Freezing oil?

Old 03-01-2004, 02:32 PM
EBG
Usenet poster

Default Freezing oil?

Because I use it so rarely, is it possible to freeze canola (or?) oil being
used for deep frying? Is this possible and is there any advantage (or
disadvantage) in doing it?

Will it preserve the oil much longer than regular refrigeration?

Say, take it out the night before to thaw....use it.....put it back for the
next time, maybe months down the road.

Old 03-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Sara Trice
Usenet poster

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 09:32:55 -0500, "EBG" wrote:

Because I use it so rarely, is it possible to freeze canola (or?) oil being
used for deep frying? Is this possible and is there any advantage (or
disadvantage) in doing it?

Will it preserve the oil much longer than regular refrigeration?

Say, take it out the night before to thaw....use it.....put it back for the
next time, maybe months down the road.

There seem to be 2 camps on this issue.

1, you can freeze and reuse it.
Can I reuse cooking oil?
Yes, you can reuse cooked oil several times. You'll know it has gone
bad when it starts smoking at normal temperatures or the color
darkens.
http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/tips4_deepfry.htm

2, it's bad for you if you do.
Friday, December 26, 2003
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Experts say that different types of
cooking oils are better for you than others, and a new study suggests
that the number of times you reuse cooking oils can also affect your
health.

Spanish researchers found that people whose kitchens contained any
type of oil that had been reused many times over were more likely to
have high blood pressure than people whose cooking oils were changed
more frequently.

People who ate foods cooked with sunflower oil also showed a higher
risk of high blood pressure, while consuming more olive oil appeared
to protect people from high blood pressure.

Based on the findings, study author Dr. Federico Soriguer of the
Hospital Civil Plaza in Malaga recommends that people cook with olive
oil whenever possible, and discard any oils after using them up to two
or three times.

Although olive oil is generally considered to be a healthy addition to
meals, the findings suggest that repeatedly reusing the oil may
invalidate its favorable effects on health, Soriguer told Reuters
Health.

full article at:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/n...ory_15310.html

So there you go. Saving some cash vs. upping your blood pressure. I'd
spend the couple of bucks and get new oil, myself.

But whatever you do with it, make sure you dispose of it properly.
http://www.dfwstormwater.com/PubEd/grease.htm
Don't kill the fishies.

~Sara~
Old 04-01-2004, 12:45 AM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

EBG wrote:
Because I use it so rarely, is it possible to freeze canola (or?) oil being
used for deep frying? Is this possible and is there any advantage (or
disadvantage) in doing it?

There's no need to freeze canola oil. I have been using oil out of the same one
gallon jug for at least three years. The bottle spends most of its life in my
cupboard. It does not go rancid. Just make sure you keep the bottle well sealed.