Musil -- kibbe
from Mosul. I have no idea what it is. Maybe you leave it by the
roadside and detonate it by remote control when an American convoy
passes.

By the way, Edward also made incredibly good chicken shawerma. I think
his secret was leaving it unrefrigerated.

-bwg
Barry Grau

"John Misrahi" > wrote in message >...
> Steve Calvin wrote in message >...
> >"Piedmont" wrote:
> >
> >> What is Kubbe? I have a recipe and an attachment to form it.
> >> "Piedmont"

> >It's a "dough" made from potato, bulgur, matzoh or various other
> >things, then stuffed with a ground meat filling and sauteed or deep
> >fried.
> >
> >Do a google search on kubbe and you'll have reading for life. ;-)
> >
> >--
> >Steve
> >
> >Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
> >when you make it again.
> >

> Sounds like "Kibbe" :-)

No. Kibbeh. If I remember right, in Cooking of the Eastern
Mediterranean, Paula Wolfert quotes a saying that there are 50 ways to
make kibbe. (Take that Paul Simon.) I've had one similar to the one
Steve mentions -- a dough made of bulgur and ground lamb formed into
an open ended cylinder or football ("American" football) stuffed with
seasoned ground lamb, then closed up and deep fried. The best of these
I've had was in a little hole-in-the-wall bar in Chicago. The shell
was very thin and crackling crisp and the meat was perfectly seasoned.
Edward, the proprietor, was never able to get them like that again.
I've also had a similar kibbeh that was a little larger and baked and
another similar one fitted into a pan, baked and cut. Another type of
kibbe, which I have never had is kibbe nayeh, raw kibbe. My
understanding is that it's very lean ground lamb combined with bulgur
and seasonings and served with little accompaniments, kind of like
steak tartare. I've heard of another called kibbe d'Musil -- kibbe
from Mosul. I have no idea what it is. Maybe you leave it by the
roadside and detonate it by remote control when an American convoy
passes.

By the way, Edward also made incredibly good chicken shawerma. I think
his secret was leaving it unrefrigerated.

-bwg
PENMART01

>(Barry Grau) writes:
>
>"John Misrahi" wrote:
>> Steve Calvin wrote:

>> >It's a "dough" made from potato, bulgur, matzoh or various other
>> >things, then stuffed with a ground meat filling and sauteed or deep
>> >fried.
>> >
>> >Do a google search on kubbe and you'll have reading for life. ;-)

>> Sounds like "Kibbe" :-)

>No. Kibbeh.

Actually either spelling is correct... try to remember about multiple spellings
being typical of transliterations.

Merriam Webster

kib·be
Variant(s): or kib.beh or kib.bi /'ki-bE/
Function: noun
Etymology: Arabic kubbah
Date: 1937
: a Near Eastern dish of ground lamb and bulgur that is eaten cooked or raw
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>(Barry Grau) writes:
>
>"John Misrahi" wrote:
>> Steve Calvin wrote:

>> >It's a "dough" made from potato, bulgur, matzoh or various other
>> >things, then stuffed with a ground meat filling and sauteed or deep
>> >fried.
>> >
>> >Do a google search on kubbe and you'll have reading for life. ;-)

>> Sounds like "Kibbe" :-)

>No. Kibbeh.

Actually either spelling is correct... try to remember about multiple spellings
being typical of transliterations.

Merriam Webster

kib·be
Variant(s): or kib.beh or kib.bi /'ki-bE/
Function: noun
Etymology: Arabic kubbah

\Piedmont\

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >What is Kubbe?
> >
> >"Piedmont"

> A sleazy basketball player... or an affectionate term for my Kubota

tractor.

> I think you mean Kebbe, a Middle Eastern ground meat dish, usually of

lamb...
> where the meat is extruded in a tube configuration and then cut into

sections
> and stuffed.... although there are many shortcut recipes that are more
> westernized in format, ie. meat balls, meat loaf, etc., but maintain the

middle
> eastern flavor/seasoning.
>
> Meat Kebbe
> by Kenwood
>
> Place the bulgur in a pan and add the water. Bring to the boil and simmer

for
> 15 minutes. Drain, then set to one side until required.
> Meanwhile mince the beef or lamb in the Mincer, using the fine screen.

Separate
> 100g (4oz) of the minced meat and put the remainder to one side.
> Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the diced onion until golden. Add the pine

nuts
> and sauté for a further 60 seconds to toast. Add the 100g (4oz) minced

meat and
> 1.25ml (1/4 tsp) allspice to the pan then fry for about 10 minutes until
> cooked. Season well with salt and black pepper.
> Meanwhile, put the remaining minced meat, drained bulgur, the remaining
> allspice and a generous amount of seasoning into the Kenwood Bowl. Mix,

using
> the K Beater at speed 1, for 5 minutes. Add the flour and mix at minimum

speed
> to incorporate thoroughly.
> Remove any remaining meat from the Mincer then replace the screen and

cutting
> blade with the Kebbe Maker Adaptor and assemble the attachment on the

Chef.
> Pass the bulgur mixture through the adaptor, cutting the tubing at 8cm

(3")
> intervals and laying each tube on a tray.
> To make the Kebbe balls, close one end of the tube, squeezing tightly to

seal
> well, and leaving the other end open. Press 15ml (1 tbsp) of the cooked

meat
> mixture into each shell then squeeze the open end to seal.
> Heat a pan of oil until moderately hot and deep-fry the Kebbe balls for

3-4
> minutes until golden. Serve immediately with a large salad and a spicy

yoghurt
> dressing.
> ---
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon

That sounds like it. The grinder booklet had the recipe but not any of the
"how to" information. So you make a tube of bulgar than stuff it with the
lamb mixture and fry, ok, I got it!
"Piedmont"

\Piedmont\