Slowcooking a WHOLE turkey

Old 08-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Taffy Stoker
Usenet poster

Default Slowcooking a WHOLE turkey

I have a 9 pound whole turkey defrosting in the fridge and a
6 quart slowcooker I want to cook it in.

I've never done this before.

Any ideas on recipes, spices or seasonings to use?

The turkey will be cooked unstuffed btw.

Old 08-01-2004, 04:36 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

Taffy Stoker belched:

I have a 9 pound whole turkey defrosting in the fridge and a
6 quart slowcooker I want to cook it in.

I've never done this before.

Any ideas on recipes, spices or seasonings to use?

The turkey will be cooked unstuffed btw.

Aside from the fact that a 9lb bird will probably not fit (or barely fit) into
a 6qt vessel a slow cooker will require far more time than will maintain safe
parameters before reaching safe temperature... I'd recommend either cutting the
bird into small chunks or abandon your fercocktah brain fart. Don't you have a
regular oven to use or do you take some macabre pleasue in advertising your
airheadedness? Duh!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 08-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"Taffy Stoker" wrote in message
I have a 9 pound whole turkey defrosting in the fridge and a
6 quart slowcooker I want to cook it in.

I've never done this before.

Any ideas on recipes, spices or seasonings to use?

The turkey will be cooked unstuffed btw.

I think it would be too much work to reduce the turkey into pieces small
enough to fit into a 6 quart slow cooker. You will just end up with steamed
turkey which won't have much flavor. I would either roast it in the oven or
simmer it in a stock pot. If you want to reduce the cooking time, you can
cut the bird into pieces or butterfly it before oven roasting. You will have
to cut it up anyway to put it in the slow cooker. You may as well get the
benefit of the oven roasting if you are going to butcher the turkey. As for
flavor, I would brine it for a day (which you can do before or after cutting
it into pieces.)

Old 08-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Taffy Stoker
Usenet poster

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 16:08:12 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

I think it would be too much work to reduce the turkey into pieces small
enough to fit into a 6 quart slow cooker.

It is a 6 quart *oval* slow cooker if that helps any.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:30 PM
Vox Humana

wrote:

I think it would be too much work to reduce the turkey into pieces small
enough to fit into a 6 quart slow cooker.

It is a 6 quart *oval* slow cooker if that helps any.

I guess if it fits in there whole, you can give it a try. If the turkey
doesn't already have brine injected into it (look at the label) you can
brine it first. I would just rub it with some oil and sprinkle it with salt
and pepper (inside and out). I think that the issue with the bird remaining
in the danger zone between 40F and 140F for too long is a real
consideration. Turkey is cheap though. If it comes out flavorless, you can
always make turkey salad with it.

You might want to look at the Butterball website. A quick search found this
recipe for turkey breast using a slow cooker:
http://www.butterball.com/en/main_ca...ipeId=10 1111

Old 08-01-2004, 11:52 PM
r+p rosie
Usenet poster

.................... I think that the issue with the bird

remaining
in the danger zone between 40F and 140F for too long is a real
consideration.

it sure is.................................DANGER!

Old 09-01-2004, 12:26 AM
The Ranger
Usenet poster

Vox Humana wrote in message
"Whole turkey cooked in a slow cooker"
"Turkey might need to be cut into smaller piece"

It is a 6 quart *oval* slow cooker if that helps any.

[snip]

I think that the issue with the bird remaining in the danger
zone between 40F and 140F for too long is a real consideration.

Of the nine slow cooker/crockpot books I have, _six_ recommend against
cooking whole fowl (even Cornish game hens) because of safety issues
regarding temperatures.

You aren't saving anything (time, money, or product) by cooking a whole bird
in the slow cooker. Unless you _want_ to get sick, think about an
alternative cooking method.

The Ranger