Wayne

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>>
>> Nancy Young > wrote in

>> > notbob has already said he misspoke, he meant something else.

>> Sorry, but that post wasn't on my server when I posted.

> That's okay, I'm just sayin' ... I'm still not even sure what he
> meant but he admits he did not mean french toast.
>
> nancy

I think his subsequent post (which I have now seen) said he meant French
bread, then on with the process.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>>
>> Nancy Young > wrote in

>> > notbob has already said he misspoke, he meant something else.

>> Sorry, but that post wasn't on my server when I posted.

> That's okay, I'm just sayin' ... I'm still not even sure what he
> meant but he admits he did not mean french toast.
>
> nancy

I think his subsequent post (which I have now seen) said he meant French
bread, then on with the process.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
notbob

On 2004-09-17, Charles Gifford > wrote:

> Ah, that is different. And after I went to the trouble of making a
> comparison. <sigh> Your new example is a good one too, except you gotta add
> a LOT more cheese! ----- and no garlic.

Yeah, I've tried it a couple different ways with a couple different cheeses.
But, this brings up another variation. I recall hearing Graham Kerr talk
about one of his favorite dishes back in his good ol' fat laden early days.
I didn't get the whole thing, but I recall it was some sort of toasted bread
dish with a tomato. I can't recall if it included cheese or cream or both.
Ring a bell?

nb
notbob

On 2004-09-17, Charles Gifford > wrote:

> Ah, that is different. And after I went to the trouble of making a
> comparison. <sigh> Your new example is a good one too, except you gotta add
> a LOT more cheese! ----- and no garlic.

Yeah, I've tried it a couple different ways with a couple different cheeses.
But, this brings up another variation. I recall hearing Graham Kerr talk
about one of his favorite dishes back in his good ol' fat laden early days.
I didn't get the whole thing, but I recall it was some sort of toasted bread
dish with a tomato. I can't recall if it included cheese or cream or both.
Ring a bell?

nb
Arri London

Charles Gifford wrote:
> <snippage>
>
> Toasted cheese as found in the O'Brian cannon are a direct relation to
> cheese rabbits. While a cheese rabbit can't be closely related to a "toasted
> cheese sandwich", a serving of toasted cheese might be. However, I think our
> modern toasted cheese sandwich is a derivative of the traditional English
> cheese and pickle sandwich with the method realized with the cultural memory
> of toasted cheese.
>
> Charlie

The only thing is that cheese and pickle sandwiches normally aren't
toasted and never really generally have been. There's always someone who
will put on in a sandwich toaster of course
Hot toasted cheese is still common enough in England as a snack or late
supper. No one would confuse it with a cheese and pickle sandwich or
expect the one when the other had been requested.

Arri London

Charles Gifford wrote:
> <snippage>
>
> Toasted cheese as found in the O'Brian cannon are a direct relation to
> cheese rabbits. While a cheese rabbit can't be closely related to a "toasted
> cheese sandwich", a serving of toasted cheese might be. However, I think our
> modern toasted cheese sandwich is a derivative of the traditional English
> cheese and pickle sandwich with the method realized with the cultural memory
> of toasted cheese.
>
> Charlie

The only thing is that cheese and pickle sandwiches normally aren't
toasted and never really generally have been. There's always someone who
will put on in a sandwich toaster of course
Hot toasted cheese is still common enough in England as a snack or late
supper. No one would confuse it with a cheese and pickle sandwich or
expect the one when the other had been requested.
Charles Gifford

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Charles Gifford wrote:
> > <snippage>
> >
> > Toasted cheese as found in the O'Brian cannon are a direct relation to
> > cheese rabbits. While a cheese rabbit can't be closely related to a

"toasted
> > cheese sandwich", a serving of toasted cheese might be. However, I think

our
> > modern toasted cheese sandwich is a derivative of the traditional

English
> > cheese and pickle sandwich with the method realized with the cultural

memory
> > of toasted cheese.
> >
> > Charlie

> The only thing is that cheese and pickle sandwiches normally aren't
> toasted and never really generally have been.

That is pretty much what I said. I suggested (with tounge firmly in cheek)
that cheese and pickle sandwiches could be an ancestor of the toasted cheese
sandwich. This by inspiration from the 18th and 19th century toasted cheese
that we were originally discussing.

> There's always someone who
> will put on in a sandwich toaster of course
> Hot toasted cheese is still common enough in England as a snack or late
> supper. No one would confuse it with a cheese and pickle sandwich or
> expect the one when the other had been requested.

I imagine that *someone* would confuse it. Haven't you been paying attention
when you read this news group? <g> To make it even more complicated, a
toasted cheese/toasted cheese sandwich is delicious with pickles in it. Hee,
hee!

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Charles Gifford wrote:
> > <snippage>
> >
> > Toasted cheese as found in the O'Brian cannon are a direct relation to
> > cheese rabbits. While a cheese rabbit can't be closely related to a

"toasted
> > cheese sandwich", a serving of toasted cheese might be. However, I think

our
> > modern toasted cheese sandwich is a derivative of the traditional

English
> > cheese and pickle sandwich with the method realized with the cultural

memory
> > of toasted cheese.
> >
> > Charlie

> The only thing is that cheese and pickle sandwiches normally aren't
> toasted and never really generally have been.

That is pretty much what I said. I suggested (with tounge firmly in cheek)
that cheese and pickle sandwiches could be an ancestor of the toasted cheese
sandwich. This by inspiration from the 18th and 19th century toasted cheese
that we were originally discussing.

> There's always someone who
> will put on in a sandwich toaster of course
> Hot toasted cheese is still common enough in England as a snack or late
> supper. No one would confuse it with a cheese and pickle sandwich or
> expect the one when the other had been requested.

I imagine that *someone* would confuse it. Haven't you been paying attention
when you read this news group? <g> To make it even more complicated, a
toasted cheese/toasted cheese sandwich is delicious with pickles in it. Hee,
hee!

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2004-09-17, Charles Gifford > wrote:
>
> > Ah, that is different. And after I went to the trouble of making a
> > comparison. <sigh> Your new example is a good one too, except you gotta

add
> > a LOT more cheese! ----- and no garlic.

> Yeah, I've tried it a couple different ways with a couple different

cheeses.
> But, this brings up another variation. I recall hearing Graham Kerr talk
> about one of his favorite dishes back in his good ol' fat laden early

days.
> I didn't get the whole thing, but I recall it was some sort of toasted

bread
> dish with a tomato. I can't recall if it included cheese or cream or

both.
> Ring a bell?
>
> nb

It doesn't. I checked my copy of "The Graham Kerr Cookbook, The Galloping
Gourmet" which is, I think, his earliest cookbook. Nothing in there that
looks close. Here is one interesting recipe from this book:

CHEESE AND ANCHOVY CROSTINI

8 thin white bread slices
32 oz anchovy fillets
1/2 lb. (240grams) mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup (4 oz./120grams) clarified butter
a little oregano

METHOD OF PREPARATION

1. Slice mozzarella cheese
2. Remove crusts from bread
3. Cut each slice into 4 fingers

METHOD OF COOKERY

1. Place a thin slice of mozzarella cheese on each bread slice and top with
anchovy fillet. Add a little oregano. Sandwich with another finger of bread.

2. Heat butter in a pan and fry sandwiches on both sides until golden brown.
Serve warm

SERVING

Serve as appetizers with a white Italian Chianti (they are most thirst
provoking!)

Charles Gifford

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2004-09-17, Charles Gifford > wrote:
>
> > Ah, that is different. And after I went to the trouble of making a
> > comparison. <sigh> Your new example is a good one too, except you gotta

add
> > a LOT more cheese! ----- and no garlic.

> Yeah, I've tried it a couple different ways with a couple different

cheeses.
> But, this brings up another variation. I recall hearing Graham Kerr talk
> about one of his favorite dishes back in his good ol' fat laden early

days.
> I didn't get the whole thing, but I recall it was some sort of toasted

bread
> dish with a tomato. I can't recall if it included cheese or cream or

both.
> Ring a bell?
>
> nb

It doesn't. I checked my copy of "The Graham Kerr Cookbook, The Galloping
Gourmet" which is, I think, his earliest cookbook. Nothing in there that
looks close. Here is one interesting recipe from this book:

CHEESE AND ANCHOVY CROSTINI

8 thin white bread slices
32 oz anchovy fillets
1/2 lb. (240grams) mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup (4 oz./120grams) clarified butter
a little oregano

METHOD OF PREPARATION

1. Slice mozzarella cheese
2. Remove crusts from bread
3. Cut each slice into 4 fingers

METHOD OF COOKERY

1. Place a thin slice of mozzarella cheese on each bread slice and top with
anchovy fillet. Add a little oregano. Sandwich with another finger of bread.

2. Heat butter in a pan and fry sandwiches on both sides until golden brown.
Serve warm

SERVING

Serve as appetizers with a white Italian Chianti (they are most thirst
provoking!)

Charles Gifford

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2004-09-17, Charles Gifford > wrote:
>
> > Ah, that is different. And after I went to the trouble of making a
> > comparison. <sigh> Your new example is a good one too, except you gotta

add
> > a LOT more cheese! ----- and no garlic.

> Yeah, I've tried it a couple different ways with a couple different

cheeses.
> But, this brings up another variation. I recall hearing Graham Kerr talk
> about one of his favorite dishes back in his good ol' fat laden early

days.
> I didn't get the whole thing, but I recall it was some sort of toasted

bread
> dish with a tomato. I can't recall if it included cheese or cream or

both.
> Ring a bell?
>
> nb

It doesn't. I checked my copy of "The Graham Kerr Cookbook, The Galloping
Gourmet" which is, I think, his earliest cookbook. Nothing in there that
looks close. Here is one interesting recipe from this book:

CHEESE AND ANCHOVY CROSTINI

8 thin white bread slices
32 oz anchovy fillets
1/2 lb. (240grams) mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup (4 oz./120grams) clarified butter
a little oregano

METHOD OF PREPARATION

1. Slice mozzarella cheese
2. Remove crusts from bread
3. Cut each slice into 4 fingers

METHOD OF COOKERY

1. Place a thin slice of mozzarella cheese on each bread slice and top with
anchovy fillet. Add a little oregano. Sandwich with another finger of bread.

2. Heat butter in a pan and fry sandwiches on both sides until golden brown.
Serve warm

SERVING

Serve as appetizers with a white Italian Chianti (they are most thirst
provoking!)

notbob

On 2004-09-18, Charles Gifford > wrote:

> CHEESE AND ANCHOVY CROSTINI

Thanks for that, Charlie. Unfortunately, I have to avoid anchovies like the
plague. I'm prone to gout and anchovies are public enemy number one. It
kills me, too, as I absolutely love anchovies. Used to eat salt-packed
anchovies straight ...no pizza assist! It was probably that which
precipitated my first major gout attack. Screw that! The closest I get to
anchovies these days is nam pla and Caesar dressing.

Perhaps I'll try the recipe with a tapanade.

nb
notbob

On 2004-09-18, Charles Gifford > wrote:

> CHEESE AND ANCHOVY CROSTINI

Thanks for that, Charlie. Unfortunately, I have to avoid anchovies like the
plague. I'm prone to gout and anchovies are public enemy number one. It
kills me, too, as I absolutely love anchovies. Used to eat salt-packed
anchovies straight ...no pizza assist! It was probably that which
precipitated my first major gout attack. Screw that! The closest I get to
anchovies these days is nam pla and Caesar dressing.

Perhaps I'll try the recipe with a tapanade.

nb
notbob

On 2004-09-18, Charles Gifford > wrote:

> CHEESE AND ANCHOVY CROSTINI

Thanks for that, Charlie. Unfortunately, I have to avoid anchovies like the
plague. I'm prone to gout and anchovies are public enemy number one. It
kills me, too, as I absolutely love anchovies. Used to eat salt-packed
anchovies straight ...no pizza assist! It was probably that which
precipitated my first major gout attack. Screw that! The closest I get to
anchovies these days is nam pla and Caesar dressing.

Perhaps I'll try the recipe with a tapanade.

nb
Arri London

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > Charles Gifford wrote:
> > > <snippage>
> > >
> > > Toasted cheese as found in the O'Brian cannon are a direct relation to
> > > cheese rabbits. While a cheese rabbit can't be closely related to a

> "toasted
> > > cheese sandwich", a serving of toasted cheese might be. However, I think

> our
> > > modern toasted cheese sandwich is a derivative of the traditional

> English
> > > cheese and pickle sandwich with the method realized with the cultural

> memory
> > > of toasted cheese.
> > >
> > > Charlie

> > The only thing is that cheese and pickle sandwiches normally aren't
> > toasted and never really generally have been.

> That is pretty much what I said. I suggested (with tounge firmly in cheek)
> that cheese and pickle sandwiches could be an ancestor of the toasted cheese
> sandwich. This by inspiration from the 18th and 19th century toasted cheese
> that we were originally discussing.

LOL yes but I don't want any one to get the wrong idea that the one is
the forerunner of the other.

> > There's always someone who
> > will put on in a sandwich toaster of course
> > Hot toasted cheese is still common enough in England as a snack or late
> > supper. No one would confuse it with a cheese and pickle sandwich or
> > expect the one when the other had been requested.

> I imagine that *someone* would confuse it. Haven't you been paying attention
> when you read this news group? <g> To make it even more complicated, a
> toasted cheese/toasted cheese sandwich is delicious with pickles in it. Hee,
> hee!
>
> Charlie

Are we talking English pickle, as in a sort of chunky chutney or
cucumber pickles? The former might be acceptable in a hot
sandwich...can't imagine the latter in one

Arri London

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > Charles Gifford wrote:
> > > <snippage>
> > >
> > > Toasted cheese as found in the O'Brian cannon are a direct relation to
> > > cheese rabbits. While a cheese rabbit can't be closely related to a

> "toasted
> > > cheese sandwich", a serving of toasted cheese might be. However, I think

> our
> > > modern toasted cheese sandwich is a derivative of the traditional

> English
> > > cheese and pickle sandwich with the method realized with the cultural

> memory
> > > of toasted cheese.
> > >
> > > Charlie

> > The only thing is that cheese and pickle sandwiches normally aren't
> > toasted and never really generally have been.

> That is pretty much what I said. I suggested (with tounge firmly in cheek)
> that cheese and pickle sandwiches could be an ancestor of the toasted cheese
> sandwich. This by inspiration from the 18th and 19th century toasted cheese
> that we were originally discussing.

LOL yes but I don't want any one to get the wrong idea that the one is
the forerunner of the other.

> > There's always someone who
> > will put on in a sandwich toaster of course
> > Hot toasted cheese is still common enough in England as a snack or late
> > supper. No one would confuse it with a cheese and pickle sandwich or
> > expect the one when the other had been requested.

> I imagine that *someone* would confuse it. Haven't you been paying attention
> when you read this news group? <g> To make it even more complicated, a
> toasted cheese/toasted cheese sandwich is delicious with pickles in it. Hee,
> hee!
>
> Charlie

Are we talking English pickle, as in a sort of chunky chutney or
cucumber pickles? The former might be acceptable in a hot
sandwich...can't imagine the latter in one
Charles Gifford

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Charles Gifford wrote:
> >
> > That is pretty much what I said. I suggested (with tounge firmly in

cheek)
> > that cheese and pickle sandwiches could be an ancestor of the toasted

cheese
> > sandwich. This by inspiration from the 18th and 19th century toasted

cheese
> > that we were originally discussing.

> LOL yes but I don't want any one to get the wrong idea that the one is
> the forerunner of the other.

Yep. I could have stated it a little *more* outrageously. Hee, hee!

> > To make it even more complicated, a
> > toasted cheese/toasted cheese sandwich is delicious with pickles in it.

> Are we talking English pickle, as in a sort of chunky chutney or
> cucumber pickles? The former might be acceptable in a hot
> sandwich...can't imagine the latter in one

In this case, I was talking about little cucumber pickles.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Charles Gifford wrote:
> >
> > That is pretty much what I said. I suggested (with tounge firmly in

cheek)
> > that cheese and pickle sandwiches could be an ancestor of the toasted

cheese
> > sandwich. This by inspiration from the 18th and 19th century toasted

cheese
> > that we were originally discussing.

> LOL yes but I don't want any one to get the wrong idea that the one is
> the forerunner of the other.

Yep. I could have stated it a little *more* outrageously. Hee, hee!

> > To make it even more complicated, a
> > toasted cheese/toasted cheese sandwich is delicious with pickles in it.

> Are we talking English pickle, as in a sort of chunky chutney or
> cucumber pickles? The former might be acceptable in a hot
> sandwich...can't imagine the latter in one

In this case, I was talking about little cucumber pickles.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2004-09-18, Charles Gifford > wrote:
>
> > CHEESE AND ANCHOVY CROSTINI

> Thanks for that, Charlie. Unfortunately, I have to avoid anchovies like

the
> plague. I'm prone to gout and anchovies are public enemy number one. It
> kills me, too, as I absolutely love anchovies. Used to eat salt-packed
> anchovies straight ...no pizza assist! It was probably that which
> precipitated my first major gout attack. Screw that! The closest I get

> anchovies these days is nam pla and Caesar dressing.
>
> Perhaps I'll try the recipe with a tapanade.
>
> nb

I'm sorry to hear about your anchovy problem. That's a PITA. I think the
tapanade would be great. I may try that too.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2004-09-18, Charles Gifford > wrote:
>
> > CHEESE AND ANCHOVY CROSTINI

> Thanks for that, Charlie. Unfortunately, I have to avoid anchovies like

the
> plague. I'm prone to gout and anchovies are public enemy number one. It
> kills me, too, as I absolutely love anchovies. Used to eat salt-packed
> anchovies straight ...no pizza assist! It was probably that which
> precipitated my first major gout attack. Screw that! The closest I get

> anchovies these days is nam pla and Caesar dressing.
>
> Perhaps I'll try the recipe with a tapanade.
>
> nb

I'm sorry to hear about your anchovy problem. That's a PITA. I think the
tapanade would be great. I may try that too.

Charlie

Arri London

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > Charles Gifford wrote:
> > >
> > > That is pretty much what I said. I suggested (with tounge firmly in

> cheek)
> > > that cheese and pickle sandwiches could be an ancestor of the toasted

> cheese
> > > sandwich. This by inspiration from the 18th and 19th century toasted

> cheese
> > > that we were originally discussing.

> > LOL yes but I don't want any one to get the wrong idea that the one is
> > the forerunner of the other.

> Yep. I could have stated it a little *more* outrageously. Hee, hee!
>
> > > To make it even more complicated, a
> > > toasted cheese/toasted cheese sandwich is delicious with pickles in it.

> > Are we talking English pickle, as in a sort of chunky chutney or
> > cucumber pickles? The former might be acceptable in a hot
> > sandwich...can't imagine the latter in one

> In this case, I was talking about little cucumber pickles.
>
> Charlie

Hmmm might see my way to trying that, but it doesn't sound tempting.
Arri London

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > Charles Gifford wrote:
> > >
> > > That is pretty much what I said. I suggested (with tounge firmly in

> cheek)
> > > that cheese and pickle sandwiches could be an ancestor of the toasted

> cheese
> > > sandwich. This by inspiration from the 18th and 19th century toasted

> cheese
> > > that we were originally discussing.

> > LOL yes but I don't want any one to get the wrong idea that the one is
> > the forerunner of the other.

> Yep. I could have stated it a little *more* outrageously. Hee, hee!
>
> > > To make it even more complicated, a
> > > toasted cheese/toasted cheese sandwich is delicious with pickles in it.

> > Are we talking English pickle, as in a sort of chunky chutney or
> > cucumber pickles? The former might be acceptable in a hot
> > sandwich...can't imagine the latter in one

> In this case, I was talking about little cucumber pickles.
>
> Charlie

Hmmm might see my way to trying that, but it doesn't sound tempting.
Arri London

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > Charles Gifford wrote:
> > >
> > > That is pretty much what I said. I suggested (with tounge firmly in

> cheek)
> > > that cheese and pickle sandwiches could be an ancestor of the toasted

> cheese
> > > sandwich. This by inspiration from the 18th and 19th century toasted

> cheese
> > > that we were originally discussing.

> > LOL yes but I don't want any one to get the wrong idea that the one is
> > the forerunner of the other.

> Yep. I could have stated it a little *more* outrageously. Hee, hee!
>
> > > To make it even more complicated, a
> > > toasted cheese/toasted cheese sandwich is delicious with pickles in it.

> > Are we talking English pickle, as in a sort of chunky chutney or
> > cucumber pickles? The former might be acceptable in a hot
> > sandwich...can't imagine the latter in one

> In this case, I was talking about little cucumber pickles.
>
> Charlie

Hmmm might see my way to trying that, but it doesn't sound tempting.
limey

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Charles Gifford wrote:

> > cheek)

toasted
> > cheese

> > cheese
> > >
> > > LOL yes but I don't want any one to get the wrong idea that the one is
> > > the forerunner of the other.

> > Yep. I could have stated it a little *more* outrageously. Hee, hee!

it.

> > > Are we talking English pickle, as in a sort of chunky chutney or
> > > cucumber pickles? The former might be acceptable in a hot
> > > sandwich...can't imagine the latter in one

> > In this case, I was talking about little cucumber pickles.
> >
> > Charlie

> Hmmm might see my way to trying that, but it doesn't sound tempting.

Gherkins, Charlie? Chopped up? My faves. I also crave farm fare - chunk
of homemade bread, farm-churned butter, Cheddar cheese and pickled onions.

Dora

limey

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Charles Gifford wrote:

> > cheek)

toasted
> > cheese

> > cheese
> > >
> > > LOL yes but I don't want any one to get the wrong idea that the one is
> > > the forerunner of the other.

> > Yep. I could have stated it a little *more* outrageously. Hee, hee!

it.

> > > Are we talking English pickle, as in a sort of chunky chutney or
> > > cucumber pickles? The former might be acceptable in a hot
> > > sandwich...can't imagine the latter in one

> > In this case, I was talking about little cucumber pickles.
> >
> > Charlie

> Hmmm might see my way to trying that, but it doesn't sound tempting.

Gherkins, Charlie? Chopped up? My faves. I also crave farm fare - chunk
of homemade bread, farm-churned butter, Cheddar cheese and pickled onions.

Dora

Charles Gifford

"limey" > wrote in message

> Gherkins, Charlie? Chopped up? My faves. I also crave farm fare - chunk
> of homemade bread, farm-churned butter, Cheddar cheese and pickled onions.
>
> Dora

Yep. Gherkins. I don't chop them though Dora. I slice them. I also approve
of your idea of farm fare! Yummy! Cheddar is good for this kind of lunch but
my favorite is farmhouse Wensledale and all washed down with a pint or two
of Yorkshire bitter. Oh, and I'd like a big pile of Branston pickle too. Oh
Lordy I'm hungry!

Charlie

limey

"Charles Gifford" wrote in message >
> "limey" wrote in message
> >

> > Gherkins, Charlie? Chopped up? My faves. I also crave farm fare -

chunk
> > of homemade bread, farm-churned butter, Cheddar cheese and pickled

onions.

> > Dora

> Yep. Gherkins. I don't chop them though Dora. I slice them. I also approve
> of your idea of farm fare! Yummy! Cheddar is good for this kind of lunch

but
> my favorite is farmhouse Wensledale and all washed down with a pint or two
> of Yorkshire bitter. Oh, and I'd like a big pile of Branston pickle too.

Oh
> Lordy I'm hungry!
>
> Charlie

Stop, stop, stop! Here it is, almost lunch time.;-(

Dora

limey