kalanamak

Default What to do with extra jalapenos

Ray wrote:

> Any suggestions??

Pickled peppers. I did mine from the garden this year, and yummmm. I
used some standard recipe I got off google.
blacksalt
Ray

I needed a jalapeno pepper for a fajita marinade. My wife had to buy a
whole pack of them at the supermarket. Is there a long term way to store
the extras?

Can they be frozen? Or will they turn to mush when thawed?

Any suggestions??

--
Ray

Remove NO and SPAM to reply

Wayne Boatwright

"Ray" > wrote in news:k9pMb.3785$q4.3086
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> I needed a jalapeno pepper for a fajita marinade. My wife had to buy a
> whole pack of them at the supermarket. Is there a long term way to store
> the extras?
>
> Can they be frozen? Or will they turn to mush when thawed?
>
> Any suggestions??

Doan't freeze. Halve or slice and fill a jar with the jalpeños and white
vinegar and store in refrigerator. The peppers can be used in many ways,
and the vinegar makes a good seasoning or in salad dressing.

Wayne
John Gaughan

Ray wrote:
> Any suggestions??

Make chipotles.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Ray

> Make chipotles.

I don't have a smoker. Can I do them in the oven??

"John Gaughan" > wrote in message
> Ray wrote:
> > Any suggestions??

> Make chipotles.
>
> --
> John Gaughan
> http://www.johngaughan.net/

zxcvbob

Ray wrote:

> I needed a jalapeno pepper for a fajita marinade. My wife had to buy a
> whole pack of them at the supermarket. Is there a long term way to store
> the extras?
>
> Can they be frozen? Or will they turn to mush when thawed?
>
> Any suggestions??

Yes you can freeze them. They *will* get mushy, but they'll still taste
fresh and you can cook with them.

How much is "a whole pack"?

I like to eat them fresh with a sandwich, like a normal person would eat a
dill pickle.

Bob
Reg

Ray wrote:

>>Make chipotles.

> I don't have a smoker. Can I do them in the oven??

Definitely. There's still quite good even without smoke.

John Gaughan

Ray wrote:
> Any suggestions??

Jalapeno poppers. I don't have a recipe handy but I'm sure Google knows
a few.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

hw

I have a recipe for a veggie soup that uses one jalapeno, cut up, seeds
removed, sauteed and is the only seasoning needed for the soup
flavoring....yeah, yeah, yeah...I'll post it when I get home from work
tonight...

Harriet & critters
"Ray" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> I needed a jalapeno pepper for a fajita marinade. My wife had to buy a
> whole pack of them at the supermarket. Is there a long term way to store
> the extras?
>
> Can they be frozen? Or will they turn to mush when thawed?
>
> Any suggestions??
>
> --
> Ray
>
> Remove NO and SPAM to reply

hw

just found these at the rec.food.recipes group...it was just posted....

harriet & critters

Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
Creamy Jalapeno Sauce

Creamy Jalapeno Sauce

3 cups ranch dressing
1/4 cup roasted green chilies (canned ok)
1/4 cup sliced jalapenos (can jalapeno )
3 Tablespoons of fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 tomato, diced

Prepare sauce by combining all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and
chill
so that flavors develop. Stir occasionally.

Creamy Jalapeno Sauce

1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons minced jalapeno slices (canned jalapeno)
2 teaspoons juice from jalapeno slices
3/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
dash salt

Prepare sauce by combining all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and
chill so that flavors develop. Stir occasionally.

"Ray" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> I needed a jalapeno pepper for a fajita marinade. My wife had to buy a
> whole pack of them at the supermarket. Is there a long term way to store
> the extras?
>
> Can they be frozen? Or will they turn to mush when thawed?

Ray

> Yes you can freeze them. They *will* get mushy, but they'll still taste
> fresh and you can cook with them.
>
> How much is "a whole pack"?

My marinade only needs one. There are 9 in the package.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Now I'm thinking I might make some
corn muffins with diced jalapenos in them.

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Ray wrote:
>
> > I needed a jalapeno pepper for a fajita marinade. My wife had to buy a
> > whole pack of them at the supermarket. Is there a long term way to

store
> > the extras?
> >
> > Can they be frozen? Or will they turn to mush when thawed?
> >
> > Any suggestions??
> >

> Yes you can freeze them. They *will* get mushy, but they'll still taste
> fresh and you can cook with them.
>
> How much is "a whole pack"?
>
> I like to eat them fresh with a sandwich, like a normal person would eat a
> dill pickle.
>
> Bob

Pan Ohco

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:33:08 GMT, "Ray" >
wrote:

>> How much is "a whole pack"?

>My marinade only needs one. There are 9 in the package.
>
>Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Now I'm thinking I might make some
>corn muffins with diced jalapenos in them.

Make a pepper cheese spread or dip.

Clean and mince the jalapenos, and mix with cheddar.
Pan Ohco
PENMART01

>"Ray" >
>wrote:
>

>>> How much is "a whole pack"?

>>My marinade only needs one. There are 9 in the package.

With a needle and thread string em up to dry... then use as you will... and
with no time contraints.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

zxcvbob

PENMART01 wrote:

>>>My marinade only needs one. There are 9 in the package.

> With a needle and thread string em up to dry... then use as you will... and
> with no time contraints.

That works with some peppers, but usually jalapenos will mold on the inside
before they dry -- they have very thick walls and a waxy skin. Sometimes
they just rot.

Regards,
Bob
Darkginger

Ken Davey > wrote in message
> Pickle them.
> My method:
> Cut into 3/8 inch rings.
> Enough cider vinegar to cover in a saucepan.
> Salt - maybe a scant teaspoon per cup.
> Bring briefly to a boil.
> Cool and jar.
> Keep in fridge.
> Great garnish for rice or use in salads.
> If you are a jalipeno addict like me use them on everything (g).
> Regards.
> Ken.

Yum. My preferred method of dealing with excess chilis of any kind (I grow
them) is to make wine from them - it's surprisingly good! Jack Keller's wine
site has a good recipe - http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques32.asp

I started a batch last Autumn, and it was quaffable by Christmas (although
what's left will probably improve with age). Started another batch last
week, as it was so good! I'm no expert at winemaking - only started last
year, so if I can do it, anyone can!

Jo

---

sf

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:21:19 -0800, "Ken Davey"
> wrote:

> Pickle them.
> My method:
> Cut into 3/8 inch rings.
> Enough cider vinegar to cover in a saucepan.
> Salt - maybe a scant teaspoon per cup.
> Bring briefly to a boil.
> Cool and jar.
> Keep in fridge.
> Great garnish for rice or use in salads.
> If you are a jalipeno addict like me use them on everything (g).

I've been told they freeze well too.

Bob Gottlieb

In article >, "Darkginger"
> wrote:

> Ken Davey > wrote in message
> > Pickle them.
> > My method:
> > Cut into 3/8 inch rings.
> > Enough cider vinegar to cover in a saucepan.
> > Salt - maybe a scant teaspoon per cup.
> > Bring briefly to a boil.
> > Cool and jar.
> > Keep in fridge.
> > Great garnish for rice or use in salads.
> > If you are a jalipeno addict like me use them on everything (g).
> > Regards.
> > Ken.

> Yum. My preferred method of dealing with excess chilis of any kind (I grow
> them) is to make wine from them - it's surprisingly good! Jack Keller's wine
> site has a good recipe - http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques32.asp
>
> I started a batch last Autumn, and it was quaffable by Christmas (although
> what's left will probably improve with age). Started another batch last
> week, as it was so good! I'm no expert at winemaking - only started last
> year, so if I can do it, anyone can!
>
> Jo
>

> ---

Try this:

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Marinated Vegetables (Chiles en Escabeche)

Recipe By:Bob
Serving Size: 1
Preparation Time: 0:30
Categories: Mexican Salads Vegetables Side Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1/2 cup corn oil (or any Veg oil)
12 *** cloves garlic
8 *** carrots, cut into 1/4" coins
2 *** onions peeled & wedged
1 *** cauliflower broken up
10 *** small red potatoes, parboiled and quartered
*** (canned potatoes work well too)
1 *** pound jalapeno's, quartered or cut into rings
1 *** quart distilled white vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
4 *** bay leaves
2 *** tablespoons oregano
2 *** tablespoons salt

€Heat oil in large heavy pot. Add garlic, carrots, cauliflower and
jalapeños; Sauté 6 minutes stirring continuously with wooden spoon. Add
vinegar, water and onions and bring to a quick boil. Add potatoes, spices
and salt; cover and turn off the heat.
Let steep for 10 minutes.
Uncover and transfer to another container to cool. These will keep 2 or 3
weeks in the refrigerator
‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Any hard type vegetable can be used, such as green beans, bell
peppers. The Chiles can be left off or just a few used for flavor

--
Life is like a roll of toilet paper
the closer you get to the end...

Bob Gottlieb
Dee Randall

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Ray" > wrote in news:k9pMb.3785$q4.3086
> @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
>
> > I needed a jalapeno pepper for a fajita marinade. My wife had to buy a
> > whole pack of them at the supermarket. Is there a long term way to

store
> > the extras?
> >
> > Can they be frozen? Or will they turn to mush when thawed?
> >
> > Any suggestions??
> >

> Doan't freeze. Halve or slice and fill a jar with the jalpeños and white
> vinegar and store in refrigerator. The peppers can be used in many ways,
> and the vinegar makes a good seasoning or in salad dressing.
>
> Wayne

I do the same thing with the very small green hot peppers - as small as
serranos and/or smaller and very hot --that I use 2 or 3 in Indian dishes.
I buy a tray of them at an Asian store, bring them home and fill a "ball"
jar with sherry, don't slice them, and then I have them to use as I need
them.

I do the same thing with ginger, so in case I run out, I will always have
some for a dish.
I slice the ginger into rounds before I pour the sherry over them and store
in the refrigerator.

I don't know if it is necessary to put in the refrigerator, but I do.

Dee

Dee

Tim Challenger

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 04:13:04 GMT, Ray wrote:

> I needed a jalapeno pepper for a fajita marinade. My wife had to buy a
> whole pack of them at the supermarket. Is there a long term way to store
> the extras?
>
> Can they be frozen? Or will they turn to mush when thawed?
>
> Any suggestions??

Long slice of baguette, covered with cheese and some diced smoked bacon and
slice jalapenos on top. Slap under the grill until the cheese melts.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Wayne Boatwright

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in
:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in
> message . ..
>> "Ray" > wrote in news:k9pMb.3785$q4.3086
>> @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
>>
>> > I needed a jalapeno pepper for a fajita marinade. My wife had to
>> > buy a whole pack of them at the supermarket. Is there a long term
>> > way to

> store
>> > the extras?
>> >
>> > Can they be frozen? Or will they turn to mush when thawed?
>> >
>> > Any suggestions??
>> >

>> Doan't freeze. Halve or slice and fill a jar with the jalpeños and
>> white vinegar and store in refrigerator. The peppers can be used in
>> many ways, and the vinegar makes a good seasoning or in salad
>> dressing.
>>
>> Wayne

> I do the same thing with the very small green hot peppers - as small
> as serranos and/or smaller and very hot --that I use 2 or 3 in Indian
> dishes. I buy a tray of them at an Asian store, bring them home and
> fill a "ball" jar with sherry, don't slice them, and then I have them
> to use as I need them.
>
> I do the same thing with ginger, so in case I run out, I will always
> have some for a dish.
> I slice the ginger into rounds before I pour the sherry over them and
> store in the refrigerator.
>
> I don't know if it is necessary to put in the refrigerator, but I do.
>
> Dee

Dee, sherry's a great idea! I do use it to store ginger, but never
thought about it for the peppers. Good alternative when you don't want
to add a vinegar flavor to the dish.

Wayne