Moosemeat

I choose not to comment on this thread-although it's killing me

..
"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Glomis wrote:
> .

Moosemeat

I choose not to comment on this thread-although it's killing me

..
"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Glomis wrote:
> .

Moosemeat

I choose not to comment on this thread-although it's killing me

..
"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Glomis wrote:
> .

Steve Calvin

Moosemeat wrote:

> I choose not to comment on this thread-although it's killing me

Phew... and I thought you were ill

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Steve Calvin

Moosemeat wrote:

> I choose not to comment on this thread-although it's killing me

Phew... and I thought you were ill

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Glomis

Thanks Steve:

I'm assuming a "Weber Smokey Mountain" is an electric grill? I don't think
they are real popular in Eastern Canada yet, but you have me interested!!
As for the 'slab', no problem friend!! Just let me know when you are in my
neck of the woods and I'll cook ya up a slab!! **Note**Two days notice
required!!

Cheers!

Glomis

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Glomis wrote:
>
> > for about another 30 minutes and then took them out. I have to say that

> > was pleasantly surprised. The ribs were quite tender and very tasty.

Even
> > the wife, who is not partial to Moose, enjoyed them.
> >
> > So thanks to all who posted suggestions and tips. Much appreciated!!!
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Glomis

> Great. Ya owe us each a slab. ;-) Invest in a Weber Smokey Mountain
> and they'll be even better.
>

> --
> Steve
>
> Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Glomis

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Glomis wrote:
>
> > for about another 30 minutes and then took them out. I have to say that

> > was pleasantly surprised. The ribs were quite tender and very tasty.

Even
> > the wife, who is not partial to Moose, enjoyed them.
> >
> > So thanks to all who posted suggestions and tips. Much appreciated!!!
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Glomis

> Great. Ya owe us each a slab. ;-) Invest in a Weber Smokey Mountain
> and they'll be even better.
>

> --
> Steve
>
> Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

The Ranger

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 21:36:46 GMT, "Moosemeat" >
wrote:
> I choose not to comment on this thread-although
> it's killing me

One could only hope.

The Ranger
--
"Grits are akin to Elmer's Paste with less flavor and more sand."
The Ranger

wrote:
> I choose not to comment on this thread-although
> it's killing me

One could only hope.

The Ranger
--
"Grits are akin to Elmer's Paste with less flavor and more sand."
Glomis

Hahaha.....Comment away Moosemeat... :-) Your handle interests me if
nothing else! - The joke was pretty funny too!!

I have to say that I am impressed with the hospitality shown in this group.
I kind of hesitated with my original post...thought that I might be
denigrated for my hobby of hunting much of my own meat and such. Needless
to say, I was quite pleased to find that most of the responses to my query
actually dealt with the pleasure of cooking and not an otherwise meaningless
(at least one I wouldn't participate in) debate. Especially when I made the
apparent error of mentioning a particular 'P' word! lol

Hats off to the people of rec.food.cooking!!!

Cheers!

Glomis

Moosemeat wrote:
> I choose not to comment on this thread-although it's killing me
>
> .
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> > Glomis wrote:
> > .

Glomis

Moosemeat wrote:
> I choose not to comment on this thread-although it's killing me
>
> .
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> > Glomis wrote:
> > .

Glomis

Moosemeat wrote:
> I choose not to comment on this thread-although it's killing me
>
> .
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> > Glomis wrote:
> > .

The Ranger

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 19:29:54 -0230, "Glomis"
> wrote:
> [snip] thought that I might be denigrated for my
> hobby of hunting much of my own meat and such.

[snip]

I've never seen people chewed on because they hunt game animals... As
long as it's not for sport, many posters don't give it more than a
moment's thought.

As far as giving you a reason to be scared... You'll eventually post
something, some time, here that draws your back-ordered fair share of
scorn and ridicule. Take it or leave it; or join in and enjoy the
'group.

If you really did miss the scorn, I added a sig just for you.

The Ranger
==
Stumble back to the rock you slimed out from under; the sun's too
bright for you and baked what little brains you have.
The Ranger

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 19:29:54 -0230, "Glomis"
> wrote:
> [snip] thought that I might be denigrated for my
> hobby of hunting much of my own meat and such.

[snip]

I've never seen people chewed on because they hunt game animals... As
long as it's not for sport, many posters don't give it more than a
moment's thought.

As far as giving you a reason to be scared... You'll eventually post
something, some time, here that draws your back-ordered fair share of
scorn and ridicule. Take it or leave it; or join in and enjoy the
'group.

If you really did miss the scorn, I added a sig just for you.

The Ranger
==
Stumble back to the rock you slimed out from under; the sun's too
bright for you and baked what little brains you have.
Steve Calvin

Glomis wrote:

> Hahaha.....Comment away Moosemeat... :-) Your handle interests me if
> nothing else! - The joke was pretty funny too!!
>
> I have to say that I am impressed with the hospitality shown in this group.
> I kind of hesitated with my original post...thought that I might be
> denigrated for my hobby of hunting much of my own meat and such. Needless
> to say, I was quite pleased to find that most of the responses to my query
> actually dealt with the pleasure of cooking and not an otherwise meaningless
> (at least one I wouldn't participate in) debate. Especially when I made the
> apparent error of mentioning a particular 'P' word! lol
>
> Hats off to the people of rec.food.cooking!!!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

LOL, keep your flame suit handy Glomis. You'll need it sooner or later ;-)

As for the WSM, you can check it out here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
And even with the $35 shipping, it's not all that bad.

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Steve Calvin

Glomis wrote:

> Hahaha.....Comment away Moosemeat... :-) Your handle interests me if
> nothing else! - The joke was pretty funny too!!
>
> I have to say that I am impressed with the hospitality shown in this group.
> I kind of hesitated with my original post...thought that I might be
> denigrated for my hobby of hunting much of my own meat and such. Needless
> to say, I was quite pleased to find that most of the responses to my query
> actually dealt with the pleasure of cooking and not an otherwise meaningless
> (at least one I wouldn't participate in) debate. Especially when I made the
> apparent error of mentioning a particular 'P' word! lol
>
> Hats off to the people of rec.food.cooking!!!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

LOL, keep your flame suit handy Glomis. You'll need it sooner or later ;-)

As for the WSM, you can check it out here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
And even with the $35 shipping, it's not all that bad.

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Steve Calvin

Glomis wrote:

> Hahaha.....Comment away Moosemeat... :-) Your handle interests me if
> nothing else! - The joke was pretty funny too!!
>
> I have to say that I am impressed with the hospitality shown in this group.
> I kind of hesitated with my original post...thought that I might be
> denigrated for my hobby of hunting much of my own meat and such. Needless
> to say, I was quite pleased to find that most of the responses to my query
> actually dealt with the pleasure of cooking and not an otherwise meaningless
> (at least one I wouldn't participate in) debate. Especially when I made the
> apparent error of mentioning a particular 'P' word! lol
>
> Hats off to the people of rec.food.cooking!!!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

LOL, keep your flame suit handy Glomis. You'll need it sooner or later ;-)

As for the WSM, you can check it out here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
And even with the $35 shipping, it's not all that bad.

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Steve Calvin

Glomis wrote:

> Hahaha.....Comment away Moosemeat... :-) Your handle interests me if
> nothing else! - The joke was pretty funny too!!
>
> I have to say that I am impressed with the hospitality shown in this group.
> I kind of hesitated with my original post...thought that I might be
> denigrated for my hobby of hunting much of my own meat and such. Needless
> to say, I was quite pleased to find that most of the responses to my query
> actually dealt with the pleasure of cooking and not an otherwise meaningless
> (at least one I wouldn't participate in) debate. Especially when I made the
> apparent error of mentioning a particular 'P' word! lol
>
> Hats off to the people of rec.food.cooking!!!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

LOL, keep your flame suit handy Glomis. You'll need it sooner or later ;-)

As for the WSM, you can check it out here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
And even with the $35 shipping, it's not all that bad.

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

BOB

Glomis wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>> Glomis wrote:
>>
>>> for about another 30 minutes and then took them out. I have to say that I
>>> was pleasantly surprised. The ribs were quite tender and very tasty. Even
>>> the wife, who is not partial to Moose, enjoyed them.
>>>
>>> So thanks to all who posted suggestions and tips. Much appreciated!!!
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> Glomis

>> Great. Ya owe us each a slab. ;-) Invest in a Weber Smokey Mountain
>> and they'll be even better.
>>

>> --
>> Steve
>>
>> Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

> Thanks Steve:
>
> I'm assuming a "Weber Smokey Mountain" is an electric grill?

No. Charcoal. It's possibly the most versitile smoker/grill especially for the
money.
You can barbecue, grill, etc. and temperature is very simple once you get
through the slight learning curve.

> I don't think
> they are real popular in Eastern Canada yet, but you have me interested!!

Just get one. You won't be sorry.

> As for the 'slab', no problem friend!! Just let me know when you are in my
> neck of the woods and I'll cook ya up a slab!! **Note**Two days notice
> required!!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

BOB

Glomis wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>> Glomis wrote:
>>
>>> for about another 30 minutes and then took them out. I have to say that I
>>> was pleasantly surprised. The ribs were quite tender and very tasty. Even
>>> the wife, who is not partial to Moose, enjoyed them.
>>>
>>> So thanks to all who posted suggestions and tips. Much appreciated!!!
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> Glomis

>> Great. Ya owe us each a slab. ;-) Invest in a Weber Smokey Mountain
>> and they'll be even better.
>>

>> --
>> Steve
>>
>> Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

> Thanks Steve:
>
> I'm assuming a "Weber Smokey Mountain" is an electric grill?

No. Charcoal. It's possibly the most versitile smoker/grill especially for the
money.
You can barbecue, grill, etc. and temperature is very simple once you get
through the slight learning curve.

> I don't think
> they are real popular in Eastern Canada yet, but you have me interested!!

Just get one. You won't be sorry.

> As for the 'slab', no problem friend!! Just let me know when you are in my
> neck of the woods and I'll cook ya up a slab!! **Note**Two days notice
> required!!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

BOB

Glomis wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>> Glomis wrote:
>>
>>> for about another 30 minutes and then took them out. I have to say that I
>>> was pleasantly surprised. The ribs were quite tender and very tasty. Even
>>> the wife, who is not partial to Moose, enjoyed them.
>>>
>>> So thanks to all who posted suggestions and tips. Much appreciated!!!
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> Glomis

>> Great. Ya owe us each a slab. ;-) Invest in a Weber Smokey Mountain
>> and they'll be even better.
>>

>> --
>> Steve
>>
>> Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

> Thanks Steve:
>
> I'm assuming a "Weber Smokey Mountain" is an electric grill?

No. Charcoal. It's possibly the most versitile smoker/grill especially for the
money.
You can barbecue, grill, etc. and temperature is very simple once you get
through the slight learning curve.

> I don't think
> they are real popular in Eastern Canada yet, but you have me interested!!

Just get one. You won't be sorry.

> As for the 'slab', no problem friend!! Just let me know when you are in my
> neck of the woods and I'll cook ya up a slab!! **Note**Two days notice
> required!!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

Steve Calvin

Glomis wrote:
> Thanks Steve:
>
> I'm assuming a "Weber Smokey Mountain" is an electric grill? I don't think
> they are real popular in Eastern Canada yet, but you have me interested!!
> As for the 'slab', no problem friend!! Just let me know when you are in my
> neck of the woods and I'll cook ya up a slab!! **Note**Two days notice
> required!!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

Glad that you enjoyed. No, the WSM is wood/charcoal/lump charcoal
fired. Temp. control is really pretty easy in it after a couple of
trials. Well worth the $ for ease of use and not "funking" up the
gasser. Actually I've got a couple of slabs soaking the dry rub in
"as we speak". Gonna fire up the WSM about 1 or so and throw those bad
"boys" on to have with local sweet corn for dinner. :-)

How the the moose differ in taste from say pork ribs?

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Steve Calvin

Glomis wrote:
> Thanks Steve:
>
> I'm assuming a "Weber Smokey Mountain" is an electric grill? I don't think
> they are real popular in Eastern Canada yet, but you have me interested!!
> As for the 'slab', no problem friend!! Just let me know when you are in my
> neck of the woods and I'll cook ya up a slab!! **Note**Two days notice
> required!!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

Glad that you enjoyed. No, the WSM is wood/charcoal/lump charcoal
fired. Temp. control is really pretty easy in it after a couple of
trials. Well worth the $ for ease of use and not "funking" up the
gasser. Actually I've got a couple of slabs soaking the dry rub in
"as we speak". Gonna fire up the WSM about 1 or so and throw those bad
"boys" on to have with local sweet corn for dinner. :-)

How the the moose differ in taste from say pork ribs?

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Glomis

BOB wrote:
> No. Charcoal. It's possibly the most versitile smoker/grill especially

for the
> money.
> You can barbecue, grill, etc. and temperature is very simple once you get
> through the slight learning curve.
>
> > I don't think
> > they are real popular in Eastern Canada yet, but you have me

interested!!

> Just get one. You won't be sorry.

Ahhh...Charcoal. Sometimes I really miss the 'old fashioned' way.

I'll have to get one - for the nostalgia, if nothing else.

Cheers!

Glomis

Glomis

BOB wrote:
> No. Charcoal. It's possibly the most versitile smoker/grill especially

for the
> money.
> You can barbecue, grill, etc. and temperature is very simple once you get
> through the slight learning curve.
>
> > I don't think
> > they are real popular in Eastern Canada yet, but you have me

interested!!

> Just get one. You won't be sorry.

Ahhh...Charcoal. Sometimes I really miss the 'old fashioned' way.

I'll have to get one - for the nostalgia, if nothing else.

Cheers!

Glomis

Glomis

BOB wrote:
> No. Charcoal. It's possibly the most versitile smoker/grill especially

for the
> money.
> You can barbecue, grill, etc. and temperature is very simple once you get
> through the slight learning curve.
>
> > I don't think
> > they are real popular in Eastern Canada yet, but you have me

interested!!

> Just get one. You won't be sorry.

Ahhh...Charcoal. Sometimes I really miss the 'old fashioned' way.

I'll have to get one - for the nostalgia, if nothing else.

Cheers!

Glomis

Glomis

BOB wrote:
> No. Charcoal. It's possibly the most versitile smoker/grill especially

for the
> money.
> You can barbecue, grill, etc. and temperature is very simple once you get
> through the slight learning curve.
>
> > I don't think
> > they are real popular in Eastern Canada yet, but you have me

interested!!

> Just get one. You won't be sorry.

Ahhh...Charcoal. Sometimes I really miss the 'old fashioned' way.

I'll have to get one - for the nostalgia, if nothing else.

Cheers!

Glomis

Steve Calvin

Glomis wrote:

> BOB wrote:
>
>>No. Charcoal. It's possibly the most versitile smoker/grill especially

> for the
>
>>money.
>>You can barbecue, grill, etc. and temperature is very simple once you get
>>through the slight learning curve.
>>

>>> I don't think
>>>they are real popular in Eastern Canada yet, but you have me

> interested!!
>
>>Just get one. You won't be sorry.

> Ahhh...Charcoal. Sometimes I really miss the 'old fashioned' way.
>
> I'll have to get one - for the nostalgia, if nothing else.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

Not the only reason Glomis. The Q is a lot better. (Although I've
certainly had my share of oven roasted ribs, etc)

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Steve Calvin

Glomis wrote:

> BOB wrote:
>
>>No. Charcoal. It's possibly the most versitile smoker/grill especially

> for the
>
>>money.
>>You can barbecue, grill, etc. and temperature is very simple once you get
>>through the slight learning curve.
>>

>>> I don't think
>>>they are real popular in Eastern Canada yet, but you have me

> interested!!
>
>>Just get one. You won't be sorry.

> Ahhh...Charcoal. Sometimes I really miss the 'old fashioned' way.
>
> I'll have to get one - for the nostalgia, if nothing else.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

Not the only reason Glomis. The Q is a lot better. (Although I've
certainly had my share of oven roasted ribs, etc)

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Glomis

Steve Calvin wrote:
> How the the moose differ in taste from say pork ribs?

Enormously! Moose would be much closer to beef in taste than pork of
course, but really there's little in common between the taste of moose and
beef either. The taste of moose depends on many factors. Of course it's a
wild animal, so its diet is a big factor. Personally I hunt moose in areas
where there isn't a lot of birch and other deciduous trees. A diet of this
stuff gives a real 'gamey' taste to the meat. I do like the natural flavour
of the moose meat - but not so much that it overpowers the overall taste.
Hunting in a non-deciduous area is not a difficulty for me, since I live in
a Taiga region - mostly evergreens. Another factor is the 'condition of the
kill'. If the animal is run down very much then lactic acid will be present
in the muscle fibers and this will affect how tender the meat is - as well
as the taste. For this reason I will not shoot a running animal, or shoot
at one that I can't kill stone dead with a single shot. Lastly, the carcass
has to be gutted and cleaned immediately and hung for about three weeks in a
four degree Celsius controlled environment. Of course a good butcher is a
must too!

I have described the flavour of the meat as basically beef with a milder
milky flavour but not quite to the extent of veal. But again there are so
many factors that affect the flavour.

I typically get some of steak, roast, stew meat, ground (or hamburger) meat,
and various types of sausage made from the animals I shoot. As well, I
usually bottle about 50Kg of meat - great for camping trips and snowmobile
trips etc.

I know this was far more information that you probably wanted...but there
you have it.

Cheers!

Glomis

Glomis

Steve Calvin wrote:
> How the the moose differ in taste from say pork ribs?

Enormously! Moose would be much closer to beef in taste than pork of
course, but really there's little in common between the taste of moose and
beef either. The taste of moose depends on many factors. Of course it's a
wild animal, so its diet is a big factor. Personally I hunt moose in areas
where there isn't a lot of birch and other deciduous trees. A diet of this
stuff gives a real 'gamey' taste to the meat. I do like the natural flavour
of the moose meat - but not so much that it overpowers the overall taste.
Hunting in a non-deciduous area is not a difficulty for me, since I live in
a Taiga region - mostly evergreens. Another factor is the 'condition of the
kill'. If the animal is run down very much then lactic acid will be present
in the muscle fibers and this will affect how tender the meat is - as well
as the taste. For this reason I will not shoot a running animal, or shoot
at one that I can't kill stone dead with a single shot. Lastly, the carcass
has to be gutted and cleaned immediately and hung for about three weeks in a
four degree Celsius controlled environment. Of course a good butcher is a
must too!

I have described the flavour of the meat as basically beef with a milder
milky flavour but not quite to the extent of veal. But again there are so
many factors that affect the flavour.

I typically get some of steak, roast, stew meat, ground (or hamburger) meat,
and various types of sausage made from the animals I shoot. As well, I
usually bottle about 50Kg of meat - great for camping trips and snowmobile
trips etc.

I know this was far more information that you probably wanted...but there
you have it.

Cheers!

Glomis

Glomis

Steve Calvin wrote:
> How the the moose differ in taste from say pork ribs?

Enormously! Moose would be much closer to beef in taste than pork of
course, but really there's little in common between the taste of moose and
beef either. The taste of moose depends on many factors. Of course it's a
wild animal, so its diet is a big factor. Personally I hunt moose in areas
where there isn't a lot of birch and other deciduous trees. A diet of this
stuff gives a real 'gamey' taste to the meat. I do like the natural flavour
of the moose meat - but not so much that it overpowers the overall taste.
Hunting in a non-deciduous area is not a difficulty for me, since I live in
a Taiga region - mostly evergreens. Another factor is the 'condition of the
kill'. If the animal is run down very much then lactic acid will be present
in the muscle fibers and this will affect how tender the meat is - as well
as the taste. For this reason I will not shoot a running animal, or shoot
at one that I can't kill stone dead with a single shot. Lastly, the carcass
has to be gutted and cleaned immediately and hung for about three weeks in a
four degree Celsius controlled environment. Of course a good butcher is a
must too!

I have described the flavour of the meat as basically beef with a milder
milky flavour but not quite to the extent of veal. But again there are so
many factors that affect the flavour.

I typically get some of steak, roast, stew meat, ground (or hamburger) meat,
and various types of sausage made from the animals I shoot. As well, I
usually bottle about 50Kg of meat - great for camping trips and snowmobile
trips etc.

I know this was far more information that you probably wanted...but there
you have it.

Cheers!

Glomis

Glomis

Glomis wrote:

> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>>How the the moose differ in taste from say pork ribs?

> Enormously! Moose would be much closer to beef in taste than pork of
> course, but really there's little in common between the taste of moose and
> beef either. The taste of moose depends on many factors. Of course it's a
> wild animal, so its diet is a big factor. Personally I hunt moose in areas
> where there isn't a lot of birch and other deciduous trees. A diet of this
> stuff gives a real 'gamey' taste to the meat. I do like the natural flavour
> of the moose meat - but not so much that it overpowers the overall taste.
> Hunting in a non-deciduous area is not a difficulty for me, since I live in
> a Taiga region - mostly evergreens. Another factor is the 'condition of the
> kill'. If the animal is run down very much then lactic acid will be present
> in the muscle fibers and this will affect how tender the meat is - as well
> as the taste. For this reason I will not shoot a running animal, or shoot
> at one that I can't kill stone dead with a single shot. Lastly, the carcass
> has to be gutted and cleaned immediately and hung for about three weeks in a
> four degree Celsius controlled environment. Of course a good butcher is a
> must too!
>
> I have described the flavour of the meat as basically beef with a milder
> milky flavour but not quite to the extent of veal. But again there are so
> many factors that affect the flavour.
>
> I typically get some of steak, roast, stew meat, ground (or hamburger) meat,
> and various types of sausage made from the animals I shoot. As well, I
> usually bottle about 50Kg of meat - great for camping trips and snowmobile
> trips etc.
>
> I know this was far more information that you probably wanted...but there
> you have it.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

I you shoot only animals found in the pine or fir forests do they have a
piny taste to the meat?
We have ours prepared as you have outlined with the exception part of
the hunting party is a certified butcher. All that is done and placed
in a very low...mobile freezer.
When I get around to using them I use a great marinade with natural
maple sugar and other spices. Delicious for ribs, steaks or roasts.
Usually throw in a cup of Bourbon.

Glomis wrote:

> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>>How the the moose differ in taste from say pork ribs?

> Enormously! Moose would be much closer to beef in taste than pork of
> course, but really there's little in common between the taste of moose and
> beef either. The taste of moose depends on many factors. Of course it's a
> wild animal, so its diet is a big factor. Personally I hunt moose in areas
> where there isn't a lot of birch and other deciduous trees. A diet of this
> stuff gives a real 'gamey' taste to the meat. I do like the natural flavour
> of the moose meat - but not so much that it overpowers the overall taste.
> Hunting in a non-deciduous area is not a difficulty for me, since I live in
> a Taiga region - mostly evergreens. Another factor is the 'condition of the
> kill'. If the animal is run down very much then lactic acid will be present
> in the muscle fibers and this will affect how tender the meat is - as well
> as the taste. For this reason I will not shoot a running animal, or shoot
> at one that I can't kill stone dead with a single shot. Lastly, the carcass
> has to be gutted and cleaned immediately and hung for about three weeks in a
> four degree Celsius controlled environment. Of course a good butcher is a
> must too!
>
> I have described the flavour of the meat as basically beef with a milder
> milky flavour but not quite to the extent of veal. But again there are so
> many factors that affect the flavour.
>
> I typically get some of steak, roast, stew meat, ground (or hamburger) meat,
> and various types of sausage made from the animals I shoot. As well, I
> usually bottle about 50Kg of meat - great for camping trips and snowmobile
> trips etc.
>
> I know this was far more information that you probably wanted...but there
> you have it.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

I you shoot only animals found in the pine or fir forests do they have a
piny taste to the meat?
We have ours prepared as you have outlined with the exception part of
the hunting party is a certified butcher. All that is done and placed
in a very low...mobile freezer.
When I get around to using them I use a great marinade with natural
maple sugar and other spices. Delicious for ribs, steaks or roasts.
Usually throw in a cup of Bourbon.

Steve Calvin

Glomis wrote:

> I typically get some of steak, roast, stew meat, ground (or hamburger) meat,
> and various types of sausage made from the animals I shoot. As well, I
> usually bottle about 50Kg of meat - great for camping trips and snowmobile
> trips etc.
>
> I know this was far more information that you probably wanted...but there
> you have it.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

Nope. Actually as a hunter all of my life I understand. (Can't wait
for the whitetail trip to northern Maine in Nov.!) I absolutely agree
with everything that you said.

But, "bottled" meat? Don't think that I've heard of that. What's the
process?

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Steve Calvin