Tom Royer

Default Canned Goods

The recent thread on "all can recipes" got me to thinking.

Certain canned items, vegetables in particular, I find useful
and some have no redeeming value that I can see. For
example:

Canned tomatoes: good for sauces, especially when
the only real tomatoes you can get bear a strong
resemblance to plastic tennis balls.

Canned stewed tomatoes: Actually pretty good.

Canned mushrooms: OK for things like omelets, once
you rinse off the disgusting brine.

Canned sauerkraut: Not as good as bagged or jarred,
OK.

Canned corn: Not like fresh, but OK (again, when
drained and rinsed).

Canned potatoes: They can be used to make better
than passable home fries (again, when drained)

The are some others, too. But the one canned
vegetable product that I can find no redeeming value for
is canned asparagus. Ugh! Does anyone even eat
that stuff? (and I like fresh and frozen asparagus).

--
Tom Royer
Lead Engineer, Software Test

"If you're not free to fail, you're not free." --Gene Burns

ConnieG999

Tom Royer > writes:

>Ugh! Does anyone even eat
>that stuff? (and I like fresh and frozen asparagus).

Well, yeah, I use it when it's an ingredient in a recipe, from omelette filling
to soup.

And I disagree with you on canned potatoes. Never found a canned potato that
didn't have a strange chemical taste.

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

Tom Royer > wrote:
> Canned potatoes: They can be used to make better
> than passable home fries (again, when drained)

Which is what I made for breakfast today.
The homefries came out delicious.

Darryl L. Pierce

Tom Royer wrote:

> Canned potatoes: They can be used to make better
> than passable home fries (again, when drained)

I really like canned new potatoes. Last night we have tenderloin for dinner
with stuffing (not my idea, my wife wanted it), new potatoes and green
beans. I ended up eat all but the one each my wife and two sons had of the
potatoes.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
Jean B.

Tom Royer wrote:

> The recent thread on "all can recipes" got me to thinking.
>
> Certain canned items, vegetables in particular, I find useful
> and some have no redeeming value that I can see. For
> example:
>
> Canned tomatoes: good for sauces, especially when
> the only real tomatoes you can get bear a strong
> resemblance to plastic tennis balls.
>
> Canned stewed tomatoes: Actually pretty good.
>
> Canned mushrooms: OK for things like omelets, once
> you rinse off the disgusting brine.
>
> Canned sauerkraut: Not as good as bagged or jarred,
> OK.
>
> Canned corn: Not like fresh, but OK (again, when
> drained and rinsed).
>
> Canned potatoes: They can be used to make better
> than passable home fries (again, when drained)
>
> The are some others, too. But the one canned
> vegetable product that I can find no redeeming value for
> is canned asparagus. Ugh! Does anyone even eat
> that stuff? (and I like fresh and frozen asparagus).

Well, canned potatoes have always tasted a bit odd to me, and the
texture is suboptimal--unless things have changed in the many
years since I consumed them.

My mom occasionally would serve canned asparagus with French
Dressing--the bottled kind. That was okay. You have to think of
it as something other than asparagus though. No comparisons.

Canned corn and tomato products are useful, especially when they
are not in season.

I don't like canned mushrooms much, although I did use some to
augment a soup when I was sick recently. I still have no desire
to buy more.

Ah... How about canned beans (meaning legumes, not the grren
ones)? They can be very useful.

Canned beets can also be useful.

--
Jean B., ca 12 miles west of Boston

Jeff Bienstadt

Jean B. wrote:

..
..
..

> Canned beets can also be useful.

Indeed. They make wonderful projectiles.

---jkb

--
"Thank you, come again. Smithers, release the hounds."
-- Montgomery Burns

DRB

"Tom Royer" > wrote in message
> The recent thread on "all can recipes" got me to thinking.
> > The are some others, too. But the one canned

> vegetable product that I can find no redeeming value for
> is canned asparagus. Ugh! Does anyone even eat
> that stuff? (and I like fresh and frozen asparagus).

Asparagus casserole. It's a recipie that my mom and grandma make, that I
like, but it's basically a processed food casserole. It might be better with
fresh indredients, but then it wouldn't taste like mom's and grandma's, and
for me, the dish is a comfort food, so I make it with the appropriate
processed foods.

I'm actually not a big fan of fresh asparagus. There are a few places I'll
eat it from, but most of it I've had has been tough...Like sticks of wood...

Of canned vegetable products, I use canned tomatoes and tomato paste for
spaghetti sauce. I'll also used canned mushrooms in spaghettis sauce, but
in anything else, I don't like them and have to use fresh mushrooms. I use
canned corn for a corn casserole recipie, but if I'm just eating corn, I get
preferably fresh or if it's not in season, I get frozen. Canned carrrots
for quick glazed carrots when I need a vegetable, but am way short on time.
I'm a total freak though, and when it comes to green beans, I only eat
canned. They're the only ones I've ever liked to eat my entire life from
the time I was first introudced to green beans as a young toddler to now at
age 24. My mom tried introducing my sister and I to fresh green beans
multiple times, but no luck. For me to eat green beans, they have to be
canned and then cooked in an iron skillet with either a few strips of bacon
or bacon grease. Probably defeats the purpose of green beans, but hey... I
figure we're all allowed a few disgusting foods.

I do use canned chicken broth and canned soups quite a bit for casseroles,
etc.

The only canned meats I'll use are canned tuna fish and salmon (for salmon
patties).

Kajikit

DRB saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all about
it on Sat, 10 Jan 2004 02:09:32 GMT:

>I'm a total freak though, and when it comes to green beans, I only eat
>canned. They're the only ones I've ever liked to eat my entire life from
>the time I was first introudced to green beans as a young toddler to now at
>age 24. My mom tried introducing my sister and I to fresh green beans
>multiple times, but no luck. For me to eat green beans, they have to be
>canned and then cooked in an iron skillet with either a few strips of bacon
>or bacon grease. Probably defeats the purpose of green beans, but hey... I
>figure we're all allowed a few disgusting foods.

Fresh beans are HORRIBLE! Canned ones are pretty disgusting too - the
only kind of green beans I'll eat are the frozen ones, if they're
well-cooked. I HATE CRISPY BEANS! lol

The major canned vegetables we use are tomatoes (by the ton),
sweetcorn (also by the ton), water chestnuts (good because they stay
crispy whatever you do to them!), mixed bean salad (I used it in
chilli), and beetroot.

Canned potatoes have a weird taste and they're sort of rubbery... I
used to love canned mushrooms but they taste nothing remotely
whatsoever like the fresh ones and I hate them now. I can only
remember trying canned carrots once and they were soggy and rubbery at
the same time. Ugh.

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Gtwy4cb

> find no redeeming value for
>is canned asparagu

Canned spinach, green peas, carrots and string beans--YUCK!!!
Katra

In article >, Tom Royer >
wrote:

> The recent thread on "all can recipes" got me to thinking.
>
> Certain canned items, vegetables in particular, I find useful
> and some have no redeeming value that I can see. For
> example:
>
> Canned tomatoes: good for sauces, especially when
> the only real tomatoes you can get bear a strong
> resemblance to plastic tennis balls.
>
> Canned stewed tomatoes: Actually pretty good.
>
> Canned mushrooms: OK for things like omelets, once
> you rinse off the disgusting brine.
>
> Canned sauerkraut: Not as good as bagged or jarred,
> OK.
>
> Canned corn: Not like fresh, but OK (again, when
> drained and rinsed).
>
> Canned potatoes: They can be used to make better
> than passable home fries (again, when drained)
>
> The are some others, too. But the one canned
> vegetable product that I can find no redeeming value for
> is canned asparagus. Ugh! Does anyone even eat
> that stuff? (and I like fresh and frozen asparagus).
>
> --
> Tom Royer

I'm not a fan of canned asparagus either.
It's either fresh or nothing...

But, seriously, DO look for the "no salt added" canned veggies.
They are commonly available in Spinach, Corn, Peas and String beans.

They are fantastic. Better than frozen IMHO. The corn especially tastes
very fresh.

It's the high salt content of "regular" canned goods that makes them
into mush!!! And hard on your health as well.

Now if I could just find a salt free canned 'shroom...... :-)

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Katra

In article > ,
"DRB" > wrote:

> "Tom Royer" > wrote in message
> > The recent thread on "all can recipes" got me to thinking.
> > > The are some others, too. But the one canned

> > vegetable product that I can find no redeeming value for
> > is canned asparagus. Ugh! Does anyone even eat
> > that stuff? (and I like fresh and frozen asparagus).

> Asparagus casserole. It's a recipie that my mom and grandma make, that I
> like, but it's basically a processed food casserole. It might be better with
> fresh indredients, but then it wouldn't taste like mom's and grandma's, and
> for me, the dish is a comfort food, so I make it with the appropriate
> processed foods.

I'll use it in omlets, Quiches and frittatas, but that's about it.

> I'm actually not a big fan of fresh asparagus. There are a few places I'll
> eat it from, but most of it I've had has been tough...Like sticks of wood...

Sombody did NOT prepare it right! The lower part of the stem will be
tough, so fresh asparagus needs to be "snapped". It will break at the
point between where it is tender and where it is woody.

I gather the tough part of the stems in a bag in the freezer until I
have enough for soup, then run it thru the china cap.

I steam or stir fry (or grill) the tender upper part and usually serve
with lemon butter.

> Of canned vegetable products, I use canned tomatoes and tomato paste for
> spaghetti sauce. I'll also used canned mushrooms in spaghettis sauce, but
> in anything else, I don't like them and have to use fresh mushrooms.

I also prefer fresh mushrooms. Canned tend to be tough, with the notable
exception of canned straw mushrooms. They are delightfully tender.

> I use
> canned corn for a corn casserole recipie, but if I'm just eating corn, I get
> preferably fresh or if it's not in season, I get frozen.

Try the "No salt added" canned corn. I dare you. :-)
You will be in for a pleasant surprise. I know that I was!

> Canned carrrots
> for quick glazed carrots when I need a vegetable, but am way short on time.

That is what microwaves and a corningware dish are for.
I usually buy the "baby" carrots (that I know are fake) but I like them,
and give them a quick steam in the 'wave prior to adding them to
recipes, or just serving them as a side dish, nuked with butter and
lemon pepper. Maybe a dash of dill.

> I'm a total freak though, and when it comes to green beans, I only eat
> canned. They're the only ones I've ever liked to eat my entire life from
> the time I was first introudced to green beans as a young toddler to now at
> age 24. My mom tried introducing my sister and I to fresh green beans
> multiple times, but no luck. For me to eat green beans, they have to be
> canned and then cooked in an iron skillet with either a few strips of bacon
> or bacon grease. Probably defeats the purpose of green beans, but hey... I
> figure we're all allowed a few disgusting foods.

Again, try the "no salt added" ones.

But, fresh string beans sauteed WHOLE in the cast iron skillet with
butter and evoo are just to DIE for! Oh, and a sprinkling of sesame
seeds. :-) Once they begin to sear a bit, I'll cover the pan and add a
bit of water for final cooking/steaming to soften them a bit.

> I do use canned chicken broth and canned soups quite a bit for casseroles,
> etc.

I do too, or bullion cubes and have already been picked on for that. <G>
Knorrs bullion cubes are fab' for rice. But a bit high in salt so I
don't do it very often.

> The only canned meats I'll use are canned tuna fish and salmon (for salmon
> patties).

What? No canned shrimps or crabs for dips? :-)

Add to sour cream with a dash of garlic and onion powder, and some salt
free lemon pepper. :-)

Serve with chips.

I also like the canned fish steaks and sardines on crackers with some
fresh dill and mayo.

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

sd

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:

> The major canned vegetables we use are tomatoes (by the ton),
> sweetcorn (also by the ton), water chestnuts (good because they stay
> crispy whatever you do to them!), mixed bean salad (I used it in
> chilli), and beetroot.

After having tried fresh water chestnuts, I have never purchased another
can of them. There's no comparison, IMHO.

sd
Dee Randall

I tried using the canned asparagus mixing it in a VitaMix with some cream,
milk and some other ingredients making an asparagus soup -- YUK!

Dee

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article >, Tom Royer >
> wrote:
>
> > The recent thread on "all can recipes" got me to thinking.
> >
> > Certain canned items, vegetables in particular, I find useful
> > and some have no redeeming value that I can see. For
> > example:
> >
> > Canned tomatoes: good for sauces, especially when
> > the only real tomatoes you can get bear a strong
> > resemblance to plastic tennis balls.
> >
> > Canned stewed tomatoes: Actually pretty good.
> >
> > Canned mushrooms: OK for things like omelets, once
> > you rinse off the disgusting brine.
> >
> > Canned sauerkraut: Not as good as bagged or jarred,
> > OK.
> >
> > Canned corn: Not like fresh, but OK (again, when
> > drained and rinsed).
> >
> > Canned potatoes: They can be used to make better
> > than passable home fries (again, when drained)
> >
> > The are some others, too. But the one canned
> > vegetable product that I can find no redeeming value for
> > is canned asparagus. Ugh! Does anyone even eat
> > that stuff? (and I like fresh and frozen asparagus).
> >
> > --
> > Tom Royer

> I'm not a fan of canned asparagus either.
> It's either fresh or nothing...
>
> But, seriously, DO look for the "no salt added" canned veggies.
> They are commonly available in Spinach, Corn, Peas and String beans.
>
> They are fantastic. Better than frozen IMHO. The corn especially tastes
> very fresh.
>
> It's the high salt content of "regular" canned goods that makes them
> into mush!!! And hard on your health as well.
>
> Now if I could just find a salt free canned 'shroom...... :-)
>
> K.
>
> --
> >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Dee Randall

I don't mind canned collards. They still have some crunch.
dee

"Gtwy4cb" > wrote in message
> > find no redeeming value for
> >is canned asparagu

> Canned spinach, green peas, carrots and string beans--YUCK!!!

Dee Randall

"Jeff Bienstadt" > wrote in message
> Jean B. wrote:
>
> .
> .
> .
> >
> > Canned beets can also be useful.
> >

> Indeed. They make wonderful projectiles.
>
> ---jkb
>
> --
> "Thank you, come again. Smithers, release the hounds."
> -- Montgomery Burns

Sometimes I use canned artichokes (although I'm not too fond of doing so),
and for Chinese food: canned water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and the babiest
of corns.

Dee

Dave Smith

Tom Royer wrote:

> The recent thread on "all can recipes" got me to thinking.
>
> Certain canned items, vegetables in particular, I find useful
> and some have no redeeming value that I can see. For
> example:
>
> Canned tomatoes: good for sauces, especially when
> the only real tomatoes you can get bear a strong
> resemblance to plastic tennis balls.
>
> Canned stewed tomatoes: Actually pretty good.
>
> Canned mushrooms: OK for things like omelets, once
> you rinse off the disgusting brine.
>
> Canned sauerkraut: Not as good as bagged or jarred,
> OK.
>
> Canned corn: Not like fresh, but OK (again, when
> drained and rinsed).
>
> Canned potatoes: They can be used to make better
> than passable home fries (again, when drained)
>
> The are some others, too. But the one canned
> vegetable product that I can find no redeeming value for
> is canned asparagus. Ugh! Does anyone even eat
> that stuff? (and I like fresh and frozen asparagus).

Canned potatoes make nice little roasted potatoes. I confess to liking
canned peas. They taste a little more like fresh peas that the frozen
peas.

Rhonda Anderson

Tom Royer > wrote in :

> The recent thread on "all can recipes" got me to thinking.
>
> Certain canned items, vegetables in particular, I find useful
> and some have no redeeming value that I can see. For
> example:
>
> Canned tomatoes: good for sauces, especially when
> the only real tomatoes you can get bear a strong
> resemblance to plastic tennis balls.
>
> Canned stewed tomatoes: Actually pretty good.
>
> Canned mushrooms: OK for things like omelets, once
> you rinse off the disgusting brine.
>
> Canned sauerkraut: Not as good as bagged or jarred,
> OK.
>
> Canned corn: Not like fresh, but OK (again, when
> drained and rinsed).
>
> Canned potatoes: They can be used to make better
> than passable home fries (again, when drained)

I've never had canned potatoes, so I can't comment on that. Never seen a
need to buy them.

I do use

canned tomatoes - whole and crushed - these are handy for casseroles,
stews, sauces etc. I love stewed tomatoes on toast, but if I'm out of
tomatoes or the ones in the store are not very nice, I'll heat up some
canned tomatoes with some basil and have them on toast.

canned corn - useful for corn fritters

canned fish - tuna, salmon, sardines etc.

canned beans - kidney, borlotti etc. for when I have not thought ahead to
soak dried ones.

canned beetroot (pickled) - although the most recent beetroot I bought
was actually in a jar, mini baby beets.

I usually also have some small cans of baked beans & spaghetti in the
pantry.

> The are some others, too. But the one canned
> vegetable product that I can find no redeeming value for
> is canned asparagus. Ugh! Does anyone even eat
> that stuff? (and I like fresh and frozen asparagus).

I've never had canned asparagus, but I've had asparagus in a jar. The
last lot I tried (at Christmas dinner) was marinated in balsamic vinegar
and something else. It's OK - but it is something completely different to
having freshly cooked asparagus. Much the same as beetroot from a can is
different to eating freshly cooked beetroot, and pickled onions can't
replace fresh ones.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Lynn Gifford

Canned peas should be against the Geneva Convention.

Lynn from Fargo
Favorite Vegetable - Parsnips
No Kidding!
Wayne Boatwright

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

> Canned potatoes make nice little roasted potatoes.

They're a great emergency item, and they really are good cooked with a
roast.

> I confess to liking canned peas. They taste a little more like fresh
> peas that the frozen peas.

I like canned, frozen, and fresy peas, but surely you jest...canned peas
aren't even remotely like fresh peas.

Charles Gifford

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> I tried using the canned asparagus mixing it in a VitaMix with some cream,
> milk and some other ingredients making an asparagus soup -- YUK!
>
> Dee

This one is better with fresh, but is just fine with canned asparagus.

Charlie

CREAM OF LEEK AND ASPARAGUS SOUP

Source: Bon Appetit, November 1984

1.5 quarts rich chicken stock
1 small baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 lb. fresh asparagus, trimmed (or 1 lb. canned, drained), cut into 1-inch
pieces
2 medium leeks, white and 2-inches of green, sliced and cleaned
1 cup whipping cream
salt and freshly ground white pepper
toasted sliced almonds

Combine stock and potato in heavy, medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until potato is tender, 20 minutes. Add fresh
asparagus (canned goes in later) and leeks. Simmer until tender, stirring
occasionally, about 20 minutes. Purée in blender or processor (adding canned
asparagus if using). Strain back into clean saucepan. Add cream and bring to
simmer, stirring constantly. Season with salt and white pepper. Ladle soup
into bowls. Garnish with toasted almonds and serve.

Rick & Cyndi

"Lynn Gifford" > wrote in message
m...
: Canned peas should be against the Geneva Convention.
:
: Lynn from Fargo
: Favorite Vegetable - Parsnips
: No Kidding!
========

Yep. We're a frozen pea family here...

I roasted some parsnips in my clay cooker on Friday. Major
Yummmmm!

Cyndi

Harvey R. Stone

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> > The are some others, too. But the one canned
> > vegetable product that I can find no redeeming value for
> > is canned asparagus. Ugh! Does anyone even eat
> > that stuff? (and I like fresh and frozen asparagus).

> Canned potatoes make nice little roasted potatoes. I confess to liking
> canned peas. They taste a little more like fresh peas that the frozen
> peas.

I am not making this up, my husband will only eat asparagus if it is from a
can and he covers it with mayonnaise. So for myself I roast fresh or grill
it and for him I open a can and heat it.
Phyl

Cate

Tom Royer > wrote in :

> The are some others, too. But the one canned
> vegetable product that I can find no redeeming value for
> is canned asparagus. Ugh! Does anyone even eat
> that stuff? (and I like fresh and frozen asparagus).

My mom made our family dinners mostly from cans, and so I grew up eating a
lot of canned asparagus. Or rather, being punished for not eating it. Never
could stomach the stuff, and it kept me from trying fresh asparagus until I
was in my late twenties. I was surprised to find I really like it.

Don't get me started on how late in life I tasted mashed potatoes from
scratch vs. the Hungry Jack instant flakes I was raised on.

It's probably because of that canned dinner childhood that I don't buy
anything in cans except tomatoes and chicken broth (for risotto). About
once a year I'll buy some canned soup on a whim, but I never like it.

Cate

Cate

"Harvey R. Stone" > wrote in
m:

> I am not making this up, my husband will only eat asparagus if it is
> from a can and he covers it with mayonnaise.

He must be related to my mother, who only ever served us canned asparagus
under a sizeable dollop of mayonnaise.

Cate

Peter Aitken

"Cate" > wrote in message
> Tom Royer > wrote in :
>
> > The are some others, too. But the one canned
> > vegetable product that I can find no redeeming value for
> > is canned asparagus. Ugh! Does anyone even eat
> > that stuff? (and I like fresh and frozen asparagus).

> My mom made our family dinners mostly from cans, and so I grew up eating a
> lot of canned asparagus. Or rather, being punished for not eating it.

Never
> could stomach the stuff, and it kept me from trying fresh asparagus until

> was in my late twenties. I was surprised to find I really like it.
>
> Don't get me started on how late in life I tasted mashed potatoes from
> scratch vs. the Hungry Jack instant flakes I was raised on.
>
> It's probably because of that canned dinner childhood that I don't buy
> anything in cans except tomatoes and chicken broth (for risotto). About
> once a year I'll buy some canned soup on a whim, but I never like it.

A friend of mine swears that her mother used to boil canned asparagus for 20
minutes before serving it.

--
Peter Aitken

Kate Connally

Tom Royer wrote:

> The recent thread on "all can recipes" got me to thinking.
>
> Certain canned items, vegetables in particular, I find useful
> and some have no redeeming value that I can see. For
> example:
>
> Canned tomatoes: good for sauces, especially when
> the only real tomatoes you can get bear a strong
> resemblance to plastic tennis balls.

Agreed

> Canned stewed tomatoes: Actually pretty good.

If you like stewed tomatoes in the first place.

> Canned mushrooms: OK for things like omelets, once
> you rinse off the disgusting brine.

Mushrooms are inedible in any form - canned or otherwise.

> Canned sauerkraut: Not as good as bagged or jarred,
> OK.

Nope, only bagged, jarred or fresh.

> Canned corn: Not like fresh, but OK (again, when
> drained and rinsed).

Canned corn (especially Niblets or the newer Delmonte
Specialties varieties) is great. I used to prefer
frozen but now the canned it better, much crisper
texture, more like fresh. Fresh, of course, is best
for on the cob, but too much trouble in the majority
of cases for anything where you have to cut it off the
cob. And in the winter there's no choice but canned.

> Canned potatoes: They can be used to make better
> than passable home fries (again, when drained)

Yuck!

> The are some others, too. But the one canned
> vegetable product that I can find no redeeming value for
> is canned asparagus. Ugh! Does anyone even eat
> that stuff? (and I like fresh and frozen asparagus).

Well, asparagus is right up there with mushrooms on the
inedibility scale, be it canned or fresh.

You forgot green beans. I find canned green beans to
be quite acceptable. Frozen are disgusting as the texture
changes when frozen. Fresh are best, naturally, but I
don't mind canned beans at all.

What about peas and lima beans. Inedible when canned.
Quite good when frozen and much cheaper than fresh, not
to mention a lot less work.

And you forgot brussels sprouts, which I'd like to do
as well. Part of the Inedible Vegetables Group.

Spinach is okay frozen but canned sucks.

Don't like cooked carrots so I imagine the canned
ones are just as disgusting as all the others.

Cauliflower - IVG member. Is it ever canned?

Broccoli - IVG member. Is it ever canned?

Don't recall ever seeing eggplant or zucchini/squash
canned.

There are canned sweet potatoes/yams. Just edible.
Not great.

So, now we should do canned fruits!

Kate

> --
> Tom Royer
> Lead Engineer, Software Test
> The MITRE Corporation
> 202 Burlington Road
> Bedford, MA 01730
> Voice: (781) 271-8399
> Cell: (978) 290-2086
> FAX: (781) 271-8500
>

> "If you're not free to fail, you're not free." --Gene Burns

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Lena B Katz

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Cate wrote:

> Tom Royer > wrote in :
>
> > The are some others, too. But the one canned
> > vegetable product that I can find no redeeming value for
> > is canned asparagus. Ugh! Does anyone even eat
> > that stuff? (and I like fresh and frozen asparagus).

> My mom made our family dinners mostly from cans, and so I grew up eating a
> lot of canned asparagus. Or rather, being punished for not eating it. Never
> could stomach the stuff, and it kept me from trying fresh asparagus until I
> was in my late twenties. I was surprised to find I really like it.
>
> Don't get me started on how late in life I tasted mashed potatoes from
> scratch vs. the Hungry Jack instant flakes I was raised on.
>
> It's probably because of that canned dinner childhood that I don't buy
> anything in cans except tomatoes and chicken broth (for risotto). About
> once a year I'll buy some canned soup on a whim, but I never like it.

try progresso's beefy mushroom. it has a beautiful sherry sauce.[

Lena
Katra

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:

> Tom Royer wrote:
> >
> > The recent thread on "all can recipes" got me to thinking.
> >
> > Certain canned items, vegetables in particular, I find useful
> > and some have no redeeming value that I can see. For
> > example:
> >
> > Canned tomatoes: good for sauces, especially when
> > the only real tomatoes you can get bear a strong
> > resemblance to plastic tennis balls.

> Agreed
>
> > Canned stewed tomatoes: Actually pretty good.

> If you like stewed tomatoes in the first place.
>
> > Canned mushrooms: OK for things like omelets, once
> > you rinse off the disgusting brine.

> Mushrooms are inedible in any form - canned or otherwise.
>
> > Canned sauerkraut: Not as good as bagged or jarred,
> > OK.

> Nope, only bagged, jarred or fresh.
>
> > Canned corn: Not like fresh, but OK (again, when
> > drained and rinsed).

> Canned corn (especially Niblets or the newer Delmonte
> Specialties varieties) is great. I used to prefer
> frozen but now the canned it better, much crisper
> texture, more like fresh. Fresh, of course, is best
> for on the cob, but too much trouble in the majority
> of cases for anything where you have to cut it off the
> cob. And in the winter there's no choice but canned.
>

> > Canned potatoes: They can be used to make better
> > than passable home fries (again, when drained)

> Yuck!
>
> > The are some others, too. But the one canned
> > vegetable product that I can find no redeeming value for
> > is canned asparagus. Ugh! Does anyone even eat
> > that stuff? (and I like fresh and frozen asparagus).

> Well, asparagus is right up there with mushrooms on the
> inedibility scale, be it canned or fresh.
>
> You forgot green beans. I find canned green beans to
> be quite acceptable. Frozen are disgusting as the texture
> changes when frozen. Fresh are best, naturally, but I
> don't mind canned beans at all.
>
> What about peas and lima beans. Inedible when canned.
> Quite good when frozen and much cheaper than fresh, not
> to mention a lot less work.
>
> And you forgot brussels sprouts, which I'd like to do
> as well. Part of the Inedible Vegetables Group.
>
> Spinach is okay frozen but canned sucks.
>
> Don't like cooked carrots so I imagine the canned
> ones are just as disgusting as all the others.
>
> Cauliflower - IVG member. Is it ever canned?
>
> Broccoli - IVG member. Is it ever canned?
>
> Don't recall ever seeing eggplant or zucchini/squash
> canned.
>
> There are canned sweet potatoes/yams. Just edible.
> Not great.
>
> So, now we should do canned fruits!
>
> Kate

Seriously guys, I'd like to see other opionons on the flavor and texture
difference between the "no salt added" canned vs. regular canned
veggies... Not only is it a health issue, but there is a drastic
difference!

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Cate

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in
r.com:

> A friend of mine swears that her mother used to boil canned asparagus
> for 20 minutes before serving it.

Lord. I can't remember how my mother would heat our canned asparagus. Some
things are better left unremembered.

Cate

Cate

Kate Connally > wrote in :

> So, now we should do canned fruits!

Pineapple.

Yep. That's about it.

Cate
missing my grandmother's homemade applesauce

DRB

"-L." > wrote in message
m...
> Everything else we buy fresh. And no way in hell are you ever going
> to see me eat any canned prepard meal ala Chef Boyardee and the like.
> <shudder>
>
> -L.

**Shudders also at mention of Chef Boyardee** When I was growing up, it
always baffled me why the other kids liked that spaghetti O, beef-a-roni
junk... My philosophy on food tends to be for the most part that I really
don't care what others eat--if they want to eat crap, if they want to eat
gourmet, they're the ones who are eating it, but the Chef Boyardee
line...yick...

Kajikit

sd saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all about
it on Sat, 10 Jan 2004 08:06:40 -0600:

>In article >,
> Kajikit > wrote:
>
>> The major canned vegetables we use are tomatoes (by the ton),
>> sweetcorn (also by the ton), water chestnuts (good because they stay
>> crispy whatever you do to them!), mixed bean salad (I used it in
>> chilli), and beetroot.

>After having tried fresh water chestnuts, I have never purchased another
>can of them. There's no comparison, IMHO.

Didn't you find them an incredible hassle to peel? We bought some
fresh ones once and while they tasted marvellous I didn't think it was
worth all the swearing and fiddling around involved in trying to
deshell them for use!
~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Kajikit

Katra saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all :

>Seriously guys, I'd like to see other opionons on the flavor and texture
>difference between the "no salt added" canned vs. regular canned
>veggies... Not only is it a health issue, but there is a drastic
>difference!

I've tried no-added salt tinned products and they tend to taste too
sweet and watery. I don't know if they add sugar or if they just taste
like that because they don't have the salt... we don't use a lot of
tinned foods and I never add any extra salt when using them, so they
basically put the required salt into my cooking. Without it the food
is blah...

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com

Harvey R. Stone

"DRB" > wrote in message

> "-L." > wrote in message
>

> **Shudders also at mention of Chef Boyardee** When I was growing up, it
> always baffled me why the other kids liked that spaghetti O, beef-a-roni
> junk... My philosophy on food tends to be for the most part that I really
> don't care what others eat--if they want to eat crap, if they want to eat
> gourmet, they're the ones who are eating it, but the Chef Boyardee

> line...yick...
>
> My kids loved that kind of stuff for lunch. One time we had a hurricane

and all the power was off for 4 or 5 days and we all ate Chef Boyardee
and it was awful. I couldn't believe how my kids could really like to eat
that.
Phyl

Katra

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:

> Katra saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all :
>
> >Seriously guys, I'd like to see other opionons on the flavor and texture
> >difference between the "no salt added" canned vs. regular canned
> >veggies... Not only is it a health issue, but there is a drastic
> >difference!

> I've tried no-added salt tinned products and they tend to taste too
> sweet and watery.

You mean like fresh frozen? ;-)

I prefer to add my own salt level.
I find the _texture_ to be so much better.

> I don't know if they add sugar or if they just taste
> like that because they don't have the salt...

And, like many MANY people, you may have developed a tasted for high
sodium foods. When I was forced, for health reasons, to go low sodium, I
lost my taste for salt after about two weeks and it's gotten worse
since! I cannot even eat commercial luncheon meats now, nor bacon.
Eating either one is like taking a spoonful of pure salt and putting it
in my mouth! :-P I've totally lost my tolerance for it.

And that is not a bad thing. <G>

I can actually taste my food now.

> we don't use a lot of
> tinned foods and I never add any extra salt when using them, so they
> basically put the required salt into my cooking. Without it the food
> is blah...

Read the labels for sodium content. :-)
Low sodium eating is 2,000 mg. or less per day.
The average can of canned veggies has about 1,200 mg. of sodium.

And you wonder why you swell up around "that time" of the month? :-)
Lowering dietary sodium helps that a lot.

K.

> ~Karen AKA Kajikit
>
> Nobody outstubborns a cat...
>
> Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
> Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap:

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Lena B Katz

On Tue, 12 Jan 2004, -L. wrote:

> Tom Royer > wrote in message >...
> > The recent thread on "all can recipes" got me to thinking.
> >
> > Certain canned items, vegetables in particular, I find useful
> > and some have no redeeming value that I can see

> The only canned products I buy are tomatoes (diced, pureed, whole),
> beans (pinto, kidney, white, red and navy, nothing added), baked beans
> (Bush's Onion), and chicken noodle soup for when we are sick. I
> sometimes buy the organic chicken broth (low sodium) to have on hand
> for when the dogs are sick. I buy canned tuna, but eat it only about
> twice a year.
>
> Everything else we buy fresh. And no way in hell are you ever going
> to see me eat any canned prepard meal ala Chef Boyardee and the like.
> <shudder>

judge not all canned foods by chef boyardee!

hormel's canned beef stew is pretty tasty, even if the meat is... rather
scary.

chef boyardee is vile beyond all belief.

Lena
-L.

"DRB" > wrote in message >. ..
> "-L." > wrote in message
> m...
> > Everything else we buy fresh. And no way in hell are you ever going
> > to see me eat any canned prepard meal ala Chef Boyardee and the like.
> > <shudder>
> >
> > -L.

> **Shudders also at mention of Chef Boyardee** When I was growing up, it
> always baffled me why the other kids liked that spaghetti O, beef-a-roni
> junk... My philosophy on food tends to be for the most part that I really
> don't care what others eat--if they want to eat crap, if they want to eat
> gourmet, they're the ones who are eating it, but the Chef Boyardee
> line...yick...

Interesting. I never liked it as a kid, either, but then I wasn't fed
Spaghettios until I was about 8, at a friend's house. I guess you
just learn to like what you grow up with. The commericals always made
it look so appealing. The few times I did talk my Mom into buying
something, I was sorry afterward.

-L.

Canned Goods Cindi - HappyMamatoThree General Cooking 29 13-05-2008 07:03 PM
Another reason why canned goods are bad for (my) health... Chatty Cathy General Cooking 35 24-08-2007 06:43 AM
how to transport canned goods to enter in the fair Libby Preserving 4 12-08-2007 08:54 PM
Freezing canned goods. Jack Preserving 4 05-04-2007 11:25 PM
Shelf life of canned goods . . . . . darkrats Preserving 2 06-02-2004 12:36 PM