FoodBanter.com

-   -   feeding someone with no teeth (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/3518-feeding-someone-no-teeth.html)

Raelene 11-01-2004 05:26 AM

feeding someone with no teeth

Hi all,

What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?

My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no longer
feet....... consequently........ no teeth!

Yes, yes, yes I know.... get them fixed...... but it's not an option for
someone bedridden.

Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles supermarket
this morning.

Raelene - currently eating crushed Flake on Ice cream. Yummmooooooooo
xxx

---

Boron Elgar 11-01-2004 05:40 AM

feeding someone with no teeth

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:26:14 +0800, "Raelene"
> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?
>
>My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no longer
>feet....... consequently........ no teeth!
>
>Yes, yes, yes I know.... get them fixed...... but it's not an option for
>someone bedridden.
>
>Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles supermarket
>this morning.
>
>Raelene - currently eating crushed Flake on Ice cream. Yummmooooooooo
>xxx

Broth (you can get canned chicken broth that is no salt or low fat, if
needed), fortified with cereals, such as oatmeal or cream of wheat.
Apple sauce, soft boiled eggs or softly scrambled ones, custards,
jello, puddings of any sort. Boiled egg yolks, mixed as for deviled
eggs.

Pureed fruits are always available in the baby food section, though
that can get pricey for a grown up. I have never seen a store that has
no apple sauce.

Fruit smoothies, made in a blender with yogurt and fresh fruit.

Even a donut dunked in coffee or milk might be ok, depending on its
texture. A corn muffin crumbled into warm milk or hot cocoa.

Canned tuna (with mayo) that has been mashed finely.

Ice cream.

Last, but not least, Ensure will provide correct nourishment.

If there are specific dietary concerns due to hospitalization, make
the necessary adjustments. Talk to her doctor.

May she recover quickly and may your care of her be as free of stress
for you as possible.

Boron

Katra 11-01-2004 07:59 AM

feeding someone with no teeth

In article > ,
"Raelene" > wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?
>
> My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no longer
> feet....... consequently........ no teeth!
>
> Yes, yes, yes I know.... get them fixed...... but it's not an option for
> someone bedridden.
>
> Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles supermarket
> this morning.
>
> Raelene - currently eating crushed Flake on Ice cream. Yummmooooooooo
> xxx

What would you feed an infant? :-)

'bout the same really. Pureed real food, baby foods, protien shakes...

QED. :-)

K.

Wayne Boatwright 11-01-2004 08:03 AM

feeding someone with no teeth

Katra > wrote in
:

> In article > ,
> "Raelene" > wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?
>>
>> My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no
>> longer feet....... consequently........ no teeth!
>>
>> Yes, yes, yes I know.... get them fixed...... but it's not an option
>> for someone bedridden.
>>
>> Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles
>> supermarket this morning.
>>
>> Raelene - currently eating crushed Flake on Ice cream.
>> Yummmooooooooo xxx
>>

> What would you feed an infant? :-)
>
> 'bout the same really. Pureed real food, baby foods, protien shakes...
>
> QED. :-)
>
> K.

You can puree damned near anything in either a blender or food processor.
What's the problem? Also, many foods can be cooked soft enough to eat
without teeth. I once work in an office with a woman who had no teeth
and wore no dentures. I couldn't believe the things she would "gum" for
lunch! <G>

Wayne

[email protected] 11-01-2004 01:36 PM

Raelene > wrote:
> Hi all,

> What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?

> My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no longer
> feet....... consequently........ no teeth!

The hospital should have a dietician on staff. I suggest you consult
with the hospital's dietician ASAP regarding a diet for your mother.

kalanamak 11-01-2004 02:26 PM

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:26:14 +0800, "Raelene"
> > wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?
> >
> >My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no longer
> >feet....... consequently........ no teeth!

When people have been through alot, particularly the elderly, every
barrier to proper nutrition is an additional risk for malnutrition and
POOR HEALING. Unless she is gobbling down a balanced puree'd diet,
figure out what kind of Ensure, Resource, etc is best for her and that
she'll eat, and start SOON. They make these for renal patients,
diabetics, constipated people, lactose intolerance people, etc.
Anorexia is common after illness, so don't be alarmed, but don't let it
prolong her recovery.
blacksalt
who, unlike The Shadow, isn't the only one who knows this

PENMART01 11-01-2004 05:03 PM

"Raelene" writes:

>Hi all,
>
>What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?

Hehe... this is too easy... ;)

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01 11-01-2004 05:03 PM

Katra > writes:

>"Raelene" wrote:
>>
>>What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?
>>Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles
>>supermarket this morning.

>What would you feed an infant? :-)

Ooo, mommy... now you're talking! ( ^ )( ^ )

Jerry Minasi 11-01-2004 06:12 PM

feeding someone with no teeth

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 23:40:35 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:26:14 +0800, "Raelene"
> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?
>>
>>My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no longer
>>feet....... consequently........ no teeth!
>>
>>Yes, yes, yes I know.... get them fixed...... but it's not an option for
>>someone bedridden.
>>
>>Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles supermarket
>>this morning.
>>
>>Raelene - currently eating crushed Flake on Ice cream. Yummmooooooooo
>>xxx
>>

>Broth (you can get canned chicken broth that is no salt or low fat, if
>needed), fortified with cereals, such as oatmeal or cream of wheat.
>Apple sauce, soft boiled eggs or softly scrambled ones, custards,
>jello, puddings of any sort. Boiled egg yolks, mixed as for deviled
>eggs.
>
>Pureed fruits are always available in the baby food section, though
>that can get pricey for a grown up. I have never seen a store that has
>no apple sauce.
>
>Fruit smoothies, made in a blender with yogurt and fresh fruit.
>
>Even a donut dunked in coffee or milk might be ok, depending on its
>texture. A corn muffin crumbled into warm milk or hot cocoa.
>
>Canned tuna (with mayo) that has been mashed finely.
>
>Ice cream.
>
>Last, but not least, Ensure will provide correct nourishment.
>
>If there are specific dietary concerns due to hospitalization, make
>the necessary adjustments. Talk to her doctor.
>
>May she recover quickly and may your care of her be as free of stress
>for you as possible.
>

>Boron

Cream of Chicken soup with well cooked "Rienzi brand Arborio Rice".
It's softer, stick-togeather rice. It's imported from Italy so not
every market carries it. Look in a italian market. It is carried in my
local "Pathmark" supermarket here in Long Island, NY.
Jerry

PENMART01 11-01-2004 08:16 PM

feeding someone with no teeth

>Jerry Minasi

>>Boron Elgar wrote:

>>>"Raelene" wrote:

>>>What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?
>>>
>>>My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no

>longer
>>>feet....... consequently........ no teeth!
>>>
>>>Yes, yes, yes I know.... get them fixed...... but it's not an option for
>>>someone bedridden.
>>>
>>>Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles

>supermarket
>>>this morning.
>>>
>>>Raelene - currently eating crushed Flake on Ice cream. Yummmooooooooo
>>>xxx
>>>

>>Broth (you can get canned chicken broth

>Cream of Chicken soup with well cooked "Rienzi brand Arborio Rice".
>It's softer, stick-togeather rice. It's imported from Italy so not
>every market carries it. Look in a italian market. It is carried in my
>local "Pathmark" supermarket here in Long Island, NY.

Whaddayou, a friggin' sand flea that you live "in" an island... it's *ON* Long
Island... and that's Lung Guyland to you. hehe

Dan Abel 11-01-2004 09:13 PM

feeding someone with no teeth

In article > , "Raelene"
> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?

I've known a couple of people who have gotten their jaws wired shut.
Although they still have teeth, they can't use them, and they can't get
any kind of solid food into their mouth.

They ate whatever everybody else was eating, but their food went in the
blender first (with liquid added if necessary) and they had to eat through
a straw.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Katra 11-01-2004 10:49 PM

feeding someone with no teeth

In article >,
(PENMART01) wrote:

> Katra > writes:
>
> >"Raelene" wrote:
> >>
> >>What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?
> >>Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles
> >>supermarket this morning.

> >What would you feed an infant? :-)

> Ooo, mommy... now you're talking! ( ^ )( ^ )
>
> Sheldon

You are SUCH a nasty boy! LOL!

K.

Raels 31-01-2004 07:09 AM

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> Katra > writes:
>
> >"Raelene" wrote:
> >>
> >>What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?
> >>Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles

supermarket this morning.

> >What would you feed an infant? :-)

> Ooo, mommy... now you're talking! ( ^ )( ^ )

Idiot

Goomba38 31-01-2004 04:56 PM

Raels wrote:

> > >What would you feed an infant? :-)

> > Ooo, mommy... now you're talking! ( ^ )( ^ )

> Idiot

Au contraire.. it's a cheerful enthusiasm for natures best infant food.
And yeah.. apparently Sheldon's not the *only* male on the planet to
continue his childlike enjoyment. So what? Hardly worthy of your
sourpuss response, in my opinion. Lighten up.

K. Reece 31-01-2004 08:28 PM

feeding someone with no teeth

"Raelene" > wrote in message
u...
> Hi all,
>
> What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?
>
> My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no

longer
> feet....... consequently........ no teeth!
>
> Yes, yes, yes I know.... get them fixed...... but it's not an option for
> someone bedridden.
>
> Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles

supermarket
> this morning.
>
> Raelene - currently eating crushed Flake on Ice cream. Yummmooooooooo
> xxx

My grandpa lost his teeth by the time I was born. The only things I know of
for sure he couldn't eat were nuts, raw carrots and apple peelings. He ate
everything else, well, of what he would eat. There were plenty of things he
wouldn't eat even if he did have teeth. But he ate steaks, pork chops,
chicken, roasts, vegetables and breads with no problems.

Kathy

Margaret Suran 31-01-2004 08:28 PM

K. Reece wrote:
> "Raelene" > wrote in message
> u...
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>What the heck am I supposed to feed someone who has no teeth?
>>
>>My mother is convalescing from a major hosp. op. & the false teeth no

> longer
>
>>feet....... consequently........ no teeth!
>>
>>Yes, yes, yes I know.... get them fixed...... but it's not an option for
>>someone bedridden.
>>
>>Heck, I couldn't even find a can of pureed(?) fruit at the Coles

> supermarket
>
>>this morning.
>>
>>Raelene - currently eating crushed Flake on Ice cream. Yummmooooooooo
>>xxx

> My grandpa lost his teeth by the time I was born. The only things I know of
> for sure he couldn't eat were nuts, raw carrots and apple peelings. He ate
> everything else, well, of what he would eat. There were plenty of things he
> wouldn't eat even if he did have teeth. But he ate steaks, pork chops,
> chicken, roasts, vegetables and breads with no problems.
>
> Kathy

What about Baby Food for the first few days. After that, you can
probably food processor the mash up foods.

Raels 02-02-2004 01:30 AM

feeding someone with no teeth

someone contributed and said in message

> You can puree damned near anything in either a blender or food processor.
> What's the problem? Also, many foods can be cooked soft enough to eat
> without teeth. I once work in an office with a woman who had no teeth
> and wore no dentures. I couldn't believe the things she would "gum" for

lunch! <G>

> Wayne

Maybe the person I'm preparing food for is just being difficult. Mind you,
I don't know if I'd eat a pureed steak. ;)
Plus, the person has a Stoma (colon.....something) so some things are
out....... like skins on grapes, etc.

Raelene
xxx

Laura 04-02-2004 01:40 AM

feeding someone with no teeth

baby food..avoid the meets though,custard pudding type deserts yum..

--

Laura

Ken Davey 04-02-2004 08:42 PM

feeding someone with no teeth

A person with no teeth can eat just about anything except
Stuff that is crisp or contains hard bits.
Meat (tender) is no problem. Cooked veggies likewise.
Experiment - what can be will be (eaten).
Ken.

Nancy Young 04-02-2004 08:55 PM

Ken Davey wrote:

> A person with no teeth can eat just about anything except
> Stuff that is crisp or contains hard bits.

Am I the only person who cracked up at the Oreo commercial where the
grandpa and the kid soak and soak their oreos in milk? Neither one
of them have teeth. So funny. Sweet.

nancy

MurphAssoc 04-02-2004 09:23 PM

feeding someone with no teeth