feeding someone with no teeth

Old 11-01-2004, 04:26 AM
Raelene
Usenet poster

Default feeding someone with no teeth

Hi all,

What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?

My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no longer
feet....... consequently........ no teeth!

Yes, yes, yes I know.... get them fixed...... but it's not an option for
someone bedridden.

Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles supermarket
this morning.

Raelene - currently eating crushed Flake on Ice cream. Yummmooooooooo
xxx

---

Old 11-01-2004, 04:40 AM
Boron Elgar
Usenet poster

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:26:14 +0800, "Raelene"
wrote:

Hi all,

What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?

My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no longer
feet....... consequently........ no teeth!

Yes, yes, yes I know.... get them fixed...... but it's not an option for
someone bedridden.

Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles supermarket
this morning.

Raelene - currently eating crushed Flake on Ice cream. Yummmooooooooo
xxx

Broth (you can get canned chicken broth that is no salt or low fat, if
needed), fortified with cereals, such as oatmeal or cream of wheat.
Apple sauce, soft boiled eggs or softly scrambled ones, custards,
jello, puddings of any sort. Boiled egg yolks, mixed as for deviled
eggs.

Pureed fruits are always available in the baby food section, though
that can get pricey for a grown up. I have never seen a store that has
no apple sauce.

Fruit smoothies, made in a blender with yogurt and fresh fruit.

Even a donut dunked in coffee or milk might be ok, depending on its
texture. A corn muffin crumbled into warm milk or hot cocoa.

Canned tuna (with mayo) that has been mashed finely.

Ice cream.

Last, but not least, Ensure will provide correct nourishment.

If there are specific dietary concerns due to hospitalization, make
the necessary adjustments. Talk to her doctor.

May she recover quickly and may your care of her be as free of stress
for you as possible.

Boron
Old 11-01-2004, 06:59 AM
Katra
Usenet poster

In article ,
"Raelene" wrote:

Hi all,

What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?

My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no longer
feet....... consequently........ no teeth!

Yes, yes, yes I know.... get them fixed...... but it's not an option for
someone bedridden.

Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles supermarket
this morning.

Raelene - currently eating crushed Flake on Ice cream. Yummmooooooooo
xxx

What would you feed an infant? :-)

'bout the same really. Pureed real food, baby foods, protien shakes...

QED. :-)

K.

--
,,Cat's Haven Hobby ,,

Old 11-01-2004, 07:03 AM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

Katra wrote in
:

In article ,
"Raelene" wrote:

Hi all,

What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?

My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no
longer feet....... consequently........ no teeth!

Yes, yes, yes I know.... get them fixed...... but it's not an option
for someone bedridden.

Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles
supermarket this morning.

Raelene - currently eating crushed Flake on Ice cream.
Yummmooooooooo xxx

What would you feed an infant? :-)

'bout the same really. Pureed real food, baby foods, protien shakes...

QED. :-)

K.

You can puree damned near anything in either a blender or food processor.
What's the problem? Also, many foods can be cooked soft enough to eat
without teeth. I once work in an office with a woman who had no teeth
and wore no dentures. I couldn't believe the things she would "gum" for
lunch! G

Wayne
Old 11-01-2004, 12:36 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Raelene wrote:
Hi all,

What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?

My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no longer
feet....... consequently........ no teeth!

The hospital should have a dietician on staff. I suggest you consult
with the hospital's dietician ASAP regarding a diet for your mother.

Old 11-01-2004, 01:26 PM
kalanamak
Usenet poster

wrote:

Hi all,

What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?

My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no longer
feet....... consequently........ no teeth!

When people have been through alot, particularly the elderly, every
barrier to proper nutrition is an additional risk for malnutrition and
POOR HEALING. Unless she is gobbling down a balanced puree'd diet,
figure out what kind of Ensure, Resource, etc is best for her and that
she'll eat, and start SOON. They make these for renal patients,
diabetics, constipated people, lactose intolerance people, etc.
Anorexia is common after illness, so don't be alarmed, but don't let it
prolong her recovery.
blacksalt
who, unlike The Shadow, isn't the only one who knows this
Old 11-01-2004, 04:03 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

"Raelene" writes:

Hi all,

What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?

Hehe... this is too easy...

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 11-01-2004, 04:03 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

Katra writes:

"Raelene" wrote:

What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?
Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles
supermarket this morning.

What would you feed an infant? :-)

Ooo, mommy... now you're talking! ( ^ )( ^ )

Old 11-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Jerry Minasi
Usenet poster

wrote:

[...]

Cream of Chicken soup with well cooked "Rienzi brand Arborio Rice".
It's softer, stick-togeather rice. It's imported from Italy so not
every market carries it. Look in a italian market. It is carried in my
local "Pathmark" supermarket here in Long Island, NY.
Jerry
Old 11-01-2004, 07:16 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

Jerry Minasi

Boron Elgar wrote:

"Raelene" wrote:

What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?

My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no

longer
feet....... consequently........ no teeth!

Yes, yes, yes I know.... get them fixed...... but it's not an option for
someone bedridden.

Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles

supermarket
this morning.

Raelene - currently eating crushed Flake on Ice cream. Yummmooooooooo
xxx

Broth (you can get canned chicken broth

Cream of Chicken soup with well cooked "Rienzi brand Arborio Rice".
It's softer, stick-togeather rice. It's imported from Italy so not
every market carries it. Look in a italian market. It is carried in my
local "Pathmark" supermarket here in Long Island, NY.

Whaddayou, a friggin' sand flea that you live "in" an island... it's *ON* Long
Island... and that's Lung Guyland to you. hehe

Old 11-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Dan Abel
Usenet poster

In article , "Raelene"
wrote:

Hi all,

What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?

I've known a couple of people who have gotten their jaws wired shut.
Although they still have teeth, they can't use them, and they can't get
any kind of solid food into their mouth.

They ate whatever everybody else was eating, but their food went in the
blender first (with liquid added if necessary) and they had to eat through
a straw.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Old 31-01-2004, 03:56 PM
Goomba38
Usenet poster

Raels wrote:

What would you feed an infant? :-)

Ooo, mommy... now you're talking! ( ^ )( ^ )

Idiot

Au contraire.. it's a cheerful enthusiasm for natures best infant food.
And yeah.. apparently Sheldon's not the *only* male on the planet to
continue his childlike enjoyment. So what? Hardly worthy of your
sourpuss response, in my opinion. Lighten up.

Old 31-01-2004, 07:28 PM
K. Reece
Usenet poster

"Raelene" wrote in message
u...
Hi all,

What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?

My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no

longer
feet....... consequently........ no teeth!

Yes, yes, yes I know.... get them fixed...... but it's not an option for
someone bedridden.

Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles

supermarket
this morning.

Raelene - currently eating crushed Flake on Ice cream. Yummmooooooooo
xxx

My grandpa lost his teeth by the time I was born. The only things I know of
for sure he couldn't eat were nuts, raw carrots and apple peelings. He ate
everything else, well, of what he would eat. There were plenty of things he
wouldn't eat even if he did have teeth. But he ate steaks, pork chops,
chicken, roasts, vegetables and breads with no problems.

Kathy