Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Ken Knecht
> wrote:

> Every year in monsoon season in AZ I have salt that won't shake.
> I have to keep the shaker in the refrigerator to make it work. Is
> there anything I can put in the shaker with the salt to absorb
> the moisture?
>
> TIA

Raw rice. Several grains.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "kilikini"
> wrote:
> Here in Hawaii we have humidity year round. All the restaurants use a
> little bit of ice in their shakers. It works!
> kili

I'll bet it doesn't. "-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "kilikini"
> wrote:
> Here in Hawaii we have humidity year round. All the restaurants use a
> little bit of ice in their shakers. It works!
> kili

I'll bet it doesn't. "-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "kilikini"
> wrote:
> Here in Hawaii we have humidity year round. All the restaurants use a
> little bit of ice in their shakers. It works!
> kili

I'll bet it doesn't. "-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Levelwave©

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Nevermind... after reflecting, I "assume" that "ice" was a typo and you
> meant rice.

LOL. You figured it out for me... I was like 'what the hell, ice?'

~john

BOB

Dog3 wrote:
> "kilikini" >
> :

>>> I used to use rice before I had the central air/humidity control
>>> system put in the house but how is adding frozen water going to solve
>>> a problem caused by to high of a moisture content?
>>> I can't figure that one out.
>>>
>>> ??
>>>
>>> --
>>> Steve

>> ROFL, shoots, Steve! I can't type. LOL. Thanks for pointing that out.
>>
>> kili
>>

> I thought it was hilarious even though I figured it was a typo.
>
> Michael <- wondering if kili was into the wine before posting

Kili? Not wine...beer!

BOB

Steve Calvin

PENMART01 wrote:

>>>Well, you weren't quick enough, because I saw your apology immediately

>>after I
>>
>>>sent my response to your post... sorry.

>>Well, given that my original post was time stamped at 2:40PM and my
>>"retraction" was time stamped at 2:45 and you're reply was time
>>stamped at 2:54 I rather doubt the sincerity. But it really doesn't
>>matter to me one way or the other. No apology necessary, but
>>appreciated. I'll chock it up to slow proliferation of posts through
>>the servers.

> The time stamp means nothing... I could have replied to your post and then not
> downloaded the next batch of posts until the next day... I would not have seen
> your apology till then. But I was honest, I was busy replying to your post
> (and I type slow too) and sent it before downloading the next batch perhaps 15
> minutes later, and that's the first I saw your apology. But that matters not,
> because even had I seen your apology before sending my reply I still would have
> sent it, on the general principle that I had already took the pains to type it
> and because your apology didn't warrant my retraction, and that because you
> initially took great pride in composing your funny littly story so as to

WHAT story, this???

<My post>
I used to use rice before I had the central air/humidity control
system put in the house but how is adding frozen water going to solve
a problem caused by to high of a moisture content?
I can't figure that one out.
</My post>

Seems like a possible solution to me if I were living in Hawaii versus
a "story". <shrug>

> humiliate kili (your story was included with your previous post, go look). The
> fact that you don't read well enough to have spotted her error as a typical
> typo is no one elses responsibility. Perhaps in the future you'll be less avid
> with your replys... take the time to carefully digest what's before you, and
> stop checking the minutes.

Humiliate??? You're someone to discuss that with. As I've always said,
go to the experts. ;-)

I screwed up, shoot me.

>>Question though, why include the headers? Again, I really don't care
>>I'm just curious.

> I'm not sure what you mean.

Here's the top of your reply to my post
<Sheldons reply>
Steve Calvin
>Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:10:56 -0400

</Sheldons reply>

I really don't want to get into it with you but I will if you want to.
Seems to me as though you are the one who should read the entire
thread before going off half cocked.

BWAHHHAHHAHHHAHHAAA ;-)

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Steve Calvin

PENMART01 wrote:

>>>Well, you weren't quick enough, because I saw your apology immediately

>>after I
>>
>>>sent my response to your post... sorry.

>>Well, given that my original post was time stamped at 2:40PM and my
>>"retraction" was time stamped at 2:45 and you're reply was time
>>stamped at 2:54 I rather doubt the sincerity. But it really doesn't
>>matter to me one way or the other. No apology necessary, but
>>appreciated. I'll chock it up to slow proliferation of posts through
>>the servers.

> The time stamp means nothing... I could have replied to your post and then not
> downloaded the next batch of posts until the next day... I would not have seen
> your apology till then. But I was honest, I was busy replying to your post
> (and I type slow too) and sent it before downloading the next batch perhaps 15
> minutes later, and that's the first I saw your apology. But that matters not,
> because even had I seen your apology before sending my reply I still would have
> sent it, on the general principle that I had already took the pains to type it
> and because your apology didn't warrant my retraction, and that because you
> initially took great pride in composing your funny littly story so as to

WHAT story, this???

<My post>
I used to use rice before I had the central air/humidity control
system put in the house but how is adding frozen water going to solve
a problem caused by to high of a moisture content?
I can't figure that one out.
</My post>

Seems like a possible solution to me if I were living in Hawaii versus
a "story". <shrug>

> humiliate kili (your story was included with your previous post, go look). The
> fact that you don't read well enough to have spotted her error as a typical
> typo is no one elses responsibility. Perhaps in the future you'll be less avid
> with your replys... take the time to carefully digest what's before you, and
> stop checking the minutes.

Humiliate??? You're someone to discuss that with. As I've always said,
go to the experts. ;-)

I screwed up, shoot me.

>>Question though, why include the headers? Again, I really don't care
>>I'm just curious.

> I'm not sure what you mean.

Here's the top of your reply to my post
<Sheldons reply>
Steve Calvin
>Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:10:56 -0400

</Sheldons reply>

I really don't want to get into it with you but I will if you want to.
Seems to me as though you are the one who should read the entire
thread before going off half cocked.

BWAHHHAHHAHHHAHHAAA ;-)

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Mark Thorson

elaine wrote:

> > Is there anything I can put
> > in the shaker with the salt to absorb
> > the moisture?

> Rice

Rice is almost pure carbs.
What are you trying to do?
Kill somebody?

Mark Thorson

elaine wrote:

> > Is there anything I can put
> > in the shaker with the salt to absorb
> > the moisture?

> Rice

Rice is almost pure carbs.
What are you trying to do?
Kill somebody?

Wayne

Mark Thorson > wrote in :

> elaine wrote:
>
>> > Is there anything I can put
>> > in the shaker with the salt to absorb
>> > the moisture?

>> Rice

> Rice is almost pure carbs.
> What are you trying to do?
> Kill somebody?

Every chance I get! I sneak rice into every dish I possibly can, just
hoping someone will go into a carbvulsion.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Paul M. Cook©®

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> Every year in monsoon season in AZ I have salt that won't shake.
> I have to keep the shaker in the refrigerator to make it work. Is
> there anything I can put in the shaker with the salt to absorb
> the moisture?

I've used a pinto bean before and it worked fine. However, these days I use
a sea salt grinder. I love it!

Paul

Gregory Morrow

Steve Calvin wrote:

> PENMART01 wrote:
>
> >>Steve Calvin writes:

> >>I used to use rice before I had the central air/humidity control
> >>system put in the house but how is adding frozen water going to solve
> >>a problem caused by to high of a moisture content?
> >>
> >>I can't figure that one out.

> > Kinda like how you typed "to high of"... except kili's " ice" is

obviously a
> > typo... and yours is obviously because you don't know better. hehe
> >

> > ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> > ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> > *********
> > "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> > Sheldon
> > ````````````

> I never claimed that proper english was one of my strengths and also
> took that post "back" about two minutes later...

Heh...you have to admit that Sheldon "got" you, Steve - O...quit while yer
still behind...

--
Best
Greg <chuckle/>

David Hare-Scott

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
: Every year in monsoon season in AZ I have salt that won't shake.
: I have to keep the shaker in the refrigerator to make it work. Is
: there anything I can put in the shaker with the salt to absorb
: the moisture?
:
: TIA
:

There are all sorts of additives that don't work in highly humid conditions
in my experience. We found it so much simpler to get rid of the salt
shaker. We use a dish and spoon, it never clogs and you can use any kind of
salt you like.

David

PENMART01

>There are all sorts of additives that don't work in highly humid conditions
>in my experience. We found it so much simpler to get rid of the salt
>shaker. We use a dish and spoon, it never clogs and you can use any kind of
>salt you like.
>
>David

In the tropics why bother with salt at all... just lean over your plate and let
your salty sweat drip off your pointy beak.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>There are all sorts of additives that don't work in highly humid conditions
>in my experience. We found it so much simpler to get rid of the salt
>shaker. We use a dish and spoon, it never clogs and you can use any kind of
>salt you like.
>
>David

In the tropics why bother with salt at all... just lean over your plate and let
your salty sweat drip off your pointy beak.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Steve Calvin

Paul M. Cook=A9=AE wrote:
> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
>=20
>>Every year in monsoon season in AZ I have salt that won't shake.
>>I have to keep the shaker in the refrigerator to make it work. Is
>>there anything I can put in the shaker with the salt to absorb
>>the moisture?

>=20
>=20
>=20
> I've used a pinto bean before and it worked fine. However, these days =

I use
> a sea salt grinder. I love it!
>=20
> Paul
>=20
>=20

I use a salt grinder as well. A word of caution however. A "normal"=20
peppermill with metal insides will not work with salt, for too long=20
anyhow. The salt will corrode the metal over the course of time. Get=20
a mill that was made specifically for salt.

--=20
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Steve Calvin

Paul M. Cook=A9=AE wrote:
> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
>=20
>>Every year in monsoon season in AZ I have salt that won't shake.
>>I have to keep the shaker in the refrigerator to make it work. Is
>>there anything I can put in the shaker with the salt to absorb
>>the moisture?

>=20
>=20
>=20
> I've used a pinto bean before and it worked fine. However, these days =

I use
> a sea salt grinder. I love it!
>=20
> Paul
>=20
>=20

I use a salt grinder as well. A word of caution however. A "normal"=20
peppermill with metal insides will not work with salt, for too long=20
anyhow. The salt will corrode the metal over the course of time. Get=20
a mill that was made specifically for salt.

--=20
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Steve Calvin

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Heh...you have to admit that Sheldon "got" you, Steve - O...quit while yer
> still behind...

Can't argue with ya Greg. I must point out however that "getting me"
is not the accomplishment of a lifetime. ;-)

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Steve Calvin

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Heh...you have to admit that Sheldon "got" you, Steve - O...quit while yer
> still behind...

Can't argue with ya Greg. I must point out however that "getting me"
is not the accomplishment of a lifetime. ;-)

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Scott

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Well, given that my original post was time stamped at 2:40PM and my
> "retraction" was time stamped at 2:45 and you're reply was time
> stamped at 2:54 I rather doubt the sincerity. But it really doesn't
> matter to me one way or the other. No apology necessary, but
> appreciated. I'll chock it up to slow proliferation of posts through
> the servers.

The time stamp is when it's sent to your news server. However, it may
not reach other readers' news servers until much later--and the time
differential isn't necessarily uniform for different posts by the same
user.

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Well, given that my original post was time stamped at 2:40PM and my
> "retraction" was time stamped at 2:45 and you're reply was time
> stamped at 2:54 I rather doubt the sincerity. But it really doesn't
> matter to me one way or the other. No apology necessary, but
> appreciated. I'll chock it up to slow proliferation of posts through
> the servers.

The time stamp is when it's sent to your news server. However, it may
not reach other readers' news servers until much later--and the time
differential isn't necessarily uniform for different posts by the same
user.

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> I use a salt grinder as well. A word of caution however. A "normal"
> peppermill with metal insides will not work with salt, for too long
> anyhow. The salt will corrode the metal over the course of time. Get
> a mill that was made specifically for salt.

Do you use a salt grinder in order to break apart clumping salt? I've
otherwise never understood why people use it--just-ground salt isn't
fresher, like pepper would be.

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> I use a salt grinder as well. A word of caution however. A "normal"
> peppermill with metal insides will not work with salt, for too long
> anyhow. The salt will corrode the metal over the course of time. Get
> a mill that was made specifically for salt.

Do you use a salt grinder in order to break apart clumping salt? I've
otherwise never understood why people use it--just-ground salt isn't
fresher, like pepper would be.

please mail OT responses only

Steve Calvin

Scott wrote:

> In article >,
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>

>>Well, given that my original post was time stamped at 2:40PM and my
>>"retraction" was time stamped at 2:45 and you're reply was time
>>stamped at 2:54 I rather doubt the sincerity. But it really doesn't
>>matter to me one way or the other. No apology necessary, but
>>appreciated. I'll chock it up to slow proliferation of posts through
>>the servers.

> The time stamp is when it's sent to your news server. However, it may
> not reach other readers' news servers until much later--and the time
> differential isn't necessarily uniform for different posts by the same
> user.

I believe that I said that. See the above sentance beginning with
"I'll chock it up..."

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Steve Calvin

Scott wrote:

> In article >,
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>

>>Well, given that my original post was time stamped at 2:40PM and my
>>"retraction" was time stamped at 2:45 and you're reply was time
>>stamped at 2:54 I rather doubt the sincerity. But it really doesn't
>>matter to me one way or the other. No apology necessary, but
>>appreciated. I'll chock it up to slow proliferation of posts through
>>the servers.

> The time stamp is when it's sent to your news server. However, it may
> not reach other readers' news servers until much later--and the time
> differential isn't necessarily uniform for different posts by the same
> user.

I believe that I said that. See the above sentance beginning with
"I'll chock it up..."

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Steve Calvin

Scott wrote:

> In article >,
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>

>>Well, given that my original post was time stamped at 2:40PM and my
>>"retraction" was time stamped at 2:45 and you're reply was time
>>stamped at 2:54 I rather doubt the sincerity. But it really doesn't
>>matter to me one way or the other. No apology necessary, but
>>appreciated. I'll chock it up to slow proliferation of posts through
>>the servers.

> The time stamp is when it's sent to your news server. However, it may
> not reach other readers' news servers until much later--and the time
> differential isn't necessarily uniform for different posts by the same
> user.

I believe that I said that. See the above sentance beginning with
"I'll chock it up..."

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Steve Calvin

Scott wrote:

> In article >,
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>

>>I use a salt grinder as well. A word of caution however. A "normal"
>>peppermill with metal insides will not work with salt, for too long
>>anyhow. The salt will corrode the metal over the course of time. Get
>>a mill that was made specifically for salt.

> Do you use a salt grinder in order to break apart clumping salt? I've
> otherwise never understood why people use it--just-ground salt isn't
> fresher, like pepper would be.

No, coarse salt crystals are used in the grinders. They are one
possible alternative to the standard table salt clumping issue.

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Steve Calvin

Scott wrote:

> In article >,
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>

>>I use a salt grinder as well. A word of caution however. A "normal"
>>peppermill with metal insides will not work with salt, for too long
>>anyhow. The salt will corrode the metal over the course of time. Get
>>a mill that was made specifically for salt.

> Do you use a salt grinder in order to break apart clumping salt? I've
> otherwise never understood why people use it--just-ground salt isn't
> fresher, like pepper would be.

No, coarse salt crystals are used in the grinders. They are one
possible alternative to the standard table salt clumping issue.

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Ken Knecht

Wayne > wrote in
:

> Funny, I live in Apache Junction and have never had that
> problem.

I use a swamp cooler. Makes the situation even worse. You may use
A/C.

--
Untie the two knots to email me

"Madness is not a consequence of uncertainty, but of certainty."
Nietzche

Wayne

Ken Knecht > wrote in
:

> Wayne > wrote in
> :
>
>> Funny, I live in Apache Junction and have never had that
>> problem.
>>

> I use a swamp cooler. Makes the situation even worse. You may use
> A/C.

Well, yes, of course it would. And, yes, I do have a/c, although swamp
coolers are a terrific option here in AZ. However, a neighbor of my
grandmother in NE Mississippi was ill-advised to install a swamp cooler
in an area of such high summer humidity. After two summers of use, their
only option to rid their home of mold was removal and replacement of all
the drywall.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne

Ken Knecht > wrote in
:

> Wayne > wrote in
> :
>
>> Funny, I live in Apache Junction and have never had that
>> problem.
>>

> I use a swamp cooler. Makes the situation even worse. You may use
> A/C.

Well, yes, of course it would. And, yes, I do have a/c, although swamp
coolers are a terrific option here in AZ. However, a neighbor of my
grandmother in NE Mississippi was ill-advised to install a swamp cooler
in an area of such high summer humidity. After two summers of use, their
only option to rid their home of mold was removal and replacement of all
the drywall.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Gregory Morrow

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>

> > Heh...you have to admit that Sheldon "got" you, Steve - O...quit while

yer
> > still behind...
> >

> Can't argue with ya Greg. I must point out however that "getting me"
> is not the accomplishment of a lifetime. ;-)

;---)

--
Best
Greg

J.J. in WA

Our pal Wayne > wrote:
> Mark Thorson > wrote in :

> >> Rice

> > Rice is almost pure carbs.
> > What are you trying to do?
> > Kill somebody?

> Every chance I get! I sneak rice into every dish I possibly can, just
> hoping someone will go into a carbvulsion.

Heh! Good one, Wayne... :-)

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
J.J. in WA

Our pal Wayne > wrote:
> Mark Thorson > wrote in :

> >> Rice

> > Rice is almost pure carbs.
> > What are you trying to do?
> > Kill somebody?

> Every chance I get! I sneak rice into every dish I possibly can, just
> hoping someone will go into a carbvulsion.

Heh! Good one, Wayne... :-)

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
(COLD to HOT for e-mail)
Tess

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> Every year in monsoon season in AZ I have salt that won't shake.
> I have to keep the shaker in the refrigerator to make it work. Is
> there anything I can put in the shaker with the salt to absorb
> the moisture?

Put a wheat chex or two in your shaker : )

- Tess, who lives in the *capital* of hot and humid : )