XOR

Default Seasoning a new cast iron skillet

So we just got a Le Creuset cast iron skillet - a big score at a
nearby outlet,tons of other stuff too... Woohoo! I looked on assorted
websites to find out how best to season it,everyone says something
slightly different. Am guessing that means there's no ONE way right?
So what are YOUR best ways to season it?

I did it once, I think...using vegetable oil, 300F for a couple of
hours (that's what the clerk at the Le Creuset shop said to do). Do I
need to do it a few more times? Less time in the oven? Less heat? One
side insisted it must be allowed to cool IN the oven which I didn't do
(tho my house is hot enough it probably doesn't make much difference).
Another said ONE HOUR ONLY, another said 250F and no more. Some
insisted on shortening rather than oil.

Thoughts? Comments?

Confused...
Alan Connor

On 6 Sep 2004 14:34:54 -0700, XOR > wrote:

> So we just got a Le Creuset cast iron skillet - a big score at a
> nearby outlet,tons of other stuff too... Woohoo! I looked on assorted
> websites to find out how best to season it,everyone says something
> slightly different. Am guessing that means there's no ONE way right?
> So what are YOUR best ways to season it?
>
> I did it once, I think...using vegetable oil, 300F for a couple of
> hours (that's what the clerk at the Le Creuset shop said to do). Do I
> need to do it a few more times? Less time in the oven? Less heat? One
> side insisted it must be allowed to cool IN the oven which I didn't do
> (tho my house is hot enough it probably doesn't make much difference).
> Another said ONE HOUR ONLY, another said 250F and no more. Some
> insisted on shortening rather than oil.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?
>
> Confused...

For a new pan, I'd do it several times and heat the pan *before* applying
the veg oil.

250 is fine. As long as you stay below the burning temperature of the
veg oil, you're okay, and it's quite a bit higher than that for the
common ones.

Letting it cool slowly in the oven is a good idea.

AC
Alan Connor

On 6 Sep 2004 14:34:54 -0700, XOR > wrote:

> So we just got a Le Creuset cast iron skillet - a big score at a
> nearby outlet,tons of other stuff too... Woohoo! I looked on assorted
> websites to find out how best to season it,everyone says something
> slightly different. Am guessing that means there's no ONE way right?
> So what are YOUR best ways to season it?
>
> I did it once, I think...using vegetable oil, 300F for a couple of
> hours (that's what the clerk at the Le Creuset shop said to do). Do I
> need to do it a few more times? Less time in the oven? Less heat? One
> side insisted it must be allowed to cool IN the oven which I didn't do
> (tho my house is hot enough it probably doesn't make much difference).
> Another said ONE HOUR ONLY, another said 250F and no more. Some
> insisted on shortening rather than oil.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?
>
> Confused...

For a new pan, I'd do it several times and heat the pan *before* applying
the veg oil.

250 is fine. As long as you stay below the burning temperature of the
veg oil, you're okay, and it's quite a bit higher than that for the
common ones.

Letting it cool slowly in the oven is a good idea.

AC
AustinMN

XOR wrote:
> So we just got a Le Creuset cast iron skillet - a big score at a
> nearby outlet,tons of other stuff too... Woohoo! I looked on assorted
> websites to find out how best to season it,everyone says something
> slightly different. Am guessing that means there's no ONE way right?

There's lots of ways, but only one _right_ way, my way!

> So what are YOUR best ways to season it?
>
> I did it once, I think...using vegetable oil, 300F for a couple of
> hours (that's what the clerk at the Le Creuset shop said to do). Do I
> need to do it a few more times? Less time in the oven? Less heat? One
> side insisted it must be allowed to cool IN the oven which I didn't do
> (tho my house is hot enough it probably doesn't make much difference).
> Another said ONE HOUR ONLY, another said 250F and no more. Some
> insisted on shortening rather than oil.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

The idea is to get a coating of baked-on oil or grease. No matter how you
season the piece, it is just an initial seasoning, and a really good,
lasting seasoning only comes with use.

What I do is fairly close to what Lodge recommends. I use regular Crisco,
heat it to 350F for an hour, and let it cool in the oven for several hours.
Any variation on this will work, as long as the heat/time combination is
long enough to cause that varnish-like coating to form on your cast iron.
Using a lower temp for a longer time is OK, as is using a higher temp for a
shorter time (but see below about smoke).

There are some things to avoid.

Don't use used oil or grease, especially on the initial seasoning, because
they contain things other than oil that may cause the seasoning to go rancid
if you don't use the piece often enough.

Don't use peanut oil because it requires a very high temperature to "bake
on".

Too much heat will cause a lot of smoke. I have heard from people who
automatically expect that smoke, but using a slightly lower temperature will
yield the same results without the smoke. Of course, if some of the
grease/oil drips on to the bottom of the oven, you will get smoke regardless
of the temperature.

Two thin coatings is better than one heavy coating, and will likely last
longer.

Avoid acid foods (vinegar, tomatoes, etc.) for the first few uses after a
first seasoning because the seasoning is still somewhat soft, and the acid
can damage it.

Last but not least, after each use, make sure it is clean and dry, then give
it a very thin coating of oil or grease and add a little heat. Let it cool
before putting it away.

Austin

AustinMN

XOR wrote:
> So we just got a Le Creuset cast iron skillet - a big score at a
> nearby outlet,tons of other stuff too... Woohoo! I looked on assorted
> websites to find out how best to season it,everyone says something
> slightly different. Am guessing that means there's no ONE way right?

There's lots of ways, but only one _right_ way, my way!

> So what are YOUR best ways to season it?
>
> I did it once, I think...using vegetable oil, 300F for a couple of
> hours (that's what the clerk at the Le Creuset shop said to do). Do I
> need to do it a few more times? Less time in the oven? Less heat? One
> side insisted it must be allowed to cool IN the oven which I didn't do
> (tho my house is hot enough it probably doesn't make much difference).
> Another said ONE HOUR ONLY, another said 250F and no more. Some
> insisted on shortening rather than oil.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

The idea is to get a coating of baked-on oil or grease. No matter how you
season the piece, it is just an initial seasoning, and a really good,
lasting seasoning only comes with use.

What I do is fairly close to what Lodge recommends. I use regular Crisco,
heat it to 350F for an hour, and let it cool in the oven for several hours.
Any variation on this will work, as long as the heat/time combination is
long enough to cause that varnish-like coating to form on your cast iron.
Using a lower temp for a longer time is OK, as is using a higher temp for a
shorter time (but see below about smoke).

There are some things to avoid.

Don't use used oil or grease, especially on the initial seasoning, because
they contain things other than oil that may cause the seasoning to go rancid
if you don't use the piece often enough.

Don't use peanut oil because it requires a very high temperature to "bake
on".

Too much heat will cause a lot of smoke. I have heard from people who
automatically expect that smoke, but using a slightly lower temperature will
yield the same results without the smoke. Of course, if some of the
grease/oil drips on to the bottom of the oven, you will get smoke regardless
of the temperature.

Two thin coatings is better than one heavy coating, and will likely last
longer.

Avoid acid foods (vinegar, tomatoes, etc.) for the first few uses after a
first seasoning because the seasoning is still somewhat soft, and the acid
can damage it.

Last but not least, after each use, make sure it is clean and dry, then give
it a very thin coating of oil or grease and add a little heat. Let it cool
before putting it away.

Austin

AustinMN

XOR wrote:
> So we just got a Le Creuset cast iron skillet - a big score at a
> nearby outlet,tons of other stuff too... Woohoo! I looked on assorted
> websites to find out how best to season it,everyone says something
> slightly different. Am guessing that means there's no ONE way right?

There's lots of ways, but only one _right_ way, my way!

> So what are YOUR best ways to season it?
>
> I did it once, I think...using vegetable oil, 300F for a couple of
> hours (that's what the clerk at the Le Creuset shop said to do). Do I
> need to do it a few more times? Less time in the oven? Less heat? One
> side insisted it must be allowed to cool IN the oven which I didn't do
> (tho my house is hot enough it probably doesn't make much difference).
> Another said ONE HOUR ONLY, another said 250F and no more. Some
> insisted on shortening rather than oil.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

The idea is to get a coating of baked-on oil or grease. No matter how you
season the piece, it is just an initial seasoning, and a really good,
lasting seasoning only comes with use.

What I do is fairly close to what Lodge recommends. I use regular Crisco,
heat it to 350F for an hour, and let it cool in the oven for several hours.
Any variation on this will work, as long as the heat/time combination is
long enough to cause that varnish-like coating to form on your cast iron.
Using a lower temp for a longer time is OK, as is using a higher temp for a
shorter time (but see below about smoke).

There are some things to avoid.

Don't use used oil or grease, especially on the initial seasoning, because
they contain things other than oil that may cause the seasoning to go rancid
if you don't use the piece often enough.

Don't use peanut oil because it requires a very high temperature to "bake
on".

Too much heat will cause a lot of smoke. I have heard from people who
automatically expect that smoke, but using a slightly lower temperature will
yield the same results without the smoke. Of course, if some of the
grease/oil drips on to the bottom of the oven, you will get smoke regardless
of the temperature.

Two thin coatings is better than one heavy coating, and will likely last
longer.

Avoid acid foods (vinegar, tomatoes, etc.) for the first few uses after a
first seasoning because the seasoning is still somewhat soft, and the acid
can damage it.

Last but not least, after each use, make sure it is clean and dry, then give
it a very thin coating of oil or grease and add a little heat. Let it cool
before putting it away.

Austin

Jack Schidt®

"XOR" > wrote in message
om...
> So we just got a Le Creuset cast iron skillet - a big score at a
> nearby outlet,tons of other stuff too... Woohoo! I looked on assorted
> websites to find out how best to season it,everyone says something
> slightly different. Am guessing that means there's no ONE way right?
> So what are YOUR best ways to season it?
>
> I did it once, I think...using vegetable oil, 300F for a couple of
> hours (that's what the clerk at the Le Creuset shop said to do). Do I
> need to do it a few more times? Less time in the oven? Less heat? One
> side insisted it must be allowed to cool IN the oven which I didn't do
> (tho my house is hot enough it probably doesn't make much difference).
> Another said ONE HOUR ONLY, another said 250F and no more. Some
> insisted on shortening rather than oil.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?
>
> Confused...

Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
best, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking with
it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it. Other
than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.

Jack Ferro

Jack Schidt®

"XOR" > wrote in message
om...
> So we just got a Le Creuset cast iron skillet - a big score at a
> nearby outlet,tons of other stuff too... Woohoo! I looked on assorted
> websites to find out how best to season it,everyone says something
> slightly different. Am guessing that means there's no ONE way right?
> So what are YOUR best ways to season it?
>
> I did it once, I think...using vegetable oil, 300F for a couple of
> hours (that's what the clerk at the Le Creuset shop said to do). Do I
> need to do it a few more times? Less time in the oven? Less heat? One
> side insisted it must be allowed to cool IN the oven which I didn't do
> (tho my house is hot enough it probably doesn't make much difference).
> Another said ONE HOUR ONLY, another said 250F and no more. Some
> insisted on shortening rather than oil.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?
>
> Confused...

Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
best, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking with
it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it. Other
than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.

Jack Ferro

Jack Schidt®

"XOR" > wrote in message
om...
> So we just got a Le Creuset cast iron skillet - a big score at a
> nearby outlet,tons of other stuff too... Woohoo! I looked on assorted
> websites to find out how best to season it,everyone says something
> slightly different. Am guessing that means there's no ONE way right?
> So what are YOUR best ways to season it?
>
> I did it once, I think...using vegetable oil, 300F for a couple of
> hours (that's what the clerk at the Le Creuset shop said to do). Do I
> need to do it a few more times? Less time in the oven? Less heat? One
> side insisted it must be allowed to cool IN the oven which I didn't do
> (tho my house is hot enough it probably doesn't make much difference).
> Another said ONE HOUR ONLY, another said 250F and no more. Some
> insisted on shortening rather than oil.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?
>
> Confused...

Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
best, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking with
it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it. Other
than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.

Jack Ferro

Alan Connor

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 22:11:52 GMT, Jack Schidt® > wrote:

> "XOR" > wrote in message
> om...
>> So we just got a Le Creuset cast iron skillet - a big score at a
>> nearby outlet,tons of other stuff too... Woohoo! I looked on assorted
>> websites to find out how best to season it,everyone says something
>> slightly different. Am guessing that means there's no ONE way right?
>> So what are YOUR best ways to season it?
>>
>> I did it once, I think...using vegetable oil, 300F for a couple of
>> hours (that's what the clerk at the Le Creuset shop said to do). Do I
>> need to do it a few more times? Less time in the oven? Less heat? One
>> side insisted it must be allowed to cool IN the oven which I didn't do
>> (tho my house is hot enough it probably doesn't make much difference).
>> Another said ONE HOUR ONLY, another said 250F and no more. Some
>> insisted on shortening rather than oil.
>>
>> Thoughts? Comments?
>>
>> Confused...

> Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
> seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
> best, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking with
> it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it. Other
> than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.
>
> Jack Ferro

You're right, Jack. Any of the 'recipes' presented will work just fine.

Including your approach here.

AC

Alan Connor

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 22:11:52 GMT, Jack Schidt® > wrote:

> "XOR" > wrote in message
> om...
>> So we just got a Le Creuset cast iron skillet - a big score at a
>> nearby outlet,tons of other stuff too... Woohoo! I looked on assorted
>> websites to find out how best to season it,everyone says something
>> slightly different. Am guessing that means there's no ONE way right?
>> So what are YOUR best ways to season it?
>>
>> I did it once, I think...using vegetable oil, 300F for a couple of
>> hours (that's what the clerk at the Le Creuset shop said to do). Do I
>> need to do it a few more times? Less time in the oven? Less heat? One
>> side insisted it must be allowed to cool IN the oven which I didn't do
>> (tho my house is hot enough it probably doesn't make much difference).
>> Another said ONE HOUR ONLY, another said 250F and no more. Some
>> insisted on shortening rather than oil.
>>
>> Thoughts? Comments?
>>
>> Confused...

> Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
> seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
> best, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking with
> it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it. Other
> than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.
>
> Jack Ferro

You're right, Jack. Any of the 'recipes' presented will work just fine.

Including your approach here.

AC

Alan Connor

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 22:11:52 GMT, Jack Schidt® > wrote:

> "XOR" > wrote in message
> om...
>> So we just got a Le Creuset cast iron skillet - a big score at a
>> nearby outlet,tons of other stuff too... Woohoo! I looked on assorted
>> websites to find out how best to season it,everyone says something
>> slightly different. Am guessing that means there's no ONE way right?
>> So what are YOUR best ways to season it?
>>
>> I did it once, I think...using vegetable oil, 300F for a couple of
>> hours (that's what the clerk at the Le Creuset shop said to do). Do I
>> need to do it a few more times? Less time in the oven? Less heat? One
>> side insisted it must be allowed to cool IN the oven which I didn't do
>> (tho my house is hot enough it probably doesn't make much difference).
>> Another said ONE HOUR ONLY, another said 250F and no more. Some
>> insisted on shortening rather than oil.
>>
>> Thoughts? Comments?
>>
>> Confused...

> Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
> seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
> best, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking with
> it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it. Other
> than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.
>
> Jack Ferro

You're right, Jack. Any of the 'recipes' presented will work just fine.

Including your approach here.

AC

PENMART01

>Jack Schidt® wrote:
>>
>> Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
>> seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
>> best, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking with
>> it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it. Other
>> than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.
>>
>> Jack Ferro

Footch? I know futch.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=futch&r=f

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Jack Schidt® wrote:
>>
>> Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
>> seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
>> best, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking with
>> it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it. Other
>> than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.
>>
>> Jack Ferro

Footch? I know futch.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=futch&r=f

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Jack Schidt®

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >Jack Schidt® wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
>>> seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
>>> best, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking
>>> with
>>> it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it.
>>> Other
>>> than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.
>>>
>>> Jack Ferro

> Footch? I know futch.
>
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=futch&r=f

ell oh ell, you would know futch. Know his brother and sister?

Jack Futchfam

Jack Schidt®

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >Jack Schidt® wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
>>> seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
>>> best, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking
>>> with
>>> it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it.
>>> Other
>>> than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.
>>>
>>> Jack Ferro

> Footch? I know futch.
>
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=futch&r=f

ell oh ell, you would know futch. Know his brother and sister?

Jack Futchfam

Jack Schidt®

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >Jack Schidt® wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
>>> seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
>>> best, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking
>>> with
>>> it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it.
>>> Other
>>> than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.
>>>
>>> Jack Ferro

> Footch? I know futch.
>
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=futch&r=f

ell oh ell, you would know futch. Know his brother and sister?

Jack Futchfam

PENMART01

>"Jack Schidt®" writes:
>
>"PENMART01" wrote:
>>Jack Schidt® wrote:
>>
>>Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
>>seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
>>est, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking with
>>it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it.
>>Other than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.

>> Footch? I know futch.
>>
>> http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=futch&r=f
>>

>ell oh ell, you would know futch. Know his brother and sister?
>
>Jack Futchfam

Yoose mean Butch 'n Putch?

Card them he
http://www.urbandictionary.com

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>"Jack Schidt®" writes:
>
>"PENMART01" wrote:
>>Jack Schidt® wrote:
>>
>>Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
>>seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
>>est, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking with
>>it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it.
>>Other than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.

>> Footch? I know futch.
>>
>> http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=futch&r=f
>>

>ell oh ell, you would know futch. Know his brother and sister?
>
>Jack Futchfam

Yoose mean Butch 'n Putch?

Card them he
http://www.urbandictionary.com

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>"Jack Schidt®" writes:
>
>"PENMART01" wrote:
>>Jack Schidt® wrote:
>>
>>Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
>>seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
>>est, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking with
>>it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it.
>>Other than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.

>> Footch? I know futch.
>>
>> http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=futch&r=f
>>

>ell oh ell, you would know futch. Know his brother and sister?
>
>Jack Futchfam

Yoose mean Butch 'n Putch?

Card them he
http://www.urbandictionary.com

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Jack Schidt®

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >"Jack Schidt®" writes:
>>
>>"PENMART01" wrote:
>>>Jack Schidt® wrote:
>>>
>>>Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
>>>seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
>>>est, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking
>>>with
>>>it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it.
>>>Other than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.

>>> Footch? I know futch.
>>>
>>> http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=futch&r=f
>>>

>>ell oh ell, you would know futch. Know his brother and sister?
>>
>>Jack Futchfam

> Yoose mean Butch 'n Putch?
>
> Card them he
> http://www.urbandictionary.com

I know that site. I like 'Da Hui'

Jack Da Hui

Jack Schidt®

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >"Jack Schidt®" writes:
>>
>>"PENMART01" wrote:
>>>Jack Schidt® wrote:
>>>
>>>Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
>>>seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
>>>est, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking
>>>with
>>>it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it.
>>>Other than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.

>>> Footch? I know futch.
>>>
>>> http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=futch&r=f
>>>

>>ell oh ell, you would know futch. Know his brother and sister?
>>
>>Jack Futchfam

> Yoose mean Butch 'n Putch?
>
> Card them he
> http://www.urbandictionary.com

I know that site. I like 'Da Hui'

Jack Da Hui

Jack Schidt®

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >"Jack Schidt®" writes:
>>
>>"PENMART01" wrote:
>>>Jack Schidt® wrote:
>>>
>>>Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
>>>seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
>>>est, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking
>>>with
>>>it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it.
>>>Other than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.

>>> Footch? I know futch.
>>>
>>> http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=futch&r=f
>>>

>>ell oh ell, you would know futch. Know his brother and sister?
>>
>>Jack Futchfam

> Yoose mean Butch 'n Putch?
>
> Card them he
> http://www.urbandictionary.com

I know that site. I like 'Da Hui'

Jack Da Hui

J.J. in WA

Our pal "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:

<snip>

> Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
> seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
> best, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking with
> it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it. Other
> than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.
>
> Jack Ferro

Trust Jack; he told me the same thing last year when I needed to season
a new CI dutch oven -- turned out just great!

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
J.J. in WA

Our pal "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:

<snip>

> Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
> seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
> best, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking with
> it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it. Other
> than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.
>
> Jack Ferro

Trust Jack; he told me the same thing last year when I needed to season
a new CI dutch oven -- turned out just great!

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
(COLD to HOT for e-mail)

J.J. in WA

Our pal "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:

<snip>

> Don't be confused. Cast iron is tough stuff. First time, do a pure oil
> seasoning burn for about an hour or so. Everybody sez oven, and that's
> best, but I've done it on stovetop as well. After that, start cooking with
> it. It will season nicely each time you fry/saute/sweat food in it. Other
> than washing it in the dishwasher it's hard to footch up C.I.
>
> Jack Ferro

Trust Jack; he told me the same thing last year when I needed to season
a new CI dutch oven -- turned out just great!

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
(COLD to HOT for e-mail)
XOR

Thanks to all for the advice!
XOR

Thanks to all for the advice!
XOR

Thanks to all for the advice!
sf

On 07 Sep 2004 00:44:13 GMT, (PENMART01)
wrote:

http://www.urbandictionary.com

I know your new place is big and it must be a lot of work to
keep that property spic & span... unless your last name is
Rockefeller.

Sooooo, how do you find the time to locate these great
sites?

sf

Dave S

XOR wrote:

> Thanks to all for the advice!

I don't think you can season a Creuset cast iron skillet,
unless they're making them without an enamel surface these days.
Seasoning is for uncoated cast iron like Lodge.

"Cast Iron allows for low heat cooking and provides unsurpassed heat
retention.
By enameling the cast iron, Le Creuset products do not require seasoning and
will not react with foods (such as acidic tomato sauces)."

http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...erial=castiron
--
Dave S
Dave S

XOR wrote:

> Thanks to all for the advice!

I don't think you can season a Creuset cast iron skillet,
unless they're making them without an enamel surface these days.
Seasoning is for uncoated cast iron like Lodge.

"Cast Iron allows for low heat cooking and provides unsurpassed heat
retention.
By enameling the cast iron, Le Creuset products do not require seasoning and
will not react with foods (such as acidic tomato sauces)."

http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...erial=castiron
--
Dave S
Scott

In article >,
Dave S > wrote:

> I don't think you can season a Creuset cast iron skillet,
> unless they're making them without an enamel surface these days.
> Seasoning is for uncoated cast iron like Lodge.
>
> "Cast Iron allows for low heat cooking and provides unsurpassed heat
> retention.
> By enameling the cast iron, Le Creuset products do not require seasoning and
> will not react with foods (such as acidic tomato sauces)."
>
> http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...erial=castiron

<http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...owlongpath=1&p
arent_id=1>
Are the insides of the skillets and griddles enameled, or pre-seasoned
like Lodge skillets? I can't tell from the picture. Clearly, the other
products are enameled inside, but it's not clear from the pics of the
other products:
<http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...40&line=11&par
ent_id=1>

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
Dave S > wrote:

> I don't think you can season a Creuset cast iron skillet,
> unless they're making them without an enamel surface these days.
> Seasoning is for uncoated cast iron like Lodge.
>
> "Cast Iron allows for low heat cooking and provides unsurpassed heat
> retention.
> By enameling the cast iron, Le Creuset products do not require seasoning and
> will not react with foods (such as acidic tomato sauces)."
>
> http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...erial=castiron

<http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...owlongpath=1&p
arent_id=1>
Are the insides of the skillets and griddles enameled, or pre-seasoned
like Lodge skillets? I can't tell from the picture. Clearly, the other
products are enameled inside, but it's not clear from the pics of the
other products:
<http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...40&line=11&par
ent_id=1>

please mail OT responses only

XOR

Dave S > wrote in message >...
> XOR wrote:
>
> > Thanks to all for the advice!

> I don't think you can season a Creuset cast iron skillet,
> unless they're making them without an enamel surface these days.
> Seasoning is for uncoated cast iron like Lodge.

They are definitely making them without enamel. We compared the
enameled one to one w/o and preferred w/o for assorted reasons.
XOR

Dave S > wrote in message >...
> XOR wrote:
>
> > Thanks to all for the advice!

> I don't think you can season a Creuset cast iron skillet,
> unless they're making them without an enamel surface these days.
> Seasoning is for uncoated cast iron like Lodge.

They are definitely making them without enamel. We compared the
enameled one to one w/o and preferred w/o for assorted reasons.
XOR

Scott > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> Dave S > wrote:
>
> > I don't think you can season a Creuset cast iron skillet,
> > unless they're making them without an enamel surface these days.
> > Seasoning is for uncoated cast iron like Lodge.
> >
> > "Cast Iron allows for low heat cooking and provides unsurpassed heat
> > retention.
> > By enameling the cast iron, Le Creuset products do not require seasoning and
> > will not react with foods (such as acidic tomato sauces)."
> >
> > http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...erial=castiron

> <http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...owlongpath=1&p
> arent_id=1>
> Are the insides of the skillets and griddles enameled, or pre-seasoned
> like Lodge skillets? I can't tell from the picture. Clearly, the other
> products are enameled inside, but it's not clear from the pics of the
> other products:
> <http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...40&line=11&par
> ent_id=1>

The one I have is not enameled. You can feel it. Not to mention the
staff in the shop (a Le Crueset shop, the staff actually know their
stuff for a change!) said it needed seasoning.
XOR

Scott > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> Dave S > wrote:
>
> > I don't think you can season a Creuset cast iron skillet,
> > unless they're making them without an enamel surface these days.
> > Seasoning is for uncoated cast iron like Lodge.
> >
> > "Cast Iron allows for low heat cooking and provides unsurpassed heat
> > retention.
> > By enameling the cast iron, Le Creuset products do not require seasoning and
> > will not react with foods (such as acidic tomato sauces)."
> >
> > http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...erial=castiron

> <http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...owlongpath=1&p
> arent_id=1>
> Are the insides of the skillets and griddles enameled, or pre-seasoned
> like Lodge skillets? I can't tell from the picture. Clearly, the other
> products are enameled inside, but it's not clear from the pics of the
> other products:
> <http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...40&line=11&par
> ent_id=1>

The one I have is not enameled. You can feel it. Not to mention the
staff in the shop (a Le Crueset shop, the staff actually know their
stuff for a change!) said it needed seasoning.
Dave S

XOR wrote:

> Scott > wrote in message >...
>
>>In article >,
>> Dave S > wrote:
>>

>>>I don't think you can season a Creuset cast iron skillet,
>>>unless they're making them without an enamel surface these days.
>>>Seasoning is for uncoated cast iron like Lodge.
>>>
>>>"Cast Iron allows for low heat cooking and provides unsurpassed heat
>>>retention.
>>>By enameling the cast iron, products do not require seasoning and
>>>will not react with foods (such as acidic tomato sauces)."
>>>
>>>http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...erial=castiron

>><http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...owlongpath=1&p
>>arent_id=1>
>>Are the insides of the skillets and griddles enameled, or pre-seasoned
>>like Lodge skillets? I can't tell from the picture. Clearly, the other
>>products are enameled inside, but it's not clear from the pics of the
>>other products:
>><http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...40&line=11&par
>>ent_id=1>

> The one I have is not enameled. You can feel it. Not to mention the
> staff in the shop (a Le Crueset shop, the staff actually know their
> stuff for a change!) said it needed seasoning.

Live and learn!
I never saw an uncoated Le Creuset pan.
I had a skillet with glissemail(sp?), have seen them enameled,
and think they have a nonstick line too.

Season away!

Dave S