Why is beef so expensive?

Old 08-01-2004, 12:46 AM
Cdonahey41
Usenet poster

Default Why is beef so expensive?

The price went way up before the mad cow problems/ Since there is lot of beef
that can no longer be exported, this should indicate the price of beef will go
down. You know greater supply, lower price kind of reasoning. I just paid
$3.29 for ground chuck recently.

Does anybody know why the price of beef has skyrocketed? I presume people have
been buying less, and would buy more if the price went down.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:57 AM
WardNA
Usenet poster

Does anybody know why the price of beef has skyrocketed?

The amount we export is less than the amount we exclude from Canada; in the
meantime, the VAST MAJORITY of consumers are not buying the mad cow scare, so
supply-and-demand still favors the domestic cattle industry.

Old 08-01-2004, 01:41 AM
Goomba38
Usenet poster

Cdonahey41 wrote:

Does anybody know why the price of beef has skyrocketed? I presume people have
been buying less, and would buy more if the price went down.

Well... every newspaper I've read recently cite it as also being because of the
increase in consumption (think Atkins)
Goomba

Old 08-01-2004, 02:10 AM
BOB
Usenet poster

Cdonahey41 typed:
The price went way up before the mad cow problems/ Since there is lot of

beef
that can no longer be exported, this should indicate the price of beef will

go
down. You know greater supply, lower price kind of reasoning. I just paid
$3.29 for ground chuck recently.

Does anybody know why the price of beef has skyrocketed? I presume people
have been buying less, and would buy more if the price went down.

Because people *continue* to pay $3.29/# for ground mystery meat?
If you pay it, they will charge that much for it.

BOB

Old 08-01-2004, 06:40 AM
Blair P. Houghton
Usenet poster

Goomba38 wrote:
Cdonahey41 wrote:

Does anybody know why the price of beef has skyrocketed? I presume

people have
been buying less, and would buy more if the price went down.

Well... every newspaper I've read recently cite it as also being because of the
increase in consumption (think Atkins)

Horseshit.

It's because thet cow producers got together and cartelled the price up.

If the Mad Cow spike didn't drop retail prices (it dropped
wholesale by 20% already), then it's a bunch of manure.

http://futures.tradingcharts.com/chart/FC/14

--Blair
"Time to start kicking some
monopolistic ass."
Old 08-01-2004, 06:55 AM
Gregory Toomey
Usenet poster

It was a dark and stormy night, and Cdonahey41 managed to scribble:

The price went way up before the mad cow problems/

In Australia the price of lamb has skyrocketed from about $3/kg to $10/kg, partly because of drought, and partly because of the collapse of the price of wool. The number of sheep has dropped from 150 million to 100 million.
But I can buy pork chops for $4/kg.

Also milk costs $1.20/litre and I can buy ice cream for $1 per litre. Go figure.

gtoomey

Old 08-01-2004, 07:03 AM
Sam D.
Usenet poster

"Cdonahey41" wrote in message
The price went way up before the mad cow problems/ Since there is lot of

beef
that can no longer be exported, this should indicate the price of beef

will go
down. You know greater supply, lower price kind of reasoning. I just

paid
$3.29 for ground chuck recently.

Does anybody know why the price of beef has skyrocketed? I presume people

have
been buying less, and would buy more if the price went down.

Your thinking is right on the money but I believe this is too early to see
any dramatic price changes from the fallout over mad cow disease,
particularly at the retail level now.

There is a lot of uncertainty over just how firm and how permanent the
import bans on U.S. beef by other countries are going to remain. If the
absence of exports results in an oversupply, beef prices could be expected
to fall. OTOH if domestic consumption of beef continues to climb, the
growing demand here could absorb a lot of the the beef supply that now goes
to foreign countries, in which case prices may not fall much.

As soon as the dust begins to settle I look for a major national advertising
campaign by the beef industry to try and boost sales.

Old 08-01-2004, 04:15 PM
Dimitri
Usenet poster

"Cdonahey41" wrote in message
The price went way up before the mad cow problems/ Since there is lot of

beef
that can no longer be exported, this should indicate the price of beef

will go
down. You know greater supply, lower price kind of reasoning. I just

paid
$3.29 for ground chuck recently.

Does anybody know why the price of beef has skyrocketed? I presume people

have
been buying less, and would buy more if the price went down.

Expensive is a relative term based upon your disposable/discretionary
income. Although prices have increased recently since we use the open market
system usually there is a supply and demand situation.

Dimitri

Old 08-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Michel Boucher
Usenet poster

"Dimitri" wrote in
. com:

Expensive is a relative term based upon your
disposable/discretionary income. Although prices have increased
recently since we use the open market system usually there is a
supply and demand situation.

Since when does the US use the open market system? The production of
most agricultural foodstuffs in the US is either subsidized or managed
and therefore benefit from unfair advantages over countries that don't
subsidize (or receive foreign aid of any sort) like Canada. That has
been a bone of contention in GATT negotiations where the US has
demanded the lowering or elimination of subsidies in other countries
while protecting its own.

--

"I'm the master of low expectations."

GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003
Old 08-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Dimitri
Usenet poster

"Michel Boucher" wrote in message
"Dimitri" wrote in
. com:

Expensive is a relative term based upon your
disposable/discretionary income. Although prices have increased
recently since we use the open market system usually there is a
supply and demand situation.

Since when does the US use the open market system? The production of
most agricultural foodstuffs in the US is either subsidized or managed
and therefore benefit from unfair advantages over countries that don't
subsidize (or receive foreign aid of any sort) like Canada. That has
been a bone of contention in GATT negotiations where the US has
demanded the lowering or elimination of subsidies in other countries
while protecting its own.

Ok let me re-define my statement - neither the US government nor the States
publish or "fix/set" prices for retail food consumption ergo the normal
supply and demand usually prevail.

You are correct however in that the US government does manage certain
commodities which is why we no longer make Life Savers in the US and why the
production has moved 100% to Canada. Do you want to send those Jobs back?

Dimitri

Old 08-01-2004, 09:21 PM
Michel Boucher
Usenet poster

"Dimitri" wrote in
om:

You are correct however in that the US government does manage
certain commodities which is why we no longer make Life Savers in
the US and why the production has moved 100% to Canada. Do you
want to send those Jobs back?

Do you want them back? Obviously, they were thought at one time to
be unsuitable for Murkins to do...are you saying that now you're
desperate, that you're interested in getting them back? :-)

The GATT/WTO has attempted to develop the concept (not entirely
successfully, nor do I agree with it) of "comparative advantage",
which is a difficult concept to nail down, but essentially it means
that certain crops or products should almost be granted as exclusive
commodities for nations that have a relatively easy time of growing
or manufacturing them. For example, one would not recognize a
comparative advantage in growing bananas to Iceland, but one would to
the island of Madeira. The problem is that economists are the ones
developing these concepts and that truly frightens the bejaysus out
of me.

I see it as a problem wherein local markets will cease to exist and
varieties of cultivars will be eliminated inorder to make the crop
easier to transport. The experiment has already failed in Italy
where a region that was famous for its fifteen varieties of green
peppers has been transformed into large tracts of lad to grow
something completely different and no one ensured the survival of the
varieties so that now they are lots (at any rate lost to consumers).

The problem with agricultural subsidies is that governments will want
them applied on the blandest of products to ensure best iunvestment
return, not the lesser known but more exciting varieties, and we are
that much the poorer or it.