FoodBanter.com

-   -   Moose Ribs Recipe (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/33516-moose-ribs-recipe.html)

Glomis 03-09-2004 10:01 PM

Moose Ribs Recipe

I'm looking for a good moose ribs recipe. I have several racks of moose
ribs that I want to use. Anyone have any good homemade or commercial sauce
that they use. Also if I had an idea of cooking time and par-boil times
etc - that would be great!

Post here or email me - glomis at gmail **dot com

Cheers!

Glomis

Steve Calvin 03-09-2004 10:08 PM

Glomis wrote:
> I'm looking for a good moose ribs recipe. I have several racks of moose
> ribs that I want to use. Anyone have any good homemade or commercial sauce
> that they use. Also if I had an idea of cooking time and par-boil times
> etc - that would be great!
>
> Post here or email me - glomis at gmail **dot com
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

Assuming that this isn't a troll post (the par-boil makes me
suspicious)...

I don't know how much they weigh so a time is tough to say.
*Don't* par-boil 'em. Put a dry rub of you choice on them for a few
hours in the fridge. Get them to room temperature (very important) and
then onto a grill/smoker at 250-275dF until when you pick 'em up they
"break" between the ribs. Baby back pork ribs usually around 2 1/2 - 3
hours if that helps at all.

Mop 'em with a sauce in the last half hour if you must. I prefer to
serve ribs dry with a dipping sauce on the side but to each their own.

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Steve Calvin 03-09-2004 10:08 PM

Steve Calvin 03-09-2004 10:40 PM

Glomis wrote:

> Thanks Steve for the response!
>
> Ummm...I don't think I'm a troll, although I have 'cooked' a few of them in
> my time!! :-)
>
> I'd estimate the ribs to be about 750 grams per rack. I guess I assumed
> that one would par boil because moose gets pretty tough if cooked too much.
> I'll give it a shot without the par boil. When you say dry rub...can you
> recommend one or tell me the ingredients so I can make one? I'm a novice
> cook...can you tell?!! :-)
>
> I plan to cook them tomorrow on the grill - so I have lots of time to get
> them ready - would an overnight marinate be of any advantage?
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

lol, ok.

"low and slow" is the way to cook things that are typically tough (or
braising of course) Take a brisket for instance, extrememly tough
piece of meat but cook it at 250-275 until it reaches about 185dF
internal temperature and you've got bliss. At 750 grams (that's about
2 pounds I believe) then you're probably in the same timeframe as the
BB ribs I mentioned. Just keep checkin' em after about 2 hourse. Put
the bone side *up* in the smoker and don't turn it and you'll get
what's known as "bark". It's a rather crispy "skin" on the meat. Great
stuff. I'll say again as it's very important, let the ribs sit and
come to room temperature before starting the cooking process.

As for a rub, I'd just use salt and pepper personally and then move on
from there. There are literally thousands of rub recipes. It depends
on what spices/herbs that you like. Really, anything goes.
Follow this link and you'll see about 1000, pick one that sounds good
to ya.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

Some people use sugar (white and/or brown) some don't. (I'm in the
"don't" camp).

Actually, rather than ramble on I should just point you to the BBQ FAQ
page I suppose.

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/

Good luck. I'm rather new myself to Q'ing but boy is it fun. :-)

Steve Calvin 03-09-2004 10:40 PM

Steve Calvin 03-09-2004 10:40 PM

Glomis 03-09-2004 11:14 PM

Thanks Steve - that makes sense. Low and slow...I'll keep that in mind.

On the rub... I have used Montreal Steak Spice on beef - but I do find it a
little strong. I'll give the straight salt and pepper a go...I think I
still have some coarse sea salt. And I didn't know about the 'room temp
before cooking' thing - I'll give that a shot too. I'll check out those
links as well.

I'll post tomorrow evening and let you know how they tasted. Thanks again!

I'm kinda glad those ribs stayed hidden in the freezer since last fall. I
get a nice late summer treat...and I have another moose license this fall!
Maybe I'll be asking my guy to butcher more ribs for me and less ground
moose and sausage.

Cheers!

Glomis

Glomis 03-09-2004 11:14 PM

Glomis 03-09-2004 11:14 PM

The Ranger 04-09-2004 12:01 AM

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 18:31:54 -0230, "Glomis"
> wrote:
> I'm looking for a good moose ribs recipe. I have
> several racks of moose ribs that I want to use.
> Anyone have any good homemade or commercial
> sauce that they use. Also if I had an idea of
> cooking time and par-boil times etc - that would
> be great!

Dry Rub recipe
5 tsp. brown sugar
4 Tbs. dry mustard
2 Tbs. New Mexico chili powder
2 Tbs. onion powder
2 Tbs. garlic powder
1 Tbs. Pepper
1/2 Tbs. Salt
2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cayenne

DO NOT PARBOIL ribs.

Mix all ingredients together. Rub top and bottom of each rack with
rub. Refrigerate each rack after rub has been applied for 2 to 24
hours. Allow rub to penetrate meat. Prior to cooking, set rack out to
allow meat to reach room temperature. Cook at 250 for 3-5 hours (or
until meat is falling off bones.)

Enjoy with a Zinfandel, burgundy or Cabernet Sauvingnon.

The Ranger

The Ranger 04-09-2004 12:01 AM

[email protected] 04-09-2004 02:02 AM

In rec.food.cooking, Glomis > wrote:
> I'm looking for a good moose ribs recipe. I have several racks of moose
> ribs that I want to use.

Back ribs or spares?

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

[email protected] 04-09-2004 02:02 AM

In rec.food.cooking, Glomis > wrote:
> I'm looking for a good moose ribs recipe. I have several racks of moose
> ribs that I want to use.

Back ribs or spares?

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Steve Calvin 04-09-2004 02:07 AM

wrote:

> In rec.food.cooking, Glomis > wrote:
>
>>I'm looking for a good moose ribs recipe. I have several racks of moose
>>ribs that I want to use.

> Back ribs or spares?

Very good question and one that I neglected to ask. I just "assumed"
and you know what happens then. ;-)

Steve Calvin 04-09-2004 02:07 AM

sf 04-09-2004 08:42 AM

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:08:36 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

> Assuming that this isn't a troll post (the par-boil makes me
> suspicious)...

Moose ribs & parboil? Doesn't that remind you of a certain
THREAD that Moosie started last year???

It's a Troll.

sf

sf 04-09-2004 08:42 AM

Steve Calvin 04-09-2004 12:40 PM

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:08:36 -0400, Steve Calvin
> > wrote:
>

>> Assuming that this isn't a troll post (the par-boil makes me
>> suspicious)...

> Moose ribs & parboil? Doesn't that remind you of a certain
> THREAD that Moosie started last year???
>
> It's a Troll.
>
> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Given "his" reply to that post, I kind of doubt it.

Steve Calvin 04-09-2004 12:40 PM

Siobhan Perricone 04-09-2004 02:03 PM

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 19:44:34 -0230, "Glomis" >
wrote:

>Thanks Steve - that makes sense. Low and slow...I'll keep that in mind.
>
>On the rub... I have used Montreal Steak Spice on beef - but I do find it a
>little strong. I'll give the straight salt and pepper a go...I think I
>still have some coarse sea salt. And I didn't know about the 'room temp
>before cooking' thing - I'll give that a shot too. I'll check out those
>links as well.
>
>I'll post tomorrow evening and let you know how they tasted. Thanks again!
>
>I'm kinda glad those ribs stayed hidden in the freezer since last fall. I
>get a nice late summer treat...and I have another moose license this fall!
>Maybe I'll be asking my guy to butcher more ribs for me and less ground
>moose and sausage.

Keep in mind, though, if you don't have a smoker or a grill suitable for
the method of cooking Steve suggested (which IS the superior method for
flavour) then you can go with braising them "low and slow" in the oven.

Alton Brown has a great recipe called "who loves ya baby back ribs" on the
Food TV site. I've adapted the method and recipe to all types of ribs and
it works beautifully.

His recipe does have brown sugar in it, but IMO, it's not sweet at all in
the end. I think it gives a nice complexity of flavour (which I feel is
more important because you don't get the complexity from the smoker when
you're braising in the oven).

All I'd suggest is thinking about which herbs/spices will work with moose,
then using his basic recipe and adjust the spices/herbs accordingly.

I also don't braise in wine, but I use apple juices for my primary liquid,
but that's with pork ribs, I don't know which would be yummier for moose.
:)

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,

Siobhan Perricone 04-09-2004 02:03 PM

sf 04-09-2004 06:14 PM

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 07:40:17 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:08:36 -0400, Steve Calvin
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> Assuming that this isn't a troll post (the par-boil makes me
> >> suspicious)...

> > Moose ribs & parboil? Doesn't that remind you of a certain
> > THREAD that Moosie started last year???
> >
> > It's a Troll.

> Given "his" reply to that post, I kind of doubt it.

Too many factors came into play for me NOT to be suspicious.

sf

sf 04-09-2004 06:14 PM

Glomis 04-09-2004 10:05 PM

Hi 'The Ranger':

Thanks for the dry rub recipe. I had already concocted one based on a
recipe I found from one of Steve's links. Yours sounds great too. I'm
gonna keep it 'on file' for the next time. :-)

And I promise NOT to par-boil the ribs!! Especially given the strong
anti-par-boil sentiments expressed here. LOL Actually I had never cooked
ribs before at all at it was just something that I had heard of others
doing. I promise not to par boil...

Thanks for the other tips too, especially the wine selections....I think it
will be the Cabernet tonight!

Kindest Cheers!

Glomis

Glomis 04-09-2004 10:05 PM

Hi 'The Ranger':

Glomis 04-09-2004 10:08 PM

Hi:

To the best of ability to tell, EskWired, they are back ribs. Originally I
thought they were larger racks...but once they thawed I realized that they
were cut into sections. Each section has three or four bones and lots of
meat on them - I mean lots of meat!! There's hardly any fat...but that
typical of moose meat anyway. I'm guessing from that that they are back
ribs - but I really don't know for sure.

Cheers!

Glomis

Glomis 04-09-2004 10:08 PM

Hi:

Glomis 04-09-2004 10:15 PM

Hi again Steve:

I was much later this evening running errands than I thought I'd be - so I
just now (it's 6:30 where I am) have the ribs out and coming to room temp.
The dry rub has been on the ribs for about eight or nine hours. The wife
and I have already had a light supper and I plan to cook the ribs anyway -
as an experiment if nothing else! It's really raining out, but luckily I
have convinced the wife to help me move the BBQ to the garage from the deck
so I can cook in some level of comfort (Please no flames --pun intended--
for not having two BBQ's :-) LOL ).

Anyhow, I appear to be rambling on - so I'll report success or failure
later. Thanks again to all who offered help.

Cheers!

Glomis

Glomis 04-09-2004 10:15 PM

Hi again Steve:

Steve Calvin 05-09-2004 03:22 AM

Glomis wrote:

> Hi again Steve:
>
> I was much later this evening running errands than I thought I'd be - so I
> just now (it's 6:30 where I am) have the ribs out and coming to room temp.
> The dry rub has been on the ribs for about eight or nine hours. The wife
> and I have already had a light supper and I plan to cook the ribs anyway -
> as an experiment if nothing else! It's really raining out, but luckily I
> have convinced the wife to help me move the BBQ to the garage from the deck
> so I can cook in some level of comfort (Please no flames --pun intended--
> for not having two BBQ's :-) LOL ).
>
> Anyhow, I appear to be rambling on - so I'll report success or failure
> later. Thanks again to all who offered help.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

This is probably too late but if they're back ribs, they may take a
while longer to get tender.

Let us know. Q'ing takes some practice. Don't expect perfection on the
first shot. If you get it, more power to ya.

Steve Calvin 05-09-2004 03:22 AM

Steve Calvin 05-09-2004 01:09 PM

Siobhan Perricone wrote:
<snip>

> Keep in mind, though, if you don't have a smoker or a grill suitable for
> the method of cooking Steve suggested (which IS the superior method for
> flavour) then you can go with braising them "low and slow" in the oven.

Excellant point. I just "assumed"... I would not recommend trying the
method in say a gas grill. While it is possible to accomplish it's not
easy and doesn't do your grill a whole heck of a lot of good either. I
was doing ribs this way in my Weber Genesis Silver which did the job
fine but I sure made one greasy mess on the inside of the grill after
doing a few slabs. I just bought a Weber Smokey Mountain that is made
for this type of cooking. It's very well made for the $, btw.

If you have a large charcoal grill you probably may be able to
"squeak" by if you place the lit charcoal on say the extreme right
side of the grill and then put the ribs on the left side but keeping
the temperature at 275dF say would be difficult.

I agree with Siobhan, if you don't have a unit made for these types of
cooks you'd probably be better off in the oven. (don't shoot me people)

Steve Calvin 05-09-2004 01:09 PM

<snip>

Steve Calvin 05-09-2004 01:09 PM

<snip>

Glomis 05-09-2004 08:50 PM

Hello:

Just a quick update for all the fine folks who offered advice on the moose
ribs recipe...

Turns out that an old friend showed up last night and I didn't get a chance
to cook the ribs on the BBQ. Good thing too - Because I had misinterpreted
Steve's advice and almost cooked them on a propane grill! Thankfully things
were clarified (thanks Siobhan and Steve!!) with respect to the grilling
thing. I ended up braising the ribs in the oven.

Basically they sat in the fridge for over 24 hours with the dry rub on them
(Montreal Steak spice, garlic powder and chili powder) and I then braised
them at about 100 Celsius for about four hours.

I had planned leg of lamb for today and needed the oven...so I started the
ribs early this morning (about 11:00AM actually). At about 2:30PM I drained
about 75% of the liquid off the ribs and smothered them in a slightly hot
and spicy homemade sauce (a friend's - not mine). I continued to cook them
for about another 30 minutes and then took them out. I have to say that I
was pleasantly surprised. The ribs were quite tender and very tasty. Even
the wife, who is not partial to Moose, enjoyed them.

So thanks to all who posted suggestions and tips. Much appreciated!!!

Cheers!

Glomis

PS. No water was harmed or boiled in the cooking of these ribs - as
certified by the ABWDCRS (Anti Boiling of Water During the Cooking of Ribs
Society) :-) lol

Glomis 05-09-2004 08:50 PM

Hello:

Glomis 05-09-2004 08:50 PM

Hello:

Steve Calvin 05-09-2004 09:16 PM

Glomis wrote:

> for about another 30 minutes and then took them out. I have to say that I
> was pleasantly surprised. The ribs were quite tender and very tasty. Even
> the wife, who is not partial to Moose, enjoyed them.
>
> So thanks to all who posted suggestions and tips. Much appreciated!!!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

Great. Ya owe us each a slab. ;-) Invest in a Weber Smokey Mountain
and they'll be even better.

Steve Calvin 05-09-2004 09:16 PM

Steve Calvin 05-09-2004 09:16 PM