D. A.'Dutch' Martinich

Default toasted cheese??

In the Patrick O'Brian Aubry/Maturin novels about the British navy,
toasted cheese is often mentioned as a late evening snack served in
the captain's cabin. Yes, I know there is a food book written as a
spin-off from the series, but I don't have it and neither does my
library. Do any of Her Majesty's subjects out there know how it is
actually prepared? (I would enjoy Manchego just like Killick!)
Thanks,
D.M.
Charles Gifford

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> (D. A.'Dutch' Martinich) wrote in
> m:
>
> > In the Patrick O'Brian Aubry/Maturin novels about the British navy,
> > toasted cheese is often mentioned as a late evening snack served in
> > the captain's cabin. Yes, I know there is a food book written as a
> > spin-off from the series, but I don't have it and neither does my
> > library. Do any of Her Majesty's subjects out there know how it is
> > actually prepared? (I would enjoy Manchego just like Killick!)
> > Thanks,
> > D.M.
> >

> I haven't read the novels and don't have the food book, but it's very
> likely that "toasted cheese" in that framework is much like Welsh Rarebit.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix

Haven't read the novels nor the cook book, but you reply anyway. Fortunately
you are correct! <grin>

Paraphrased from "Lobscouse and Spotted Dog", Grossman and Thomas: Toast
soft bread or hard tack as available and place in a dish. Top with shredded
or thinly sliced cheese and brown under a salamander. As with early cheese
rabbits, the toast may be soaked with porter (the cheese may be sprinkled
with mustard too).

These books take place just after the turn of the century (19th) and toasted
cheese is very much related to early recipes for cheese rabbits (rarebits).
An early 18th century recipe for London Rabbit would be: Toast a 1/2-inch
slice of country bread on both sides and put it on a heat-proof platter or
dish. Soak the bread with as much porter as it will hold without becoming
too soft. Top with thinly sliced or shredded Cheddar or similar cheese.
Place under a salamander until the cheese is melted and browned. As with the
toasted cheese above, the cheese can be sprinkled with ground mustard seeds.
For a Cambridge Rabbit later in the 18th century, substitute sherry for the
porter and Cheshire for the Cheddar.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> (D. A.'Dutch' Martinich) wrote in
> m:
>
> > In the Patrick O'Brian Aubry/Maturin novels about the British navy,
> > toasted cheese is often mentioned as a late evening snack served in
> > the captain's cabin. Yes, I know there is a food book written as a
> > spin-off from the series, but I don't have it and neither does my
> > library. Do any of Her Majesty's subjects out there know how it is
> > actually prepared? (I would enjoy Manchego just like Killick!)
> > Thanks,
> > D.M.
> >

> I haven't read the novels and don't have the food book, but it's very
> likely that "toasted cheese" in that framework is much like Welsh Rarebit.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix

Haven't read the novels nor the cook book, but you reply anyway. Fortunately
you are correct! <grin>

Paraphrased from "Lobscouse and Spotted Dog", Grossman and Thomas: Toast
soft bread or hard tack as available and place in a dish. Top with shredded
or thinly sliced cheese and brown under a salamander. As with early cheese
rabbits, the toast may be soaked with porter (the cheese may be sprinkled
with mustard too).

These books take place just after the turn of the century (19th) and toasted
cheese is very much related to early recipes for cheese rabbits (rarebits).
An early 18th century recipe for London Rabbit would be: Toast a 1/2-inch
slice of country bread on both sides and put it on a heat-proof platter or
dish. Soak the bread with as much porter as it will hold without becoming
too soft. Top with thinly sliced or shredded Cheddar or similar cheese.
Place under a salamander until the cheese is melted and browned. As with the
toasted cheese above, the cheese can be sprinkled with ground mustard seeds.
For a Cambridge Rabbit later in the 18th century, substitute sherry for the
porter and Cheshire for the Cheddar.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"D. A.'Dutch' Martinich" > wrote in message
m...
> In the Patrick O'Brian Aubry/Maturin novels about the British navy,
> toasted cheese is often mentioned as a late evening snack served in
> the captain's cabin. Yes, I know there is a food book written as a
> spin-off from the series, but I don't have it and neither does my
> library. Do any of Her Majesty's subjects out there know how it is
> actually prepared? (I would enjoy Manchego just like Killick!)
> Thanks,
> D.M.

I have answered under Wayne's post. I'm not one of Her Majesty's subjects,
but do know how it is prepared. If you watch the film Killick prepares this
dish in a silver "toasted cheese" dish. Fortunately you do not need a
specialized dish as they are not easy to find these days! I do urge you to
purchase the cookbook "Lobscouse and Spotted Dog" by Anne Chotzinoff
Grossman and Lisa Grossman Thomas. It is extremely valuable to all who are
interested in the O'Brian books. Amazon has it and the price is reasonable.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"D. A.'Dutch' Martinich" > wrote in message
m...
> In the Patrick O'Brian Aubry/Maturin novels about the British navy,
> toasted cheese is often mentioned as a late evening snack served in
> the captain's cabin. Yes, I know there is a food book written as a
> spin-off from the series, but I don't have it and neither does my
> library. Do any of Her Majesty's subjects out there know how it is
> actually prepared? (I would enjoy Manchego just like Killick!)
> Thanks,
> D.M.

I have answered under Wayne's post. I'm not one of Her Majesty's subjects,
but do know how it is prepared. If you watch the film Killick prepares this
dish in a silver "toasted cheese" dish. Fortunately you do not need a
specialized dish as they are not easy to find these days! I do urge you to
purchase the cookbook "Lobscouse and Spotted Dog" by Anne Chotzinoff
Grossman and Lisa Grossman Thomas. It is extremely valuable to all who are
interested in the O'Brian books. Amazon has it and the price is reasonable.

Charlie

Wayne

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in
nk.net:

> "Wayne" > wrote in message
>> (D. A.'Dutch' Martinich) wrote in
>> m:
>>
>> > In the Patrick O'Brian Aubry/Maturin novels about the British navy,
>> > toasted cheese is often mentioned as a late evening snack served in
>> > the captain's cabin. Yes, I know there is a food book written as a
>> > spin-off from the series, but I don't have it and neither does my
>> > library. Do any of Her Majesty's subjects out there know how it is
>> > actually prepared? (I would enjoy Manchego just like Killick!)
>> > Thanks,
>> > D.M.
>> >

>> I haven't read the novels and don't have the food book, but it's very
>> likely that "toasted cheese" in that framework is much like Welsh
>> Rarebit.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne in Phoenix

> Haven't read the novels nor the cook book, but you reply anyway.
> Fortunately you are correct! <grin>

Hehehe... Well actually, Charlie, I did a little research before I
replied.

I really enjoyed your detail!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in
nk.net:

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Arri London

"D. A.'Dutch' Martinich" wrote:

> In the Patrick O'Brian Aubry/Maturin novels about the British navy,
> toasted cheese is often mentioned as a late evening snack served in
> the captain's cabin. Yes, I know there is a food book written as a
> spin-off from the series, but I don't have it and neither does my
> library. Do any of Her Majesty's subjects out there know how it is
> actually prepared? (I would enjoy Manchego just like Killick!)
> Thanks,
> D.M.

The simplest method is to put cheese on toast and run it under the
grill/broiler until it is brown and melted.
Can be seasoned if liked, of course.

Otherwise it is melted in a cheese toaster (of course), mixed with
prepared mustard then browned. Either serve with toast separately or
spread it on the toast and serve that way.

Arri London

"D. A.'Dutch' Martinich" wrote:

> In the Patrick O'Brian Aubry/Maturin novels about the British navy,
> toasted cheese is often mentioned as a late evening snack served in
> the captain's cabin. Yes, I know there is a food book written as a
> spin-off from the series, but I don't have it and neither does my
> library. Do any of Her Majesty's subjects out there know how it is
> actually prepared? (I would enjoy Manchego just like Killick!)
> Thanks,
> D.M.

The simplest method is to put cheese on toast and run it under the
grill/broiler until it is brown and melted.
Can be seasoned if liked, of course.

Otherwise it is melted in a cheese toaster (of course), mixed with
prepared mustard then browned. Either serve with toast separately or
spread it on the toast and serve that way.
Christine Dabney

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:22:53 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>Haven't read the novels nor the cook book, but you reply anyway. Fortunately
>you are correct! <grin>
>
>Paraphrased from "Lobscouse and Spotted Dog", Grossman and Thomas: Toast
>soft bread or hard tack as available and place in a dish. Top with shredded
>or thinly sliced cheese and brown under a salamander. As with early cheese
>rabbits, the toast may be soaked with porter (the cheese may be sprinkled
>with mustard too).

The author of Lobscouse and Spotted Dog, Lisa Grossman is an active
participant and poster on eGullet forums.

Christine

Christine Dabney

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:22:53 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>Haven't read the novels nor the cook book, but you reply anyway. Fortunately
>you are correct! <grin>
>
>Paraphrased from "Lobscouse and Spotted Dog", Grossman and Thomas: Toast
>soft bread or hard tack as available and place in a dish. Top with shredded
>or thinly sliced cheese and brown under a salamander. As with early cheese
>rabbits, the toast may be soaked with porter (the cheese may be sprinkled
>with mustard too).

The author of Lobscouse and Spotted Dog, Lisa Grossman is an active
participant and poster on eGullet forums.

Christine

notbob

On 2004-09-15, D. A.'Dutch' Martinich > wrote:

> library. Do any of Her Majesty's subjects out there know how it is
> actually prepared? (I would enjoy Manchego just like Killick!)

I have the Thomas/Grossman cookbook, but Charlie did such a good job of
paraprasing the book, I need not repeat it. Just to add my own
observaions, toasted cheese is basically what we Americans have come to call
French toast, only without the garlic. Take some bread, put some cheese on
top, and toast it under a hot broiler until the cheese melts and begins to
brown. I'd say a grilled cheese sandwich is a contemporary evolution of
this basic toast and melted cheese dish.

One of the particulars of the books (I'm on the last one! :\ ) is the
Captain's ornate cheese server, "...a remarkably elegant piece of Irish
silver, a covered outer dish that held six within it, the whole kept warm
over a spirit-stove;...". In the movie Master and Commander, this toasted
cheese server is nicely revealed in one of the evening meal scenes. After
months at sea, it often got down to just hardtack crumbs and cheese rinds.
With the addition of a little moisture, these could still be used in the
individual dishes of the server.

BTW, if anyone would like any of the recipes from the Lobscouse & Spotted
Dog cookbook, send me an email and I'll get back. Put "Lobscouse" in the
subject line so I don't inadvertently flag you as spam.

send queries to: a qbg obo ng pbzpnfg qbg arg (rot-13)

nb
notbob

On 2004-09-15, D. A.'Dutch' Martinich > wrote:

> library. Do any of Her Majesty's subjects out there know how it is
> actually prepared? (I would enjoy Manchego just like Killick!)

I have the Thomas/Grossman cookbook, but Charlie did such a good job of
paraprasing the book, I need not repeat it. Just to add my own
observaions, toasted cheese is basically what we Americans have come to call
French toast, only without the garlic. Take some bread, put some cheese on
top, and toast it under a hot broiler until the cheese melts and begins to
brown. I'd say a grilled cheese sandwich is a contemporary evolution of
this basic toast and melted cheese dish.

One of the particulars of the books (I'm on the last one! :\ ) is the
Captain's ornate cheese server, "...a remarkably elegant piece of Irish
silver, a covered outer dish that held six within it, the whole kept warm
over a spirit-stove;...". In the movie Master and Commander, this toasted
cheese server is nicely revealed in one of the evening meal scenes. After
months at sea, it often got down to just hardtack crumbs and cheese rinds.
With the addition of a little moisture, these could still be used in the
individual dishes of the server.

BTW, if anyone would like any of the recipes from the Lobscouse & Spotted
Dog cookbook, send me an email and I'll get back. Put "Lobscouse" in the
subject line so I don't inadvertently flag you as spam.

send queries to: a qbg obo ng pbzpnfg qbg arg (rot-13)

nb

Nancy Young

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-09-15, D. A.'Dutch' Martinich > wrote:
>
> > library. Do any of Her Majesty's subjects out there know how it is
> > actually prepared? (I would enjoy Manchego just like Killick!)

> I have the Thomas/Grossman cookbook, but Charlie did such a good job of
> paraprasing the book, I need not repeat it. Just to add my own
> observaions, toasted cheese is basically what we Americans have come to call
> French toast, only without the garlic. Take some bread, put some cheese on
> top, and toast it under a hot broiler until the cheese melts and begins to
> brown.

!!????? That's not French toast! And I'm an American and everything!

(laugh) nancy
kilikini

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> notbob wrote:
>
> > On 2004-09-15, D. A.'Dutch' Martinich > wrote:
> >
> > > library. Do any of Her Majesty's subjects out there know how it is
> > > actually prepared? (I would enjoy Manchego just like Killick!)

> > I have the Thomas/Grossman cookbook, but Charlie did such a good job of
> > paraprasing the book, I need not repeat it. Just to add my own
> > observaions, toasted cheese is basically what we Americans have come to

call
> > French toast, only without the garlic. Take some bread, put some cheese

on
> > top, and toast it under a hot broiler until the cheese melts and begins

> > brown.

> !!????? That's not French toast! And I'm an American and everything!
>
> (laugh) nancy

That sounds more like an open faced grilled cheese sandwich. French toast
requires bread to be soaked in egg and milk (with various other yummy things
if you so desire) and browned on a griddle. 2 entirely different things.

kili

kilikini

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> notbob wrote:
>
> > On 2004-09-15, D. A.'Dutch' Martinich > wrote:
> >
> > > library. Do any of Her Majesty's subjects out there know how it is
> > > actually prepared? (I would enjoy Manchego just like Killick!)

> > I have the Thomas/Grossman cookbook, but Charlie did such a good job of
> > paraprasing the book, I need not repeat it. Just to add my own
> > observaions, toasted cheese is basically what we Americans have come to

call
> > French toast, only without the garlic. Take some bread, put some cheese

on
> > top, and toast it under a hot broiler until the cheese melts and begins

> > brown.

> !!????? That's not French toast! And I'm an American and everything!
>
> (laugh) nancy

That sounds more like an open faced grilled cheese sandwich. French toast
requires bread to be soaked in egg and milk (with various other yummy things
if you so desire) and browned on a griddle. 2 entirely different things.

kili

Nancy Young

kilikini wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > notbob wrote:

> > > Just to add my own
> > > observaions, toasted cheese is basically what we Americans have come to

> call
> > > French toast, only without the garlic. Take some bread, put some cheese

> on
> > > top, and toast it under a hot broiler until the cheese melts and begins

> > > brown.

> > !!????? That's not French toast! And I'm an American and everything!

> That sounds more like an open faced grilled cheese sandwich. French toast
> requires bread to be soaked in egg and milk (with various other yummy things
> if you so desire) and browned on a griddle. 2 entirely different things.

Precisely. Cinnamon and butter and maple syrup on mine, please.

nancy
Nancy Young

kilikini wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > notbob wrote:

> > > Just to add my own
> > > observaions, toasted cheese is basically what we Americans have come to

> call
> > > French toast, only without the garlic. Take some bread, put some cheese

> on
> > > top, and toast it under a hot broiler until the cheese melts and begins

> > > brown.

> > !!????? That's not French toast! And I'm an American and everything!

> That sounds more like an open faced grilled cheese sandwich. French toast
> requires bread to be soaked in egg and milk (with various other yummy things
> if you so desire) and browned on a griddle. 2 entirely different things.

Precisely. Cinnamon and butter and maple syrup on mine, please.

nancy

Dave Smith

notbob wrote:

> I have the Thomas/Grossman cookbook, but Charlie did such a good job of
> paraprasing the book, I need not repeat it. Just to add my own observaions,
> toasted cheese is basically what we Americans have come to call French toast,
> only without the garlic. Take some bread, put some cheese on top, and toast
> it under a hot broiler until the cheese melts and begins to brown. I'd say a
> grilled cheese sandwich is a contemporary evolution of this basic toast and
> melted cheese dish.

French toast?? It sounds more like what we always called Cheese dreams. Slap
some sliced cheese on a piece of bread and stick it under a broiler, even better
with a piece of bacon on top.

French toast is entirely different. That is a piece of stale bread dunked into a
mixture of beaten egg and milk and then fried.

Tara

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:15:24 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> Just to add my own observaions, toasted cheese is basically what we Americans have come to call
>French toast, only without the garlic. Take some bread, put some cheese on
>top, and toast it under a hot broiler until the cheese melts and begins to
>brown.

I call that cheese toast.

Tara
Tara

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:15:24 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> Just to add my own observaions, toasted cheese is basically what we Americans have come to call
>French toast, only without the garlic. Take some bread, put some cheese on
>top, and toast it under a hot broiler until the cheese melts and begins to
>brown.

I call that cheese toast.

Tara
notbob

On 2004-09-16, Nancy Young > wrote:

> !!????? That's not French toast! And I'm an American and everything!

Oops! My mistake. I meant to say French Bread ...which is still
undoubtedly a misnomer. This has always cracked me up ...Americans serving
French bread with Italian cuisine. Who comes up with this stuff!?

nb
notbob

On 2004-09-16, Nancy Young > wrote:

> !!????? That's not French toast! And I'm an American and everything!

Oops! My mistake. I meant to say French Bread ...which is still
undoubtedly a misnomer. This has always cracked me up ...Americans serving
French bread with Italian cuisine. Who comes up with this stuff!?

nb

Nancy Young

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-09-16, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
> > !!????? That's not French toast! And I'm an American and everything!

> Oops! My mistake. I meant to say French Bread ...which is still
> undoubtedly a misnomer. This has always cracked me up ...Americans serving
> French bread with Italian cuisine. Who comes up with this stuff!?

(laugh) Well, I've had Italian garlic bread that you can order with
melted mozzarella. Me, I like my garlic bread with a double dose of
garlic. Anyway, I'm sure it's different depending upon where you
live. A friend of mine was served 'garlic bread' on a hot dog bun
in Vermont. Rest assured, that wouldn't fly here.

nancy
Nancy Young

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-09-16, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
> > !!????? That's not French toast! And I'm an American and everything!

> Oops! My mistake. I meant to say French Bread ...which is still
> undoubtedly a misnomer. This has always cracked me up ...Americans serving
> French bread with Italian cuisine. Who comes up with this stuff!?

(laugh) Well, I've had Italian garlic bread that you can order with
melted mozzarella. Me, I like my garlic bread with a double dose of
garlic. Anyway, I'm sure it's different depending upon where you
live. A friend of mine was served 'garlic bread' on a hot dog bun
in Vermont. Rest assured, that wouldn't fly here.

nancy
Wayne

notbob > wrote in

> On 2004-09-15, D. A.'Dutch' Martinich > wrote:
>
>> library. Do any of Her Majesty's subjects out there know how it is
>> actually prepared? (I would enjoy Manchego just like Killick!)

> I have the Thomas/Grossman cookbook, but Charlie did such a good job
> of paraprasing the book, I need not repeat it. Just to add my own
> observaions, toasted cheese is basically what we Americans have come
> to call French toast, only without the garlic. Take some bread, put

French Toast? Not like any French Toast I've made or eaten. American
French Toast has no cheese whatsoever, is dipped in an egg batter and
fried. Or am I totally missing what you said?

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Nancy Young

notbob has already said he misspoke, he meant something else.

nancy
Charles Gifford

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:22:53 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > wrote:
>

> >Haven't read the novels nor the cook book, but you reply anyway.

Fortunately
> >you are correct! <grin>
> >
> >Paraphrased from "Lobscouse and Spotted Dog", Grossman and Thomas: Toast
> >soft bread or hard tack as available and place in a dish. Top with

shredded
> >or thinly sliced cheese and brown under a salamander. As with early

cheese
> >rabbits, the toast may be soaked with porter (the cheese may be

sprinkled
> >with mustard too).

> The author of Lobscouse and Spotted Dog, Lisa Grossman is an active
> participant and poster on eGullet forums.
>
> Christine

She and her mother used to post frequently to the O'Brian email list -- Lisa
more than Anne as I remember. Both are very nice ladies and have done a HUGE
amount of research on period cooking. It is a wonderful cookbook!

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:22:53 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > wrote:
>

> >Haven't read the novels nor the cook book, but you reply anyway.

Fortunately
> >you are correct! <grin>
> >
> >Paraphrased from "Lobscouse and Spotted Dog", Grossman and Thomas: Toast
> >soft bread or hard tack as available and place in a dish. Top with

shredded
> >or thinly sliced cheese and brown under a salamander. As with early

cheese
> >rabbits, the toast may be soaked with porter (the cheese may be

sprinkled
> >with mustard too).

> The author of Lobscouse and Spotted Dog, Lisa Grossman is an active
> participant and poster on eGullet forums.
>
> Christine

She and her mother used to post frequently to the O'Brian email list -- Lisa
more than Anne as I remember. Both are very nice ladies and have done a HUGE
amount of research on period cooking. It is a wonderful cookbook!

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"kilikini" > wrote in message

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> > notbob wrote:

> > > I have the Thomas/Grossman cookbook, but Charlie did such a good job

of
> > > paraprasing the book, I need not repeat it. Just to add my own
> > > observaions, toasted cheese is basically what we Americans have come

> call
> > > French toast, only without the garlic. Take some bread, put some

cheese
> on
> > > top, and toast it under a hot broiler until the cheese melts and

begins
> > > brown.

> > !!????? That's not French toast! And I'm an American and everything!
> >
> > (laugh) nancy

> That sounds more like an open faced grilled cheese sandwich. French toast
> requires bread to be soaked in egg and milk (with various other yummy

things
> if you so desire) and browned on a griddle. 2 entirely different things.
>
> kili

I thought it was a little odd to until I reflected on it. I wouldn't use it
as an example of a similar thing, but both are soaked then browned. The
early rabbits toasted the bread first, then soaked in porter rather than
eggs and milk, and then browned under the heat source rather than on the
heat source. Close really. Of course the seasoning is different. <s>

Toasted cheese as found in the O'Brian cannon are a direct relation to
cheese rabbits. While a cheese rabbit can't be closely related to a "toasted
cheese sandwich", a serving of toasted cheese might be. However, I think our
modern toasted cheese sandwich is a derivative of the traditional English
cheese and pickle sandwich with the method realized with the cultural memory
of toasted cheese.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"kilikini" > wrote in message

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> > notbob wrote:

> > > I have the Thomas/Grossman cookbook, but Charlie did such a good job

of
> > > paraprasing the book, I need not repeat it. Just to add my own
> > > observaions, toasted cheese is basically what we Americans have come

> call
> > > French toast, only without the garlic. Take some bread, put some

cheese
> on
> > > top, and toast it under a hot broiler until the cheese melts and

begins
> > > brown.

> > !!????? That's not French toast! And I'm an American and everything!
> >
> > (laugh) nancy

> That sounds more like an open faced grilled cheese sandwich. French toast
> requires bread to be soaked in egg and milk (with various other yummy

things
> if you so desire) and browned on a griddle. 2 entirely different things.
>
> kili

I thought it was a little odd to until I reflected on it. I wouldn't use it
as an example of a similar thing, but both are soaked then browned. The
early rabbits toasted the bread first, then soaked in porter rather than
eggs and milk, and then browned under the heat source rather than on the
heat source. Close really. Of course the seasoning is different. <s>

Toasted cheese as found in the O'Brian cannon are a direct relation to
cheese rabbits. While a cheese rabbit can't be closely related to a "toasted
cheese sandwich", a serving of toasted cheese might be. However, I think our
modern toasted cheese sandwich is a derivative of the traditional English
cheese and pickle sandwich with the method realized with the cultural memory
of toasted cheese.

Charlie

Wayne

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> notbob has already said he misspoke, he meant something else.
>
> nancy

Sorry, but that post wasn't on my server when I posted.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> notbob has already said he misspoke, he meant something else.
>
> nancy

Sorry, but that post wasn't on my server when I posted.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Christine Dabney

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 00:58:07 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>She and her mother used to post frequently to the O'Brian email list -- Lisa
>more than Anne as I remember. Both are very nice ladies and have done a HUGE
>amount of research on period cooking. It is a wonderful cookbook!
>
>Charlie

Yes, I have heard that it is. I have been keeping my eyes out for it.
Lisa did a wonderful blog on eGullet several months back. The link
for it is:

http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?showtopic=41457

Christine

Christine Dabney

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 00:58:07 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>She and her mother used to post frequently to the O'Brian email list -- Lisa
>more than Anne as I remember. Both are very nice ladies and have done a HUGE
>amount of research on period cooking. It is a wonderful cookbook!
>
>Charlie

Yes, I have heard that it is. I have been keeping my eyes out for it.
Lisa did a wonderful blog on eGullet several months back. The link
for it is:

http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?showtopic=41457

Christine

Charles Gifford

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2004-09-16, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
> > !!????? That's not French toast! And I'm an American and everything!

> Oops! My mistake. I meant to say French Bread ...which is still
> undoubtedly a misnomer. This has always cracked me up ...Americans

serving
> French bread with Italian cuisine. Who comes up with this stuff!?
>
> nb

Ah, that is different. And after I went to the trouble of making a
comparison. <sigh> Your new example is a good one too, except you gotta add
a LOT more cheese! ----- and no garlic.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2004-09-16, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
> > !!????? That's not French toast! And I'm an American and everything!

> Oops! My mistake. I meant to say French Bread ...which is still
> undoubtedly a misnomer. This has always cracked me up ...Americans

serving
> French bread with Italian cuisine. Who comes up with this stuff!?
>
> nb

Ah, that is different. And after I went to the trouble of making a
comparison. <sigh> Your new example is a good one too, except you gotta add
a LOT more cheese! ----- and no garlic.

Charlie

Nancy Young

Wayne wrote:

> Nancy Young > wrote in

> > notbob has already said he misspoke, he meant something else.

> Sorry, but that post wasn't on my server when I posted.

That's okay, I'm just sayin' ... I'm still not even sure what he
meant but he admits he did not mean french toast.

nancy